SkyscraperCity Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

***The Official Trump Toronto Thread***

60K views 502 replies 92 participants last post by  Canadian Chocho 
#1 ·
Just a quick note to let everyone know that we've just updated the Trump Toronto website (www.trumptoronto.ca). We've added walkthroughs of the hotel suites and a sample walkthrough of The Residences, as well as a few new recent articles in the Media/News section and an expanded FAQ for the hotel and The Residences. Copy has also been updated to reflect the change to 70-stories.

We try to catch everything we can, but if anyone spots a typo, etc., we always appreciate feedback.

Thanks.

#8 ·
Mike in TO said:
TT,

Regarding your partnership with the globe - those couple of pull out sections in past months were really interesting and fantastic peices of marketing.

Can we expect any more of the 4 page pullouts with future articles on Trump anytime soon?
Thanks Mike. We thought they came out pretty well too. We don't have another one planned for the next couple of months... but will continue to be advertising in the Globe and Post.

#9 ·
Yeah, we'd love to!

Hillis said:
No more talk, build the building! :D
Hillis... we'd love to start building! Unfortunately, we've only been open for sales since last June... and we've got to sell a few more suites before financing and construction can begin. I know the perception is out there that this project has been going on forever... but honestly, it has only been in its current incarnation as a Trump International (vs. Ritz-Carlton) with the current development team from the design stage to sales in less than two years. Pretty amazing considering the number of changes that have occurred with project design and scope.

We're targeting for December 2005 or early 2006 to start construction...

#10 ·
elliot said:
tt:

If you are worried about catching typos, r u sure the building won't fall down. ;-)
Elliot - of course we're sure the building won't fall down... that's why we've worked with some of the best engineering and architectural firms in town, including Yolles and Zeidler.

But ya know, it always helps to have an extra set of eyes looking over something you've scanned through a 100 times... :)

#12 ·
I think Trump Toronto is a great building and I’m very pleased to see a structure of this caliber being built in Toronto. My only problem with it is its location. It is being built in an already dense area. If it was built only a few blocks away to the east or west, it would have been much better. The building would have also added much more to the look of the skyline. Currently, there are too many tall buildings in that area. Locating the Trump Tower somewhere between the financial district and the CN Tower would have been an ideal location. This would have filled in the emptiness, which exists in terms of high rise buildings in this area.

#13 ·
And would have brought out NIMBYS like freaking crazy!

Further, by Trump bieng where it is, you fall out of bed and you're in the commercial district of Canada.

#14 ·
"there are too many tall buildings in that area."

That's a very often heard comment, here's how I feel about that....

Toronto does not lack for tall buildings of any kind...and they are all over the bloody place...packed in clusters...spread out...any which way you like.

So, while you are putting up buildings everywhere anyway, why not also take a tiny little area, and have fun cramming as many fuking huge buildings as close together as you possibly can?

I think they should cram a few more tall ones in there after they finish with Trump and Saphire...and from the looks of things...they will.

KGB

#15 ·
The Financial District is one dense area. I can't immagine that adding to it with Sapphire and Trump would reduce the effect of the new buildings.

#16 ·
SHORTY said:
So how are sales progressing?
Shorty -

The pace of sales has really picked up in the new year. December and January have been good months for us. The word must be getting out... our registrations and web-traffic have been very high in months we thought would be slow (holidays and all).

While I am not at liberty to disclose to you an exact number of suites sold, what I can say is that we are nearing a milestone. Hotel units in particular, are selling quickly this year. Even a couple of our very limited quantity of “Trump Executive” hotel suites have been purchased. I would have thought that all the hotel studio guestrooms would have been the first to go, but the 1BR hotel suites seem to be very popular. If I had the money, I’d buy a Trump International Hotel condo in a heartbeat. The appreciation alone between now and when the building is finished will be a good deal—and the income earned from the hotel suite when used by Trump International guests is just icing on the cake. Suites B & D of The Residences also seem to be popular as well (I kind of favor the bi-level Skyplex suites E, F & G for $3-$4.5M).

And just for the record...because I see these numbers of 50% sold at Ritz-Carlton, etc., floating around the forums...prior mentions of what % was sold as the Ritz were a bit exaggerated by the previous developer. That is not our style. When the appropriate time comes, we will make the appropriate announcements. Though the location is the same, the Ritz was an entirely different development and development team. Things are just more organized and business-focused this time around with Trump and Talon.

#17 ·
TT:

"what I can say is that we are nearing a milestone."

Would that be a milestone that makes the sales staff feel good, or milestone that would provide real news regarding a start?

If it's the former, stop teasing...

#18 ·
While I am not at liberty to disclose to you an exact number of suites sold, what I can say is that we are nearing a milestone.
Well with that comment and the comment downplaying the Ritz 50% sold I'm going to take a leap of faith that maybe, just maybe Trump will be hitting 50% in the next couple of months.

Elliott, I'm assuming a "milestone" is a round number like 40% or 50% not something obscure like 36.75%.

#20 ·
The pace of sales has really picked up in the new year. December and January have been good months for us. The word must be getting out... our registrations and web-traffic have been very high in months we thought would be slow (holidays and all).
i'm curious, is most of the interest coming domestically or abroad? i've noticed a few media pieces in Europe about Trump Toronto. Trying to entice the likes of the English or German to diversify their portfolios eh?

#21 ·
This is great news! Congratulations to trumptoronto and his team for making this possible for our fair city. :cheers:

I was skeptical awhile back that Trump would even be built, but now I'm sure it will be sooner rather than later.

One concern which must be on the mind of many potential purchasers is now that Harry Stinson has made it painfully obvious that he'll trump the Trump tower. Does TTT have any plans to go to the committee of adjustments for yet another height increase which will secure its claim of being Canada's Tallest Building, and it would also allow for more executive suites that have been selling so well.

Most likley you can't comment on any future height, but maybe you could drop us a hint if a future height increase is on or off the table?

#22 ·
^ Mr Man. I don't think the final height plays much into the economic for investors portfolios.

A height increase would be nice. But given the hoops Trump & Talon have already jumped through it might be hard to justify reapplying for a height increase just months after the OMB approved the current structure.

#23 ·
Mike in TO said:
^ Mr Man. I don't think the final height plays much into the economic for investors portfolios.

A height increase would be nice. But given the hoops Trump & Talon have already jumped through it might be hard to justify reapplying for a height increase just months after the OMB approved the current structure.
Good point. I was thinking the height may play some role in the marketing of the building. Maybe suites would appreciate faster if the building is indeed the tallest in the country, maybe not. Hopefully trumptoronto can elaborate into the marketing of the height. It must play some role (large or small) otherwise they would not be mentioning it in their ads.

#24 ·
Height

Mr Man said:
Good point. I was thinking the height may play some role in the marketing of the building. Maybe suites would appreciate faster if the building is indeed the tallest in the country, maybe not. Hopefully trumptoronto can elaborate into the marketing of the height. It must play some role (large or small) otherwise they would not be mentioning it in their ads.
Regarding the height, there are no immediate plans to increase the height further--the more requests that are put in, the longer it will take to get the builiding construction started. Of course, never say never :)

Our original height increase request (from 68) was for 71 stories--which had been in the works for quite a while--and has nothing to do with what Sapphire is doing. Unfortunately, we only got approval for 70. I'm not quite sure why that additional storey was not approved. However, those extra couple of floors allowed us to increase the number of hotel suites we have to about 265. Built into the building design is the ability to shift a few floors up and down if needed (i.e. if we wanted to add more of a certain type of residential floor or add more hotel suites). It gives us a little bit of flex with the final product mix.

Regarding a marketing battle over height or storeys, it's really not that important. The fact that it is a Trump International carries a bit more weight. Sapphire has more floors and units because it has lower ceiling heights and much smaller suites than Trump Toronto. We were the first to lay claim to "the tallest residential building in Canada" and Stinson has simply used his revised height/design of the former "Downtown Plaza" as a marketing ploy to piggyback our marketing efforts. Honestly, it's a smart move on his part. And he's even the first to admit, we're selling two very different types of properties for two different types of markets. The so-called "height-battle" creates a PR-story, which in the end benefits us both.

#25 ·
Height

Mr Man said:
Regarding the height, there are no immediate plans to increase the height further--the more requests that are put in, the longer it will take to get the builiding construction started. Of course, never say never :)

Our original height increase request (from 68) was for 71 stories--which had been in the works for quite a while--and has nothing to do with what Sapphire is doing. Unfortunately, we only got approval for 70. I'm not quite sure why that additional storey was not approved. However, those extra couple of floors allowed us to increase the number of hotel suites we have to about 265. Built into the building design is the ability to shift a few floors up and down if needed (i.e. if we wanted to add more of a certain type of residential floor or add more hotel suites). It gives us a little bit of flex with the final product mix.

Regarding a marketing battle over height or storeys, it's really not that important. The fact that it is a Trump International carries a bit more weight. Sapphire has more floors and units because it has lower ceiling heights and much smaller suites than Trump Toronto. We were the first to lay claim to "the tallest residential building in Canada" and Stinson has simply used his revised height/design of the former "Downtown Plaza" as a marketing ploy to piggyback our marketing efforts. Honestly, it's a smart move on his part. And he's even the first to admit, we're selling two very different types of properties for two different types of markets. The so-called "height-battle" creates a PR-story, which in the end benefits us both.

#26 ·
ditto said:
i'm curious, is most of the interest coming domestically or abroad? i've noticed a few media pieces in Europe about Trump Toronto. Trying to entice the likes of the English or German to diversify their portfolios eh?
Ditto -

Most of the interest has been from Canadians--mostly in Ontario. Canadians I believe account for over a half of our total registrants. But we've also had very strong interest from the US, UK, Europe, Hong Kong/China, Dubai and elsewhere. Regarding sales, it has been a good mix of everyone--a bit more international mix out of the gate. Canadians were a little bit slow to buy in the beginning, but have been returning recently to purchase. I guess the more visable we are in our marketing, the more units we sell and longer we are around, the more viable this project has become in the eyes of local buyers. These past couple of months have been great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.