daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 22nd, 2014, 12:27 AM   #1
Halawala
Fairouzy

Likes (Received): 265

Trip Report: Qatar Airways A380

Welcome to my TRIP REPORT!

** I have embedded my Youtube videos here; but if they do not work, please click on the link provided**

Video Summary:

Economy Class:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1WuRN9OtdM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BVjvq6EI_I

Business Class:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zof9iZsK3Tg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrGYmiDI_k0

First Class:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOnuwCa_0sU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvQvgrq_9iY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edb4yj3427o (electronic windows)

Unveiling Ceremony:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCF8b7XbEM8

This is not just a standard Trip Report; for one thing I did not fly anywhere; however, I think this is a very important one. For one thing, the world’s best airline Qatar Airways has just received the new Queen of the Skies, with a ceremony fit for a king!

Going to the airport, there are signs near the bridges over the lagoons leading to the terminal. The first floor parking had signs that say “Our A380, this way.” I was overjoyed to see this sign. I parked my car and entered the terminal towards the First and Business Class area.

There, I saw a lot for reporters, aviation geeks, and Qatar Airways employees congregating and talking about the arrival of the A380. Once we registered, given our name tags, we proceeded to a bus outside the terminal. There, the bus carrying media crew, brought us over to the aircraft maintenance hanger.

The 15 minute bus ride reminded me of the old DOH, where some planes parked really far from the now not-in-use terminal.

Once we arrived, there was a lovely hallway passageway with pictures along the sides leading to an entrance—a party-like standing congregation hall. Behind that was the press conference and a huge TV screen with LIVE pictures of Qatar’s A380 as it arrives from Hamburg—making a flying display at Doha’s Cornish, the promenade facing Doha’s glittering skyscrapers.

Everyone was in festive mood! EVERYONE! Everyone was watching with smiles in their faces. The whole airport was BUILT for the purpose of serving the A380; its runways were designed to accommodate the A380. The terminal building was built with the A380 in mind. How could we not be happy!

I left the side door of the hanger and proceeded outside the hot and humid weather in order to greet the huge superjumbo. As the maintenance hanger is perpendicular to the runways, we did not see it land. Only those inside the hanger saw it in the screens. As I was outside, I did not see it. As we were there socializing, we saw two cars turn left from the West Runway and then there she is! The current QUEEN OF THE SKIES.

Reporters scrammed to get their Canon’s and Leica’s snapping. Reporters were busy recording the coverage. I was busy with taking these pics below LOL. Once the A380 came near, we were awestruck by its size. Im not sure if Im alone in this, but the A380 is so big that it looks too big to be true—so it looks small. Yes, it doesn’t make sense. But, I think it looks like a fat A319; but beautiful nonetheless.

Once the plane stopped, two rows of beautiful QR ladies lined up to the sides of the Red Carpet. The plane door opened, and the big boss came out greeted everyone, and proceeded inside the hanger. We were told to go back inside and wait for the press conference.

The press conference was very exciting although most of the questions were stupid like “How much did you buy the planes for?” Two questions were really funny. A Bloomberg reporter asked Al-Baker if and when the IPO was planned to be launched. Al-Baker slammed the reporter “I do not know why you ask the same question every time? Do you think I do not recognize you this time? Or did you simply forget the answer? Stop repeating the same thing.” There was laughter all over the hanger. I do not even remember if he answered or not. Another question was from local Al-Jazeera English channel about the 787 program. Al-Baker slammed Al-Jazeera. “Just because there are a couple of employees on drugs, doesn’t mean the whole company is on drugs! It is normal in every major company to have disgruntled former employees to show the wrong image of the company. We would never put any passenger at risk in flying any of our planes. The 787 despite some technical problems like software, flaps, ect.. is 100% safe to fly” The quote is not exactly what he said, but the content is correct.

Once we were over the press conference, we went back to meeting area for some snacks. Later on, we were called back to the press conference for the official unveiling.

The Qatari National Anthem was played, and His Highness the Prime Minister and Interior Minister Sheikh Abdulla Bin Nasser Al-Thani arrived and sat in his chair, with Al-Baker and Al-Nuaimi on his sides. Barcelona’s Suarez and Puyol were there for the event. Luckily Suarez didn’t bite me! Lol

I shot the entire unveiling here:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WCF8b7XbEM8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCF8b7XbEM8

Next we proceeded to enter the plane, after His Highness has taken his Private Tour of the plane. I was greeted by the QR ladies who were smiling and wishing me that I enjoy the plane. I boarded the stairs, which seemed higher than normal stairs.

Once I entered the plane, I turned right towards the second chunk of economy seats. There were lots and lots of seats. The dark colors of grey and burgundy give this plane a different “feel” than other QR jets. The material used in the seats is new, I have never seen this before. It reminded me of a sports car seats—or a high end Hermes feel. If you are not fans of grey and burgundy you will not like it. But I cannot anyone not liking the real-life feel of the cabin. The cabin rest area is located underground downstairs as opposed to EK’s A380 which are in the back of the cabin.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4BVjvq6EI_I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BVjvq6EI_I

The IFE is at least two generations into the future. I have never seen this before in economy class. The TV’s are fairly large, and an individual Android remote control in each seat. The seat itself had ample seat pitch, definitely bigger than the Boeing 787. The seats were on par with QR’s 777’s seat, but even better. The seat is designed to go forward when reclining so not to disturb the seat behind you. I’m a fairly large person, but the seat is still comfortable to sit on and relax. The galley’s were decorated in burgundy colors and pictures of landscapes and cityscapes from around the world decorate the walls. The toilets were average sized—but beautifully decorated with wooden floors and nice decorations. I proceeded to the curved stairs at the back of the plane.

The stairs were covered in dark teak wood and burgundy colors. VERY ELEGANT! Like a five star boutique hotel Upstairs is a small economy section, which to my point of view is a whole world away from the economy seats downstairs. I think QR should have marketed this as Premium Economy. The section feels exclusive like a small private carrier. There are two rows with huge legroom—the first row, and the exit row. I think there were less than seven rows in total. The window seats contain storage space for your personal belongings! I would certainly not mind staying up there. Plus, the galley and staircase make the whole section feel “premium”.

After that section in the economy, you enter the Lounge. When I entered it was packed with people—who were annoyingly eating chips and sipping away with their drinks. I use the word annoyingly because there shouldn’t be anyone there for the unveiling. We need to see how the lounge looks without all those people!

The whole area is a deja-vu of the A340 lounge which I had the pleasure to use in my previous A340 flights. There is a long curving table in the middle, with leather sofas to the sides of the walls. Two light pieces are centered over the table and a wine cabinet in the wall behind the table. The whole are looks inviting—but I can imagine it will be very noisy for people who know each other.

After the lounge, is one large chunk of business class. It is near identical of Qatar’s 787 seats, which is a good thing. The difference is the color of the center seats. The other difference is the TV screens, which I think the A380 has slightly larger screens and buttons on the actual screens. The bezel around the screens are smaller in the A380. I kind of wished the Lounge would be between Business and First or in the middle of the Business Class section. But, as it can get noisy perhaps it’s a good idea to have it at the very back.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/jrGYmiDI_k0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrGYmiDI_k0

The seats are comfortable, wide, and very personal. I would have preferred two mini-business class sections instead of one, but one will do fine. The seats have many advantages:
1. Easy to get on and off
2. Wide shoulder area to sleep on
3. Aisle/window access
4. Big TV screens
5. Ample storage space options
6. Personal table in each seat
7. A personal storage cubicle at the front of the business class seats

After the visit of the Business Class cabin there was a big galley area, with burgundy walls, and some paintings. There were also Business Class toilets—which I thought would have been nicer if they were bigger. They nearly the same size as the economy ones. The ones on the 777s are bigger, and the one at the AA 77W are HUGE.

After the galley near the front of the upper deck is the First Class. It is beautiful MUCH MUCH better in real life than in the pictures. The pictures DO NOT DO THIS JUSTICE. First of all, the whole ambiance gives you the idea of a personal private jet or an exclusive hotel. The seats are private, yes they are not suites, but there are divides beautifully decorated with a line of gold in the middle. SIMPLE, ELEGANT, and what Al-Baker calls CLASS! The seats are HUGE and the Beige leather reminds me of Bulgari or Bucheron. The window shades are electronically controlled just like the lounge. There is a personal closet in every seat, which contains the amenity kits, and the earphones.

Video of Electronic Window Shades Opening:

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/edb4yj3427o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edb4yj3427o

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ZvQvgrq_9iY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvQvgrq_9iY

After the cabin there are two open minibars to the sides of the plane, between the forward staircase. You can get snacks and drinks over there—a mini-lounge without the chairs. I would only dream of traveling in this cabin!

The staircase leads to the front of the economy section, and the pilot’s cabin. There are more economy seats to the sides of the stairs. After the visit of he upper deck, we proceeded once again to the lower deck-where we sadly left the aircraft with a huge smile on our faces.

Overall thoughts:

I loved the plane; the sheer size of the A380 cannot be underestimated and the large number of economy seats will make me hope QR does the right thing and fills them successfully. I would have preferred the complete upper deck contain only Premium Classes, but it’s a nice touch for economy class passenger who cant afford the luxury of extra privacy to get a little extra for free. I love Burgundy—the national color of my flag—its elegant, royal, regal, and classy! All classes were carefully adorned with that color, and adorned with wooden teak flooring, and almost perfect finishing. AAB hinted at ordering more A380’s. Who knows, maybe we will see it in the next major airshow.

Summary:

Economy Seats:

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/i1WuRN9OtdM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1WuRN9OtdM

Business Class:

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Zof9iZsK3Tg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zof9iZsK3Tg

First Class:

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wOnuwCa_0sU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOnuwCa_0sU

Look how tiny I look compared to the A380! LOL!

Sponsored Links
Old September 22nd, 2014, 02:28 AM   #2
yyzer

Likes (Received): 45

Great review, and a beautiful plane!
Old September 22nd, 2014, 03:29 AM   #3
love-qatar

Likes (Received): 562

Thanks Mohammed

BTW nice selfie :P
Old September 22nd, 2014, 06:32 AM   #4
Halawala
Fairouzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzer View Post
Great review, and a beautiful plane!
Thank you, beautiful indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by love-qatar View Post
Thanks Mohammed

BTW nice selfie :P
haha thank you!

racso380 liked this post
Halawala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2014, 10:29 AM   #5
klm.b777

Likes (Received): 32

It is a wonderfull airplane, but I saw the video of the ceremony, and it was kind of boring.. I thought they would spent a bit more money to have a spectacular ceremony..

- KLM Royal Dutch Airlines
- Etihad Airways
- A380's

Halawala liked this post
klm.b777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2014, 12:09 PM   #6
melrocks50
See you on a dark night

Likes (Received): 1503

Thanks for the review! The economy class looks a lot cooler than Emirate's new economy class on the A380.

Halawala liked this post
melrocks50 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2014, 12:21 PM   #7
Halawala
Fairouzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by klm.b777 View Post
It is a wonderfull airplane, but I saw the video of the ceremony, and it was kind of boring.. I thought they would spent a bit more money to have a spectacular ceremony..
I am not a fan of these gymnastic-style ceremonies. All I was thinking in my head was lets get into the darn plane already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by melrocks50 View Post
Thanks for the review! The economy class looks a lot cooler than Emirate's new economy class on the A380.
Thank you! There are fewer economy class seats on the main deck of this aircraft than EK. Both have same number of total seats, but EK has 24 more J seats than QR! Imagine the spaciousness that QR has placed in the seats!
Old September 23rd, 2014, 06:16 AM   #8
Buffalomatt1027

Likes (Received): 373

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halawala View Post
I am not a fan of these gymnastic-style ceremonies. All I was thinking in my head was lets get into the darn plane already!

Thank you! There are fewer economy class seats on the main deck of this aircraft than EK. Both have same number of total seats, but EK has 24 more J seats than QR! Imagine the spaciousness that QR has placed in the seats!
GREAT REPORT! and nice pictures!
Buffalomatt1027 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2014, 07:12 AM   #9
ScuderiaVincero
Resident racing fanatic

Likes (Received): 904

She's beautiful, both on the inside and on the outside. I'm loving the gorgeous decor in the lounge, and the oh-so-tempting premium classes. Did they mention anything interesting about the Upper Deck Economy section? I read somewhere that it was reserved for Privilege Club members only, is that true?
georgiaame
Will Etihad do a bacon sandwich for that price? I didn't think so.

tullamarine I don't think Etihad (or Emirates for that matter) will do a bacon sandwich at any price!!! Qantas customers on Sydney/Melbourne-London lost bacon from the breakfast menu following the Emirates alliance.

BaconButty I finally understand the true horrors of globalization.
ScuderiaVincero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2014, 10:43 AM   #10
Halawala
Fairouzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalomatt1027 View Post
GREAT REPORT! and nice pictures!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScuderiaVincero View Post
She's beautiful, both on the inside and on the outside. I'm loving the gorgeous decor in the lounge, and the oh-so-tempting premium classes. Did they mention anything interesting about the Upper Deck Economy section? I read somewhere that it was reserved for Privilege Club members only, is that true?
Albaker said privelege club members will get priority, but I am not sure how it will work out in the end.
Old September 23rd, 2014, 11:23 AM   #11
ScuderiaVincero
Resident racing fanatic

Likes (Received): 904

Well, I'm glad I joined the Club back in June Really hope the opportunity comes to fly this A380.

P.S. Halawala, I noticed you posted the same thing on Airliners.net. Thanks for the video links there
georgiaame
Will Etihad do a bacon sandwich for that price? I didn't think so.

tullamarine I don't think Etihad (or Emirates for that matter) will do a bacon sandwich at any price!!! Qantas customers on Sydney/Melbourne-London lost bacon from the breakfast menu following the Emirates alliance.

BaconButty I finally understand the true horrors of globalization.

Last edited by ScuderiaVincero; September 23rd, 2014 at 01:16 PM.
ScuderiaVincero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2014, 12:32 PM   #12
Stravinsky

Likes (Received): 1147

I love Gulf carriers!

I've flied Qatar Airways only once and can't wait to do it again.

Extremely warm yet precise service. Quality in every bit of the trip.

Oh, and the A380 will be an awesome plane in their hands.
Stravinsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2014, 05:26 PM   #13
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18212

Nice cabin colours and tour.

I still think the queen of the skies is the Antonov though.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2014, 08:17 AM   #14
Halawala
Fairouzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScuderiaVincero View Post
Well, I'm glad I joined the Club back in June Really hope the opportunity comes to fly this A380.

P.S. Halawala, I noticed you posted the same thing on Airliners.net. Thanks for the video links there
Thank you for reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stravinsky View Post
I love Gulf carriers!

I've flied Qatar Airways only once and can't wait to do it again.

Extremely warm yet precise service. Quality in every bit of the trip.

Oh, and the A380 will be an awesome plane in their hands.
Thanks very much!
Old September 24th, 2014, 11:49 AM   #15
AB24

Likes (Received): 6

Great! In the 19th pic the "welcome on board" on the screen is written by italian!
AB24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2014, 10:52 AM   #16
saintm
Beautiful User

Likes (Received): 1996

Fantastic report. Cheers!
Old September 27th, 2014, 03:06 PM   #17
Halawala
Fairouzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB24 View Post
Great! In the 19th pic the "welcome on board" on the screen is written by italian!
Thanks! Yup you get multiple languages to choose from!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintm View Post
Fantastic report. Cheers!
Thank you.
Old November 19th, 2014, 01:44 PM   #18
love-qatar

Likes (Received): 562

The 1st Qatar Airways A380 landed yesterday in Paris CDG, operating Paris-Doha on a daily basis

So Qatar Airways A380 fly to LHR and CDG on a daily basis and starting from January 2015 it will fly to Suvarnabhumi Airport in Bangkok

patel2897, firoz bharmal liked this post
love-qatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote