daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 27th, 2014, 07:04 AM   #1
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4605

NEW YORK | 20 East End Avenue | 17 fl | Pro

Having a hard time posting the pic (iOS 8 oblige).

Scaled-Down Luxury on East End Avenue

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/28/re...nd-avenue.html
Quote:
The philosophy behind 20 East End Avenue, a classically featured gray-brick apartment building taking up residence near such distinguished edifices as Vincent Astor’s 120 East End Avenue, is that you don’t have to own a 20-room apartment to live as though you do.

Designed by Robert A. M. Stern Architects, which also designed the neo-Classical 15 Central Park West, 20 East End Avenue will squeeze 43 apartments, including two penthouses, two duplex townhouses and a maisonette, into a 17-story building on the corner of East End Avenue and 80th Street, scheduled for completion the summer of 2016. While the apartments will be graciously sized by today’s yardstick, with the standard unit 2,800 to 3,000 square feet, they will not be the mammoth 20-room apartments of the Gilded Age, said Edward Baquero, the president of the Corigin Real Estate Group, the developer. The Corcoran Sunshine Marketing Group plans to begin marketing the apartments this fall.

“We wanted to be authentic to the idea of a prewar-inspired apartment house,” Mr. Baquero said, “but very few people in the world can afford those 20-room apartments, which probably have their own sauna, their own wine cellar, that sort of thing. So we made our units smaller, more affordable, more reasonable, but the building has amenity spaces that are really designed to be an extension of your home.”

The apartments, which will range from two to six bedrooms and have 11- to 12-foot ceilings, will have price tags starting at about $4.5 million, ranging up to more than $20 million for the penthouses, which will be about 5,900 to 6,300 square feet. The top penthouse will have a terrace of more than 4,000 square feet overlooking the Upper East Side and the East River.

Some of the amenities will be on the second floor overlooking East End Avenue, including a capacious wood-paneled library with a book collection on the history of New York curated by Mr. Stern, along with a separate billiards room, private poker room and bar, Mr. Baquero said.
Other amenities will be below the lobby and include a wine cellar adjacent to a wine-tasting room with a kitchen that could also be used for dinner parties; a 3,000-square-foot gym with shower rooms and a spa; and space for storage and laundry rooms. The interiors of the building, along with the amenities and their furnishings, were all designed by Robert A. M. Stern Architects.

Small touches have been added to encourage residents to use the amenities as an extension of their home. For instance, each family will receive a locker on the second floor for storing bottles of wine or cordials, Mr. Baquero said.

Another unusual touch at 20 East End Avenue will be a motor court, entered from 80th Street through an arch under the building; this will enable residents, who will be greeted by staff, to unload their cars off the street. Only a handful of buildings in the city have them, including the Apthorp and 15 Central Park West on the Upper West Side.

Twenty East End Avenue also will have a conventional entrance off the avenue leading into an octagonal lobby with a 12-foot Venetian plaster ceiling and a patterned floor in white marble and limestone. A grand blackened-steel staircase will have a three-story bronze hanging light fixture in the center.

Residences, many with private entrances off the elevators, will have white oak hardwood floors stained dark walnut and interior doors. Some homes will have private gardens, gas fireplaces, or some of the last wood-burning fireplaces approved by the city, Mr. Baquero said. (The building of fireplaces was banned by the city as of July 1.) Kitchens will have marble countertops and Gaggenau appliances, and each marble master bathroom will have a separate water closet and polished nickel fittings.

The classic design of 20 East End Avenue, with dozens of setback terraces with limestone balusters, bay windows, stone arches and Juliet balconies, harkens back to an era before World War II. It will join a handful of similar buildings constructed recently, many on the Upper East Side, that evoke the prewar era and may have the success of 15 Central Park West to thank.

Mr. Stern chuckled at the suggestion, and said that 20 East End Avenue “belongs to a continuous language of architecture, and a particular New York version of the language, of New York apartment-house architecture.”

Vertical_Gotham liked this post
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 27th, 2014, 12:07 PM   #2
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2622

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostface79
Having a hard time posting the pic

My apologies if this is a bit large for some screens, it's just right at my screen resolution.

Looks awesome, by the way! In some cases you can fall on your face with retro architecture, but this one has a lot of class. Love Stern.
Old September 27th, 2014, 03:00 PM   #3
hateman

Likes (Received): 1798

This may be one of Robert Stern's best design in terms of honoring Rosario Candela and the great pre-war apartments of Manhattan. A lot of the elements are immediately recognizable and very "New York."

We are seeking to follow the type of architecture which is good in the sense that it does not of necessity follow the whims of the moment but seeks an artistry that ought to be good, as far as we can tell, for all time to come. -FDR

We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us. -Winston Churchill
hateman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2014, 08:30 AM   #4
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Likes (Received): 25149

Great Project!
streetscapeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2014, 09:37 AM   #5
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Looks like he was trying very hard to make it look like the other buildings...

Hope the cladding is good quality.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2014, 11:37 PM   #6
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

OMG! I just discovered this! I can't believe this has happened without me knowing. Has work started on this?? Anyway, it's amazing and I hope for more development like this especially for the UES.

Luv Luv and Love!!

NEW YORK | 64m | 210 ft | 17 fl | Robert A.M. Stern

DOB App:
http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...95&requestid=4

20eastend.com
http://20eastend.com/

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; September 30th, 2014 at 12:12 AM.
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2014, 11:39 PM   #7
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28195

I love it. This fits better than a glass tower.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2014, 12:13 AM   #8
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2622

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Hope the cladding is good quality.
According to the article, it's actual brick, not cladding.
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2014, 04:32 PM   #9
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

http://www.6sqft.com/real-estate-wir...ject-approved/
Old October 1st, 2014, 05:31 AM   #10
Ghostface79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
OMG! I just discovered this! I can't believe this has happened without me knowing. Has work started on this?
It's a few blocks from me, last time I walked by, demo of the previous building was pretty much completed. My guess is by now it's being excavated, I'll take a walk down that way this week end and find out.

Vertical_Gotham liked this post
Old October 2nd, 2014, 10:07 PM   #11
Judazzz
Derp?

Likes (Received): 2292

What a stunner, simply magnificent!
Judazzz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2014, 03:30 PM   #12
hateman

New rendering of the lobby:

It seems like Stern's getting more detailed and opulent. The ring of lights is a bit corny though.
We are seeking to follow the type of architecture which is good in the sense that it does not of necessity follow the whims of the moment but seeks an artistry that ought to be good, as far as we can tell, for all time to come. -FDR

streetscapeer, JMGA196 liked this post
Old December 27th, 2014, 05:44 AM   #13
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

Yeah, the interior is fine but nothing compared to the brilliance of the exterior. Of course, I'd much rather it like this than the other way around.

Zaz965 liked this post
bodegavendetta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2015, 05:45 PM   #14
hateman

New Renderings:
http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2015/0...art_at_45m.php
Floor plans at link.

erbse, Ultra84 liked this post
Old January 16th, 2015, 06:27 PM   #15
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Stern nailed the retro look this time.

dexter2 liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2015, 10:24 PM   #16
hateman

Model from the apartment sales office:

More photos and model apartment here:
http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2015/0...st_end_ave.php

Old February 17th, 2015, 10:50 PM   #17
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

nice project! 2 thumbs up.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2015, 04:51 PM   #18
Ghostface79

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2015/0...ising.php#more

Old May 17th, 2015, 05:19 PM   #19
hateman

That makes three new Stern buildings near, at or above ground level being built right now, not counting 30 Park Place, which is topped out. A good time for classic New York architecture.

Old May 17th, 2015, 07:45 PM   #20
mrsmartman

Likes (Received): 1442

This is more traditional luxurious condo in NYC.
mrsmartman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
20 east end ave., nyc