daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 20th, 2008, 05:43 PM   #361
DeaconBlue

Likes (Received): 0

Understated Class

As an owner of a 2br I am very biased, but I was quite pleased with the outcome. Is it perfect? No. There are some design flaws (particularly in the floorplans) and the top of the building is solid by not spectacular. The strangest thing about the top, IMO, is the fact that if you look at the building from the west, ie Michigan Ave, the top right (SW) corner is open while the top left (NW) corner is closed. Overall, though, this building has an understated sophistication to it that I think design/architecture buffs will really appreciate. I didn't want to be in a "look at me" building and I think that Chicago is better for having a tower like this.
D
DeaconBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 20th, 2008, 06:08 PM   #362
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Sorry, but if you look at the rendering you point to, the balcony pattern does change at the top 4 floors as it does today. Those 4 floors are the penthouses...
Umm... no, the pattern really doesn't change. For whatever reason, they seem to have rendered darker than the others, but, as I've outlined below - they are clearly in the same position as those below them.

Old January 20th, 2008, 06:16 PM   #363
Chiman

Likes (Received): 1

People are passionate about this building, but honest to God, if I didn't know it was designed by some big shot architect, I might guess that it's an office tower that was converted to condos.

Blair Kamin’s feature in today’s Trib is typical hyperbole. “That 41-story tower, called 600 North Fairbanks, is a quietly elegant wedge of glass that conspicuously outclasses all the other high-rises being built around it.”

To start with, it’s about as much like a wedge as a brick with a rounded corner (the AMA building is a “quietly elegant wedge”.) And for all the praise for “minimalism”, the finished product has a bunch of holes cluttering the top – and now I notice 3 or 4 small satellite dishes atop the not-too-well-hidden mechanical box – nice and minimal!

As for “outclassing all the other high-rises”, I respectfully disagree. The Streeter, Streeter Plaza, Parkview West, and 600 North Lake Shore Drive are all “classy” in their own way. The Peshtigo looks good on paper, not to mention a little thing called The Spire.

I don’t hate the building, and I’m happy for all the owners who are excited about it, but I think someone should point out that Emperor Jahn’s clothes are as see-through as his floor to ceiling “extra-thick glass” windows.
Chiman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 06:44 PM   #364
Chiman

The same? You be the judge:

Old January 20th, 2008, 11:38 PM   #365
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

^-- Thanks for the mockup! I rest my case.
Old January 21st, 2008, 12:57 AM   #366
Helmet Yawn

you nailed it, Chiman.

this is a fine building.....probably one of the best detailed high rises in the last 10 years, but let's not go overboard out of some sort of starchitect groupie-ism.....quite frankly, blair kamin's already turned that into his career when he's not trying to play local king maker with jeanne gang, a.k.a. the new doug garafalo.
Helmet Yawn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 01:55 AM   #367
Chiman

Glad to have you back, Helmet.
Old January 21st, 2008, 02:57 AM   #368
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiman View Post
The same? You be the judge:

spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 03:07 AM   #369
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by monil View Post
The Sunday Tribune in the Arts and Entertainment section has some great pics fo the builiding with the article.
Thanks for the notice.

spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 08:50 AM   #370
Retrograde
Chicago

Likes (Received): 4

January 18, 2008

Retrograde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 12:19 PM   #371
Lucky Lefty

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Thanks for the notice.

WOW! Just WOW! I gotta say I really love this building. Sure its not perfect, but is there any other building in this boom that exudes this level of quality and detail? The only one I can think of is 340 OTP but it has a so so location. And yeah I'm biased as a owner but I assure you I looked around carefully before making my decision. After many visits to multiple sales centers this one stuck out almost immediately.Thanks for posting the pics Spyguy and Solarwind/Retro, you're a force of nature.

BTW, welcome back Helmet. Your genuine honesty was truly missed.

Last edited by Lucky Lefty; January 21st, 2008 at 12:30 PM.
Lucky Lefty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 06:31 PM   #372
Chiman

I’m always nit-picking about this building, so here are some things I like about 600 NFB:

1. I think the lobby looks great from the street. Totally transparent; bright and open. (But an awful place for a rendezvous – not even a potted palm to hide behind.)
2. I like the tiny cantilever over the building to the north – just the right amount of overhang so it doesn’t look like it might tip over. It adds interest to the building.
3. I love the concept of being minimal. My interpretation – don’t add anything that doesn’t serve some function – no useless ornamentation. So naked concrete ceilings and walls make perfect sense. Clear glass walls provide minimum obstruction of the views. Not a lot of wasted space with hallways and foyers, etc. Jahn doesn’t go far enough in this regard, but maybe the market’s not ready for maximum minimalism.
4. I like that it has a point of view and that it’s unique. It’s great that some people don’t love it and wouldn’t care to live there – and it doesn’t make them unsophisticated suburbanite-hugging bores. Diversity is good.
Old January 21st, 2008, 09:04 PM   #373
DeaconBlue

Chiman,
FYI, the lobby is not done yet, I've spoken with the designer and she said that there are a few pieces that haven't arrived.
D
DeaconBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 10:02 PM   #374
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Lefty View Post
The only one I can think of is 340 OTP but it has a so so location.
It fronts right onto Grant Park, for chrissake!

(of course, it is kind of far from any sort of bar/restaurant scene)
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2008, 12:29 PM   #375
Lucky Lefty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
It fronts right onto Grant Park, for chrissake!

(of course, it is kind of far from any sort of bar/restaurant scene)
Sure it fronts Grant Park and Millenium Park, but I have to ask have you been there? I mean this in the most sincere way. The whole area feels very isolated and contrived. I also like that this building is within a forest of skyscrapers. I think someone mentioned earlier that they did not want to be in the "look at me" building, I feel the exact same way. 340 constitutes as one of these buildings due to its location. When you step outside the door of this building, there is no quetion you are in the hustle and bustle of Chicago. If you're going to live downtown, why not feel like it.
Lucky Lefty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2008, 04:15 PM   #376
Helmet Yawn

respectfully, i think 600 LSD is better than 340....maybe we ought to be comparing 'A Tale of Two 600's....'?
Helmet Yawn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2008, 05:24 PM   #377
bobablob

It's off topic, but I live a block away from 340 on the Park and it's in no way isolated. There's at least 5 world class restaurants within a 5 minute walk, a world-class park, lake, river, etcetera.
bobablob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2008, 10:36 PM   #378
dropdeaded209

hey quick question, hope i'm not asking something that's been answered before:

is that space below the glass collar at the top of the building going to get glass as well or remain open like that? it looks a little unfinished the way it is now, IMO.
dropdeaded209 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 12:41 AM   #379
newtochicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropdeaded209 View Post
hey quick question, hope i'm not asking something that's been answered before:

is that space below the glass collar at the top of the building going to get glass as well or remain open like that? it looks a little unfinished the way it is now, IMO.
as exterior construction is done, it seems as though that will remain open. but, it could also be that they are waiting to finish that until it warms up. time shall tell...
newtochicago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 06:11 AM   #380
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Lefty View Post
Sure it fronts Grant Park and Millenium Park, but I have to ask have you been there? I mean this in the most sincere way. The whole area feels very isolated and contrived. I also like that this building is within a forest of skyscrapers. I think someone mentioned earlier that they did not want to be in the "look at me" building, I feel the exact same way. 340 constitutes as one of these buildings due to its location. When you step outside the door of this building, there is no quetion you are in the hustle and bustle of Chicago. If you're going to live downtown, why not feel like it.
Of course I've been there!

The area only feels contrived because upper Randolph and upper Columbus are WAY too wide for their traffic volumes. They have to be wide, though, since their lower decks do carry high traffic volumes. The sidewalks are already as wide as they can be, so there's really nothing they can do about the problem except some careful streetscaping.

Also, the availability of parking in Lakeshore East means that it attracts wealthy people who drive to work but still want an urban residence. I wonder how many people in the complex actually work downtown? Pedestrian traffic is reasonable along Randolph nonetheless, especially in warmer months. Since Aqua's staircase isn't finished yet, any pedestrians going to other LSE towers must go down Randolph to Field Boulevard, and descend to ground level there, taking them past 340.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote