daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 11th, 2005, 03:57 AM   #41
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Not sure if this is new or not:

spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 11th, 2005, 05:53 AM   #42
ChicagoLover

Likes (Received): 0

Not sure either. This was my favorite development, and now we hear nothing about it. I tried to write a nice, solicitous letter to the point person for this thing at St. James Cathedral. His response was all of "We're in the planning stage." Thanks guy! I suppose he has his reasons for being discreet.
ChicagoLover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 05:59 PM   #43
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 882

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy999
Not sure if this is new or not:

No, its not the most recent design, this is the old one. As mentioned in the past, the void is no longer a part of the building, it's just an indentation not. The overall design is the same. Imagine a 10-15' indentation in the space where the void is and that's the way the tower looks now.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2005, 12:53 PM   #44
Chi_Coruscant

65 E Huron is still alive.

Canyon Ranch set to lease in Streeterville November 1, 2005

BY DAVID ROEDER Business Reporter Advertisement
http://www.suntimes.com/output/busin...-canyon01.html

The posh Canyon Ranch resort -- which markets condominiums, fitness programs and food in the name of healthy lifestyles -- would open its first Chicago operation under a tentative deal signed with developers of a Streeterville high-rise.

Canyon Ranch has agreed to take 65,000 square feet in a planned 64-story building at 65 E. Huron, said Thomas Weeks, president of LR Development Co. He also said the project will market 100 hotel condos linked to Canyon Ranch.

The balance of the building would contain about 330 residential condos. The project would rise on the southwest corner of Huron and Rush, currently the site of offices for the Episcopal Diocese of Chicago.

Weeks said the addition of Canyon Ranch entails a modified design, for which LR will seek a zoning change. The original design, which the City Council endorsed in December 2003, included a hole in the upper floors that would have formed open-air terraces.

Ald. Bernard Stone (50th) expressed concern about the terraces' safety. Weeks said the redesign addresses that concern by narrowing the hole and incorporating the space into Canyon Ranch.

LR has a contract to purchase the site from the Episcopal Diocese, and has yet to start marketing the condos. Weeks said if he gets city approval of the new design, he hopes to start construction in 2006, and finish it in 2009.

Canyon Ranch has been mentioned as a possible tenant for downtown's empty Block 37 across from Marshall Field's, but experts said they expect the deal with LR would foreclose on that possibility.

Weeks said Canyon Ranch has signed a letter of intent with his firm. The legal step precedes final lease negotiations. Approval of the Canyon Ranch board also is needed, Weeks said.

Canyon Ranch owns spas in Tucson, Ariz., and Lenox, Mass. It is building its first "community,'' a condo and hotel complex on beachfront property in Miami.
Chi_Coruscant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2005, 05:33 PM   #45
wickedestcity
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

i never knew Canyon Ranch resort has been mentioned as a possible tenant/hotel possability for block37
wickedestcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2005, 06:49 PM   #46
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedestcity
i never knew Canyon Ranch resort has been mentioned as a possible tenant/hotel possability for block37
^Yeah, they were.

I just hope this doesn't screw Block 37 over
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2005, 11:22 PM   #47
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician
^Yeah, they were.

I just hope this doesn't screw Block 37 over
Why would it screw Block 37 over? It's not like they signed a lease then pulled out of it. It was just speculation.
Old November 1st, 2005, 11:30 PM   #48
spyguy
Expert

Good to hear news about this tower at least.
Old November 1st, 2005, 11:58 PM   #49
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1
Why would it screw Block 37 over? It's not like they signed a lease then pulled out of it. It was just speculation.
^Yeah, but Mills isn't exactly soaking in a bath of interested retailers, despite what they claim. If retailers who are interested in Block 37 sign on to different developments, it's only going to make it harder for Mills Corp, I would think
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2005, 12:02 AM   #50
spyguy
Expert

Bring back the idea of Harrod's for B37. I would love to have their world class grocery store even.
Old November 2nd, 2005, 06:16 PM   #51
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

Too bad 65 E. Huron isn't in S'ville.
geoff_diamond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2005, 10:25 PM   #52
Frumie

I trust you all noticed the announced reduction in the hole at the top of the building?
Frumie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2005, 11:21 PM   #53
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Butler,

Your guess regarding the height for the Huron-Rush project is correct. The building would be back at its previously approved height of 720', approximately 64 occupied floors. Just so you can get an idea how long it takes for something like this to develop, we were working on the expanded building when we met over the summer. The update in the paper this morning is the item I hinted at during our discussion when I said that we might have a way to get the height back in the building. I have attached a rendering of the view of the building from the west.

As for the tower at Illinois and Lake Shore Drive, we wouldn't be working on it as hard as we are if we didn't think that there was a good chance that it would be built. Obviously, there is still a lot of work to do on the development of the design of the building and the necessary approvals, but we are confident. I don't have any images to send you at this time, but maybe in the near future.

New Rendering of 65 East Huron

ENJOY
Old November 3rd, 2005, 11:24 PM   #54
spyguy
Expert

Wow, good work. I like what the they did to the top floor, but umm...the entire hole is clogged up. I knew to expect it, and it's better than just a complete cylinder, but I still thought there might be a little gap. Obviously not.
Old November 4th, 2005, 12:21 AM   #55
wickedestcity
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

sexy!
wickedestcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2005, 12:29 AM   #56
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

Quote:
Butler,

Your guess regarding the height for the Huron-Rush project is correct. The building would be back at its previously approved height of 720', approximately 64 occupied floors. Just so you can get an idea how long it takes for something like this to develop, we were working on the expanded building when we met over the summer. The update in the paper this morning is the item I hinted at during our discussion when I said that we might have a way to get the height back in the building. I have attached a rendering of the view of the building from the west.

As for the tower at Illinois and Lake Shore Drive, we wouldn't be working on it as hard as we are if we didn't think that there was a good chance that it would be built. Obviously, there is still a lot of work to do on the development of the design of the building and the necessary approvals, but we are confident. I don't have any images to send you at this time, but maybe in the near future.

New Rendering of 65 East Huron

ENJOY
So is the 'Huron-Rush project' which is 'approved at 720' and 64 stories' the same as 65 East Huron ?
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2005, 12:55 AM   #57
Chi_Coruscant

Quote:
As for the tower at Illinois and Lake Shore Drive, we wouldn't be working on it as hard as we are if we didn't think that there was a good chance that it would be built.
So they really meant it about building TV Tower?????? So, it's not a ploy for other reason such as outdueling the FS.
Chi_Coruscant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2005, 12:43 AM   #58
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Well, 65 East Huron was approved last Thursday at the plan commission meeting. Yes, the tower had been approved before, back in 2003, but the design had to be amended. Remember, the void was filled and that means that there were design and structural changes, and more square footage was added.
Old December 20th, 2005, 04:58 AM   #59
lazar22b

i'm a fan of this buliding. This will definitly add something distinct to the great chicago skyline. I for one can't wait for it to start construction.
lazar22b no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2005, 06:08 PM   #60
mohammed wong

Likes (Received): 10

arent we starting to get a bit too many all glass type buildings?,
to me this isnt very interesting, and very samey with other buildings going up,
and that top thing is that a ****** or something? its kindof of stupid looking,

i wouldnt want to live in it, some glass buildings, is okay, but are we trying to be dallas or something, lets get some different styles going up, this is just building a building just for the sake of building a building,
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote