daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 8th, 2015, 12:43 AM   #241
Copperknickers

Likes (Received): 181

I don't mean to be offensive, but I know many Muslims feel the same: the general theme of Mecca these days is like a young guy who has just got his first car. The old car was a little outdated but looked perfectly nice, and then you had to go and put a massive spoiler and huge exhausts on it. But oh well, I'm sure they said the same about the Taj Mahal.

"Check out da size of mah Minarets akhii!!1"

Sponsored Links
Old September 8th, 2015, 04:13 AM   #242
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 5759

This is true with all symbolic architecture from the Pyramids to Roman temples and Gothic cathedrals. It's all to "show off" and make the believers more obedient to the religious elite, by overwhelming them with grandeur, which also has the side benefit that they will also spend more money. It's always been that way. On the other hand, if everyone was like us, critical of extravagance, there would be no pyramids, no Pantheon, Hagia Sophia, and if you think about it, pretty much all original imperial architecture through the ages originated in temple building. So without people giving all they had to religious edifices we might not have all the variety and complexity of architecture that we have today.

Now the question here is, does building this today in our age add to Arab culture and architecture as a whole, or is it literally just a religious Vegas?
Old September 8th, 2015, 04:22 AM   #243
endar
someah sareng kayungyun

Likes (Received): 8083

i dont know, but we should stop talking about "something else" beside the building construction.

its a fair to get it, that everybody has different point of view about some project.
i have no problem about this mega project, we need some change, the number of muslim population up every second, we need better and bigger holly place. its okay if u are my friend have another point of view, but we need to stop every single post about religion. lets share information, conversation about this project, not "the aqidah/believe" one

some update from local forum

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...37182&page=296
just my cent
endar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2015, 08:07 AM   #244
QalzimCity

Likes (Received): 1065

Just because your religion doesnt have pilgrimage things, does not means you can poke somebody's religion.-low mentality(EQ n IQ) at its best.no offense

Saudi Arabia is doing great with all the expansion and added facilities in pilgrimage cities of mecca and madinah with the metro lines and high speed rail to link between them.kudos from malaysia

ReginaWills liked this post
QalzimCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2015, 09:02 AM   #245
Gabimc

Likes (Received): 722

Why they don't like trees? You have to be really sadistic to build all that in a desert without large gardens, parks, plants, grass, and a lot of trees... They're creating one giant artificial concrete oven
Gabimc está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2015, 09:53 AM   #246
endar
someah sareng kayungyun

not around the ka'ba
because the situation gonna be like this on Hajj time

source

this situation make the muslim need more big mosque there.
the new development really match i guess. and the makkah gov need to build some green area outside the mosque

icedude786, Seoul_Korea, Zaz965 liked this post
Old September 9th, 2015, 02:04 AM   #247
Copperknickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by QalzimCity View Post
Just because your religion doesnt have pilgrimage things, does not means you can poke somebody's religion.-low mentality(EQ n IQ) at its best.no offense

Saudi Arabia is doing great with all the expansion and added facilities in pilgrimage cities of mecca and madinah with the metro lines and high speed rail to link between them.kudos from malaysia
If that post is directed at me, I don't quite understand it. What religion in the world doesn't have pilgrimage sites? Anyhow I don't have a religion. And I don't see how I'm poking fun at Islam by saying I don't like the architecture of a building (unless I missed the chapter of the Quran where it said to build three 420m minarets overlooking the Qa'aba).

Saudi Arabia is indeed doing a great job in improving infrastructure and delivering the kind of spaces needed for the modern Mecca, and some Saudi architecture is absolutely mind-blowing (for example the kingdom tower in Riyadh). Anyway I've said it now, I won't clog up the thread further.

storms991, BadHatter liked this post
Copperknickers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2015, 04:03 AM   #248
endar
someah sareng kayungyun

during the Hajj Season, the project getting hold for several weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakkahLover View Post
Tomorrow Last Day of Work work will resume on 14th October In Sha Allah

some latest photos from local forum

some ceremonial by gov

have no idea, but i think its about the hajj season with opening some mosque extension

source

Ch.W, Mr Cladding, Zaz965 liked this post
Old September 9th, 2015, 06:12 AM   #249
QalzimCity

Likes (Received): 1065

good progress n in time for this hajj season
QalzimCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2015, 09:35 AM   #250
KøbenhavnK

Likes (Received): 354

Please note that the pictures above do not show Muslim devotees. They show secular self-obsessed hypocrites that have all the money in the world but look down on Muslims that don't come from their own countries.

Refugees of Syria! Start walking to Saudi Arabia!

BarbaricManchurian, TallBox liked this post
KøbenhavnK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2015, 09:42 AM   #251
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 3095

This development could house thousands of Muslim refugees...get this idea moving, an answer for the underprivileged and fits their culture more than western countries. It's closer to Syria than most places they are heading. The world would admire you...

Gabriel900 liked this post
redbaron_012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2015, 12:10 PM   #252
icedude786

Likes (Received): 794

Off subject posts

Whilst I respect everyone has a right to an opinion, I feel there are some who hijack threads for spouting their views on various subjects which are not the purpose of the thread. This thread is about the building of the 2 very tall minarets, whether you like the idea or not, it is proposed, is an architecteral challenge and will be built. Yes you can expound views on the 'actual' proposal and progress, but the agenda behind this and political statements and views regarding the general Saudi doctrines etc should be discussed in other threads like in the News and Discussions forum.
Over the last few pages, there has been very little regarding these minarets, and the majority of posts have been off subject. A lot of the other projects news and pics are discussed under the Continental Forums under Saudi Arabia, so even these and Hajj news should be discussed and posted there, not here.

PLEASE, PLEASE STICK TO THE TOPIC AS WE WOULD LOVE TO SEE WHAT IS ACTUALLY HAPPENING.

redbaron_012 liked this post
icedude786 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2015, 04:05 PM   #253
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2623

Actually it's about the building of three very tall minarets, the thread title just wasn't changed yet.
droneriot está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2015, 04:27 PM   #254
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Likes (Received): 29102

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
Actually it's about the building of three very tall minarets, the thread title just wasn't changed yet.
There is no official proof of that! Unless you have that then title will be changed!
Old September 9th, 2015, 05:35 PM   #255
godgame
BANNED

Likes (Received): 650

do they really need a crane for every little building going up there? seems it would be a nightmare coordinating all the lifts, it would be faster with a few less.

decjun, Mr Cladding liked this post
godgame no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2015, 01:19 PM   #256
TheZoolooMaster

- edit
TheZoolooMaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2015, 01:24 PM   #257
King of Construction
skyscraperized

Likes (Received): 254

Quite shocking news from the construction site

Crane collapse kills 107 people at mosque in Mecca days before Hajj

A construction crane crashed through the roof of the Grand Mosque in Mecca, killing 107 people and casting a grim shadow on a yearly pilgrimage that draws millions to Saudi Arabia.

At least 238 others suffered injuries when a powerful storm toppled the crane, according to the nation's civil defense authorities.

The crane fell 10 days before the start of the Hajj, an annual pilgrimage expected to bring 2 million people to Mecca.

The mosque is the largest in the world and surrounds Islam's holiest site known as the Kaaba.

More: http://edition.cnn.com/2015/09/12/mi...pse/index.html

Visited countries: Austria-Belgium-Bosnia & Herzegovina-Bulgaria-Canada-Croatia-Czech Republic-England-France-Germany-Greece-Hong Kong-Italy-Liechtenstein- Luxembourg
Malaysia-Montenegro-Morocco-the Netherlands-Poland-Serbia-Singapore-Spain- Switzerland-Turkey-United Arab Emirates-United States of America-Wales
King of Construction no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2015, 03:29 PM   #258
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8241

This is just horrible, it's hard to imagine how one crane can injure so many hundrets of people, but better it happened now than two weeks in the future, just imagine what number of casualties a mass panic would result in. I hope this sends a message to improve the safety standards there. It's now a third time that I heard something bad in the news and went here exactly afterwards. I hope this stops now.
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2015, 04:10 PM   #259
SkYsCrApEr2013
The AlphaWolf of the Pack

Likes (Received): 2083

So terrible. R.I.P.

Burj Khalifa, Shanghai Tower, Makkah Royal Clock Tower Hotel, Ping An Finance Center,
Goldin Finance 117, One World Trade Center, Chow Tai Fook Centre, Taipei 101, Shanghai World Financial Center and International Commerce Center.

R.I.P. Sawtooth Pack. You will be deeply missed.

I'm a really huge wolf lover! :D

I'M BACK!!!!
SkYsCrApEr2013 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2015, 07:58 PM   #260
TheZoolooMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
This is just horrible, it's hard to imagine how one crane can injure so many hundrets of people, but better it happened now than two weeks in the future, just imagine what number of casualties a mass panic would result in. I hope this sends a message to improve the safety standards there. It's now a third time that I heard something bad in the news and went here exactly afterwards. I hope this stops now.
Actually disasters like this have happened on a regular basis in Mecca around or during the Hajj.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incidents_during_the_Hajj

Just since 1990, several thousand people have being killed as a direct result of poor infrastructure and bad security standards in and around the mosque. It's shameful that the authorities have taken so long to react (they only redesigned certain locations after stampedes there had occurred 3-4 times). It's not as if they don't have the money.
TheZoolooMaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote