daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old December 24th, 2007, 01:10 AM   #341
Retrograde
Chicago
 
Retrograde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 903
Likes (Received): 4

December 19, 2007

Retrograde no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 24th, 2007, 02:48 AM   #342
spyguy
Expert
 
spyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 6,916
Likes (Received): 97

This thread is awfully quiet now.

Thanks for all the updates, SolarWind.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2007, 09:35 AM   #343
Lucky Lefty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 22
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
This thread is awfully quiet now.

Thanks for all the updates, SolarWind.
Yeah it looks like The Urban Politician shut us down . I did have to agree with what he was saying and I'm sure as did everyone else hence why its been quiet. Regarding the building, is there a reason Schatz did not go for LEED certification? I was sure they would when I first bought. I mean, this building has ecological sensitive glass, a green roof, and uses minimal materials(I'm sure to save costs). Is LEED certification really expensive? Maybe we can get our condo board to obtain this after everything is completed. I think it will add great value to our building.
Lucky Lefty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 01:00 AM   #344
Chiman
Registered User
 
Chiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 154
Likes (Received): 1

Was strolling thru the R/E listing on realtor.com and thought it seemed heavy with 600 North Fairbanks listings – and not just from the developer. Is this normal flipping, a sign of a bad market, or unhappy owners?

Didn't notice other newly delivered builings showing up so much, (two in this price range at 600 North Lake Shore and a couple at 550 N. St. Clair.)

Anyway, jotted them down -- FYI:


Unit # Asking Price Realtor

1402 624900 Net One
2107 625000 @Properties
2307 629000 K.S.
2002 650000 K.S.
2402 669000 K.S.
1401 1090000 Coldwell Banker
1404 1095000 Schatz
1501 1100000 Jameson
1901 1140000 Prudential
3705 1198000 Schatz
3001 1290000 K.S.
Chiman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 02:52 PM   #345
Chiman
Registered User
 
Chiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 154
Likes (Received): 1

What would Helmut think?

I noticed that some pictures from the real estate listings (see previous post) show that at least one unit has had its raw concrete ceiling painted. I'm not a fan of the naked concrete look, but it is part of the shtick in this building and it seems like painting it is somehow wrong.

(By the way, re: that previous post, I think K.S. may be the agent for the development, so those units are still being marketed – the others appear to be flips.)

Take a look: (Both from real estate websites -- not the same unit #, but you get the idea.)

Original:

Painted:
Chiman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 08:05 PM   #346
streetervillerealtor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 13
Likes (Received): 0

Ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiman View Post
I noticed that some pictures from the real estate listings (see previous post) show that at least one unit has had its raw concrete ceiling painted. I'm not a fan of the naked concrete look, but it is part of the shtick in this building and it seems like painting it is somehow wrong.

(By the way, re: that previous post, I think K.S. may be the agent for the development, so those units are still being marketed – the others appear to be flips.)

Take a look: (Both from real estate websites -- not the same unit #, but you get the idea.)

Original:

Painted:
Hi Everyone,

I have been chatting on www.cribchatter.com since that last post scolded us! It is a good site.

Anyway, I have been in dozens of units at 600 N Fairbanks and they are all lovely. Some units do have dry walled/finished ceilings due to the fire that occurred during contruction.
streetervillerealtor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2007, 12:46 AM   #347
Chiman
Registered User
 
Chiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 154
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetervillerealtor View Post
Hi Everyone,

I have been chatting on www.cribchatter.com since that last post scolded us! It is a good site.

Anyway, I have been in dozens of units at 600 N Fairbanks and they are all lovely. Some units do have dry walled/finished ceilings due to the fire that occurred during contruction.

Thanks for the background on the fire/finishes. And thanks for the link to cribchatter.com -- looks interesting.
Chiman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2007, 10:13 PM   #348
PARADISEINTHECITY
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3
Likes (Received): 0

seen it all!

Over the past several months I have visited most of the new buildings in Chicago and I must say that 600 North Fairbanks is the most distinctive and sophisticated! The other buildings are cookie cutter with all of the same typical finishes, appliances, design, etc.
PARADISEINTHECITY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2007, 10:16 PM   #349
PARADISEINTHECITY
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3
Likes (Received): 0

Lucky Lefty - sorry, I missed that ("Yeah it looks like The Urban Politician shut us down . I did have to agree with what he was saying and I'm sure as did everyone else hence why its been quiet.") - can I ask what you are referring to?

Thanks
PARADISEINTHECITY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2007, 07:48 AM   #350
Lucky Lefty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 22
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARADISEINTHECITY View Post
Lucky Lefty - sorry, I missed that ("Yeah it looks like The Urban Politician shut us down . I did have to agree with what he was saying and I'm sure as did everyone else hence why its been quiet.") - can I ask what you are referring to?

Thanks
Hi Paradise, if you look a page back you will see that this thread began to focus more on the interior finishes(closets, appliances, ect.). Basically a couple of posters stated this thread should focus on the architectural aspects of the building and not what "maytag" we were buying. I agree but I must say, I wish more buyers of other buildings would post about their experiences with their new home. Personally I find it interesting. We weren't literally "shut down" if thats what you were wondering.

BTW, I don't like maytag.
Lucky Lefty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2007, 02:21 AM   #351
PARADISEINTHECITY
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3
Likes (Received): 0

06 UNITS

Has anyone heard anything about or seen the inside of the 06 units?
PARADISEINTHECITY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 09:17 PM   #352
monil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6
Likes (Received): 0

design critique

Now that Fairbanks I done what are expert opinions on how Helmut Jahn did w. 600 Fairbanks? Did he redeem himself from the Thompson center?
monil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2008, 02:30 AM   #353
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop
 
geoff_diamond's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,578
Likes (Received): 2

I think it's pretty successful, save for some of the later changes (primarily to the crown). I'm sure those were financial issues that HJ had no control over, though, I can't help but think the top of the tower could have come to a slightly more graceful resolution.
__________________
Straight from Michigan and Monroe in downtown Chicago!
geoff_diamond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2008, 12:54 PM   #354
Lucky Lefty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 22
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_diamond View Post
I think it's pretty successful, save for some of the later changes (primarily to the crown). I'm sure those were financial issues that HJ had no control over, though, I can't help but think the top of the tower could have come to a slightly more graceful resolution.
What was changed? Looking at the renderings, I don't see any changes. Please point them out for me.
Lucky Lefty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2008, 03:37 PM   #355
Helmet Yawn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 259
Likes (Received): 0

judging the impact it delivers on the whole, it is kind of ordinary. world class in its details, mind you- literally WORLD class- but in my opinion a building is more than just the sum of its parts, or in the case of 600 fairbanks, the difference of its reductions.

the proportion of the base/lobby floor to the rest of the building is pretty unresolved. the top does disintegrate, but maybe more of the building should? i think it'd make the overall building more dynamic.

still, helmut jahn has raised the bar locally as far as quality of construction and confirms that an architect can also be a marketing asset to a job.

Last edited by Helmet Yawn; January 18th, 2008 at 04:02 PM.
Helmet Yawn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2008, 06:11 PM   #356
i_am_hydrogen
muted
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 7,080
Likes (Received): 203

Compared to buildings such as Allure and the Columbian, this building must be considered a success. Nevertheless, I can't help but feel disappointed by it. I appreciate the quality of the glass and the sleek shape, but beyond that it does very little to push itself into the higher echelons of design, which is where I'd expect a Jahn building to be.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2008, 03:43 AM   #357
spyguy
Expert
 
spyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 6,916
Likes (Received): 97

Kamin's review

http://www.chicagotribune.com/featur...,1628247.story

Getting the max out of minimalism
Helmut Jahn redefines skyscraper formula with his first condo tower here

By Blair Kamin
January 18, 2008


Life isn't fair, and neither are the ebbs and flows of architectural celebrity.

Twenty-three years ago, Helmut Jahn was the talk of the architecture world — a pop star/fashion plate splashed on the cover of GQ, his cool blue eyes peering out from under a light-brown gangster hat. Today, his star has been eclipsed by such megawatt architects as Frank Gehry and Zaha Hadid. Yet he's better than ever, as he makes clear in his first residential high-rise in Chicago.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2008, 08:46 PM   #358
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop
 
geoff_diamond's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,578
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
What was changed? Looking at the renderings, I don't see any changes. Please point them out for me.
Well, if you go back to page 1 of this thread and take a look at the rendering, you'll see that the apex of the tower is nothing like what we were told it would be. The original rendering shows a solid glass facade ringing the entire top of the building (whether or not it is enclosed by a roof isn't entirely clear) with foliage abound. The balcony pattern also never changes in the rendering, whereas in the built version, there is an abrupt shift several floors from the penthouse which I find quite jarring.
__________________
Straight from Michigan and Monroe in downtown Chicago!
geoff_diamond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 01:23 AM   #359
newtochicago
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 30
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_diamond View Post
Well, if you go back to page 1 of this thread and take a look at the rendering, you'll see that the apex of the tower is nothing like what we were told it would be. The original rendering shows a solid glass facade ringing the entire top of the building (whether or not it is enclosed by a roof isn't entirely clear) with foliage abound. The balcony pattern also never changes in the rendering, whereas in the built version, there is an abrupt shift several floors from the penthouse which I find quite jarring.
Sorry, but if you look at the rendering you point to, the balcony pattern does change at the top 4 floors as it does today. Those 4 floors are the penthouses...
newtochicago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 04:30 PM   #360
monil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6
Likes (Received): 0

The Sunday Tribune in the Arts and Entertainment section has some great pics fo the builiding with the article.
monil no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu