daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 25th, 2005, 09:24 AM   #141
UrbanSophist

Likes (Received): 44

We should work on preserving buildings themselves, and not the skyline's appearance. I bet the Hancock and Sears were VERY strange when first built, but people get used to things easily. The skyline should just evolve naturally, AS LONG as the actual buildings are of the finest quality architecture.
UrbanSophist no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 30th, 2005, 04:42 AM   #142
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Like that rendering a bit more.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2005, 07:48 AM   #143
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

It's a little small though
geoff_diamond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2005, 03:30 PM   #144
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 3663

At the base, will it be jointed with the neighbor nextdoor?

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2005, 06:58 PM   #145
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

^ Damn Chad, 19,000 posts? Must be the highest number I've seen

Regarding the rendering of Legacy, it's a beaut, isn't it? We sure have come a long way when it comes to highrise design in our city--it's like a coming of age
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 12:35 AM   #146
spyguy
Expert

"New" perspective from SCB site:

Old November 9th, 2005, 01:24 AM   #147
wickedestcity
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician
^ Damn Chad, 19,000 posts? Must be the highest number I've seen
hes up to 20,270 already , wow , 1200 posts in only a few days , it took me a year just to reach half that number. he must be pretty board. somthings wrong withthat number
wickedestcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 07:12 AM   #148
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

I've got both the Democratic National Committee and the Republican National Committee on the phone now wanting to consult with Chad.

And that building is damned precious.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2006, 10:17 PM   #149
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 887

Well, I just came from the Legacy sales center, and I must say tha business was booming. There was quite a crowd, and quite a few people putting down reservation deposits. I'd say that at least 200 of the units were reserved. They had a touch screen to see what units were available, and sales agents were passing around updates stats of what units were available to one another.

I was told that they hope to reach their quota of 50% by June, and this means actual signed contracts. 95% of the people that I saw today in the sales center were empty nesters. I saw only 2 or 3 younger people with minor kids there.

I did take some photos of the model, and I will post those tomorrow after I edit them.

It was also mentioned to me that there is another tower in the works that will be somewhere in the east loop. More information won't be available until next year, but to put it lightly, it will probably be taller then the Legacy

That's all for now.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2006, 10:46 PM   #150
lazar22b

Likes (Received): 0

that is really good news!!
lazar22b no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2006, 12:35 AM   #151
spyguy
Expert

New renderings

Old January 30th, 2006, 12:45 AM   #152
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

spyguy, thanks.

great pictures. don't you love the way technology actually can put the building plans into a photograph....and it actually looks like it belongs?

one point: The Michigan Avenue streetwall is more than a Chicago treasure, it's a national treasure. There is nothing like it anywhere. I love it.

Yet from a view perspective, I always found something missing with the street wall. Not from Michigan Avenue...on either side of the street. There it is impressive looking up those 20-30 floors that most of these buildings contain. Impressive, but powerful.

No, from Michigan Avenue, everything was great. What I didn't care for that much was the view from further east, directly on the Grant Park lakefront. From there, I didn't see the power of the Chicago skyline that I see from so many other angles. What particularly didn't work for me was the fact that the buildings rising behind the wall, especially on Wabash, didn't reach the type of heights I would have preferred.

But from what I can see, the Heritage and the Legacy and others like them will give the street wall an appropriately impressive height at its rear....and the juxtiposition of both will be a sight to behold.

Anyone else see this as an improvement of an uncharacteristically low look for a major skyline shot....or is it just me?
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2006, 01:12 AM   #153
ChiPsy

Good news about the sales interest, edsg. I agree about with your observations the building wall -- the addition of a few tall Wabash towers will better convey that a formidable city lies behind the (smaller scale) gems of Michigan Avenue, especially from the ground-level perspective of Grant Park.

This building also would allay the graceless bulk of 55 E. Monroe to the south.
ChiPsy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2006, 02:57 AM   #154
edsg25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPsy
Good news about the sales interest, edsg. I agree about with your observations the building wall -- the addition of a few tall Wabash towers will better convey that a formidable city lies behind the (smaller scale) gems of Michigan Avenue, especially from the ground-level perspective of Grant Park.

This building also would allay the graceless bulk of 55 E. Monroe to the south.
absolutely, ChiPsy: look at it as a totally win/win siutation: the Street Wall stays in tact and actually improves with the more height (and thus constrast) behind it. The two eras will be totally compatible.
Old January 30th, 2006, 04:48 AM   #155
Chi_Coruscant

Legacy would bring more expsosure to the historic Michigan Ave wall. That means more future high rise sprouting up at the fronts. Hopefully, the developers would take great care to make sure their designs do not overwhelm but should greatly enhance the Mich Ave wall.
Chi_Coruscant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2006, 05:33 AM   #156
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

Hot damn this tower is so sexy. I may be pulling for this one moreso than any other.
geoff_diamond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2006, 05:42 AM   #157
Jules

Likes (Received): 37

I'm just glad that it leads one's eye off Mid-Continental Plaza, I can not stand that monstrosity.
Jules no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2006, 03:04 PM   #158
edsg25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi_Coruscant
Legacy would bring more expsosure to the historic Michigan Ave wall. That means more future high rise sprouting up at the fronts. Hopefully, the developers would take great care to make sure their designs do not overwhelm but should greatly enhance the Mich Ave wall.
i agree. but the streetwall is incapable of being breached where it is most impressive....from michigan avenue itself where proximity will allow nothing else to dominate. you'd have to go east to really get a sense of what's behind. And in that sense, you get something that if done well is hard to ruin, more likely to enhance: the old city in front, its buildings forever protected because nothign can be built east of them....with the new city rising behind in contrast.

Add to this the relatiely flat skyline of the street wall, you have the best of both worlds.

In contrast, the worst of both worlds is/was Lower Manhattan. No a street wall, but once a series of narrow towers of differing height and intricate tops, this unique (and most romantic of all skylines) was compromised and brutalized but big, boxy buildings intersperced with the charming older ones.

thank goodness there is nothing comparable along the Street Wall and on Wabash and State, etc., behind.
Old January 31st, 2006, 06:42 AM   #159
chicagogeorge

Likes (Received): 893

I have to say this is a very sleek looking tower, and it's height is just right for it's location. I have a good feeling about this one. I think by this time next year we should be discussing groundbreaking!

for the Pelasgians, too, were a Greek nation originally from the Peloponnesus
The Roman Antiquities of Dionysius of Halicarnassus
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...assus/1B*.html

Macedonia, of course, is a part of Greece". Strabo, VII, Frg. 9
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...ragments*.html

But north of the gulf, the first inhabitants are Greeks called Epirotes....
Procopius
http://books.google.com/books?id=9m6...page&q&f=false
chicagogeorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 08:35 PM   #160
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 887

Here are the photos that I took this past Sunday of the model in the sales center. Excuse the people, they got in my way

The western face.

The restored facades along Wabash.

The northern face.

Green roof along the top northern edge of the parking structure.

Green roof along the top southern edge of the parking structure.

The western face.

Skygarden on the 60th floor.

Restored facade of the Sharp Building at the southeast corner of Wabash & Monroe.

View to the northeast.

View to the north of the southern face.

Restored base of the Sharp Building along the Monroe Street side.

Skygarden on the 40th floor.

Photo of a rendering of a view to the southeast.

Photo of a rendering to a view to the northeast.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote