daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 23rd, 2007, 01:49 PM   #161
Retrograde
Chicago

Likes (Received): 4

July 20, 2007

Retrograde no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2007, 04:04 PM   #162
pflo777
BANNED

Likes (Received): 89

is the building really something special?
They are printing the name of the architect on huge letters on the advertisement, and announce that its something extraordinayry, but according to the pictures, it looks pretty much the same than those towers that are being build by a lot of other architects in chicago?

Your thoughts?
pflo777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2007, 09:42 PM   #163
Helmet Yawn

Likes (Received): 0

Careful. Better not voice a contradictory opinion on these boards....

Actually, in this case, I would disagree. While this design is basically a copy of Jahn's own Xerox building from many years ago with balconies added, he's taken the level of detailing to a remarkable level. It deserves merit if only for that note.

As far as unit layouts, there are a lot of missteps with corner master suites instead of living/dining rooms placed there to maximize glass exposure and a lot of stacked bedrooms....but even Skybridge and Contemporaine have some questionable plan moves.

That aside, the material costs alone on this tower are far above anything that's ever been done in this residential market. The developer should be applauded as much as the architect for pushing the envelope......

Now, I will pause for someone to requote this in the text of their response and violently contradict everything I just said.
Helmet Yawn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2007, 10:11 PM   #164
CHIsentinel
padisha emperor

Likes (Received): 319

Nope, you're pretty much right on the money..for once
CHIsentinel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2007, 10:13 PM   #165
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmet Yawn View Post
Careful. Better not voice a contradictory opinion on these boards....
Hardy har har. Actually, I believe most of the regulars on this forum are fairly open to differing opinions, etc. Just be sure to explain WHY you like/dislike something. Thoughtless comments like "I hate this building", with no reasons as to why, isn't going to fly.

Regarding this particular building: Helmet makes a good point about the construction quality and materials. Kind of hard to tell from photographs, but it oozes quality. Get close to it in person and you'll notice just how "tight" and seamless everything is. A fairly simple design, I think, but extremely well executed.
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 12:34 AM   #166
wrabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flubnut View Post
.....A fairly simple design, I think, but extremely well executed.
This is why I like the project also - first rate fit & finish. The glass alone all but looks like quartz, so clear & crystalline.
wrabbit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 04:04 PM   #167
Chiman

Likes (Received): 1

I know you guys love it, but I’ve got problems with the see-through glass – it may be pretty, but will it be comfortable to live in? (Assuming you’re not an exhibitionist.)

And what will the building look like when the residents pull down those quasi-mandatory window shades?

Reminds me of the old adage: “People who live in glass houses, shouldn’t.”
Chiman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 05:19 PM   #168
Helmet Yawn

I'm glad you said that, C-man.......

Of course I'm more worried about the appearance of the backs of different furniture pieces that- last time I checked- condo associations had no control over.

It does seem that in order to preserve the clarity of this residential building, noone should ever live in it. Does that bother anyone else but me?
Old July 25th, 2007, 08:10 PM   #169
fairbanks

Windows

Hello,

Moving in will change the look of the building for sure. As a future resident of the building I am not concerned with the amount of glass at all. I do not think anyone will really be able to discern anything going on in the unit from the ground. The surrounding highrises will be able to see across the way but that is often a problem in the city. I think that the building will look great at night with all of the light pouring out from the units. The building is an acquired taste and some will NEVER want to live in it, but that is why they build condo towers like 600 N. Lake Shore Drive.
fairbanks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 09:15 PM   #170
Helmet Yawn

Actually, I like 600 N. Lakeshore Drive better myself. I'm starting to understand the geometry now that the second tower is a bit taller. There's actually a lot going on there with those two buildings. But to each his own.

...at any rate, Congrats on the purchase!
Old July 25th, 2007, 11:31 PM   #171
MWR

Not Worth It.

Quote:
Actually, I like 600 N. Lakeshore Drive better myself. I'm starting to understand the geometry now that the second tower is a bit taller. There's actually a lot going on there with those two buildings. But to each his own.

...at any rate, Congrats on the purchase!
I like 600 LSD too, but I fail to understand one thing. Why would anyone buy one of the apartments that face inside between the two towers? The sliver views of the lake are not worth it!
MWR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 12:55 AM   #172
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWR View Post
Why would anyone buy one of the apartments that face inside between the two towers?
There is 1 unit per floor with this layout, and they all seem to be 1-bedroom condos. I'm guessing that's an acceptable arrangement, in order to squeeze 2 full towers onto that site. And while I'd never buy something with that kind of view either, there's obviously a decent number of people willing to sacrifice the scenery for a lower price. Same thing with floor number: some people are fine living on the 10th floor of a 50+ floor high rise, just because it saves 'em money.
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 05:12 AM   #173
streetervillerealtor

Fairbanks vs 600 N LSD

As a realtor in the area, there is a lot of buzz about 600 N Fairbanks. I have many an interested buyer who could not buy because they did not get in preconstruction. Unfortunately, they are not interested in 600 N LSD (I wish they were) as there are many units still available.

Just the buzz the office.
streetervillerealtor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 05:46 AM   #174
Helmet Yawn

It is interesting to get a realtor's point of view. Perhaps when you get a chance, you can tell us all the interesting back-story of the multiple AIA award winning financial disaster on the near west side known as Skybridge.
Old July 26th, 2007, 05:18 PM   #175
wrabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetervillerealtor View Post
As a realtor in the area, there is a lot of buzz about 600 N Fairbanks. I have many an interested buyer who could not buy because they did not get in preconstruction. Unfortunately, they are not interested in 600 N LSD (I wish they were) as there are many units still available.....
I've had a look at the demo unit at 600 N LSD's sales center; the interiors are uninspired - lots of thin wood panelling, typical developer floorplates - not what one would expect from the more contemporary exterior. The 600 N Fairbanks interior layouts, configurations & finishes are superior - really just a different league altogether.

Quote:
.....Perhaps when you get a chance, you can tell us all the interesting back-story of the multiple AIA award winning financial disaster on the near west side known as Skybridge.
Not a particularly interesting back story - the units are too large & expensive for the DINK demographic in the Near West Side.

Last edited by wrabbit; July 26th, 2007 at 05:24 PM.
Old July 26th, 2007, 06:24 PM   #176
Helmet Yawn

The units at Fairbanks are superior if you're a big fan of stacked bedrooms with a master bedroom occupying the most desirable corner in the unit, thus relegating living/dining rooms to only having one glass face, and minimal operable windows basically eliminating any possibility of anything beyond the code mandated venting requirement per habitable space.

The way I see it, marketing glitz aside, name-brand architect status aside, standard finishes provided in a model unit because eveyone knows a developer makes his money on the upgrades aside, the units at 600 LSD lay out better....in my humble opinion.

I will now wait to be violently contradicted and condemned.
Old July 26th, 2007, 07:02 PM   #177
wrabbit

Quote:
The units at Fairbanks are superior if you're a big fan of stacked bedrooms with a master bedroom occupying the most desirable corner in the unit, thus relegating living/dining rooms to only having one glass face, and minimal operable windows basically eliminating any possibility of anything beyond the code mandated venting requirement per habitable space.

The way I see it, marketing glitz aside, name-brand architect status aside, standard finishes provided in a model unit because eveyone knows a developer makes his money on the upgrades aside, the units at 600 LSD lay out better....in my humble opinion.

I will now wait to be violently contradicted and condemned.
Violent contradiction - that would be contradiction with a deadly weapon? Don't worry - it's all virtual here - only ego bruises.
Old July 26th, 2007, 07:08 PM   #178
Helmet Yawn

10-4, bro.
Old July 26th, 2007, 09:37 PM   #179
Chiman

Likes (Received): 1

Regarding the comment about the inside views at 600 LSD, I'm not sure the view to the south of 600 Fairbanks is going to be much better once the proposed hotel goes up between Grand and Ohio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Another tower for south Streeterville

Image posted by spyguy on SSP

Graves Chicago
http://www.graveshotelsresorts.com/graves-chicago.asp

Located at Ohio and Fairbanks will feature 220 Luxury guest rooms, a fine dining restaurant, a full service spa and 300 condo units. Opening is scheduled for late 2009.
Chiman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 09:52 PM   #180
streetervillerealtor

Buzz

This is just what I hear in the office. Most suburban buyers to prefer 600 N LSD and Avenue East. The amount of windows concern them for a variety of reasons. I like the look of 600 N Fairbanks but I certainly don't care where my clients buy!
streetervillerealtor no está en línea   Reply With Quote