daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 11th, 2016, 11:20 AM   #301
Xoussef

Likes (Received): 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedude786 View Post
Currently, The tallest minaret, at 210 metres (689 ft) is located at the Hassan II Mosque in Casablanca, Morocco. So, When (and if) these minarets are built as planned, they will be the tallest in the world.
I am not sure this still holds. Algier's Djamaa is supposed to be 265m tall but I don't know if it is completed yet.

Sponsored Links
Old April 11th, 2016, 02:53 PM   #302
icedude786

Likes (Received): 794

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoussef View Post
I am not sure this still holds. Algier's Djamaa is supposed to be 265m tall but I don't know if it is completed yet.
You're right at 265m but not yet completed. See thread on http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...lgiers&page=11

Xoussef liked this post
icedude786 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2016, 12:54 PM   #303
Manazir

Likes (Received): 505

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedude786 View Post
You're right at 265m but not yet completed. See thread on http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...lgiers&page=11
Yes the Algiers new Grand Mosque will have the tallest minaret unless Mecca takes over this project.

My recently started Travel Blog
Manazir no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2016, 07:57 PM   #304
Skyscraper12345
Skyscraper Lover

Likes (Received): 9

There's also a Holy Mosque Minaret 3.

http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=106501
Old April 12th, 2016, 10:40 PM   #305
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8241

note that the status is proposed. two are under construction and the third one may or may not be a future addition to the project

icedude786, Zaz965 liked this post
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2016, 09:35 PM   #306
icedude786

Update from Brother Nooreng on thread MAKKAH |U/C| Holy Mosque Fourth Expansion http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...66372&page=181

annex towards Shabeeka Cemetry U/C

"In the middle that's a base for tallest minaret U/C"

Further comment on same thread post no. 3604

"the crane at the center of the image is visualy a jumping crane (grows up in hight as the structure grows) and at the haram site we don't see these types of cranes elsewhere but next to minarets"
Old April 24th, 2016, 10:34 PM   #307
Ch.W

Likes (Received): 5180

I wonder when they will finally start with the minarets. The foundation exists since several months, but nothing really happend.
Ch.W no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2016, 01:03 AM   #308
سيدي محمد الشنقي

Likes (Received): 268

I wonder why we never saw an image of the other minaret (the eastern one)
سيدي محمد الشنقي no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2016, 03:05 PM   #309
سيدي محمد الشنقي

Likes (Received): 268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roukaya19 View Post
Can somone see it ?

KlausDiggy, pteranodon, Munwon, mafd12, SLASH_2 liked this post
سيدي محمد الشنقي no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2016, 05:11 PM   #310
Ch.W

Likes (Received): 5180

Any idea how much money the whole project costs?

Zaz965 liked this post
Ch.W no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2016, 10:59 AM   #311
The Polman

Likes (Received): 720

Those new extra tall minarets give an even more disturbing look to this blasphemized site. Humbleness should go before kitsch and other blingbling. Is this the Vegas-kind-of-replica the center of my stepfamily's religion? Their neighbourhood mosque is in dire need of repair, compare it to this...

Doomgoggles, IBeMo., Dequal liked this post
The Polman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2016, 01:19 PM   #312
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2623

I don't get the Vegas comparison. Google "Welthauptstadt Germania" for a more apt comparison.
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2016, 03:22 AM   #313
孟天宝

Likes (Received): 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Polman View Post
Those new extra tall minarets give an even more disturbing look to this blasphemized site. Humbleness should go before kitsch and other blingbling. Is this the Vegas-kind-of-replica the center of my stepfamily's religion? Their neighbourhood mosque is in dire need of repair, compare it to this...
Compare this site to other religious sites around the world and in history.

Europe in the Middle Ages was a veritable hive of activity with architects trying to build taller and taller cathedrals whilst the local parish churches were slowly crumbling into ruins. The Romanesque period [500s to 1100s] of solid foundations and mighty walls gave way to the Gothic period [1100s to 1500s] where architects discovered the flying buttress that let the stress of the imposing facades be devolved to the ground. The height of churches also doubled from the Romanesque Cathedral of Trier (~250ft) to Gothic Old St. Paul's (493ft) in 1240 then to the Lincoln Cathedral (524ft) in 1311.

Constructing these massive edifices what not about being humble but about glorifying the divine. The stained glass windows of Chartres and Notre-Dame de Paris attest to spectacular visions medieval glaziers had. There was perhaps the not-so-modest idea that if a rich man helps fund a large cathedral than God might be more willing to allow him into heaven.

I've always wondered what the common people would think seeing such being built. Would they have wondered if it was a waste of money considering they could scarcely put food on the table for the families? The stonemasons and the carpenters likely thought nothing more than it was a way to earn a living.

In China there is now a trend to build larger and larger statues of Buddha. The Po Lin monastery on Lantau island in Hong Kong is one example - they constructed the 112 ft tall Tian Tan Buddha not twenty years ago. I'm pretty sure there is no precept in any of the sutras stating that Buddha needed such a massive representation of him - and in gold no less. Since then there have been twenty larger Buddhas built across China with the largest topping out at 420 ft - the Zhongyuan Buddha in Henan.

Perhaps there was a time that religious sites were equated with piousness and humility, but after visiting so many different sacred sites around the world, I wonder if that is still true. Most of our wars have been fought due to religious disagreements, so why is it surprising that it drives our construction for spiritual structures?
Old June 29th, 2016, 10:42 PM   #314
GulfArabia

Likes (Received): 1513

I personally think that saudi does this so that the common poor muslim when he sees how grand this place is and how much they spent on it, they'd think that the al saud family are good... Its a very secular family with lots of secretes... So the more money they spend on this the more power and control they gain.. But thats just my opinion, i could be wrong.
Old July 1st, 2016, 05:13 PM   #315
KøbenhavnK

Likes (Received): 354

I hope you're going through a proxy server
Old July 4th, 2016, 12:47 AM   #316
Kyll.Ing.

Likes (Received): 3642

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Polman View Post
The St. Peter's Basilica was also one of the most sacred churches in Christendom, but it was demolished so a humongous religious building could be built. It was one of the tallest buildings in the world when it opened, cost absurd amounts of money to build, and its erection turned the holiest site in mainland Europe into a construction site for more than 120 years. It employed the most advanced construction techniques of its time, and was decorated by the finest artists and artisans available, all so that the heads of the religion could have a really big, nice and awesome-looking building as the center of their church.

What the Saudis are doing to Mecca might be a little disrespectful and garish, but in all fairness they weren't the first to do it. As 孟天宝 said, this kind of behaviour isn't atypical for leaders of big and popular religions, or pilgrim sites in general.

Леонид liked this post
Kyll.Ing. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2016, 05:30 AM   #317
412lakes

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by 孟天宝 View Post
Compare this site to other religious sites around the world and in history.

Europe in the Middle Ages was a veritable hive of activity with architects trying to build taller and taller cathedrals whilst the local parish churches were slowly crumbling into ruins. The Romanesque period [500s to 1100s] of solid foundations and mighty walls gave way to the Gothic period [1100s to 1500s] where architects discovered the flying buttress that let the stress of the imposing facades be devolved to the ground. The height of churches also doubled from the Romanesque Cathedral of Trier (~250ft) to Gothic Old St. Paul's (493ft) in 1240 then to the Lincoln Cathedral (524ft) in 1311.

Constructing these massive edifices what not about being humble but about glorifying the divine. The stained glass windows of Chartres and Notre-Dame de Paris attest to spectacular visions medieval glaziers had. There was perhaps the not-so-modest idea that if a rich man helps fund a large cathedral than God might be more willing to allow him into heaven.

I've always wondered what the common people would think seeing such being built. Would they have wondered if it was a waste of money considering they could scarcely put food on the table for the families? The stonemasons and the carpenters likely thought nothing more than it was a way to earn a living.

In China there is now a trend to build larger and larger statues of Buddha. The Po Lin monastery on Lantau island in Hong Kong is one example - they constructed the 112 ft tall Tian Tan Buddha not twenty years ago. I'm pretty sure there is no precept in any of the sutras stating that Buddha needed such a massive representation of him - and in gold no less. Since then there have been twenty larger Buddhas built across China with the largest topping out at 420 ft - the Zhongyuan Buddha in Henan.

Perhaps there was a time that religious sites were equated with piousness and humility, but after visiting so many different sacred sites around the world, I wonder if that is still true. Most of our wars have been fought due to religious disagreements, so why is it surprising that it drives our construction for spiritual structures?
Were the Romans, the Huns, Mongols driven by religion? How about WW1 or Hitler or the emperor of Japan? Stalin's war against his own people was not tied to any religion. Let's try the Korean War or Vietnam, Pol Pot or Idi Amin, none driven by religion. The Muslims did butcher and murder their way across the Mediterranean Basin at one time and later the Crusaders took it back. Most wars are NOT about religion! Sorry, forgot Chairman Mao responsible for the murder and starvation of tens of millions of his fellow citizens.

Last edited by 412lakes; July 4th, 2016 at 05:46 PM.
412lakes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2016, 06:10 AM   #318
Victhor
Que paza!!!

Likes (Received): 1706

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfArabia View Post
I personally think that saudi does this so that the common poor muslim when he sees how grand this place is and how much they spent on it, they'd think that the al saud family are good... Its a very secular family with lots of secretes... So the more money they spend on this the more power and control they gain.. But thats just my opinion, i could be wrong.
Totally agree!!!.
And I could say more about rich religion leaders, they are all about money and power, but better I shut up, that's enough, this is a skyscraper forum
I like them to build these extreme strange thing though, but I think in the long term, as muslim world become more pacific, smarter and more mature, they will feel embarrassed of this. I know a lot of them already feel this way.
Victhor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2016, 02:16 PM   #319
CrystalPhoenix
BANNED

Likes (Received): 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyll.Ing. View Post
The St. Peter's Basilica was also one of the most sacred churches in Christendom, but it was demolished so a humongous religious building could be built. It was one of the tallest buildings in the world when it opened, cost absurd amounts of money to build, and its erection turned the holiest site in mainland Europe into a construction site for more than 120 years. It employed the most advanced construction techniques of its time, and was decorated by the finest artists and artisans available, all so that the heads of the religion could have a really big, nice and awesome-looking building as the center of their church.

What the Saudis are doing to Mecca might be a little disrespectful and garish, but in all fairness they weren't the first to do it. As 孟天宝 said, this kind of behaviour isn't atypical for leaders of big and popular religions, or pilgrim sites in general.
True, but we live a modern world. No more kings and slaves. People used to get punished by stoning or having their hands cut off or...
CrystalPhoenix no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2016, 06:55 PM   #320
icedude786

Originally posted by brother Nooreng on the Fourth expansion thread:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=3698

and on http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=3699

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHgog-5hVs2/

progress on the large minaret ?