daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 24th, 2006, 08:13 PM   #201
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

About 13 percent of the Loop (enclosed by the river, Congress, and Michigan) is designated as a Chicago Landmark or landmark district. Are you saying some of those should be dedesignated because there are not enough building sites?

Please be specific about which ones should be torn down.
http://www.cityofchicago.org/Landmar...LoopSouth.html
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 24th, 2006, 08:42 PM   #202
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

I'm all for landmark designations and historic preservation. But, should we be forced to look at blighted, vacant buildings just because someone deemed them landmarks? Those buildings that are truly worth saving will, more often than not, find themselves being saved (Reliance Building, North American Building, etc.). I'm so sick of seeing filthy, disinvested property on Wabash Avenue that just sits there - devoid of purpose and devoid of life. The insides of all of those structures are useless in terms of preservation - the "look" is what they're trying to save. And by performing a "facadectomy" they're doing just that and breathing new life into, otherwise, vacant space.
Old December 25th, 2006, 12:21 AM   #203
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
About 13 percent of the Loop (enclosed by the river, Congress, and Michigan) is designated as a Chicago Landmark or landmark district. Are you saying some of those should be dedesignated because there are not enough building sites?
^ Personally, I think it's people like you who are forcing developers to resort to doing these facadectomies that you so loathe.

You're trying to block highrise development in your area. This 'crusade' of yours just forces developers to demolish and rebuild in historic areas that are already developed (and have the least NIMBY opposition), like the Loop. Meanwhile, your part of town sits amidst seas of vacant and underutilized parking lots for no good reason at all.

Fact: highrises (and yes, tall ones) are inevitably going to be built in Chicago's central area. We all would rather see them go up on vacant lots than replacing historic structures. Fact: your neighborhood has plenty of vacant lots. Fact: you're against highrise development in your neighborhood. Result: developers look elsewhere, and ultimately demolitions are inevitable.

You're your own enemy on this one, buddy. If you want to save some of the loop's most historic structures than stop strutting around town with your anti-highrise shadow-study rhetorical nonsense, pretending you're some saint, and face up to reality. I see not the slightest flicker of altruism toward anything in how you're acting. Lets do everyone a favor and just let a good process complete itself--highrises are coming to the south loop and the sooner they do the better.
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2006, 08:08 AM   #204
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
You're trying to block highrise development in your area.
Perhaps you have me confused with someone else. I've never complained about or protested any building based on its FAR or its density or the number of units. I've certainly never complained about new buildings replacing surface parking lots.

(I have opined that I think Park Michigan is poor urban design (as distinguished from the architecture) and because its approval would make a mockery of the city planning process. But that's another thread.)

I testified against Legacy solely on the landmarks precedent issue. There are many ways to restore designated landmarks that don't involve facadomy or pile-driving an 80-story building through the block. The precedent set here makes matters worse because it works against ordinary adaptive reuse or restoration of small-scale buildings. What property owner will be satisfied to restore a Heyworth or Old Dearborn Bank Building as office space or hotel if they can instead build an 80-story condo on the site?

Let's suggest that developers fill up the parking lots before they resort to attacking designated landmarks.

Last edited by Mr Downtown; December 25th, 2006 at 04:38 PM.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2006, 06:28 PM   #205
The Urban Politician
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Let's suggest that developers fill up the parking lots before they resort to attacking designated landmarks.
^ Uhh, they are trying--Park Michigan is a great example of that.

But wait, it casts too many shadows and it invades your precious vacant lot-ridden paradise. So I guess that one's out of contention too. I guess we'll just find another site then, perhaps one already occupied by an historic building.

Face the music, buddy. People like you are the contributers to this mess
Old December 25th, 2006, 11:24 PM   #206
wickedestcity
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

now now boys lets play nice
wickedestcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2006, 02:26 AM   #207
Frumie

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_diamond View Post
I'm all for landmark designations and historic preservation. But, should we be forced to look at blighted, vacant buildings just because someone deemed them landmarks? Those buildings that are truly worth saving will, more often than not, find themselves being saved (Reliance Building, North American Building, etc.). I'm so sick of seeing filthy, disinvested property on Wabash Avenue that just sits there - devoid of purpose and devoid of life. The insides of all of those structures are useless in terms of preservation
I'm with you on this one Geoff. Those in disagreement need only google "Chicago landmark buildings" to see the overall quality of landmarked buildings in order to gain a clearer sense of what is wothy of preservation and what not.
Old December 26th, 2006, 02:44 AM   #208
wrabbit

Likes (Received): 5

Yeah, well, cities aren't theme parks. Still, landmarks don't exactly preserve themselves and we've lost plenty over the years through abuse, neglect & indifference. Plenty.

Facadectomies aren't a catchall for all situations, either. In the case of the Legacy, I'm all for it, because the older buildings at its base are notable primarily for their facades, which are being restored and preserved. This is a win-win. However, were Sullivan's Jewelers' Building next door to receive the same treatment, I'd cry foul.

What is especially eggregious, IMHO, is to see buildings of merit simply rot, burn or implode.
wrabbit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 07:41 AM   #209
Retrograde
Chicago

Likes (Received): 4

January 9, 2007

Retrograde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 07:23 PM   #210
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6533

lookin good, thx for the pic's
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 10:35 PM   #211
ChiPsy

Likes (Received): 0

What an extremely cool photo!
ChiPsy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 06:28 AM   #212
nygirl

Likes (Received): 430

Thank god. This is going to be interesting to watch grow. I think this building is sharp and have finally gotten around to completely check the thread. The more i saw the much much much more I like.. Can you guys please shake some of your style this way? Much appreciated, the city of New York.

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 06:24 AM   #213
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

According to SSP, this one is now finally officially under construction
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 07:35 AM   #214
The Urban Politician
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
under construction
^ My 2 favorite words
Old January 23rd, 2007, 05:03 PM   #215
Chi649

Likes (Received): 12

Can't wait to see this from Millenium Park
Chi649 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 07:47 PM   #216
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6533

so anyone should change the title on Emporis
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 08:09 PM   #217
megatower
BANNED

Likes (Received): 34

1-24-07, all credits go to SSP

megatower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2007, 05:49 PM   #218
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

I didn't know until now how wide the western side of this building is going to be. I'm lovin it.

i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2007, 08:13 PM   #219
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Oh the beautiful beautiful lattice of steel. Taken last night.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old March 7th, 2007, 01:42 AM   #220
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Yeah. SCB did an amazing job making this building seem razor-thin from Grant/Millennium Park, but fanning out at the back so as to provide enough sellable space to make it economical.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote