daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: please vote...
north americans 13 37.14%
europeans 10 28.57%
asians 10 28.57%
latins 2 5.71%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 30th, 2014, 11:22 PM   #1
Highcliff
Fake democracy

Likes (Received): 5011

Discuss: Which kind of skyline do you like most?

North american ones - one cbd and the sprawling with many suburbs around
European ones - short skylines generaly, old architeture and narrow streets
Asian ones - Tall skyscrapers and supertalls, overpopulated and big
Latin ones - Less skyscrapers and supertalls than asian ones but also overpopulated and big
Highcliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 30th, 2014, 11:55 PM   #2
wino

Likes (Received): 1238

you really cannot generalize skylines into continents..

Asia alone is Super diverse..
Dubai, Shanghai, Tokyo, Bangkok, Mumbai, KL, Manila, Singapore, Seoul, Taipei.. etc...
Old October 31st, 2014, 12:02 AM   #3
wino

Likes (Received): 1238

For me, I love MULTI-CBDs... with distinct separation..

something like Midtown and Manhattan.. 2 very distinct clusters in one skyline.

Last edited by wino; October 31st, 2014 at 12:12 AM.
wino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2014, 01:02 AM   #4
KlausDiggy

Likes (Received): 8788

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highcliff View Post
North american ones - one cbd and the sprawling with many suburbs around
European ones - short skylines generaly, old architeture and narrow streets
Asian ones - Tall skyscrapers and supertalls, overpopulated and big
Latin ones - Less skyscrapers and supertalls than asian ones but also overpopulated and big
European cities are not just old. Here are traditional architecture mixed with contemporary.
KlausDiggy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2014, 01:06 AM   #5
Highcliff
Fake democracy

Likes (Received): 5011

wino and Klaus...thank you for your opinions....
Highcliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2014, 01:47 AM   #6
beaniepotato
バカ外人

Likes (Received): 173

Can you really generalize continents like this? I guess something European/East-Asian would be my ideal. I personally like incredibly dense and urban cityscapes, but full of history. If there are skyscrapers and modern architecture, I like it when they live in harmony with what's already there, and come in diverse heights and shapes.
beaniepotato no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2014, 03:12 AM   #7
MelboyPete
Proud Melbournian

Likes (Received): 197

What about Australasian skylines ? The options are a bit overlapping. Maybe should have categorised as tall/dense, tall/spread out, short/dense and so forth. Every region has a bit of each.

renshapratama, TowerVerre:), mw123 liked this post
MelboyPete no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2014, 03:24 AM   #8
ajbenius

Likes (Received): 99

I love east/southeastern Asian skylines- endless expanse of commieblocks and constant construction! They all look HUGE and constantly updating. Favorites: Hong Kong, Shenzhen, Shanghai, Chongqing, Guangzhou, and Tokyo. Singapore is great but the height restriction ruins the skyline. Southeastern Asian ones are decent, but their major phases of change are in the future. It's too early to put them off yet.

Middle eastern ones are extremely cool- movie-like futuristic (especially Dubai). But sometimes the buildings are so gaudy that they are more eyesore than viewing pleasure. And in the Middle East, only Dubai IMO has a great-great-great skyline.

Meanwhile, the Indian skylines are unimpressive. Maybe when World One and several other projects are finished, they would look better, but right now they just look gloomy.

I don't like any European ones except for Moscow. That International Business Center is just amazing.

Certain ones in South America are great in their own right- the Brazilian skylines, Caracas, etc. have great stretches of buildings, although they are rather uniform and lack height. If Mexico City had one skyline, it would look pretty nice, but it has several ones spread apart.

Australian ones and North American ones are pretty similar...
New York, Toronto, Chicago, and quite a few smaller cities stand out for their massive expanses. I like New York for its SIZE, Chicago for its numerous completed supertalls commanding massive presence, and Toronto for its numerous suburban skylines melding together to form one massive skyline.

None of the African skylines are very good, but as Africa advances that will probably change.
ajbenius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2014, 10:36 PM   #9
ilbonboo

Likes (Received): 93

Why Singapore has height restriction?

I like mostly East Asian skylines. They are BIG and really have some tall skyscrapers, also they are developing fast. Overall, I'm just really interested in this region especially Japan and Korea so it's kinda obvious I will like their skylines but my favourites are actually Chinese with those supertalls: Shanghai, HK, Shenzen, Tianjin. They really match Chinese economic ambitions.
ilbonboo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2014, 11:37 PM   #10
ajbenius

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilbonboo View Post
Why Singapore has height restriction?

I like mostly East Asian skylines. They are BIG and really have some tall skyscrapers, also they are developing fast. Overall, I'm just really interested in this region especially Japan and Korea so it's kinda obvious I will like their skylines but my favourites are actually Chinese with those supertalls: Shanghai, HK, Shenzen, Tianjin. They really match Chinese economic ambitions.
There's a height restriction in much of Singapore because of their proximity to the Paya Lebar Air Base.
ajbenius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2014, 11:57 PM   #11
BrickellResidence

Likes (Received): 6574

I dont like the options of this poll I would propose these option of skylines
1. North American style, one tall CBD surrounded by mass suburbs Ex. LA, Houston, Dallas, Frankfurt.
2. Multiple skylines, city with more than 2 tall cbds Ex. London, Mexico City, Toronto.
3. Beach Skylines, ex. Gold Coast, Miami, Balneario, Cartagena.
4. Mountain Skylines, Skylines with mountain background ex. Denver, Tokyo, Seattle.
5. Spread out skyline, skylines with skyscrapers all over the city ex. Manila, Bankok, Shanghai, Tokyo.
6. Futuristic,Ex. Dubai, Doha, Shanghai, Kuwait 7. Small/short but Elegant, Ex. Calgary, Pittsburgh, Mineapolis, Guadalajara, Vancouver. 8. Unbalanced, Very tall skyscrapers without short ones, Ex. Moscow, Santiago.
9. Historical Skylines, Ex. Budapest, Stockholm.
10. Glassy, Ex. Vancouver, London, Moscow.
11. Mix of historical and modern, Ex. Warsaw, vienna,

ilbonboo, KlausDiggy liked this post

Last edited by BrickellResidence; November 1st, 2014 at 02:48 AM.
BrickellResidence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2014, 01:56 AM   #12
Disturbing Reality
Noxious

Likes (Received): 412

none in particular.

there's a unique beauty that I like in a small, well-balanced skyline like Calgary, Canada as well as in a spread-out, expansive skyline such as Tokyo, Japan.
Old November 1st, 2014, 02:05 AM   #13
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

I like cities that have a mixture of all building styles from all eras.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2014, 11:50 PM   #14
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22572

I like the North American/European style with dense CBDs. There is a clear center point in the city, as far as skyscrapers are concerned. IMO that's much better than what is being developed in places like Shenzhen where there is a high density of unattractive buildings outside of CBDs and they're building supertalls pretty much anywhere they can in the city.
Take Seattle or Philadelphia as an example. In my opinion these:

Seattle Skyline Perspective 2 02.08.13 by JoeInSouthernCA, on Flickr

Philadelphia Skyline from Morgan Hall by TJP3991, on Flickr

are much more visually appealing than this:

IMG_2771 by Гок, on Flickr

img source

JS97 liked this post

Last edited by Hudson11; November 3rd, 2014 at 12:01 AM.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2014, 02:32 AM   #15
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Likes (Received): 4250

Asia is extremely diverse, it can't be generalized. Both Dubai and Hong Kong are skyscrapercities. But Hong Kong has tons of residential highrise which are part of its skyline, while Dubai has mostly suburban houses apart from its skyscrapers. Completely different cityscape because of city planning, city size and population density
Faisal Shourov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2014, 02:37 AM   #16
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Likes (Received): 4250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
I like the North American/European style with dense CBDs. There is a clear center point in the city, as far as skyscrapers are concerned. IMO that's much better than what is being developed in places like Shenzhen where there is a high density of unattractive buildings outside of CBDs and they're building supertalls pretty much anywhere they can in the city.
Take Seattle or Philadelphia as an example. In my opinion these:

Seattle Skyline Perspective 2 02.08.13 by JoeInSouthernCA, on Flickr

Philadelphia Skyline from Morgan Hall by TJP3991, on Flickr

are much more visually appealing than this:

IMG_2771 by Гок, on Flickr

img source
Shenzhen's population is at least 5 times bigger than Seattle/Philadelphia, it can't have afford to build tiny houses all over the city and have a CBD in the corner. The highrise residential buildings are part of the skyline because of the large population. Shenzhen is surrounded by mountains and sea, it has limited space and it's building highrise residential buildings so that the mountains are preserved. Just like Hong Kong
Faisal Shourov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2014, 08:47 AM   #17
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10815

I appreciate the varied tastes of all regions of the world, but north American skylines speak to me the most. That's to be expected as a city's built form is a product of the culture in which it exists... and I'm north American.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2014, 12:20 PM   #18
xing lin
I ♥ HK

Likes (Received): 614

I like Asian and Latin skylines, something about the endlessness and density
xing lin está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2014, 09:44 PM   #19
JS97

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faisal Shourov View Post
Shenzhen's population is at least 5 times bigger than Seattle/Philadelphia, it can't have afford to build tiny houses all over the city and have a CBD in the corner. The highrise residential buildings are part of the skyline because of the large population. Shenzhen is surrounded by mountains and sea, it has limited space and it's building highrise residential buildings so that the mountains are preserved. Just like Hong Kong
I agree with you that Shenzhen is forced to build alot of residential highrise buildings because the city is much bigger. But he was talking about which kind of skyline is more appealing to the eye. I agree with him. North American skylines are the best for me. Australia and Europe have some nice quality as well. Asian skylines have some nice skyscrapers but the entire skyline isn't as appealing.
JS97 no está en línea   Reply With Quote