daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 24th, 2006, 03:07 AM   #181
NearNorthGuy

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrograde
September 19, 2006

The nearest facade in the photo, i.e., the building with the first two floors open to the elements, once housed Harding's Restaurant from the 1930's through the 1960's.

In the 1960's, when I was a kid, Harding's was part of the Christmastime ritual for our family. Our parents would bring the six kids in our family down to Marshall Field's and then to dinner at Hardings.

The back room of Harding's was called "Pirate's Cove." They had a Treasure Chest up against one of the walls. The waiters wore pirate-style tri-corn hats.

When a child cleaned his/her plate, the waiter would give the child a fancy fake-parchment certificate to bring over to the Treasure Chest. The certificate enabled the child to grab a small wrapped present out of the Treasure Chest. The present was usually a small toy.

I support the Legacy project, but we should take note of the rich history that filled these low-rise buildings. Think of all the families that laughed inside where that gaping hole now stands. Life goes on!
NearNorthGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 24th, 2006, 06:45 AM   #182
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

Nice story! I have a lot of neat memories of lost stores and restaurants like that, too. My most cherished one is probably a memory of visting Salvage One with my parents when I was 8 or so. This was back when they were in a warehouse off Maxwell Street; I loved all the layers of history you could see there in the warehouse. The warehouse no longer exists in that form, and it's why I've taken every opportunity I have to document old industrial architecture.

So yeah, I miss all the quirky urban stuff that leaves when an area become trendy - the weird signage, the restaurants, painted-on-brick ads, warehouses, etc. I wish some local businesses would stay, though. It worked in Manhattan.

Last edited by ardecila; September 24th, 2006 at 06:54 AM.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2006, 05:19 PM   #183
Colonel Cadillac

Likes (Received): 7

It will be a shame if they gutted those old buildings and then don't build this tower. There is a similar problem here in Providence, but I don't like that tower but would love to see the Legacy come to fruition.
Colonel Cadillac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2006, 07:41 PM   #184
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Why wouldn't they build it? It's over 70% sold I believe.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2006, 12:00 AM   #185
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 887

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Why wouldn't they build it? It's over 70% sold I believe.
i believe that he's just comparing it to what happened where he lives. i suppose that you never know what could happen.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2006, 07:26 AM   #186
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

All the facades have been braced and I would assume demo will be starting shortly.

Old November 26th, 2006, 09:35 AM   #187
Retrograde
Chicago

Likes (Received): 4

I never got around to posting this picture on SSC. It's from November 2. Demo was well underway then.

Retrograde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2006, 06:55 PM   #188
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

That's what I get for not going around back to the alley
Old November 27th, 2006, 04:36 PM   #189
mohammed wong

Likes (Received): 10

I dont know how i missed this building before,
but I really really like it, and am very happy they saved the facades of the buildings below,
what I wonder about is if Chicago is a tad hasty with this sort of thing?,
more so than Newyork?, facade saving and tall building above instead of something just being historical and untouchable,

Definitely nice nice project though

Last edited by mohammed wong; November 27th, 2006 at 04:42 PM.
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 12:15 AM   #190
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

NYC seems to be doing the same thing with many buildings, including Hearst.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 01:08 PM   #191
Colonel Cadillac

Likes (Received): 7

Yeah I was just comparing to a similar situation here in my city. I'm almost sure this one will happen.
Colonel Cadillac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 04:55 PM   #192
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammed wong View Post
what I wonder about is if Chicago is a tad hasty with this sort of thing?,
more so than Newyork?, facade saving and tall building above instead of something just being historical and untouchable
This is the Jewelers Row landmark district, which was supposed to be untouchable. Chicago's landmark ordinance says designated buildings cannot be demolished and new construction must be similar in height and massing to surrounding buildings. Until this project was approved, no one knew you could interpret that to mean wiping out all but the front 12 feet and putting an 800-foot building in a low-rise district.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 05:33 PM   #193
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Well, I think it's a fair trade off.

For all practical purposes the streetscape looks exactly the same to the passerby, perhaps even better than before. And we get a beautiful, glassy highrise to top it off.
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2006, 12:32 AM   #194
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Quote:
Until this project was approved, no one knew you could interpret that to mean wiping out all but the front 12 feet and putting an 800-foot building in a low-rise district.
Umm. Yeah. I would hardly call this a low-rise district? Mid-Continental plaza is DIRECTLY across the street from the future site of the Legacy and stands at 582'. The Heritage is two blocks to the north at well over 600', CNA Plaza two blocks to the south is 601' tall, and there's 100 more towers in a four block radius.
Old December 24th, 2006, 01:43 AM   #195
The Urban Politician
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Until this project was approved, no one knew you could interpret that to mean wiping out all but the front 12 feet and putting an 800-foot building in a low-rise district.
^ Seriously Mack, what's with you and height anyway? There's a city out there that's perfect for you--it's called Washington DC.

I lived there for 3 years. It's a great town, and no shadows. The buildings all look like they've had their heads chopped off, but that's just my opinion. Perhaps you would be happier over there, and I'm not joking.
Old December 24th, 2006, 08:56 AM   #196
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

It's not the height that bothers me, it's the location--and the process issue related to that.

Chicago has no shortage of appropriate places to put tall buildings. Putting one in the center of a designated landmark district sets a terrible precedent. How do you tell the guy who wants to build a 70-foot townhouse in Old Town that he can't when you've just allowed a 800-foot tower in the middle of Jewelers Row? Landmarks Illinois (formerly LPCI) is very worried that this precedent--violating the Landmarks Commission's own written guidelines--now endangers historic districts all over the city.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2006, 09:12 AM   #197
qwerty1324

Likes (Received): 33

This is downtown we're talking about.

I don't understand people that move into downtown and then complain about it being downtown. What do you expect? I do not move to Schaumburg and comlplain about a lack of density or whatever and the trains.
qwerty1324 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2006, 10:23 AM   #198
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 887

Quote:
It's not the height that bothers me, it's the location--and the process issue related to that.

Chicago has no shortage of appropriate places to put tall buildings. Putting one in the center of a designated landmark district sets a terrible precedent. How do you tell the guy who wants to build a 70-foot townhouse in Old Town that he can't when you've just allowed a 800-foot tower in the middle of Jewelers Row? Landmarks Illinois (formerly LPCI) is very worried that this precedent--violating the Landmarks Commission's own written guidelines--now endangers historic districts all over the city.

Welcome to Chicago!!!

I agree, we no shortage of appropriate places to put tall buildings, this being one of them along with 830 South Michigan and the old Auditorium Theatre parking garage and lot.

You can tell a guy no in Old Town because it isn't a highrise district. It's mainly single family,2 and 3 flats with a few bigger structures.

The South Loop is exactly that South Loop. It is a highrise district. All down Indiana, Michigan, Wabash and State; from Cermack to congress, highrises are going up left and right.

If the landmarks were so important, they would have been renovated years ago and restored, but that never happened. Now the opportunity has been presented to restored what is visible and most important, the facades. The side walls butted against neighboring buildings and the interiors were altered beyond belief. Nothing other than the facades were worthy of being saved. You can't even see the Heritage much from Wabash because it is setback, and the same will hold true for the Legacy. The will be visible from the west sidewalk, but so what!!!
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2006, 05:38 PM   #199
prelude91

"Old" does not always mean "Historic"
prelude91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2006, 07:45 PM   #200
The Urban Politician
The City

Quote:
^ Actually, it is the height

Quote:
Chicago has no shortage of appropriate places to put tall buildings.
^ Yes it does. How much land area is devoted to lowrise structures, and compare that to the amount of land devoted to highrise structures.

Which of those two is larger? The former is probably thousands of times larger than the latter. So yes, there is a shortage. So stop messing around with what little land we have, please. Thanks.