daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 6th, 2005, 08:55 AM   #41
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

Great work Butler! Sure does look like a slender version of the original Trump proposal to me
geoff_diamond no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 10th, 2005, 05:30 AM   #42
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 881

This image is from the Illinois Landmark Preservation Council website

Three low-rise loft buildings, constructed during the 1870s, were recently placed on the market for redevelopment by the Art Institute of Chicago. Even though they are located within a local landmark district, a prospective new owner has announced plans to construct a 67-story residential tower with a slight set-back from the original five- and six-story facades. The height of the tower would have a negative impact on the character of the Jewelers Row District, as well as on the historic appearance of the adjacent Michigan Avenue “streetwall,” which faces Grant Park and Lake Michigan.

And check this out.
http://landmarks.org/pdfs/jewelers_press.pdf

To be honest, I totally support the tower, and I plan on sending an email to the Council voicing my support. If you guys decide to do the same heres the contact information.

Landmarks Preservation
Council of Illinois
Suite 1315
53 W. Jackson Blvd.
Chicago, IL 60604

Telephone (312) 922-1742
Fax (312) 922-8112
E-mail: [email protected]

President
David Bahlman
[email protected]
Extension 224

Last edited by BVictor1; March 10th, 2005 at 05:58 AM.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2005, 04:32 AM   #43
7 World Trade
Long live the Twins!

even though im a guy that really favors preservation, i think the landmark preservation counsel's getting rather paranoid about this development. if they don't put the site of those 3 low-rises in development, those 3 buildings are gonna remain semi ghetto-looking, and that would still ruin the "streetwall".

i hope they'll pull off another "heritage" on this site well, with a nice tower balanced in terms of use of masonry and glass, just minus the unfinished paint job...lol
The Ground Zero Rebuilding Scandal- Justin Berzon's complete story of the WTC rebuilding scandal
Proud fan of NASCAR drivers Kevin Harvick and Scott Wimmer
7 World Trade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2005, 06:46 AM   #44
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

DAAAAAAAAAAAAMN THE PAINT JOB!!! DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED!!!

At any rate, the Heritage absolutely did it right! When you're on the east side of Wabash, walking in front of those preserved facades, you're completely oblivious to the fact that a brand-new, 600 foot tower looms above.
Old March 12th, 2005, 10:33 AM   #45
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

I agree with the both of you. And like i've stated before, i'm sure when it all said and done, they'll finish the paint job eventually.

Hell, i'll call and ask if you want me to
Old March 12th, 2005, 06:18 PM   #46
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

PLEASE DO!!!! )
Old May 5th, 2005, 02:57 PM   #47
Chi_Coruscant

Likes (Received): 0

816 ft tower????

Jewelers Row tower project moves ahead
Condo plan gets OK from landmark panel

By Brendan McCarthy, Tribune staff reporter. Tribune reporter Blair Kamin contributed to this report
Published May 5, 2005

Developers of a proposed 72-story luxury condominium tower on South Wabash Avenue received the go-ahead Wednesday from the city's Commission on Landmarks.

The skyscraper, planned for 21-29 S. Wabash Ave., still needs the approval of the Planning Commission and the City Council.

The proposed skyscraper has been hotly debated among civic and preservation groups.

Preservationists primarily oppose the tower because it is located in the Jewelers Row Landmark District, designated by the city to protect the architecture along Wabash Avenue, known for its history of jewelry makers.

Preservationists say city leaders are fast-tracking the project, and that the 816-foot building goes against landmark district rules that limit a building's height and architecture.

Some local civic groups, and the alderman, say the tower would give a much-needed boost to the neighborhood.

The proposal is from Mesa Development LLC, the group responsible for the 57-story Heritage at Millennium Park.

The Heritage is soon to be home to Mayor Richard Daley. John George, an attorney with hefty City Hall clout and a law partner of the mayor's brother, Michael, represents the development group.

The Wabash proposal calls for a slender, wedge-shaped building to be set back about 28 feet from the street.
The tower would include shops, a parking garage, Art Institute of Chicago classrooms, condominiums and a "skypark." A bridge would connect the tower to the University Club. The Art Institute of Chicago put the property on the market last spring.
Initially, the building was planned to be 67 stories tall, but the height was increased after the city's Planning Department recommended a "skypark"--an indoor park for use by the building's condo owners.

The tower would rise at the site of three small buildings. Under the proposal, the upper facades of the three buildings would be retained and restored.

"It can be done in a way sensitive to the historic character," said Brian Goeken, deputy city planning commissioner.

Ald. Burton F. Natarus (42nd) said high-rise buildings will create more property taxes and help "liven up" the downtown area.

Several opponents asked for a delay in approving the proposal at the hourlong public meeting.

David Bahlman, president of the Landmarks Preservation Council of Illinois, a non-profit advocacy group, said all of the buildings in the district, except for one, are under the 280-foot landmark limit.

"If this project is approved, it will send a clear message that zoning, not landmark criteria, is the only thing that matters in a local landmark district," Bahlman said.

A spokeswoman for the Planning Department said the Planning Commission would meet later this month.
Chi_Coruscant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 03:13 PM   #48
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

This is excellent news. The tower had previously been tapped at 797' and now it's been increased by 18'.
Old May 5th, 2005, 08:52 PM   #49
lazar22b

That is awesome news! I hope this gets the go-ahead vote.
lazar22b no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 11:40 PM   #50
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

WOOHOO!!! BUILD THAT SHIT RIGHT NOW!

I expect to see this tower completed when I get back in town on Monday!
Old May 6th, 2005, 12:41 AM   #51
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

This is outstanding news.

I knew Chicago wouldn't let up on one of its greatest skyscraper construction booms.

4th Presbyterian, you're NEXT
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2005, 02:23 AM   #52
ChicagoLover

I am dying to see a rendering of this.
ChicagoLover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2005, 02:25 AM   #53
Frumie

I'm no fan of "facadism" finding it hypocritical architecture, but will there be anything happening behind those facades? And what about the facades preserved in the Heritage Millenium building, is there anything happening there or is Wabash turning into a Hollywood set?
Frumie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2005, 02:33 AM   #54
chicagogeorge

Likes (Received): 893

816 ft!
Right on!
chicagogeorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2005, 06:20 PM   #55
The Urban Politician
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frumie
I'm no fan of "facadism" finding it hypocritical architecture, but will there be anything happening behind those facades? And what about the facades preserved in the Heritage Millenium building, is there anything happening there or is Wabash turning into a Hollywood set?
There is a 2 level retail base on Wabash, which I am sure the facades are a part of.

My only concern is that the facades have a use, ie they are actual entrances to the retail portion of their projects, and they have an interior identity. It would be better if different buildings had different stores inside of them, instead of them being separate on the outside but 1 enclosed space on the inside. Does anybody know how Heritage is arranged?
Old May 7th, 2005, 07:31 AM   #56
oshkeoto

^ No. What kind of retail is Heritage gonna have?
oshkeoto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2005, 10:08 AM   #57
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshkeoto
^ No. What kind of retail is Heritage gonna have?
I will drive past there tomorrow. But I don't believe that the retail portion is open yet. I know that there's a McDonald's in the base.
Old May 7th, 2005, 05:19 PM   #58
Chi_Coruscant

Fifth Third Bank will be located at 2nd floor of retail base by the alley across the Cultural Center.
Chi_Coruscant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2005, 07:09 PM   #59
The Urban Politician
The City

^????

Why is the city letting these lousy retailers take up space?

This is a major corridor for pedestrians between Millennium Park and Block 37/theatre district. They should push for some sort of high end apparel stores, entertainment, etc.
Old May 8th, 2005, 12:12 AM   #60
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

ATTENTION ALL CHICAGO SKYSCRAPER FANS, IF YOU SUPPORT THESE PROJECTS YOU MUST ATTEND THE NEXT CHICAGO PLAN COMMISSION MEETING ON THURSDAY MAY 19, 2005 AT 1PM IN THE COUNCIL CHAMBERS OF CITY HALL

1. A resolution in support of a proposed site plan submitted by 110 W. Superior, LLC for the property commonly known as 110 West Superior Street and located within Planned Development No. 946. The applicant has proposed the construction of a 26-story building containing 77 residential units and 85 parking spaces. (42nd Ward) (Nori Greenstein)

2. A proposed Residential Business Planned Development application and Lake Michigan and Chicago Lakefront Protection application submitted by Monroe/Wabash Development, LLC for the property commonly known as 21-39 South Wabash Avenue and 52-64 East Monroe Street. The applicant has proposed the construction of a 71-story mixed use development including 353 dwelling units, 428 parking spaces, and retail and institutional uses. (42nd Ward) (Madeleine Doering)

3. A proposed Downtown Mixed-Use Planned Development submitted by 150 East Ontario, LLC for the property commonly known as 148-158 East Ontario Street. The applicant has proposed the construction of a 51-story residential tower with retail and commercial space at the first and second floors, 165 dwelling units and 189 parking spaces. (42nd Ward) (Kathy Caisley)

4. A proposed Residential Business Planned Development submitted by 13th & State LLC for the property commonly known as 1255 South State Street. The applicant has proposed the construction of a 19-story mixed use building containing 14,000 square feet of commercial/retail space at grade, 253 dwelling units above grade and 326 on-site parking spaces. (2nd Ward) (Madeleine Doering)

5. A proposed Residential Planned Development submitted by 1454 S. Michigan, LLC for the property commonly known as 1454-68 S. Michigan Avenue. The applicant has proposed the construction of 215 dwelling units, 240 parking spaces and retail and commercial space at the first and second floors. (2nd Ward) (Madeleine Doering)

You have a civic duty and pride of a Chicago Skyscraper geek to attend this meeting and show your full support and speak in favor of these projects and challenge the fallicous arguments of the NIMBY's and preservationists.

The Chicago Plan Commission will meet Thursday at 1 pm in the council chambers of City Hall.

Show up at least 20 minutes before 1pm so that you can sign up to speak before the commission and voice your support for these projects*********