daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 19th, 2014, 11:04 PM   #1
mw123

Likes (Received): 2671

BRISBANE | Public Transport

This thread is for news and photos of Brisbane Public Transport. Brisbane is Australia's third largest city and has a network utilising, commuter rail (known as Citytrain), buses (including BRT) and ferries. The Citytrain network is 689km in route length and has 146 stations.

Translink is the agency responsible for public transport in the entire SE Queensland region (this includes the Gold Coast).

TransLink information in King George Station by yksin, on Flickr

The electronic ticketing system is known as 'GoCard' as seen in top right.

One nation, similar technologies, seven different transit cards by thewinchester, on Flickr

IMU 100, brisbane Airport, August 26th 2005 by Suburban_Guard, on Flickr

Airport flyer by 47085 Mammoth, on Flickr

Citytrain, Roma Street, Brisbane, August 25th 2005 by Suburban_Guard, on Flickr

They come and go. by Artlyshot, on Flickr

Cultural Centre busway station by brisbanebus, on Flickr

Brisbane River from Hamilton-06+ by Sheba_Also, on Flickr

Transdev TSL Brisbane Ferries by brisbanebuses, on Flickr

geometarkv, tunnel owl, lkstrknb liked this post

Last edited by mw123; March 6th, 2015 at 03:26 PM.
mw123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 20th, 2014, 09:00 AM   #2
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26132

Also map from urbanrail.net:

Old September 20th, 2014, 04:57 PM   #3
tunnel owl

Likes (Received): 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw123 View Post
This thread is for news and photos of Brisbane Public Transport. Brisbane is Australia's third largest city and has a network utilising, commuter rail (known as Citytrain), buses (including BRT) and ferries. The Citytrain network is 689km in route length and has 146 stations.
Thanks for opening this thread. Does anybody have pics of the BRT-System, in special of underground-stations of the BRT-System. It must be an impressive System with many parts grade-seperated and foreseen for future LRT-use. Is there a map, that shows that BRT-System?
tunnel owl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2014, 07:38 PM   #4
dimlys1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnel owl View Post
Thanks for opening this thread. Does anybody have pics of the BRT-System, in special of underground-stations of the BRT-System. It must be an impressive System with many parts grade-seperated and foreseen for future LRT-use. Is there a map, that shows that BRT-System?
I think these ones, link:

dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2014, 09:12 PM   #5
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Brisbane has that much rail? That's a pleasant surprise to me.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2014, 10:05 PM   #6
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8810

It's a bit neglected though. I never liked using it too much thanks to the off-peak frequency of around 30 minutes on all lines. It seemed a little under dimensioned and under utilised compared to the other Australian cities. Brisbane appears to very heavily be a bus city. Take a look of some videos of the Cultural Centre Bus Station on YouTube, it's quite phenomenal.

Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2014, 03:46 AM   #7
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

It's a real travesty, as they're throwing enough money into these easily-clogged bus routes to have built a high capacity rail line
Old September 22nd, 2014, 01:32 PM   #8
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
It's a bit neglected though. I never liked using it too much thanks to the off-peak frequency of around 30 minutes on all lines. It seemed a little under dimensioned and under utilised compared to the other Australian cities. Brisbane appears to very heavily be a bus city. Take a look of some videos of the Cultural Centre Bus Station on YouTube, it's quite phenomenal.

Yeah, Brisbane is a bus city. Despite its large train network, it doesn't appear to be that good. Even Perth, which is considerably smaller, has more train passengers (Wiki lists it as 55m p/a for Brisbane, and 65m p/a for Perth, but who knows how accurate these numbers are).

This Wiki article (again, discretion advised) lists the ridership for entire SEQ region being at 150,000 per day (trains only), Perth at 160,000, Melbourne at 800,000 and Sydney at 1,000,000. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commuter_rail_in_Australia
Old September 22nd, 2014, 08:52 PM   #9
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Quality and/or frequency must be bad then. Just by reach the network looks quite extensive for a city of this size...

Not so long ago I was under impression that Australian cities outside Sydney and Melbourne are a bit like 2nd tier US cities with no public transport other than buses for poor people. I see now that it's not quite like that.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2014, 11:28 PM   #10
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8810

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
Quality and/or frequency must be bad then. Just by reach the network looks quite extensive for a city of this size...

Not so long ago I was under impression that Australian cities outside Sydney and Melbourne are a bit like 2nd tier US cities with no public transport other than buses for poor people. I see now that it's not quite like that.
Both quality and frequency were bad when I used it last that's for sure. The network size is not that extensive when you consider how large an area the citytrain network covers - it covers most of SEQ which has a population of 3 million people. Out of the Australian cities I've been in, Brisbane had the worst public transport of the lot, which is a shame as it's a really nice city overall.

Perth has a very good rail network that is expanding, see the Perth public transport thread here.

Read the impressions of the UrbanRail website owner when he toured Australiasia.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2015, 10:09 PM   #11
twentyfivetacos
BANNED

Likes (Received): 140

Strange that people are complaining about the frequency of the rail network in Brisbane when a majority of bus routes in Brisbane only run once an hour and most usually stop running at 6-7pm (and in some suburbs as early as 4pm). Last time I checked Brisbane's bus usage per capita was around the same as Perth's (Perth has possibly overtaken Brisbane by now) and was way lower than Sydney's. The problem is that when you are using buses as trains then you'll have no buses left over for what they are supposed to to be used for (short trips, feeding into rail, serving low density areas) not to mention the insane amount of money such a system costs especially in a country like Australia where bus drivers are probably earning close to 6 figures.

The good news is that the conservatives have been voted out and their insane 5 billion dollar bus tunnel won't be built however Labor were the idiots that spent nearly a billion dollars on a 1km long busway extension.
twentyfivetacos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2015, 10:12 PM   #12
twentyfivetacos
BANNED

Likes (Received): 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnel owl View Post
Brisbane has spent more money on it's Busway network than a lot of cities spend on heavy rail. Certainly not an impressive system considering it reached capacity around 5 years after it was built.
twentyfivetacos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2015, 03:21 PM   #13
mw123

Springfield Central Station by stephenk1977, on Flickr

Springfield Central Station by stephenk1977, on Flickr

Concourse by PJ Reading, on Flickr

Almost ready for use by PJ Reading, on Flickr

Arrival at last! by PJ Reading, on Flickr

tunnel owl, dimlys1994, Nexis, givary98 liked this post
Old March 6th, 2015, 09:10 PM   #14
tunnel owl

Likes (Received): 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentyfivetacos View Post
Certainly not an impressive system considering it reached capacity around 5 years after it was built.
Some cities with rail-transit never reached the capacity planned: Charleroi, Buffalo, Pittsburgh to name a few...
tunnel owl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2015, 09:40 PM   #15
Robi_damian

Likes (Received): 9993

Why all the negativity? I visited Brisbane last year and was based some 20 minutes from Fortitude Valley. I found the rail system quite ok, and bus connections from various stations even better. I thought it was not in any way worse than many European systems I have used.
While in Brisbane (and Gold Coast) I used boat, train and bus to get around and found public transport very good. I am quite sure cities in the U.S. with a similar size would be very fortunate to have the transport Brisbane finds.
Robi_damian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2015, 02:03 AM   #16
SurfRail
Yemeni Ambassador

Likes (Received): 1734

It's wretched compared to what it could be for little to no extra outlay.

Victor P. Taffa
SurfRail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2015, 04:02 AM   #17
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 848

Trivia: There have been two proposals for an underground rail line under Downtown Brisbane since 2008, both of which have been scrapped and will not be realized. Why does such a tunnel need to be developed? Some Inner City Rail Capacity Study from 2008 predicted that the demand for Brisbane peak train services would double by 2016.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2015, 06:52 PM   #18
dimlys1994

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/t...-brisbane.html

Cross Track TV in Brisbane
20 Apr 2015

AUSTRALIA: XTD says its Cross Track TV is the ‘first designed for rail, cross-track digital video system’. It uses billboard-size LED screens and high-definition sound to broadcast information and advertising to passengers waiting at stations.

Following installations in Sydney and Melbourne, Cross Track TV is being installed in at four stations in Brisbane in partnership with advertising company APN Outdoor

lechevallierpatrick liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2015, 04:39 AM   #19
linum

Likes (Received): 664

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robi_damian View Post
Why all the negativity? I visited Brisbane last year and was based some 20 minutes from Fortitude Valley. I found the rail system quite ok, and bus connections from various stations even better. I thought it was not in any way worse than many European systems I have used.
While in Brisbane (and Gold Coast) I used boat, train and bus to get around and found public transport very good. I am quite sure cities in the U.S. with a similar size would be very fortunate to have the transport Brisbane finds.
Yes but the US equivalent (2.5-3m population) wouldn't be the third largest urban centre either, so that's why Brisbane has a pretty decent transit system.... I cannot speak for frequency as I have not caught a train Brisbane in over 10 years, maybe longer......
linum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2015, 09:01 PM   #20
mw123

Brisbane Rain - Deluge by stephenk1977, on Flickr

Brisbane train interior by Daniel Bowen, on Flickr

Electric Tilt Train by 10greenbottles, on Flickr

dimlys1994 liked this post