daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 15th, 2016, 04:34 PM   #321
سيدي محمد الشنقي

Likes (Received): 268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roukaya19 View Post

No giant minarets and no umbrellas are shown in this recent rendering

Sasha 74 liked this post
سيدي محمد الشنقي no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2016, 05:22 PM   #322
iamxeddiex
Wankel

Likes (Received): 307

I have been following this project for years now and I would like to say, I'm having doubts about the giant minarets.
iamxeddiex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2016, 05:49 PM   #323
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Likes (Received): 29153

So I'm not the only one who can't see them? I always had my doubts. Can we get a confirmation once and for all about the status of them minarets?

KillerZavatar liked this post
Gabriel900 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2016, 06:26 PM   #324
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

It would not suprise me if these were cancelled, KSA is cutting construction projects and other investments these days.

KillerZavatar liked this post
germantower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2016, 08:08 PM   #325
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8242

that really sucks, they would have made an amazing counterweight to Abraj Al Bait

pteranodon liked this post
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2016, 03:17 AM   #326
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2623

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
It would not suprise me if these were cancelled, KSA is cutting construction projects and other investments these days.
It would surprise me a bit since Mecca is pretty much their biggest non-oil industry.
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2016, 09:27 AM   #327
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

i doubt they cut funding for the expansion project, but the giant towers would sadly make sense to be among the first things to be cut. hope not though.
Old October 16th, 2016, 11:34 AM   #328
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

To be honest, I still find the volume and size of this amazing. If you look back in history, such projects would be unmanagable and hardly to execute, these days we build such things, a 1km+ tower in Jeddah, a 1km tower gets build in Dubai, we have skyscrapers build above train yards in NYC, etc. etc. etc. It´s a crazy time to live in. I wonder if coming generations in lets say 3000 years will think we had the help of aliens to build all this stuff.

germantower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2016, 11:50 AM   #329
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Likes (Received): 29153

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post

i doubt they cut funding for the expansion project, but the giant towers would sadly make sense to be among the first things to be cut. hope not though.
It might not only be because of funding. I have a Saudi friend who told me that no one is really happy with that oversized clock tower in Mecca, as its diverting all attention from the worship to the clock tower. This could be one of the reasons they stopped going through with such minarets?
Old October 16th, 2016, 12:47 PM   #330
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2623

lol remember the debates on every page in the Abraj Al-Bait thread with people from US/Europe saying just that - the oversized clock tower would divert attention to worship - and all Middle East users saying stuff like blah blah you're so stupid it wouldn't distract, people are there to worship and can't be distracted? Sometimes it helps to listen to neutral opinions from those not involved.

I can easily see how their projects in Mecca would make them less popular with visitors, not more popular. It's like they're saying to Muslims around the world "look Mecca is in OUR COUNTRY, IN YOUR FACE SUCKERS!!" Nothing wrong with adding a little grandeur to a holy site, but going completely insane overboard can be a disaster, and even in grandeur there can be a modicum of modesty.

Now all that said, the positive thing I can say about the minarets plan is that it would at least bring some attention back to the mosque and away from Creepy Space Vegas Big Ben Empire State Building. It's sad that anything would have to artificially draw pilgrims' attention back to the holiest site of their religion though, never would have been an issue if they hadn't gone for delusional megaprojects right next to it.
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2016, 04:07 PM   #331
icedude786

Likes (Received): 794

Quote:
Originally Posted by سيدي محمد الشنقي View Post

Second most recent render that doesn't show the giant minarets ... they abandoned the idea ?

I noticed not shown on new SAR500 note also:

icedude786 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2016, 11:58 PM   #332
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

why would a country print a project, that is not yet finished, on money. If something unexpected happens and the project has to change, their failure would be imprinted on the money in circulation for decades to come.

ollo, plarsson95, QalzimCity liked this post
Old December 18th, 2016, 01:10 PM   #333
imti

Likes (Received): 1

would look better if it was a whole circle, but still nice
imti no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2017, 07:20 PM   #334
kanye
WDNF-Mod | RIP desertpunk

Likes (Received): 8514

X-post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nooreng View Post
via @meccamoon
Mukabarriyyah II

kanye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2017, 04:45 AM   #335
QalzimCity

Likes (Received): 1065

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
lol remember the debates on every page in the Abraj Al-Bait thread with people from US/Europe saying just that - the oversized clock tower would divert attention to worship - and all Middle East users saying stuff like blah blah you're so stupid it wouldn't distract, people are there to worship and can't be distracted? Sometimes it helps to listen to neutral opinions from those not involved.

I can easily see how their projects in Mecca would make them less popular with visitors, not more popular. It's like they're saying to Muslims around the world "look Mecca is in OUR COUNTRY, IN YOUR FACE SUCKERS!!" Nothing wrong with adding a little grandeur to a holy site, but going completely insane overboard can be a disaster, and even in grandeur there can be a modicum of modesty.

Now all that said, the positive thing I can say about the minarets plan is that it would at least bring some attention back to the mosque and away from Creepy Space Vegas Big Ben Empire State Building. It's sad that anything would have to artificially draw pilgrims' attention back to the holiest site of their religion though, never would have been an issue if they hadn't gone for delusional megaprojects right next to it.
hey, can you justify the word going to be less popular? it doesnt make sense... this is pilgrimage site of the fastest growing religion in the world... and performing hajj is one of the 5 pillars in Islam... the site will be more n more visited by the peoples accross the time, no matter there is tower or no tower, expanded or no expansion... atleast their gov is doing something for the pilgrims comfort.
ill be performing my first umrah next month for Ramadhan... although, it is quite expensive due to the weaken Malaysian Ringgit against the Riyal
QalzimCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote