daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 26th, 2007, 10:37 PM   #181
Helmet Yawn

Likes (Received): 0

..........as long as the checks clear, eh....????
Helmet Yawn no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 28th, 2007, 03:17 AM   #182
DeaconBlue

Avenue East

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetervillerealtor View Post
This is just what I hear in the office. Most suburban buyers to prefer 600 N LSD and Avenue East. The amount of windows concern them for a variety of reasons. I like the look of 600 N Fairbanks but I certainly don't care where my clients buy!
Your clients prefer Avenue East to 600 N Fairbanks? Really? I personally think Avenue East is a stinker. As for Helmet's building, I agree that the living room should have been in the corner. I bought a two bedroom and wish the living room was in the corner, not the bedroom, but oh-well. The SW two bedrooms have the living room in the corner and have an incredible view, but I think a lot of it will end up being blocked by Cityfront plaza and the one planned for next door.
D
DeaconBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2007, 03:19 AM   #183
DeaconBlue

Furniture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmet Yawn View Post
I'm glad you said that, C-man.......

Of course I'm more worried about the appearance of the backs of different furniture pieces that- last time I checked- condo associations had no control over.

It does seem that in order to preserve the clarity of this residential building, noone should ever live in it. Does that bother anyone else but me?
I'm not really that worried about furniture in the window. Do you really think that people will back up furniture to the glass? If you look at the floorplans, that really doesn't make much sense. I think it will be fine.
D
Old July 28th, 2007, 10:23 PM   #184
pflo777
BANNED

Likes (Received): 89

would it be possible to have some new pics?

maybe even from the inside?
pflo777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 02:17 AM   #185
fairbanks

Updated Pictures

Hello,

Here are some new shots that I took. Enjoy.

fairbanks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 09:19 AM   #186
UrbanSophist

Likes (Received): 44

If only all our new buildings had this glass.
UrbanSophist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2007, 04:22 AM   #187
fairbanks

Garage Mesh

Below you will find some pics of the glass and garage.

Last edited by fairbanks; August 7th, 2007 at 04:28 AM. Reason: redundant pictures
Old August 7th, 2007, 04:24 AM   #188
fairbanks

Garagae Mesh

Here are some shots of the glass detailing and the garage mesh. The lobby looks to be coming along as well.
Enjoy.

Old August 7th, 2007, 10:53 PM   #189
CHIsentinel
padisha emperor

Likes (Received): 319

So that is an actual screen and not a frit pattern on the glass correct? (I can't see the last picture very well, but it appears as though the pattern comes down over that panel, from the angle the picture was taken so I guess it is a real screen). Excellent pictures btw fairbanks.
CHIsentinel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2007, 11:15 PM   #190
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Likes (Received): 5

yep, it's a real screen of some type. Should look especially interesting at night.
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 01:16 AM   #191
newtochicago

suburban buyers -- no wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetervillerealtor View Post
This is just what I hear in the office. Most suburban buyers to prefer 600 N LSD and Avenue East. The amount of windows concern them for a variety of reasons. I like the look of 600 N Fairbanks but I certainly don't care where my clients buy!
personally i don't see how one could even compare 600 n lsd to 600 n fairbanks. 600 n lsd is horrid inside (and out if you ask me). cheap, ordinary finishes -- nothing special. but alas, if we are speaking of those who are used to the suburban life -- one home looking exactly like it's neighbor, etc -- i'm not really that surprised.

newtochicago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 01:17 AM   #192
newtochicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiman View Post
Regarding the comment about the inside views at 600 LSD, I'm not sure the view to the south of 600 Fairbanks is going to be much better once the proposed hotel goes up between Grand and Ohio.
does anyone know if this building is actually happening? last i had heard the hotel project was cancelled. please please tell me it's not getting built!
newtochicago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 05:36 AM   #193
DeaconBlue

Screen for garage or units?

Is that mesh screening the metallic backing to the parking garage or is it the window blinds in a unit?
D
Old August 8th, 2007, 05:49 AM   #194
Chiman

Likes (Received): 1

Here's a shot I took today of the screening in the parking area windows. Judge for yourselves...

image hosted on flickr
Chiman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 07:05 AM   #195
dropdeaded209

i think we'll need to see more than three to determine the overall aesthetic, but put me in the skeptics group for now. that glass is so beautiful, i feel like it could handle parking levels as well as living levels without any added application.
dropdeaded209 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 11:47 AM   #196
pflo777
BANNED

Likes (Received): 89

I am not sure about that metal panels behind the class facade of the garage.

It will completely partition the buiilding into two parts:

one is the garage withte glass/metal thing, and the the residentail tower ontop of it.

Right now, it looks much better, as the building is a sleek unit.

But maybe I am wrong...
pflo777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 03:49 PM   #197
Helmet Yawn

You're missing the big picture here. The garage will ultimately be the most consistent looking part of the facade with the uniformly distributed metal panel backer.

Now imagine the residential floors. Someone on these boards said the building will have predetermined mandated window screenings....but they will all be up and/or down based on the individual unit owner living within. Imagine a toothless grin. Depending on your view of Modernism, this could be a difficult thing for many people to aesthetically accept. I for one look forward to the diversity.

The whole point of this building is the idea of the membrane; the container which has activity within defining the exterior. It's a great project.

That said, for a completely different conceptual reason that I feel is also very successful, I do think that 600 Lakeshore Drive is also a great project. To say it isn't and to call people who like it 'suburban' is a little obtuse. It's like comparing an apple and an orange....but I suppose not everyone loves oranges.
Helmet Yawn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 04:54 PM   #198
Chiman

Likes (Received): 1

To say that 600 Lake Shore is “horrid” is out of line. The interior finishes are very good for the money and there’s a wide selection. My favorite aspect is the exterior design – it appeals to my sense of taste, but “to each his own”.

600 North Fairbanks seems more philosophically focused and is a treat for those of us who admire how buildings look from the outside. (I’m not sure how occupant friendly it will be.)

I agree that the garage will be “the most consistent part of the facade”, but does the screening match the spirit of the design? If you’re going to have see-through bedrooms and master baths, you may as well expose you Audi as well!
Chiman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 05:38 PM   #199
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmet Yawn View Post
Now imagine the residential floors. Someone on these boards said the building will have predetermined mandated window screenings....but they will all be up and/or down based on the individual unit owner living within. Imagine a toothless grin. Depending on your view of Modernism, this could be a difficult thing for many people to aesthetically accept. I for one look forward to the diversity.
It works on 111 S. Wacker (taken by RUNFAR):
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 07:00 AM   #200
Retrograde
Chicago

Likes (Received): 4

August 8, 2007

Retrograde no está en línea   Reply With Quote