daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 11th, 2007, 03:48 AM   #201
DeaconBlue

Likes (Received): 0

I hope you are right

I hope Helmet Yawn is right about the mesh screening. I went by the building yesterday and right now I don't think I'm on board with the garage cladding. I agree that the building will dramatically be changed and be less cohesive. It's hard to imagine the finished product, though, so I'll have to give Helmet the benefit of the doubt.
D
DeaconBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 11th, 2007, 03:52 AM   #202
DeaconBlue

Cheap finishes

I like 600 LSD, I think that they are nice towers if not anything ground breaking. I don't, however, think that the interiors were a good value at all. Carpeting and GE appliances are inappropriate for the money in my view. The price per square foot was just as much as 600 N Fairbanks but the location for day-to-day conveniences is awful and I think that they are trying to get by just on the cachet of being on Lake Shore Drive.
D
Old August 11th, 2007, 03:58 AM   #203
DeaconBlue

Ohio

If any of you ever take the Ohio St. exit off of 90, this building is now the first thing you see out over the highway in the distance as you come into downtown. I'll see if I can get a pic the next time I'm there, but it's a really cool effect!
D
Old August 16th, 2007, 11:54 PM   #204
newtochicago

pics

here are some pictures from the other night.
you'll see the cladding on the garage -- notice how you can see the lights through it. my understanding from the sales center is that the idea is to see movement behind the cladding as well as the lighting, but that the architect did not want the actual cars seen -- just the movement/lights.

they were also installing more glass on the exterior over the weekend.

Shot with BlackBerry 8300 at 2007-08-16

Shot with BlackBerry 8300 at 2007-08-16
newtochicago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2007, 11:09 PM   #205
Retrograde
Chicago

Likes (Received): 4

August 17, 2007

Retrograde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 12:49 AM   #206
fairbanks

Finishing up the glass

It seems that they are nearly done with the glass installation. I am still wondering how things on the amenity floor will look. I noticed that they have thin glass running between the two concrete "banisters" that are at the very top of the building. The lobby seems to be coming along very well. If it is not 100 degrees this weekend, I will take some shots of the new developments.
fairbanks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 07:46 PM   #207
newtochicago

update

went by last night. looks like the drywall is up in the lobby. they were installing glass yesterday (the crane was at work) and it looks like they also installed the glass ceiling which will be above the lap pool. i also believe that the sales office will be closing at the end of the month if it's not already closed.
Old August 27th, 2007, 01:00 AM   #208
fairbanks

Updated Pictures

Hello,

The east side of the building has nearly all of the glass complete. They continue to add glass to the top of the building on the amenities floor. I was not aware that the lap pool was going to have a glass roof, but it sounds great "newtochicago". I cannot wait to move in...I was looking at new furniture/electronics all weekend!

Old August 31st, 2007, 02:28 AM   #209
Lucky Lefty

Hi Newtochicago.Just wanted to know where you heard there would be a glass ceiling above the lap pool. I ask because I too am a buyer in this building. Just spoke to Louise(design consultant) and she knew nothing of it. I truly hope your source was right because that would be sweet. Also, was anybody else told that the glass facade would be imported from Germany? I was an early buyer and I remembered being specifically told this. Come to find out its actually from Minneapolis. Regardless, I still love it.
Lucky Lefty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 02:46 AM   #210
Lucky Lefty

BTW, thanks for the pics Fairbanks. I'm like you and can't wait to move in. I truly feel this building was a steal for the price(Although I did spend over 60k on upgrades, not that it needed it). You have a world class architect, wood floors throughout, upscale appliances, 10 ft ceilings, snairdero cabinetry all for $550/sq ft. Also, did anybody select the ipe balcony? I opted out as I plan to install cedar wood instead to compliment my white maple floors indoors. Thanks for the response in advance guys!
Old August 31st, 2007, 02:58 AM   #211
Helmet Yawn

$550.00 per SF is actually quite a lot.
Helmet Yawn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 05:34 AM   #212
Lucky Lefty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmet Yawn View Post
$550.00 per SF is actually quite a lot.
You're correct in that this a bit above average for Chicago prices(I believe most projects are in the $350-$400/ sq ft range). However, compared to higher priced, higher profile buildings, i.e. Trump, Legacy, OMP, ect., this building is truly a steal. For example, those other buildings only include wood flooring in the living areas and kitchen while providing carpeting in the bedrooms. Fairbanks, wood floors standard in all rooms. Most of the aforementioned buildings have GE appliances as standard, Fairbanks you get a Sub-Zero frig, Wolf stove, and Miele dishwasher as standard. And of course lets not forget about the lovely glass. Not that I'm biased, but is there any other building going up right now with glass this gorgeous that will have a true floor to ceiling effect when standing next to it? All the amenities are on the 41st floor so everyone can enjoy the views. The location is almost flawless. You have Fox & Obel and an upscale Dominicks in walking distance. You're two blocks away from the mag mile and two blocks away from the lake. The adjacent building is a beautiful two story building which will protect north facing views(not that I'm a NIMBY, I hate them with a passion). You have restaurants literally outside your door along with a post office. I could go on and on but I'll stop. Trust me, I did my homework. BTW, nice name!

Last edited by Lucky Lefty; August 31st, 2007 at 05:44 AM.
Old August 31st, 2007, 05:04 PM   #213
streetervillerealtor

Price

I think that 600 N Fairbanks was a good deal for the location, finishes, and "prestige" factor. People are now "flipping" 1 bed 1.5 bath units at 340 Randolph (340 OTP as we realtors call it) for 650,000-725,000 plus parking. The 2 bed 2.5 bath units that sold for 699-750 from the developer are now going for 1.2 million and up!
streetervillerealtor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 05:43 PM   #214
fairbanks

Fairbanks

Hello Lucky,

Which tier are you in? I am on the northwest corner. I am very curious to see how the hallways/common areas look. I am sure that when I move in that the amenities will not all be finished but that it fine with me. Anybody else have any word on the first closings...I hear Nov/Dec in their letter, but was not sure. I did not go for the balcony upgrade..I thought the price was too high and it did not even match the dark floors that I chose!
As far as "flips"...I have already seen a couple of ads on Craigslist! LOL!
Old September 1st, 2007, 12:01 AM   #215
newtochicago

Crane coming down

I'm super excited -- today the crane is coming down! That's got to be a good sign.

I was in the office recently and told that the building is on track to meet the anticipated Nov closing date for the lower floors. I also saw the selections for the lobby and it's going to be nice -- clean lines, modern, simple designs.

We did not choose the wood flooring for the balcony but will probably do something after moving in. Had not heard anything about where the glass was coming from - sorry.

Oh -- and they've started to install more of the metal on the inside of the garage windows -- you can see from the east side of the building from fairbanks.
Old September 1st, 2007, 02:22 AM   #216
DeaconBlue

Balcony

I have an NW two bedroom and decided to get the flooring for the balcony (because my fiance made me!).

I got my unit pre-construction and the total price per square foot, including upgrades (but not parking) was about $540. I think that's really pretty good. If you compare it to the other top tier buildings, you are getting the same finishes for half the price. Of course, with Trump and Waterview, you can be on the 80th floor which deserves a premium, but is it really worth double?

I can't believe that 340 on the park units will go for that much. $1.2 for a two bedroom!? I hope you are right because if so I think that 600 NF is just as nice a building with a better location!
D
Old September 1st, 2007, 02:25 AM   #217
DeaconBlue

Flippers

As I said, I wonder if 340 on the park will be able to hold those prices. In comparison check this out http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/rfs/407440691.html It's a unit at the Fairbanks Cityront Plaza that is on the market at the sales center for $630,000 and a flipper is offering to sell it for $550k! That doesn't bode well for investors!
D
Old September 1st, 2007, 02:44 PM   #218
Lucky Lefty

[QUOTE=fairbanks;15097893]Hello Lucky,

Which tier are you in?

Hi Fairbanks! I purhased a mid level 05 unit(two bedroom northwest). Between the 05 tier and the other two bedrooms facing northeast, I believe this was the betterchoice. I prefer skyline views over lake views due to the simple fact at night lake views are lifeless(nothing but darkness). With northwest views, you get great views of the western skyline along with views of the current most beautful building in Chicago, the Hancock. Also do you guys realize we'll be able to view the most beautiful building in the world while working out(the Spire of course). Streeterville is by far the the best central area neighborhood by far. Also Helmet, I forgot to mention the state of the art AMC movie theater which is two blocks away. Is there any other building in this price range that can compete with this?
Old September 1st, 2007, 05:30 PM   #219
Helmet Yawn

All I said was that $550.00 per SF is pretty high....without any judgement intended.

Regardless, congrats on one & all's purchases. I hope they work out great for everyone.
Helmet Yawn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2007, 06:41 PM   #220
Lucky Lefty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmet Yawn View Post
All I said was that $550.00 per SF is pretty high....without any judgement intended.

Regardless, congrats on one & all's purchases. I hope they work out great for everyone.
No offense taken Helmet. I've been tracking this site for almost two years and appreciate many of your views/opinions. I'm especially in aggreance with you that most of the buildings currently going up are utter crap (maybe not your words). I agreed with almost all of your choices, you posted a few months back, regarding buildings you liked. I especially like the choice in Vancouver( I forget the name but its designed by Sir Norman Foster) and the one in Philly. Besides, how could I not like a guy named after my favorite architect. For those of you not familiar with this man's genius, may I refer you to http://www.murphyjahn.com/english/frameset_intro.htm. Prepare to witness modern architecture at its finest. What else would you expect from a pupil of the great Mies Van Der Rohe. Its a shame we haven't recieved most of his current designs. Personally I'm more of a fan of his later works than his earlier. What do you guys think?