daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 2nd, 2015, 06:11 PM   #21
BriedisUnIzlietne

Likes (Received): 2896

They recently completed the European gauge railway from Poland to Kaunas. But the European gauge passenger service hasn't been established yet.

I have no idea about the Poland–Lithuania train service. I found this webpage that shows you have to switch trains in Mockava (border station). Meanwhile the Lithuanian Railways webpage doesn't even offer the option to show the timetable for Kaunas–Mockava trains. From their webpage it seems that trains from Kaunas go only as far as Marijampole. Weird.

As for Lithuania–Latvia rail link — the only train (an overnight train) was cancelled in May...

But the Latvia–Estonia rail link is very confusing. There are 3 trains per day from Rīga to Valga. Until 31st of December (I hope they don't extend this again) 2 of those services are run by replacement buses. And only the midday replacement bus service makes a connection to the Valga–Tallinn train. From January it should be possible to get to Valga by train and make the connection to Valga–Tallinn train.

dimlys1994, mcarling liked this post
BriedisUnIzlietne no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 3rd, 2015, 12:24 AM   #22
Trupman

Likes (Received): 408

If I got it right, there's currently no train running between Poland and Lithuania. All in all, choosing train for an international traveling in between Baltic countries does not seem very reasonable.
Old December 3rd, 2015, 12:53 AM   #23
suasion

Likes (Received): 1850

I went to Vilinus from Poland once, I can't remember if I changed train in Lithuania
suasion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2015, 11:33 PM   #24
karakachanow

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trupman View Post
If I got it right, there's currently no train running between Poland and Lithuania.
There was a Polish train planned to Mockava, but was cancelled due to lack of connection. The talks about regional train on that route also achieved nothing.
karakachanow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2015, 01:43 AM   #25
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trupman View Post
If I got it right, there's currently no train running between Poland and Lithuania. All in all, choosing train for an international traveling in between Baltic countries does not seem very reasonable.
Yes, take the bus instead.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2016, 08:32 PM   #26
IanCleverly
A New Kind of Medicine

Likes (Received): 230

Never even knew this website existed (until I got 'recommended it as a Twitter follow)

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Railway Review
The European Investment Bank and Lietuvos Geležinkeliai (LitRail), has signed an agreement for €68 million in support for the modernisation of railways and rolling stock in Lithuania.

<snip>

Albertas Šimėnas, Deputy Director General of Lithuanian Railways said: "Modernisation of railway infrastructure is one of our top priorities. Our long-lasting cooperation with the EIB contributes to the implementation of a variety of projects that are significant not only for Lithuania, but for the whole of Europe too".

The infrastructure schemes include track duplication, renewal and electrification on several sections of the Kena to Klaipėda line via Vilnius, Kaišiadorys and Radviliškis. The project will also address the renewal and extension of the Klaipėda railway hub and some complementary traffic safety and noise abatement measures. Upon completion, it will help to remove bottlenecks and increase the capacity of the lines, so that 1,050m long 6,000t freight trains can use these tracks.

EIB Vice-President Jan Vapaavuori, responsible for operations in the Baltic countries, added: "Lietuvos Geležinkeliai is a key chain link in the Lithuanian economy and the EIB is glad it can contribute to this important modernisation programme, which will benefit all Lithuanians who use the railways on a daily basis. Sustainable forms of transport have long been an EIB priority and will continue to be so in the coming years".
Taken from Here
IanCleverly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2016, 07:33 PM   #27
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26123

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=529

Pesa inter-city DMUs enter service in Lithuania
Friday, June 10, 2016

THE first of seven 730ML DMUs being supplied by Pesa, Poland, to Lithuanian Railways (LG) entered service on the 376km Vilnius - Klaipeda route on June 9

Each three-car articulated train seats 150 passengers including 16 in first-class. LG says the low-floor trains offer improved accessibility for passengers with disabilities and enhancements including Wi-Fi, LCD passenger information screens, drinks machines, and leather seats in first class

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

AlexisMD liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2017, 01:03 PM   #28
naujininkai

Likes (Received): 193

Till 2021-22 about 309 km of railways from Kaišiadorys to Klaipėda will be electrified. It will cost 250–300 mln. Eur.
More info in lithuanian here.

BriedisUnIzlietne liked this post
naujininkai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2017, 09:38 PM   #29
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

That's some very good news. I assume we're going to see some speed increases as well. We've been stuck with 120km/h for way too long.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2017, 02:45 PM   #30
BriedisUnIzlietne

Lol, probably not

It's just electrification. And with freight being the main target.
160 needs changes in signaling, infrastructure and perhaps even rolling stock

PS I'm jealous about the progress of Lithuanian railways
Old December 20th, 2017, 12:09 AM   #31
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriedisUnIzlietne View Post

Lol, probably not

It's just electrification. And with freight being the main target.
160 needs changes in signaling, infrastructure and perhaps even rolling stock

PS I'm jealous about the progress of Lithuanian railways
Keep in mind that they're also upgrading the track to double track between Kaisiadorys and Klaipeda. Some rolling stock is already capable of 160km/h (double deckers used by Lithuanian Railways) while some can do 140km/h (Pesa 730M). There were talks about speed increase on Vilnius-Kaunas route to 140-160km/h by one of the offcials a few weeks agfo. All in all I think it's likely that things may be moving forward this time.

Another reason to have some hopes is the new management of the Lithuanian Railways. I don't know how much everyone is aware but there was a complete and unprecedented purge of the previous management of the Lithuanian Railways who were engaged in corrupt deals and were basically a bunch of thugs using the company for their own needs. They were pretty much told to get the hell out as they were standing. All at once (a dozen or so people). Followed up by further cuts in staff numbers and restructuring. The new management is much younger and have nothing to do with the old corrupt establishment or politics for that matter.

The current minister of Transportation (who is largely responsible for the transformation of Lithuanian Railways) is known for having an extreme lack of tolerance for corruption or lack of transparency and is easily the best and most competent minister in Lithuanian Government at the moment.

With all this in mind I do have some hopes.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2017, 01:20 AM   #32
BriedisUnIzlietne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
Keep in mind that they're also upgrading the track to double track between Kaisiadorys and Klaipeda. Some rolling stock is already capable of 160km/h (double deckers used by Lithuanian Railways) while some can do 140km/h (Pesa 730M). There were talks about speed increase on Vilnius-Kaunas route to 140-160km/h by one of the offcials a few weeks agfo. All in all I think it's likely that things may be moving forward this time.
Yes, it's great that you are also double tracking. By the way, how does LG finance that? Also mostly EU co-funding or parts come from the state?

An upgrade of Kaunas–Vilnius to 160 is very logical and I am indeed pleased to hear that they want to do so. It would probably boost the economy of both cities and entire Lithuania. But the Klaipeda line is very long and probably would not bring that big benefits to the economy. (Though it would be very nice and strengthen the regions)

Quote:
Another reason to have some hopes is the new management of the Lithuanian Railways. I don't know how much everyone is aware but there was a complete and unprecedented purge of the previous management of the Lithuanian Railways who were engaged in corrupt deals and were basically a bunch of thugs using the company for their own needs.
WOW! I didn't know. I'm more and more jealous of you guys