daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 18th, 2015, 07:10 PM   #141
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2623

That looks like the worst climate out of any city in the world. Though I'm the kind of guy who dreams about moving to Svalbard one day.
droneriot está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 18th, 2015, 07:27 PM   #142
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

LOL, I would say Svalbard has probably the worst climate on the planet

I plan on moving to French Guiana after my studies are complete to escape the freezing cold here in Slovakia. I would prefer a hot desert climate over a rainforest climate, however the EU has none of such places and I don't have the nerves for all of that visa and residency permit stuff necessary for countries outside the EU. Besides, the best desert climates are mostly either in foreigner hostile countires or war torn countries. But a rainforest climate is very good too, so French Guiana will definitely suffice
Old March 18th, 2015, 07:31 PM   #143
GulfArabia

Likes (Received): 1513

i don't know if u'v ever experienced heat before.. but anything higher than 35 C is unbearable .... (without AC)
GulfArabia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2015, 07:32 PM   #144
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Oh I have, I'm a sauna fanatic. I also witnessed when Bratislava broke it's record with 39 °C. That day I was reading a book outside on the sun the whole afternoon
Old March 18th, 2015, 07:56 PM   #145
thatmfeeling
MPWhite

Likes (Received): 164

35 really is not a pleasant temperature to experience, especially when there is no air conditioning! I guess that explains why the only greenery is painted on the roofs!
thatmfeeling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2015, 11:47 PM   #146
Sniper-squeak
'Samii

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
If I put minarets and outlying edge from the render and put it onto picture, I get this:

green - (almost) finished smaller minarets (7)
orange - smaller minarets in construction (5)
blue - supertall minarets to be constructed (2)
white - outlying edge of construction

This means that no additional hotel will be destroyed because of current Great Mosque expansion.
I'm sure you've got that annotation wrong. The blue outline you've drawn for the supertall minarets is actually meant to be further back than what you've drawn! Check the renders again and you'll see what I mean

Kirgam, nooreng liked this post
Sniper-squeak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2015, 01:48 AM   #147
keber

Likes (Received): 1346

Not much further, I think. We'll see in coming months. I'm sure that I guessed pretty much well.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2015, 02:21 PM   #148
Sniper-squeak
'Samii

Quote:
Not much further, I think. We'll see in coming months. I'm sure that I guessed pretty much well.
I hope that you're right in any case, put my doubts to rest lol!
Old March 20th, 2015, 05:44 PM   #149
Ch.W

Likes (Received): 5180

by 猴子魔君

Munwon, Kirgam, Zaz965 liked this post
Ch.W no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2015, 11:53 AM   #150
Ch.W

not from today but a very nice view for all crane enthusiasts

by 猴子魔君

Indica, bbq, Kirgam, roxasnobody, Radio Raheem and 1 others liked this post
Old March 21st, 2015, 11:54 PM   #151
Indica
Top of the World

Likes (Received): 156

Everything has to be carefully planned out. Some of those cranes are so close to each other, that they easily could smack into the next one over. Absolute logistics nightmare.

Ch.W liked this post
Indica no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2015, 12:30 AM   #152
Indica
Top of the World

Likes (Received): 156

Quote:
If I put minarets and outlying edge from the render and put it onto picture, I get this:

green - (almost) finished smaller minarets (7)
orange - smaller minarets in construction (5)
blue - supertall minarets to be constructed (2)
white - outlying edge of construction

This means that no additional hotel will be destroyed because of current Great Mosque expansion.

This makes perfect sense... When you look at the pic, it does appear there is room for this massive Minaret and I am assuming there is roughly the same clearance on the right side as well. In fact, if you look closely enough at the left one, you can see the outline of the base where it fits on. Its tight and everything is crammed in there good, but it looks like there is still enough room for them to do this.

A question - There are buildings that surround the main area (where the stone is located), and it appears that they are rebuilding these. What are they for? One of them has a circular ramp that climbs up the side of the structure. Is that like some sort indoor path that is broken into several floors, to handle the massive numbers of pilgrims during the Hajj?

Generally, I am not particularly fond of places that ban certain ethnic backgrounds, or just western tourists in general, but I find myself very curious. I think it would be smart to allow limited amounts of tourists from the outside to come and see this wonder, which would allow better understanding on this culture. However that is their choice, but this should really be something to behold once its all done.

Kirgam liked this post
Indica no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2015, 03:07 PM   #153
Sniper-squeak
'Samii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indica View Post
This makes perfect sense... When you look at the pic, it does appear there is room for this massive Minaret and I am assuming there is roughly the same clearance on the right side as well. In fact, if you look closely enough at the left one, you can see the outline of the base where it fits on. Its tight and everything is crammed in there good, but it looks like there is still enough room for them to do this.

I'm sorry but I completely disagree (mainly with the blue annotation). Look at these pictures and compare them.

Look at the render and you'll see that the base which was annotated, is NOT for the minaret. It's for that small square thing - I can't draw it onto the picture, but do you see where I'm coming from? And if you keep following it back in the actual photo, the construction just stops.

Don't get me wrong, my concern is only with the minaret on the left.

Gabriel900, Ch.W liked this post

Last edited by Sniper-squeak; March 22nd, 2015 at 05:26 PM.
Old March 22nd, 2015, 04:02 PM   #154
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Likes (Received): 29102

These minarets are not even in the Ground Works stage, or what? Can we please put them in the Proposed section if so because it is just ridiculous keeping this thread here based on faith with no physical evidence whatsoever
Old March 22nd, 2015, 05:24 PM   #155
Sniper-squeak
'Samii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel900 View Post
These minarets are not even in the Ground Works stage, or what? Can we please put them in the Proposed section if so because it is just ridiculous keeping this thread here based on faith with no physical evidence whatsoever
I think there's certainty that the foundations have been laid and work is commencing.

It's healthy to continue to investigate the progress of these supposed minarets to determine whether they will eventually come into existence or not

Ch.W, Mahdi Rasoul liked this post
Old March 23rd, 2015, 04:43 PM   #156
Gerard
registered muse

Likes (Received): 710

it's almost as if the cranes are worshippers too. Amazing how much cranes are there.

Mahdi Rasoul liked this post
Gerard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2015, 08:58 PM   #157
Sniper-squeak
'Samii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
it's almost as if the cranes are worshippers too. Amazing how much cranes are there.
And most of them seem to be facing away from the Ka'aba in the above pictures oh, the irony!

Gabriel900 liked this post
Old March 23rd, 2015, 10:44 PM   #158
Mahdi Rasoul

Likes (Received): 217

del

Last edited by Mahdi Rasoul; August 14th, 2017 at 11:50 PM.
Mahdi Rasoul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2015, 10:56 PM   #159
Ch.W

Quote:
I'm sorry but I completely disagree (mainly with the blue annotation). Look at these pictures and compare them.

Look at the render and you'll see that the base which was annotated, is NOT for the minaret. It's for that small square thing - I can't draw it onto the picture, but do you see where I'm coming from? And if you keep following it back in the actual photo, the construction just stops.

Don't get me wrong, my concern is only with the minaret on the left.
I agree with this. The place for the right minaret seems to be actually where the blu lines are. The left one must be more behind your drawings, but i wonder how they will build it there. In the render is a small distance and a street beetween minaret and the building still under construction. This seems to be colliding with the recent construction pictures. Strange...

Mahdi Rasoul liked this post
Old March 24th, 2015, 12:33 AM   #160
keber

Likes (Received): 1346

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.A View Post

When I was drawing outlines I was orienting myself to second render, which I find more representative as it shows somehow less than first and looks more realistic too.

However I agree that I put blue outline for left minaret too close to the center, it should be a bit further back (for one outline). Still hotel behind it wouldn't need to be destroyed as it seems to be enough space available. Despite height minaret will still be a pretty thin structure.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote