daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 1st, 2005, 03:33 PM   #1
Monadnock

Likes (Received): 0

600 North Fairbanks - 458'/41 fl (Com)

Height: 458 ft
Floor count: 41
Construction end: 2007
Architect: Murphy/Jahn, Inc. Architects
Developer: Schatz Development LLC

Website

From today's Sun-Times:

Helmut Jahn, once a firebrand of Chicago architecture who recently has landed most of his work overseas, is coming home to try his hand at that most common of genres, the downtown condominium tower.

Jahn has provided the design for a planned 197-unit building at 600 N. Fairbanks. Developer Geoffrey Ruttenberg hopes to begin marketing the project in late spring.

The celebrated designer of the James R. Thompson Center and the United Airlines terminal at O'Hare Airport, Jahn has brought his taste for glass walls and experimentation into a category where developers usually stick with what has sold. The result has been a repeat of buildings with beige concrete or design touches meant to evoke the Art Deco past.

The limited stylistic range prompted Mayor Daley in 2003 to admonish architects that they'll have to do better if they want City Hall to approve their projects.

Ruttenberg said he selected Jahn for the distinctive personality he would bring to the building. "We're trying not to view this as one of 25 condo buildings selling at the same time,'' he said.

Jahn, chief executive of Murphy/Jahn Inc., said the building could be his first work in the downtown area since his 120 N. La Salle office building was completed in 1991. "I have the confidence that we can do a little better'' than many of the condo towers that have joined Chicago's skyline, he said.

"Visitors who come to Chicago to see the architecture, they often say that something is lacking,'' Jahn said. He said that Europe, meanwhile, has encouraged innovation in technology and materials.

"In Europe, the expectations for living accommodations are higher'' in such areas as "fresh air, light and visual privacy,'' Jahn said.

The Streeterville location is two blocks east of Michigan Avenue and within a neighborhood of acute developer interest. Two large-scale new developments are within a couple blocks of the Jahn site and some local groups have called for a halt to high-rise construction until city officials can develop detailed plans to handle traffic.

Neighbors appear to have little leverage over the Jahn building. Ruttenberg said its size is allowed under current zoning rules. He emphasized the design is preliminary and could be modified after talks with civic groups and the city.

Ruttenberg said he will market the site to buyers who want open, loft-like floor plans combined with an abundance of glass and exposed steel and concrete.

"We're trying for a niche that's been neglected in Streeterville,'' said Ruttenberg, a third-generation developer whose father, David "Buzz" Ruttenberg, is responsible for a new tower at 530 N. Lake Shore Drive and a two-building complex planned for 600 N. Lake Shore Drive.

Geoffrey Ruttenberg is a principal of the firm Brixton Group Ltd., but he said a separate investment group he's still assembling will bankroll the Fairbanks building. He said he expects most unit prices to range from about $320,000 to $560,000.

The building will have 27 stories, but its height will be closer to most 33-story buildings, he said. That's because the floors will have 10-foot ceilings, in contrast to the eight-foot ceilings common in high-rises.

The building includes curved glass overlooking the northwest corner of Fairbanks and Ohio. Jahn also provided a transparent lobby showing ramps that lead to the garage. In an unusual approach, the garage will be built over an existing three-story building at Fairbanks and Ontario. It's the long-ago home of the Chez Paree nightclub and now has offices, the bar Timothy O'Toole's and at least four restaurants.

Jahn said the garage arrangement allows for "speed ramps'' that will get residents into and out of the building quickly. The tall lobby also means the lowest living unit will be some 70 feet above the street's commotion, Jahn said.

Jahn has no prior work in downtown's booming condo market.

"I hope it's the beginning of more work like this,'' he said.

"In a market that's become more saturated, it's necessary to come up with a product that's not more expensive, but better.'' Housing expert Gail Lissner said Jahn should find a ready audience of buyers. Lissner, vice president of Appraisal Research Counselors Ltd., said buyers have shown a preference toward modern designs in most of the latest projects being marketed.

Last edited by i_am_hydrogen; October 8th, 2007 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Added project info.
Monadnock no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 1st, 2005, 06:14 PM   #2
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

This is very exciting... I really like most of Jahn's work! Two notes though:

1) they really should stop attaching his name to the Thompson Center - it's one of the five worst buildings in Chicago (save for the interior)

2) I am so sick of the NIMBY groups (especially in S'ville) bitching about every single project that comes up. Especially when that bitching relates to traffic. Have these people not figured out yet that we have next to NO traffic in downtown Chicago? If it were the residents of Clark and Wrightwood complaining about traffic I'd give it a second thought... but Streeterville?
geoff_diamond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2005, 06:18 PM   #3
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2462

I was just wondering what happened to this guy the other day. Well now, here's the answer.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2005, 07:43 PM   #4
Tom in Chicago

Likes (Received): 4

Helmut Jahn has been pretty busy lately. . . even here in Chicagoland. . .

Alter Seeks Green in Multi-Hued Corridors IV

By Mark Ruda

Last updated: January 31, 2005 11:17am

DOWNERS GROVE, IL-The suburban office market may be getting its first LEED-certified “green building,” a striking 470,000-sf complex that will become Corridors IV. Renowned architect Helmut Jahn is designing the two-building Corridors IV on 10.9 acres on Finley Road, overlooking the 1,700-acre Morton Arboretum as well as I-88 and I-355.
Although the developer, Alter Group, declines to put a number on the cost, a reasonable estimate would begin at $100 million. Achieving Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design status, superior infrastructure and other design elements will increase the cost compared to other class-A buildings, Alter Group senior vice president Matthew A. Ward says the incremental costs are “less than you think.” They also are likely to be recouped by tenants who see greater worker productivity in an environmentally friendly building with flexible floor plates and energy efficiency. “The costs might be 5% to 10% more, but the returns on the investment are 10-fold in terms of worker productivity, quality of life and economic sustainability,” Ward tells GlobeSt.com.

Ward’s task now is finding at least one tenant willing to take at least 50,000 sf to anchor the building, but he has identified “two or three genuine prospect.” Although the East-West Corridor remains soft, as total vacancy in the largest suburban submarket starts the year at 25.4%, according to US Equities Realty, Inc., the highest in the entire market. However, the 93% of the 517,500 sf in Corridors I, II and III is leased, with 148,000 sf in deals signed last year, according to president Michael J. Alter.

“We feel pretty confident,” Ward adds. “Not only are the buildings’ locations attractive, but their infrastructures are superior.”

Corridors IV, though, promises to be the most aesthetically attractive. Jahn says his design calls for the building’s façade to be lit in green, blue and yellow at night.

“We want to advance the suburban office building,” says Jahn, whose firm, Murphy Jahn Associates, won AIA Firm of the Year honors in 2005. His local portfolio includes the James R. Thompson Center, 120 N. LaSalle St. and Terminal One at O’Hare International Airport. “Corridors IV will create a true integration between human, natural and financial capital.”

Ward tells GlobeSt.com his company could seek a permit this summer, with completion coming as early as late summer 2006. Alter Group has not decided whether to sell off Corridors IV or keep it in its portfolio has it has Corridors I and II, Ward adds. Atlanta-based Wells REIT bought Corridors III for $40.5 million in the fourth quarter, or $182 per sf.
Old February 1st, 2005, 09:00 PM   #5
ChicagoLover

"Visitors who come to Chicago to see the architecture, they often say that something is lacking,'' Jahn said. He said that Europe, meanwhile, has encouraged innovation in technology and materials.

One word: Loewenberg.
ChicagoLover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2005, 09:03 PM   #6
ChicagoLover

I canvassed the internet for renderings, but came up empty. The website of the developer, Brixton Group, did not even mention this proposed project. Its interesting that a developer known only for much smaller projects in the Northside can enter the downtown condo high-rise market with such a splash... while the big guys just plod along peddling garbage.
Old February 1st, 2005, 09:04 PM   #7
ChicagoLover

What a breath of fresh air. Things are looking up in Chicago now with One Museum Park, which is awesome DESPITE its architect, and now this promising development. I canvassed the internet for renderings, but came up empty. The website of the developer, Brixton Group, did not even mention this proposed project. Its interesting that a developer known only for much smaller projects in the Northside can enter the downtown condo high-rise market with such a splash... while the big guys just plod along peddling garbage.
Old February 1st, 2005, 09:06 PM   #8
ChicagoLover

I hasten to add that I say "DESPITE" its architect, because, according to the Tribune article on January 9th ? or so, the architects had to keep going back to the drawing boards to come up with something that would win city approval. For once, a planning process / neighborhood pressures that actually improve the architect's work. For all of Daley's mishaps, we will probably have him and his planning department to thank when the majestic One Museum Park gets built.
Old February 1st, 2005, 10:26 PM   #9
24gotham
Formerly InTheLoop

Found this image scanned from the Sun Times on one of my regular blogs I visit. Daily Dose of Architecture

All I can say is WOW! I like it. Jahn has been doing some brilliant work in the last few years, and IMHO, this is no different. I absolutely love the visable garage ramp through the lobby area. I also am in love with the idea of building the glass garage above existing buildings.

Formerly "InTheLoop" of Chicago.
24gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2005, 02:05 AM   #10
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

^WOW, coolio

I also like how he chooses to preserve that historic building below it
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2005, 04:49 AM   #11
northsidesoxfan

Columbus, from the river to Northwestern might just wind up being one of Chicago's great streets. On the south end you have Wacker's hotels and LSE's residential population. On the north end you have Northwestern and old Streeterville. In between there are all sorts of hotels, condos, retail spaces and offices.

As for Jahn's design, I see similarities to his Project J-1 and Project J-2 designs that never got built over at 660 North Wabash. Well frickin' done.

I'm buying the first round at Timothy O'Tooles once that garage gets built on top. The coolest garage in the city. The circular drive-up evokes Bertrand Goldberg (Marina City), but to Jahn's credit it's always a short ride up in this building.
northsidesoxfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2005, 08:05 AM   #12
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Okay... that garage ramp is just plain sick... I love it!

I also forgot how much I loved the designs for 660... what a shame
Old February 3rd, 2005, 11:31 PM   #13
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 887

this small color rendering of Helmut Jahn's condo tower was in the Sun-Times on tyesdat, hopefully we'll get a better one in the future.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2005, 11:41 PM   #14
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

^Thanks, BV
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2005, 04:33 AM   #15
oshkeoto

Alright, it's a nice building. But didn't Jahn steal the ramp idea from the 111 Wacker Building?

And frankly, from Jahn, I would expect something slightly more interesting above the lobby...
oshkeoto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2005, 06:10 AM   #16
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshkeoto
Alright, it's a nice building. But didn't Jahn steal the ramp idea from the 111 Wacker Building?

And frankly, from Jahn, I would expect something slightly more interesting above the lobby...
I don't think that he really stole the ramp idea, more as he's taken it to the next level. The parking garage situated above an existing structure. And in this building, you will be able to see the cars going up the rame. I almost see this as a glass enclosed Marina City parking ramp.
Old February 4th, 2005, 05:37 PM   #17
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

It sort of reminds me of a combination between 111 S. Wacker and the Contemporaine (since you can see the cars in the Contemp's garage). Either way, I would hardly call it plagiarism.

I've got my reservations about the rest of the building, but, if it turns out to be as transparent as it looks in the renderings, I think it'll be fantastic.
Old June 19th, 2005, 10:39 PM   #18
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

600 North Fairbanks

Old Rendering

New Rendering

It looks as if they're removed the parking structure from atop the loft building to the north and incorporated it into the tower, which is why it seems taller.
www.600northfairbanks.com

Last edited by BVictor1; June 20th, 2005 at 05:48 AM.
Old June 19th, 2005, 11:24 PM   #19
ChicagoLover

Now I'm confused... is Jahn designing one, two or three proposed towers? Is he designing one for the South Loop, or no? And is he designing an SRO, or no? Some authoritative person please inform me! I want to pop my bubble now rather than later if this is the only one.
Old June 20th, 2005, 01:05 AM   #20
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoLover
Now I'm confused... is Jahn designing one, two or three proposed towers? Is he designing one for the South Loop, or no? And is he designing an SRO, or no? Some authoritative person please inform me! I want to pop my bubble now rather than later if this is the only one.

He's doing all 3.