daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 20th, 2015, 01:18 AM   #181
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Likes (Received): 29100

It is in all religions ... building tall is always considered as trying to reach the heavens which is a blasphemy when it is happening on holy lands. In Christianity there is the story of Babel and in Islam, someone told me, there is a verse where it says something like building taller and taller is a sign of the end of days.

Anyhow, we reached a time where, like or not people, religion has become a way to control people, to plant fear into people, to terrorize people, and is and was a main reason of wars and bloodshed. All religions are stained nowadays and until they learn how to separate it from politics (exactly what the West has done the hard way in the past) the middle east will keep on boiling with wars and barbarism.

Sponsored Links
Old May 20th, 2015, 02:03 AM   #182
KøbenhavnK

Likes (Received): 354

Let's stick with buildings.

SA threads seem to derail.
KøbenhavnK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2015, 03:08 AM   #183
SkyLinePana
BANNED

Likes (Received): 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel900 View Post
It is in all religions ... building tall is always considered as trying to reach the heavens which is a blasphemy when it is happening on holy lands. In Christianity there is the story of Babel and in Islam, someone told me, there is a verse where it says something like building taller and taller is a sign of the end of days.

Anyhow, we reached a time where, like or not people, religion has become a way to control people, to plant fear into people, to terrorize people, and is and was a main reason of wars and bloodshed. All religions are stained nowadays and until they learn how to separate it from politics (exactly what the West has done the hard way in the past) the middle east will keep on boiling with wars and barbarism.
That is a refreshingly progressive view.
Religions need to do more to serve those without, and less to serve those with much. Or they will end.
SkyLinePana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2015, 06:06 AM   #184
centralforumdistrict
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

/\ Under your ways of life, we wouldn't have built anything as whatever was there before would have been too sacred!

But is anyone concerned about this being too commercialized?
centralforumdistrict no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2015, 11:39 AM   #185
icedude786

Likes (Received): 794

Please can we get back to the subject of this thread........

As has been suggested a few times, this is not the subject of this thread, which is MECCA | The Holy Mosque Twin Minarets | 420m x 2 | 1378ft x 2 | U/C. If you wish to pontificate on the rights and wrongs of tall buildings and histories of the various generations and religions, we could go on till doomsday. In case you've forgotten here is a reminder of what we should be talking about,

.... so if you have any news, photos of this development please enlighten us, otherwise start a new thread elsewhere.

Ch.W, londonfai liked this post

Last edited by icedude786; May 20th, 2015 at 02:14 PM.
icedude786 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2015, 02:17 PM   #186
Sniper-squeak
'Samii

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedude786 View Post
As has been suggested a few times, this is not the subject of this thread, if you wish to pontificate on the rights and wrongs of tall buildings and histories of the various generations and religions, we could go on till doomsday. In case you've forgotten here is a reminder of what we should be talking about,

.... so if you have any news, photos of this development please enlighten us, otherwise start a new thread elsewhere.
JazakAllah Khayr for the reminder icedude786

I really like this development due to its monumental size. If you can see on the current pictures, they're actually very close to begin the construction of that tall minaret on the left. You can make out the two tall arches and then the four smaller ones that come after.

The question remains if the minaret will actually be built because the space seems pretty thin! Maybe it's just a photo-illusion, we'll find out soon enough!

icedude786 liked this post
Sniper-squeak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2015, 03:32 PM   #187
icedude786

Likes (Received): 794

In the whole scheme of things, whether you like it or not, there are so many tall buildings now surrounding the Holy Mosque, I think these 2 very tall minarets may redress the balance a bit in bringing the Holy Mosque back in to some sort of prominence, although will still be overshadowed by the Clock Tower, but not completely dwarfed with just the existing smaller minarets.

Yes the left one does seem very close to the new Anjum Hotel, but it has to be built to keep the symmetry. As you say, 'we'll find out soon enough'.

Sniper-squeak, Ch.W, londonfai liked this post
icedude786 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2015, 04:09 PM   #188
Sniper-squeak
'Samii

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedude786 View Post
In the whole scheme of things, whether you like it or not, there are so many tall buildings now surrounding the Holy Mosque, I think these 2 very tall minarets may redress the balance a bit in bringing the Holy Mosque back in to some sort of prominence, although will still be overshadowed by the Clock Tower, but not completely dwarfed with just the existing smaller minarets.

Yes the left one does seem very close to the new Anjum Hotel, but it has to be built to keep the symmetry. As you say, 'we'll find out soon enough'.
We should get someone in Makkah to go right to the back, or to the Anjum Hotel and take photo's from there

icedude786 liked this post
Old May 20th, 2015, 09:18 PM   #189
Ch.W

Likes (Received): 5180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper-squeak View Post
We should get someone in Makkah to go right to the back, or to the Anjum Hotel and take photo's from there
On gaoloumi there are a lot of pictures showing different parts of the project seen by ground level. I have tried to check the location from what place the fotos are shoot and what part they actually shows. But it's very difficult to find out if some of them showing the places where the minaretes should be...
Ch.W no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2015, 10:34 PM   #190
tinyslam

Likes (Received): 893

Wow this will truly be a spectacle to see when all of the work is finished. I am really curious to see if the minarets will be inhabited or not.
tinyslam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2015, 11:24 PM   #191
Sniper-squeak
'Samii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.W View Post
On gaoloumi there are a lot of pictures showing different parts of the project seen by ground level. I have tried to check the location from what place the fotos are shoot and what part they actually shows. But it's very difficult to find out if some of them showing the places where the minaretes should be...
Do you have a link?
Old May 20th, 2015, 11:24 PM   #192
Sniper-squeak
'Samii

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyslam View Post
Wow this will truly be a spectacle to see when all of the work is finished. I am really curious to see if the minarets will be inhabited or not.
The muezzin? I'd love to go right to the top of that minaret
Old May 20th, 2015, 11:54 PM   #193
tinyslam

Likes (Received): 893

Will people be able to hear him from 400 m up? Or will they have a PA system?
tinyslam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2015, 01:36 AM   #194
KøbenhavnK

Likes (Received): 354

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyslam View Post
Will people be able to hear him from 400 m up? Or will they have a PA system?
I'm guessing that you've never been to a muslim country so let me enligthen you: Yes people will hear him (if they like it or not).

And about people living in them: They can be compared to church spires. People do not live there (even if a penthouse would make the coolest view in town).

They will have an insaine speaker system though. I wouldn't want to book a room in the clock tower placed 400 meters above the mosque....

But many people will
KøbenhavnK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2015, 08:14 AM   #195
GulfArabia

Likes (Received): 1513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukaitsuri View Post
I am not Muslim, but I really want to say that those giant skyscrapers in Mecca are an insult to Islam's most important place.

It is exactly like if you build a Christian-cross shaped skyscraper in Roma, or a 600m-tall hotel shaped like a fake church.

Those buildings should be in Las Vegas, not in a religious city. Religious cities are what they are, because they are ancient and people can feel the history of religion in those cities.

Those minarets and this Royal clock tower are not ugly, but they shouldn't be there.

And, as described in the story of the tower of Babel, being closer to God doesn't imply building tall towers.

" While Mecca is a site of great historical religious significance,
it cannot be preserved in the familiar sense, as its history has not ended.
You might not appreciate what it looks like – but it matches the tastes and requirements of the present,
as every place of pilgrimage has done in its heyday."

tall towers are just tall towers,,, back in the 70's the 150 meter buildings were considered skyscrapers.. they are there for a reason. the construction in mecca never stops.. the mosque usually gets expanded and the hotels always get bigger... this is what mecca always been for thousands of years.... THIS IS NOT NEW....

BTW: tall towers are not blasphemy in islam.. nor does it mean u are reaching god.
tall towers may be a sign the end is near... just a sign... not blasphemy. ... this is stupid.

hqho1671, captain-gin liked this post
GulfArabia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2015, 11:08 AM   #196
oli83

Likes (Received): 1000

Quote:
Do you have a link?
The mosque renovation and expansion is discussed with tons of pictures in these two local threads :

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=566372

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1437182
oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2015, 02:42 PM   #197
Sniper-squeak
'Samii

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli83 View Post
The mosque renovation and expansion is discussed with tons of pictures in these two local threads :

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=566372

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1437182
I meant for the gaoloumi site
Old May 21st, 2015, 07:13 PM   #198
Ch.W

Likes (Received): 5180

Quote:
Do you have a link?
Here's the link to the gaoloumi page:
http://www.gaoloumi.com/viewthread.p...ge%3D2&page=22
Perhaps you could bringt light into the dark question whether the minaretes are already u/c
Good luck
Ch.W no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2015, 10:22 PM   #199
Sniper-squeak
'Samii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.W View Post
Here's the link to the gaoloumi page:
http://www.gaoloumi.com/viewthread.p...ge%3D2&page=22
Perhaps you could bringt light into the dark question whether the minaretes are already u/c
Good luck
Yeah, I'm on the way there now, just going to ask the site manager :P (I wish)

Ch.W, icedude786 liked this post
Old May 23rd, 2015, 08:31 AM   #200
Daireon
The lunatic is in my head

Likes (Received): 5543

This place will be under construction for ever

GulfArabia liked this post
Daireon no está en línea   Reply With Quote