daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

DN Archives Found urban images from all around the world not taken by you

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 3rd, 2005, 10:06 AM   #1
ChicagoLover

Likes (Received): 0

CHICAGO | Canyon Ranch Living Chicago | 745ft | 67 fl | Canceled

Height: 745 ft
Floor count: 67
Construction end: 2009
Architect: DeStefano + Partners, Ltd.
Developer: LR Development Company, LLC

Website

Does anyone have any information about this tower proposed on the site of the administrative offices of St. James Cathedral? From the looks of the sketch I saw somewhere posted on here, it was amazing. I love the elliptical shape and hole cut out of the top... That would be an amazing addition to the skyline, unless cheapo developer baits and switches...

Last edited by i_am_hydrogen; September 26th, 2007 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Added project info.
ChicagoLover no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 3rd, 2005, 10:16 AM   #2
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 5

Actually, I sent an email to someone at the LR Development offices yesterday about this project. Haven't had a reply yet, but it's the same gentleman that i've had email transactions with before. The last time was in early October of 2004 and he told me then that hopefully they'd start marketing in the late spring of 2005 and that the building would be about 64 floors.

Remind you this was 4 months ago, and things could have changed, but if I get a reply, i'll post it here.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2005, 05:40 PM   #3
Tom in Chicago

Likes (Received): 3

They've been guaging interest through real-estate agents for the past year or so, but not making any pre-sale commitments. . . they'll probably start marketing it sometime mid-year 2005 and begin construction on it next year sometime. . .
Old February 3rd, 2005, 06:26 PM   #4
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Here's the image ChicagoLover is referring to if anyone's not familiar.

geoff_diamond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2005, 08:12 PM   #5
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 7

^ **** SOAR and their stupid bullshit. They need to move out to Schaumburg where their attitude belongs.

That tower so needs to get built
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2005, 09:03 PM   #6
ChicagoLover

I second Urban. Finally a River North tower to be proud of. Another icon, on par with Marina City, and 860-880 North Lake Shore Drive.
Old February 3rd, 2005, 09:09 PM   #7
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

I wouldn't worry too much about this tower getting tangled up with SOAR. If it doesn't happen, it will be for its own reasons.
Old February 5th, 2005, 02:47 AM   #8
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

65 East Huron

Well, I don't have that much information about this project, but what I do have you all aren't going to like

I went down the the church office building that is now on the site and spoke with a woman who knew a bit about the project. I hope that you all like the rendering of the tower with the opening, because that's all you'll ever see of that opening. It has been removed from the project. The woman told me that the engineering costs for the void were just too much. She also told me that the number of floors had been reduced to about 55 or so.

I did get a phone number and a new email address for someone at LR Realty. I'll send an email over the weekend, and if I don't hear back i'll give them a ring sometime next week.

SORRY GUYS.....
Old February 5th, 2005, 05:51 AM   #9
The Urban Politician
The City

^No big deal. Perhaps that hole will be filled in by whatever is taken out of the MoMa (or whatever it's called).

I still don't think it will look bad, although it won't be as distinct. I don't mind the reduction in height, either
Old February 5th, 2005, 06:19 AM   #10
ChicagoLover

In my mind, that's very disappointing. I do hope the tower will still be elliptical.. that shape is such a welcome site in a skyline of boxes. I should have known such a distinctive design for a residential building was a pipe dream. wimper
Old February 5th, 2005, 06:27 AM   #11
ChicagoLover

BVictor, I got my hopes up so high for this one. I want to call the developer. Engineering costs too high for whom? I want to know more... !
Old February 5th, 2005, 09:46 AM   #12
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Well from what I was told by the lady from the church, the building will retain its elliptical shape. I guess it was the developers who felt the costs were too much, as I said there was an email on the posterboards, and I will be sending one this weekend, and if I don't hear from someone by mid-week i'll be calling.

I'm also disapointed that the void will no longer be.

Hopefully between now and whenever the final plans are released, things will go the way we'd like.
Old February 5th, 2005, 07:14 PM   #13
ChicagoLover

Thanks for the info BVictor. In spite of my grave disappointment at the disappearance of the void, I am heartened to learn there are skyscraper/architecture/Chicagophiles like myself actually living in the city bold enough to venture wherever they can to get the information, this time with the "church lady."
Old February 6th, 2005, 08:26 AM   #14
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Gah! What a piss-poor decision! As others have stated: the building will still be cool because the ellipse is rare in Chicago, but, losing the void certainly knocks it off the pedestal I had it on.
Old February 7th, 2005, 09:17 PM   #15
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

65 East Huron--A bit of Info

I was so disappointed by what I was told about 65 East Huron, that I just has to send an email to the development company. I recieved this reply. Below is the email coorespondance.

Hello Ms. Molk,

My name is Butler Adams, and I am an architecture student here in Chicago. Over the past year or so i've been trying to document and keep track of all of these new skyscraper proposals. I've also been keeping track of 340 on the Park, which LR is also developing. 65 East Huron though has been somewhat of an elusive project. There is no sales center yet so I really haven't been able to ask the questions that i've wanted.

On Friday I stopped in to the St. James Church offices, presently at 65 East Huron, and I had a chance to speak with Ms. Leslie Keller, who told me that I should contact you because you'd know a lot more about the project and could answer my questions. Ms. Keller though did tell me some very disappointing news, that the void near the top of the tower is no longer a factor in the design, 'say it ain't so'. That was the distenguishing feature of the tower. She also mentioned that the building was now 50 something floors instead of 62.

I was wondering if you could tell me:

Is this project still going to happen?

How many floors is the tower going to be, and how high in feet?

Did you all really remove the void and why?

When is ground breaking scheduled?

Is this building going to be LEED Certified like 340 on the Park?

I really hope that you all retain that void. It was so striking and would have made a statement on the skyline, and it would be a shame to lose it. I also hope that you make the builing as tall as possible.
It's one of the nicest designs for a building that i've seen in a long time.

I certainly looking forward to your response Ms. Molk.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

Butler Victor Adams
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THE RESPONSE

Dear Butler-

Thanks for your recent inquiry regarding 65 East Huron. The project is proceeding quickly, and we intend to be marketing within the next several months. As with all projects of this magnitude, the design has gone through a great deal of analysis and potential modification before it will be finalized. We are, however, getting close. We are also confident that the final design of the tower will be distinguishing and striking - you should not be disappointed. Feel free to call me if you have additional questions. Thanks.

Kerry Dickson (312) 595-xxxx
Old February 7th, 2005, 09:25 PM   #16
The Urban Politician
The City

^BV, you're a SHARK, baby!
Old February 8th, 2005, 01:32 AM   #17
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Well she certainly didn't manage to give up anything, now did she?
Old February 8th, 2005, 02:40 AM   #18
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

65 East Huron mid-evening Update

Actually Kerry Dickson is a dude, and I have a bit more of information, because he returned my phone call about a half an hour ago.

As mentioned before, the void was removed due to financial reasons. The void would just have made this project economically unrealistic.

The reason why they've reduced the number of floors is because that land is zoned for a certain amount of square footage to be built on it, and by filling the void, that adds space, so to make up that difference they've reduced the number of floors. At the moment the building is some where in the 50's. Things are not set in stone yet.

The planned development is in place. Also they are still deciding whether the building is going to go for the LEED standard, as I said, they're still working out the finer details.

He also told me that marketing and a sales center will hopefully be happening in the next 6 or so months (mid to late summer).
Old February 8th, 2005, 04:40 AM   #19
7 World Trade
Long live the Twins!

what!? no more void?

oh well, either way, it's still gonna look cool without the void. the void imo actually make the building look a bit like those short modernist lampposts. lol...
The Ground Zero Rebuilding Scandal- Justin Berzon's complete story of the WTC rebuilding scandal
Proud fan of NASCAR drivers Kevin Harvick and Scott Wimmer
7 World Trade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2005, 05:21 AM   #20
ChicagoLover

I also emailed LR Realty. The person who responded to me either misinterpreted my question, or deliberately evaded it. I am going to persist with this. Let the tower breathe--let the void live!