daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 8th, 2005, 09:51 AM   #21
Chicago Shawn

Likes (Received): 0

I went by the Elsyian site, the 7-11 has closed and the storefront glass has been removed and boarded up. The LoCal-Locale has begun interoir demolition and the surface parking lot has closed for good. This thing is getting ready to roll.
Chicago Shawn no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2005, 02:58 PM   #22
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 882

I don't know if anyone has been to the Elysian website lately, but they've actually updated the site and it looks pretty nice.

www.elysianhotels.com

There was a time when the world moved at a more civilized pace, and luxury and service reigned supreme. At the Elysian, those days live again.

Designed by internationally acclaimed architect Lucien Lagrange, the Elysian offers an experience that is nothing short of sublime. A grand European courtyard greets your arrival. Elegantly appointed guest suites surround you in luxury. Stunning private residences are available for gracious year-round living. And, of course, the Elysian is situated in the heart of Chicago’s Gold Coast, just steps away from the exclusive boutiques of Oak Street and Michigan Avenue, as well as the city’s finest restaurants, theaters and museums.

This is the world of the Elysian…waiting to welcome you in 2007.

Lucien Lagrange Architects
The Elysian owes its classical beaux-arts facade, graceful spires, and exclusive European courtyard to the talents of internationally acclaimed architect Lucien Lagrange. Since founding his own firm in 1985, Mr. Lagrange has made a significant mark on the Chicago skyline. Lucien Lagrange Architects is particularly well known for having designed the most luxurious condominium residences in the city.

Wilson & Associates
Wilson & Associates has translated the old-world elegance of the Elysian’s facade to the building’s interior spaces. Under the direction of Trisha Wilson, Wilson & Associates is consistently ranked among the world’s top interior design firms and is responsible for creating luxurious guestrooms all over the world. With offices in Dallas, New York, Los Angeles, Johannesburg and Shanghai, Wilson & Associates incorporates a “sense of place” into each project, creating customized interior architectural details, furniture, lighting, carpets and fabrics.

The Elysian offers three exceptional dining experiences: a street-side bistro, an elegant gourmet restaurant, and a garden cafe specializing in breakfast and lunch fare. Our chic bars and lounges provide the perfect space to unwind at the end of a long day or prepare for an evening on the town.

For impromptu gatherings, few places are as warm or welcoming as the Living Room. Overlooking our grand courtyard, it features plush seating and a grand fireplace. And for a more lively atmosphere, we offer the Elysian Bar with an array of spirits and appetizers served in the ambience of a private club.

The ideal place to greet the day or see it to a close, the Bistro serves light, but satisfying fare for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Arrive early for a cappuccino with your morning paper, or enjoy a glass of wine in the afternoon as you watch the shoppers stroll along Walton Street. The Bistro’s warm, casual surroundings make it an inviting spot all day long.

Also known as Salon Luna, our private screening room features relaxed seating complemented by hors d’oeuvre and beverage service. Gather with friends before or after dinner for a first-run film or treasured favorite.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2005, 03:07 PM   #23
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician
Bahrain Daily News?

Holy shit, Butler, you just upped the ante!
Actually, someone else found the link, I just decided to post the article, so the credit does not go to me. But I did find this press release on the Elysian website.

ELYSIAN HOTEL & RESIDENCES BEGINS
GOLD COAST SITE PREPARATIONS

60-Story Ultra Luxury Property Anticipates 2007 Opening

CHICAGO, June 7, 2005 – Elysian Worldwide Chicago announced today demolition and site preparation plans for the Elysian Hotel and Private Residences, a 60-story ultra-luxury hotel and condominium building at Eleven East Walton Street, between State and Rush streets.

“Our goal of creating a one-of-a-kind, world-class hotel and residential retreat reminiscent of the finest hotels of Europe is well on its way,” stated David C. Pisor, president and chief executive officer of Elysian Worldwide Chicago, LLC.

Elysian also announced that Arcapita Inc., a leading private equity firm based in Atlanta, Georgia, is the majority equity partner on the project. “This project presented an attractive investment opportunity for us,” said C. MacLaine Kenan, a director of Arcapita. “We think the Elysian has a tremendous future and are delighted to be the key financial partner. We look forward to our association with the entire Elysian team.”

Golub & Company, a Chicago-based international real estate development and investment company, will lend their formidable expertise to the overall development process, including construction and related activities, as project manager. Founded more than forty years ago, Golub & Company and its affiliates have offices in the United States, United Kingdom, central and eastern Europe and Russia. “The Elysian will be a striking addition to Chicago’s cityscape,” said Michael Newman, president and chief executive officer of Golub & Company. “We are pleased to be involved in the development of this future Chicago landmark.”

Internationally acclaimed architect Lucien Lagrange, who has spared neither technical nor aesthetic element in his design, is the architectural genius behind the Elysian. Since 1985, Lucien Lagrange Architects has made a significant mark on the Chicago skyline, having designed some of the luxurious condominium residences in the city. The Elysian’s facade will be of the classic beaux-arts style, and incorporate graceful spires, majestic profiles and a European auto courtyard with fountains and lush landscaping.
The Elysian, located in the heart of Chicago’s Gold Coast, will embody the look and feel of an exquisite urban estate. The structure will consist of the hotel, featuring 183 fully-furnished guest suites, and 53 private residences, with a maximum of two per floor, offering sweeping views of the city and lakefront. All suites and residences are available for private ownership with studio suites available from $460,000, one-bedroom suites from $640,000 and residences from $2 million. Elegant restaurants, boutiques, an 18,000 square foot spa and health club, indoor pool, private screening room and salons complete the project.

“Sales thus far have exceeded our own expectations,” added Pisor. “We set out to redefine the luxury hotel experience in Chicago and the response to our project confirms there is a strong demand for this sophisticated style of urban living.” Over 65% of the private residences, ranging from 3,200 to over 10,000 square feet, and more than 50% of the guest suites, averaging 900 square feet in size, are under contract. Buyers include everyone from empty nesters looking to replicate the grand elegance of their family residence to those seeking the ultimate in-town retreat with the opportunity to place their suite in the Elysian rental program.

The Elysian Hotel and Private Residences in Chicago will be the flagship property of Elysian Hotels & Resorts. Additional sites in the United States and Europe are currently under consideration.
Old July 8th, 2005, 03:27 PM   #24
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

For those who don't know the buildings location.

Old July 8th, 2005, 04:09 PM   #25
ChicagoLover

ooooooooooh wow... sophisticated... that bloody website crashed my computer!
ChicagoLover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2005, 08:09 PM   #26
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

I worship this development
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2005, 09:25 PM   #27
ChicagoLover

^ OK why exactly do you worship it? For this sort of design, "its all in the details", and its just hard to know whether those details will live up to the hype. If the details are anything like 65 East Goethe, then I'm down with this development. But how can we know for sure? I doubt we'll *really* know until the thing is three-quarters finished, or unless BVictor scoops it big time.

Remember there are few things more well-used in the developer's toolbox than the bait-and-switch. I think of it as the high-end version of the pictures in the menus of chain restaurants. Those meals always look 5 times better than what you actually get.

I think one of the best (worst) examples of this is the Hilton on the 500 block of North State. The overall detailing is Prairie Style. The building had the potential to look really sharp. But that money grubber John Buck never finished it--its just just painted concrete. If they had really detailed that Hilton, it would be a solid addition to the cityscape.. Instead... more beige blah.

Last edited by ChicagoLover; July 8th, 2005 at 09:32 PM.
Old July 8th, 2005, 11:08 PM   #28
ChicagoLover

These guys are really ambitious; I'll give them that. They're building their 'flagship' before the others are even built yet. That's rather humourous. Its surprising to me that Chicago can support all of this really high-end housing. I don't know how this is happening. I hope it means that fewer North Shore residents are retiring to Florida and the Southwest.
Old July 8th, 2005, 11:54 PM   #29
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

I hope they do this building justice and not just be greedy builders. The building is so beautiful but if they get all cheap with the materials and design/details it's gonna suck, BADLY. But if they make it look as nice or even better than it does on paper, it'll be a solid addition to Chicago and a prestigious address.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2005, 02:11 AM   #30
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoLover
Its surprising to me that Chicago can support all of this really high-end housing. I don't know how this is happening.
^????

How is that surprising to you? There are so many gluttenously rich cats in this town that it's ridiculous. Don't let the whole blue collar thing deceive you. Chicago is built on money--and that's what the city has been about since the day DuSable built his cottage on the Chicago River. Hell, even coming to visit from Washington DC I get shocked with the displays of wealth--limos and high end shops everywhere.

Regarding your earlier comment about the quality of this development--I couldn't agree more. If they cheap out on the details, it could be another River North concrete flop. But if they actually build this to the standards that they promise, it will be gorgeous, and then my previous statement will hold true. Lets just hope...
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2005, 06:59 PM   #31
JB_Gold Coast

Anyone can say what they want about the design of the Elysian. It seems like some people love it, some are skeptical.

The bottom line, coming from someone who lives in the area: Replacing a 7-11 and a surface parking lot with ANY development (I don't care if it would have been Maple Tower 2) is a positive.

I have strong hopes for the Elysian, but as I have seen with previous developments, you really don't know what you are getting until it is a finished product.
JB_Gold Coast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2005, 06:40 PM   #32
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

Oooh... JB, you should go wash your hands after pulling the words out of my mouth like that. I could honestly care less how pretty the building is, the fact of the matter is that they'll be replacing a shit-ass stretch on one of our most important thoroughfares. If it happens to be a gorgeous building, that's just a bonus in my eyes.
geoff_diamond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2005, 11:02 PM   #33
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

In other news, I went over to the Elysian sales center Thursday, and I got a chance to take a quick look at and elevation of the building that was on the wall. Unfortunately this tower will not break the 700' mark... To the top of the spire, the tower measured from the elevation that I saw, to a height of 673' 7"

I am going to see if I can make an appointment to speak with the project manager to get more information on this one, so stay tuned.....
Old July 17th, 2005, 01:59 AM   #34
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Damn....oh well. Still a good project.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2005, 09:17 AM   #35
Chris84

that sucks i really like the design of this building. I think it would look great if it was 800f-900f.
Chris84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2005, 01:52 PM   #36
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

Does anyone else see this building as some sort of watershed event? Can you imagine in the past any such high profile, tradtional (almost genteel) structure being built right in was once one of the most sin-filled stretches of Rush Street? I think Rush is coming of age, and a far different Rush than it used to be. My hope: the street NEVER loses its low rise streetscape. That wold be a crime.
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2005, 06:07 AM   #37
richardsonhomebuyers

Likes (Received): 1

I beleive we are doing the printing for this building. I'll see if I can find out just how high it is going to be.
richardsonhomebuyers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2005, 04:11 PM   #38
LA1

Likes (Received): 9

Rush street has a lowrise streetscape? Do you mean north of Oak, until Division? South of Delaware is pretty damn dense.
LA1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2005, 10:26 PM   #39
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

I have a meeting with the project manager of the Elysian this wednesday, so if anyone has any questions that they'd like me to ask post them here.
Old July 25th, 2005, 10:54 PM   #40
chicagogeorge

Likes (Received): 893

^
OK, when are they going to begin construction, and when is the estimated date of completion (where these questions answered already?). I really like the rendering of this building. I'm anxious to see it built.

for the Pelasgians, too, were a Greek nation originally from the Peloponnesus
The Roman Antiquities of Dionysius of Halicarnassus
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...assus/1B*.html

Macedonia, of course, is a part of Greece". Strabo, VII, Frg. 9
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...ragments*.html

But north of the gulf, the first inhabitants are Greeks called Epirotes....
Procopius
http://books.google.com/books?id=9m6...page&q&f=false
chicagogeorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote