daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 26th, 2007, 02:45 PM   #241
Chiman

Likes (Received): 1

[QUOTE=Retrograde;15561521]September 25, 2007

Great honest shot of what this building really looks like.

Honestly, if you didn't know that it was designed by a super-star architect, would you think this is that special? The confusion at the top and the silver mesh garage don't cry out great design to me.
Chiman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 26th, 2007, 03:50 PM   #242
Helmet Yawn

Likes (Received): 0

Nice pic....kind of like a celebrity mugshot.

I think the best way to experience this building is up close. It's all about the details.....unfortunately 99% of the general public won't get any closer than this pic....which begs the question: should the parts make up the whole in a high rise or should the building start from the general form and work back towards the specific?
Helmet Yawn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 04:34 PM   #243
jpIllInoIs

Likes (Received): 48

The top is not finished yet! From what I've seen the top looks great. I do concur with your evaluation of the silver base however.
jpIllInoIs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 05:56 PM   #244
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

I actually don't hate the perf. panels in the garage as much as I thought I would. The glass is reflective enough, in front of them, that they still read as glazed. I might feel differently the next time I head over to the site in person.
Old September 27th, 2007, 10:14 PM   #245
fairbanks

New neighbor/New three bedroom flip

Hello,

I noticed that Waldorf Hotels announced a new project near River East. It could be the lot right next to Dominicks, no exact address was given.....100 stories! The design looks like the Spire, but instead of a corkscrew, it is the end of a suture needle!....about 300 hotel units...350 condos....800/sq foot starting price.

I think that the garage will look great at night with the changing lights. I am more interested in the lobby! I see that they installed the mailboxes in the southwest part of the lobby...very visible from the street. I am waiting every day for my closing notice....! yes, I am eager and pathetic!

Another flip on the MLS..and the FIRST three bedroom...
19th floor listed for 1,149,000 PLUS 70,000 for parking.
fairbanks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 10:17 PM   #246
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairbanks View Post
Hello,

I noticed that Waldorf Hotels announced a new project near River East. It could be the lot right next to Dominicks, no exact address was given.....100 stories! The design looks like the Spire, but instead of a corkscrew, it is the end of a suture needle!....about 300 hotel units...350 condos....800/sq foot starting price.
We already have a thread on that project:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=528574
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 02:04 PM   #247
DeaconBlue

Mesh garage

I went by 600 NF last night around dusk, and what's interesting is that you can barely see the mesh in the garage when you are within a block of the building. Depending on the light, this building looks really different throughout the day.
D
DeaconBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 02:50 PM   #248
Chiman

Likes (Received): 1

RE: my comments about the top: It's not finished, so maybe it will change, but some early renderings (ie the ones of the first page of this thread) show the top fully glassed in. Also the salesroom model shows glass there.

Later renderings show a few voids in the top. Looks like the actual building has some glassless holes. Just me, maybe, but I liked the sleeker original look better.

Check out the change:

Chiman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 03:50 PM   #249
newtochicago

the top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiman View Post
RE: my comments about the top: It's not finished, so maybe it will change, but some early renderings (ie the ones of the first page of this thread) show the top fully glassed in. Also the salesroom model shows glass there.

Later renderings show a few voids in the top. Looks like the actual building has some glassless holes. Just me, maybe, but I liked the sleeker original look better.

if i remember correctly, we were told that the top would have a glass "wall" to act as a wind-guard around the sun deck. only time will tell...
newtochicago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2007, 03:07 AM   #250
newtochicago

top level

walked by today and walking west from the lake, you can now see how the top level will be. appears that there will be a glass wall, then open space, all topped off by the steel/glass "frame" that we now see.
Old October 1st, 2007, 06:16 AM   #251
fairbanks

Walkby

I walked by today as well...and you are right on the money. Yesterday I saw them cleaning the inside of the windows of the lower floor units. They are working hard on the lobby and are making significant progress. The concrete in the lobby looks great. I am not sure how the lobby will flow, but is seems that the main entrance is on Ohio. The metal sheeting on the garage really keeps the look of the building changing throughout the day as the sun rises and sets.
fairbanks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2007, 11:48 PM   #252
streetervillerealtor

update

I walked by twice this weekend (live right down the street) and I think the garage/sheathing looks fantastic. The lobby is large and does not have any retail which is unique for new buildings. Looking great!
streetervillerealtor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2007, 07:55 PM   #253
DeaconBlue

if i remember correctly, we were told that the top would have a glass "wall" to act as a wind-guard around the sun deck. only time will tell...[/QUOTE]

I walked by yesterday and it looks likes the open sections on the roof have been ringed with the same walls as the balconies. I agree that the original closed-in roof would probably look better, but who wants a roof deck that is closed in by glass? I think for residents it makes more sense to be open. Random question- does anyone know where the entrance to the parking garage will be? Is it on Ohio pr Fairbanks?
D
Old October 6th, 2007, 08:15 PM   #254
DeaconBlue

Flip-flop

I think it's going to be interesting to see how the flippers do. The person trying to sell the 3 bedroom for $1.14m is trying to get $652/square foot. That's a lot, especially for the 19th floor. The other listings I've seen don't seem to be much more than the post-ground-breaking prices plus upgrades. I wouldn't want to be a flipper in this market, I hope for their sakes that this building does better than the broad market.
D
Old October 6th, 2007, 10:13 PM   #255
wrabbit

Likes (Received): 5

Flippers

Last edited by wrabbit; October 7th, 2007 at 06:54 AM.
wrabbit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2007, 05:39 PM   #256
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconBlue View Post
I agree that the original closed-in roof would probably look better, but who wants a roof deck that is closed in by glass? I think for residents it makes more sense to be open.
The wind-guard might seem like an unwanted obstruction to the views, but it is a very good idea. At that height and proximity to the lake, a light breeze at street level turns into a strong wind at the 42nd floor rooftop.
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2007, 10:31 PM   #257
Second City
Loyola University

Likes (Received): 3

I'm sorry but what does (T/O) mean?
Second City no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2007, 11:04 PM   #258
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

T/O = Topped Out. The building has reached it's structural height, but has not necessarily finished (i.e. A/C equipment, rooftop gardens, paint, etc. still need to be done.)
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 12:16 AM   #259
Second City
Loyola University

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flubnut View Post
T/O = Topped Out. The building has reached it's structural height, but has not necessarily finished (i.e. A/C equipment, rooftop gardens, paint, etc. still need to be done.)
Ahhhh. That makes sense.
Thank you!
Second City no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 03:49 PM   #260
newtochicago

garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconBlue View Post
[COLOR="Navy"][FONT="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]if
Random question- does anyone know where the entrance to the parking garage will be? Is it on Ohio pr Fairbanks?
D
garage entrance is on fairbanks. building entrance is on ohio.