daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 18th, 2016, 01:15 AM   #541
Zaz965
Temer Out!

Likes (Received): 25992

I love boxy building

Sponsored Links
Old February 18th, 2016, 04:03 AM   #542
Almenac-SS
The Lurker

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
I have to admit slight disappointment that it isn't something more instantly memorable, and to have the conversation boil down to "cladding is make-or-break", for yet another Korean project, particularly one which will be so prominent in Seoul's skyline, is a real let-down. But that seems more likely to be yet another indictment against the lack of vision amongst Hyundai's leadership than the architect, or even the design.

It will be an excellent contrast with LWT, and the blandness of the design would be a bigger problem if it'd be lost among a bunch of other supertalls, and I love a monolithic, megalithic structure such as this, but...once again, the general sense of relief that it isn't tasteless--and if the cladding "makes" this tower instead of "breaking" it, it will be a very long-lived design--is discolored by the disappointment in how unimaginative and unadventurous it makes Hyundai seem.

As a follower of the automotive world, I'd say that's probably the last thing Hyundai needs. That (along with the fact that Korean involvement in the design of the project seems to have been pretty minimal, and that there doesn't seem to be anything particularly Korean about the design, other than perhaps some Joseon-era, Neo-Confucian minimalism) is the real problem I have with this project.

Edit: After further inspection of the renders, my point is further borne out: not a single vehicle included in those renders is any type of Hyundai vehicle. How un-aspirational and non-inspirational must Hyundai's products be, and how ultimately unimportant must those products seem to the client (...which would be Hyundai) that the designer didn't see fit to include any of the company's vehicles in the renders? If the bread-and-butter of my business was automobiles, and I were building a new global HQ for that business, I'd think I'd want some of my vehicles included in the pictures.

I know it probably seems like a nitpicky, piddling detail, but again, my perspective is reaffirmed--Hyundai ultimately doesn't understand the way prestige works in the automotive industry, and/or if they do, they don't seem to care. Car people know this, and a massive building isn't going to do anything to enhance the company's appeal.
I think it's a little unfair to knock off the design of this tower based on these renders. I also think it's unfair to judge Hyundai like that.

We're talking about the world's fourth largest auto manufacturer, not some back water third-rate company. They are as much at the "frontier" of the auto market as Toyota/GM/VW/etc.
And I don't see those other guys building a super tall like this.

As for design and vision, Hyundai wouldn't have contracted Peter Shreyer - arguably one of the best designers period - if the company execs didn't have "taste" or a sense for what's good.

humptydumpty7, Zaz965 liked this post
Almenac-SS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2016, 04:52 AM   #543
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1024

The company is obviously smart enough to know that design sells, but they're so focused on selling, and what they perceive as brand elevation, that they still aren't taken entirely seriously as an automaker among hard-core automotive enthusiasts.

Much though I tend to think that judgment ultimately unfair, as they do make good cars and got where they are exceedingly quickly, they are perceived as purveyors of essentially passion-less vehicles, which even I will admit appears to be a pretty easy-to-justify view. The fact that Toyota/GM/VW/etc. haven't done a tower like this ought to be indicative of the fact that this kind of thing doesn't matter at all to the kind of people who help vehicles get headlines--automotive journalists. In fact, the investment of so much company money into what is clearly a vanity project that has nothing to do with cars themselves just confirms what all of Hyundai's biggest detractors say about the company: Hyundai really doesn't care about cars.

It might be one thing if Hyundai had had an automotive "moment"--a Toyota 2000GT or Lexus LS, or Honda NSX, or Nissan Skyline GT-R--which showed that they were genuinely interested in the automotive industry for its own sake (in addition to the obvious profit motivation). In that case, people would just glibly write of Chung Mong-ku as possessing the kind of megalomania that makes people like Ferdinand Piech or Sergio Marchionne so...endearing.

In absence of that kind of brand-making product, one which exceeded the competition so completely, or reimagined what kind of thing a type of car could be, all this does is serve as a kind of Potemkin village. Hyundai appears more interested in telling the world how great it is than having it show its greatness through its product.

That's why this project matters so much to me. I love cars, and I love Korea, so to see a project which seems, in its own way, to do such a disservice to the Korean automotive industry by the very people who would gain the most from its advancement is a far larger disappointment than almost any design failing could be.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2016, 05:21 AM   #544
KDreamer
Marketing & Fashion, yo.

Likes (Received): 519

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH16 View Post
Yeah, to some extent, it reminds of the CTF and IFC in Guangzhou.
I'm a big fan of CTF, which is a tad boxy, but it at least has some design elements that break it up; ie the "terraced" type exterior and the angled crown.

This tower is literally just an extruded square. I'm disappointed but let's wait and see.
"I’ve been to the other side and let me tell you, son, there’s f*cking nothing there...there’s no one waiting there for you, there’s no one to judge you so you can do what you bloody well like." -- Kerry Packer on being clinically dead for 6 minutes.
KDreamer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2016, 09:28 AM   #545
SH16

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDreamer View Post
I'm a big fan of CTF, which is a tad boxy, but it at least has some design elements that break it up; ie the "terraced" type exterior and the angled crown.

This tower is literally just an extruded square. I'm disappointed but let's wait and see.
I agree with you on that. The CTF's design is much more sophisticated, I would rank it among the top 5 skyscrapers in the world at this moment. But let's indeed wait and see, perhaps the GBC turns out much better than expected.

That's why the comparison I made is only limited to the broad shapes of the buildings: a boxy and curvy supertall that are relatively close to each other. CTF and GBC can be considered as boxy while LWT and IFC are the curvy ones.
SH16 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2016, 11:21 AM   #546
The seventh shape
Master of his domain

Likes (Received): 819

[QUOTE=humptydumpty7;130785108]

"And most importantly: Architectural firms have to consider the client's whishes and needs and design accordingly. If Hyundai wants a box (to maximize floors space) then SOM has to deliver a box, and not a double-helix twin tower for example."

I doubt that such practical considerations are the main motivations behind this project. Isn't this tower supposed to be making a statement? And does a box design suit that purpose well? It is strange that Hyundai would pay so much money for this land and go through all the other trouble they had, and then after all that, decide to build a generic box on it. If their aim was simply to house their employees and maximise floor space they could have done it a lot cheaper.

aquaticko liked this post
The seventh shape no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2016, 11:27 AM   #547
humptydumpty7

Likes (Received): 4626

Quote:
Originally Posted by The seventh shape View Post

I doubt that such practical considerations are the main motivations behind this project. Isn't this tower supposed to be making a statement?
Its probably both: practical considerations (large floorspace per floor, to not split up one department on multiple floors) + making a statement (gigantic office tower with a world-class observatory and a car exhibition in 500m height)

It's not the prettiest design, but there is probably a reason why Hyundai decided that this design is the best.

Zaz965 liked this post
humptydumpty7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2016, 11:36 AM   #548
inno4321

Likes (Received): 12418

Quote:
Originally Posted by The seventh shape View Post
I'd also add that the idea that this vicinity will be turned into an urban space to match central Shibuya or Times Square is risible. The area simply doesn't have the density to compare with those places. This and Trade Tower are separated by an intimidating 10 lane road, while the other places don't have roads as intimidatingly wide. Central Shibuya and Times Square are at major intersections of more than two roads, while this site will be built around just one major road. This is also unlikely to ever have a pedestrian count comparable to those places, which is what makes them so attractive to advertisers.

well your opinions make a sense. Cause this area not center of seoul but outskirt from CBD. SHIBUYA and Time square located on very center of city.
But hyundai tower it isn't.
So brilliant led advertisement idea not Best OR ideal place.

but underground is different 8 New Mega high speed transit such like a GTX and subway light transit etc will be built underground.
I think not only 553m tower construction but also underground mass transportation project is very interesting.
Cause those underground area WILL BE WORLD MOST COMPLICATED transfer Intersection in there. So we must see not only over huge empty loaded but look below too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria123 View Post
Inno, do you mind if you can update the height of this project (553m) at SSP?
Thanks!!
done friend.

"Theory of Quantum Mechanics, theory of Inflation, M-theory imply Multiverses. Probably We're a part of Infinity&Nothing" inno4321

Sister Ray, Zaz965 liked this post
inno4321 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2016, 11:39 AM   #549
inno4321

Quote:
Originally Posted by humptydumpty7 View Post
Its probably both: practical considerations (large floorspace per floor, to not split up one department on multiple floors) + making a statement (gigantic office tower with a world-class observatory and a car exhibition in 500m height)

It's not the prettiest design, but there is probably a reason why Hyundai decided that this design is the best.

speculation not enough. but i will explain why hyundai choose that design. step by step

"Theory of Quantum Mechanics, theory of Inflation, M-theory imply Multiverses. Probably We're a part of Infinity&Nothing" inno4321

Zaz965 liked this post
Old February 18th, 2016, 11:50 AM   #550
inno4321

seoul has 2030 city plan

seoul designated 3 area as MAJOR CENTER of city.

1-CBD =>center of history and culture
2-YEUIDO => international financing
3-GANGNAM=>international business

among them HYUNDAI TOWER located on 3(gangnam)

Zaz965 liked this post
Old February 18th, 2016, 11:55 AM   #551
inno4321

Look there are new tall building will be built between HYUNDAI and LWT

Zaz965 liked this post
Old February 18th, 2016, 11:59 AM   #552
inno4321

New project will be there between HYUNDAI TOWER AND LOTTE 555M

dumb and dumber mayor dislike skyscraper so it will be not supertall one but I sure that it will be interesting tall tower will be built there. expectation.

p.s above sources not mention in korea news paper.

Last edited by inno4321; February 18th, 2016 at 12:19 PM.
Old February 18th, 2016, 12:17 PM   #553
inno4321

9 by Inno Inno, Flickr에서
X-brace structure influenced from fibonacci number!
HYUNDAI project's moto is Inspired by nature and Evolved Perfection. that TWO motive reflection in tower design as X-brace.
that x shape easily can see from outside.
X structure will be prevent twist of tower from wind's flow.

Most over 100fl supertall design tend to be Narrow as by upper floor direction due to Wind's resistance. I.E burj kalipa
but hyundai tower design as SQUARE SHAPE.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old February 19th, 2016, 06:15 AM   #554
inno4321

imo HYUNDAI TOWER resemble with Parc1
TODAY OFFICIAL Parc1 project resume
So I gonna very busy to take a phtos
let's counting
1. LWT
2. HYUNDAI 553M's demolish+construction progress
3. Parc1 of yeuido 69fl+53fl construction
4. My home town lotte gold park progress
and other seoul project too.

I have to clean up my camera lens

Last edited by inno4321; February 19th, 2016 at 06:22 AM.
Old February 19th, 2016, 08:06 AM   #555
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Quote:
Originally Posted by inno4321 View Post
no 526 but 553m
Even better
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2016, 10:36 AM   #556
The seventh shape
Master of his domain

Likes (Received): 819

Park 1 looks good. And they make those horrible LG towers look not as prominent.
The seventh shape no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2016, 08:04 PM   #557
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1024

I've always hated those LG twins. Hopefully we'll at least see a remodel before too long.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2016, 03:28 PM   #558
humptydumpty7

Likes (Received): 4626

a bit of nostalgy:

Year 1985: The grey building in the background is KEPCO, the location where Hyundai GBC will be erected soon.
In the foreground you can see COEX under construction and the trade tower (orange steel framework)

source: https://www.facebook.com/designerspa...type=3&theater
Old March 7th, 2016, 03:35 PM   #559
inno4321

Quote:
Originally Posted by humptydumpty7 View Post
a bit of nostalgy:

Year 1985: The grey building in the background is KEPCO, the location where Hyundai GBC will be erected soon.
In the foreground you can see COEX under construction and the trade tower (orange steel framework)

source: https://www.facebook.com/designerspa...type=3&theater

http://blog.joins.com/media/folderli...st_id=13501459

I should buying this land when before gangnam develop. at 80s at that time these area just rural. poor farmer digging soil with cow.

btw miss jun ji hyun who korea most famous actress buying another detached house around HYUNDAI 105FL.
http://star.mk.co.kr/v2/view.php?sc=...2016&no=174292
she buying this land as about $4 millions usd.
except this new houses already she has many real estate in seoul.

i.e another samseongdong house 75억
another apartment in samseongdong
5fl commercial building in nounhyundong(현 시세 약 170억)
2fl commercial building in e chon dong (현 시세 약 65억 원)
bilar in daechedong

Total 6 real estate in seoul!(3 house in samseoungdong: around hyundai tower) I like who investment in seoul!
samsung founder lee gun hee also has his home in samseongdong

Victoria123, Zaz965 liked this post
Old March 7th, 2016, 05:12 PM   #560
Victoria123

Likes (Received): 1765

In case it wasn't mentioned already, the demolition of the current KEPCO building is scheduled in late May.

Quote:
현대차는 오는 5월 말부터 본격적으로 옛 한전본사 건물의 철거에 들어갈 것으로 예상된다. 옛 한전본사 지하에 위치한 변전소 이전 공사도 시기를 맞춰 진행될 것으로 관측된다. 건축물 해체는 철거 예정일 7일 전에 관할구청에 신고하면 되기 때문에 별도 행정절차를 밟지 않아도 된다. 변전소 이전 공사도 이미 지난해 말 강남구청과 사전 협의를 마친 상태다.
http://www.thebell.co.kr/front/free/...00019810001192

aquaticko, Munwon, kimahrikku1 liked this post
Victoria123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote