daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 8th, 2005, 06:29 AM   #21
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 887

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoLover
I also emailed LR Realty. The person who responded to me either misinterpreted my question, or deliberately evaded it. I am going to persist with this. Let the tower breathe--let the void live!
Oh yeah! Hound them, that'll teach em'

They're still working on things with DeStefano.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 8th, 2005, 07:16 PM   #22
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

If they haven't even figured out whether or not they're going for LEED certification, then we're nowhere near where I thought we were on this project. This building could end up looking like the Apparel Center at this point.
geoff_diamond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2005, 06:06 AM   #23
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

I got anemail today from LR Realty, and I was told that the building wouldstill be elliptical.
Old February 17th, 2005, 06:35 AM   #24
ChicagoLover

Likes (Received): 0

ooooooh give us the void .. give us the void... PLEASE... They have a chance to build an icon! They could rename it the LR building, or hell the name of the developer .. just give us the void!!
ChicagoLover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2005, 07:15 AM   #25
ChicagoLover

Update

Has anyone been keeping up with the news for this tower? I saw this today at the website for St. James Cathedral:

St. James Cathedral update on 65 E. Huron

This news looks extremely promising. A quasi-void... I'm dying to see the latest plans.
Old April 11th, 2005, 07:16 AM   #26
ChicagoLover

Update from St. James Cathedral website

update
Old April 11th, 2005, 07:28 AM   #27
mypetrobot

void is a void. i still like it.
mypetrobot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2005, 08:28 AM   #28
simulcra
Cynical post-collegiate

Likes (Received): 1

Bah... i want an actual void, not a quasi-void!
Old April 11th, 2005, 09:16 AM   #29
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

A quasi-void isn't a void at all. It's a goddamn dent.
Old April 11th, 2005, 06:26 PM   #30
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by simulcra
Bah... i want an actual void, not a quasi-void!

You can either have this or no tower at all, take your pick!!!

I'm going to call then and see it it's at all possible for a couple of "architecture students to attend.

Building Redevelopment

Parish Meeting April 17
12:00 Noon - Burrill Hall
Update on Redevelopment

Read the Dean's Letter

Plans are underway for a spectacular new building to be built at 65 East Huron, the current site of offices and meeting space for the Episcopal Diocese of Chicago and St. James Cathedral.

The first three floors of the new 50-plus-story eliptical, glass-clad building will house program and conference space (first floor and mezzanine), the Cathedral offices (mezzanine), and the diocesan offices (second floor), connected by a stunning 3-story glass atrium.

Several floors of valet parking, and about 40 floors of condominiums will rise above the Cathedral and Diocesan floors. Construction is expected to begin in 2006 and the building is scheduled to be completed in late 2008.

More details will be posted here as they become available.

An early drawing of the new building. Several modifications have since been made, including the "cut-out" at the top which will now be recessed but not open all the way through.
Old April 12th, 2005, 06:43 AM   #31
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Well, void or no void... I think the massing will be a refreshing change for a very rectilinear city. It will be nice to have such a prominent organic form in the skyline.
Old July 21st, 2005, 01:25 AM   #32
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Well; Tom, Shawn and myself has an opportunity to go to the LR Development offices today and collect a little information on 65 East Huron and the Streeterville tower (also known as Parcel 24).

Both projects are moving forward. I was unable to learn exactly when the towers will start marketing, but there is a chance that the Streeterville Tower will start marketing units first.

Both towers will be between 55 and 60 stories, and both buildings will be about 650' tall.

LR is still thinkiong about shooting for leed for both projects.

We were also able to see the renderings of both projects. Those who were concerned about the void being removed from 65 East Huron, rest easy, everything still looks pretty much the same. As mentioned before, there is now an indentation, and that space has been filled by units. Other than that the building looks virtually the same.
Old July 21st, 2005, 02:35 AM   #33
Chi_Coruscant

Thank goodness, 65 E Huron project is still alive!

I realized that the Streeterville Tower is actually 500 N. LSD; 58 stories high; designed by Perkins & Will. Can you post the rendering here?

Last edited by Chi_Coruscant; July 21st, 2005 at 03:14 AM.
Chi_Coruscant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2005, 05:55 PM   #34
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1
Well; Tom, Shawn and myself has an opportunity to go to the LR Development offices today and collect a little information on 65 East Huron and the Streeterville tower (also known as Parcel 24).

Both projects are moving forward. I was unable to learn exactly when the towers will start marketing, but there is a chance that the Streeterville Tower will start marketing units first.

Both towers will be between 55 and 60 stories, and both buildings will be about 650' tall.

LR is still thinkiong about shooting for leed for both projects.

We were also able to see the renderings of both projects. Those who were concerned about the void being removed from 65 East Huron, rest easy, everything still looks pretty much the same. As mentioned before, there is now an indentation, and that space has been filled by units. Other than that the building looks virtually the same.
^Thanks, Butler. Did they mention anything about SOAR or issues with city approval?
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2005, 01:07 AM   #35
ChicagoLover

BVictor, based on the rendering of the so-called "Streeterville Tower", what is your assessment? Is Chi Coruscant is correct about this being the R. Johnson building? How does it compare with his other work?

Why is it taking a long time to introduce the 65 East Huron building? Does the process have more to do with the client (the church) or the market?
Old July 22nd, 2005, 11:41 AM   #36
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoLover
BVictor, based on the rendering of the so-called "Streeterville Tower", what is your assessment? Is Chi Coruscant is correct about this being the R. Johnson building? How does it compare with his other work?

Why is it taking a long time to introduce the 65 East Huron building? Does the process have more to do with the client (the church) or the market?

It is a very nice design. I believe that it will make an elegan edition to the Chicago Skyline. It's height will come very close to that of Lake Point Tower to the east. LR really didn't have to deal with SOAR on this project, because the land had been re-zones several years ago by Dan McLean when he owned the property. I believe that one you all see it, you will like it. It's not as modern as Skybridge, but I think it's better than the Clare at Watertower. I feel it's quite nice. I'd give it an A- or B+

65 East Huron is taking so long, because several things had to be re-designed, including the parking layout, and the modification of the void. Don't worry though. LR Development has a good reputation, so just be patient.

It's better that they take their time and not rush into things, because when you rush, you are liable to have more problems.

Below is basically the shape of the building.

Of course, this is the old rendering of 65 East Huron

The back glass wall of the void will be where the back of those balconies are. So the indentation is roughly about 15' or so on both sides. And residential units have filled that space.

Last edited by BVictor1; July 22nd, 2005 at 11:52 AM.
Old July 23rd, 2005, 10:51 PM   #37
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Well, it's official... there goes my view (
Old August 20th, 2005, 04:43 AM   #38
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

I was browsing Emporis and saw that they listed this tower as approved with 67 floors and a height of 730 feet. Anyone know anything new about this tower?
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2005, 05:33 AM   #39
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy999
I was browsing Emporis and saw that they listed this tower as approved with 67 floors and a height of 730 feet. Anyone know anything new about this tower?
It's no longer that tall. It's about 55 stories at the moment
Old August 23rd, 2005, 05:50 AM   #40
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Well that sucks
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote