daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 7th, 2006, 03:02 AM   #121
richardsonhomebuyers

Likes (Received): 1

5-6-06

richardsonhomebuyers no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 7th, 2006, 09:11 PM   #122
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 881

http://w16.cityofchicago.org/permit/...sOverview.html

Application Status

11 E WALTON ST

Description: ERECT AND INSTALL PERIMETER FOUNDATION WALLS, CAISSONS, SLURRY WALLS AND EARTH RETENTION FOR A NEW 60 STORY HOTEL AND PRIVATE RESIDENT HI-RISE BUILDING WITH FOUR BASEMENTS. BUILDING TO HAVE 51 CONDOS AND 188 HOTEL ROOMS.

Total Records: 8

Discipline
Status

ARCHITECTURAL REVIEW
APPROVED

CIVIL ENGINEERING REVIEW
APPROVED

ELECTRICAL REVIEW
APPROVED

FIRE PREVENTION REVIEW
APPROVED

MAYOR'S OFFICE/PEOPLE W/DISAB
APPROVED

STRUCTURAL PEER REPORT REVIEW
APPROVED

STRUCTURAL REVIEW
WAIVED

ZONING REVIEW
INCOMPLETE

The owners of this address received a permit on
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2006, 05:00 AM   #123
danthediscoman

Im concerned about this one. I emailed sales center twice last week and no response...
danthediscoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2006, 07:19 AM   #124
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by danthediscoman
Im concerned about this one. I emailed sales center twice last week and no response...
i would think that they would have sufficent financing at this point; why would this one go bell up?
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 08:23 PM   #125
forumly_chgoman
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Yeah this has been sitting for awhile....anyone have any info????
forumly_chgoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 04:16 AM   #126
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by danthediscoman
Do you know what's even better than emailing the sales center? Calling them... Which is exactly what I did today. I was told that they intend on beginning work in the site around July 15th. Whether this hapens or not, we shall see. There are no settlement marks around the site as of this afternoon. I'm sure that there's someone on the forum that passes the site often, and will let us know if there is any activity.
Old June 29th, 2006, 04:18 AM   #127
richardsonhomebuyers

We just started doing somemore printing for this. I was told we will be getting more orders for drawings because there will be lenders, insurance, ect... people needed to see them. Thats all I got. Wish I knew more.
Old June 29th, 2006, 04:20 AM   #128
chicagogeorge

Likes (Received): 893

Damn, I hope this project is still moving forward. I have to admit that the Elysian's design imo, is better than almost any other project under construction, proposed, or approved.

for the Pelasgians, too, were a Greek nation originally from the Peloponnesus
The Roman Antiquities of Dionysius of Halicarnassus
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...assus/1B*.html

Macedonia, of course, is a part of Greece". Strabo, VII, Frg. 9
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...ragments*.html

But north of the gulf, the first inhabitants are Greeks called Epirotes....
Procopius
http://books.google.com/books?id=9m6...page&q&f=false
chicagogeorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2006, 06:23 PM   #129
spiderbaby

Likes (Received): 0

No progress yet

Hello,
I live in Newberry Plaza which is just north of the site for the Elysian. I live on the 48th floor and look south so I have a good view of the pit...so as of July 23 there is still no activity.

In other developements, the lot directly west of the Elysian where the Scottish Rite Cathedral sits has tentatively has been sold, the developers are planning 2 37 story tower with a total of approx 500 units.

IF both of these guys get built the traffic and parking will be disastrous...hey but the skyline will look great!

At any rate if/when there is activity on the Elysian I can post pics now and then.

Gretchen
spiderbaby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2006, 06:47 PM   #130
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge
Damn, I hope this project is still moving forward. I have to admit that the Elysian's design imo, is better than almost any other project under construction, proposed, or approved.
^ That's surprising. You consider a beige pre-cast concrete tower a better design than say Aqua, Fordham Spire, or the Legacy?

Oh, and welcome to the forums Spider baby, or Gretchen.

Thanks for the update. I don't know who bought units at the Elysian but I would be cursing that developer right about now, especially if I was old (will I still be alive when this damn thing finally gets built?)
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2006, 03:43 AM   #131
NearNorthGuy

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician
^ That's surprising. You consider a beige pre-cast concrete tower a better design than say Aqua, Fordham Spire, or the Legacy?
Regarding the Elysian, I happen to like it also. I like a mix of new and retro styles, and I like the peaked roof of the Elysian, along with its towering, slim profile. I would have to agree, though that the Fordham Spire, i.e., now the Kelleher project, and Aquare are more striking.

Regarding the Scottish Rite site, to me the 37 story towers are a disappointment. Alderman Natarus clearly has allowed NIMBYs to shrink the potential height of tower or towers on this site. This is another example of where a citizens group could serve as a counterbalance to the anti-height crowd.

Maybe the current Scottish Rite proposal will fall through and we can have a shot at a taller building there in some future year. One can hope.
NearNorthGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2006, 04:42 AM   #132
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; June 20th, 2010 at 05:12 AM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2006, 09:40 AM   #133
forumly_chgoman
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

What is the scottish rite proposal....is it on the place of 4th Presbyterian????I am not familiar with this some info if anyone has it?
forumly_chgoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2006, 04:30 AM   #134
spiderbaby

scottish rite

Here is a link to a earlier story.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...9/ai_n16417322

There is also an article in the new issue of skyline. It is not a done deal yet. I am okay with the two 37 story towers and I like the design, but really, this neighborhood is SO crowded.
Old July 25th, 2006, 05:12 AM   #135
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderbaby
I am okay with the two 37 story towers and I like the design, but really, this neighborhood is SO crowded.
^ I'm not sure what this means. If downtown Chicago isn't crowded, then what neighborhood will be?

Downtown Chicago is destined for a large amount of density. It is not meant to be quaint and quiet. People living there who feel otherwise are probably deluding themselves.

And the whole traffic issue--I find it peculiar that anyone living downtown would expect anything but tons of traffic. That's what happens when you concentrate an enormous quanitity of offices, cultural institutions, shopping, and people. People shouldn't be driving much anyhow.

Anyway, spiderbaby, you're going to encounter a lot of people on this forum who don't sympathize with the whole congestion/traffic complaint from people living downtown. Consider yourself warned
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2006, 06:25 AM   #136
richardsonhomebuyers

Have to agree with TUP here. Cities are meant to be crowded. If you want space then I do beleive that is what the suburbs are for. I say bring on the crowds. Wouldn't want it any other way.
Old July 25th, 2006, 07:02 AM   #137
chicagogeorge

Likes (Received): 893

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician

Oh, and welcome to the forums Spider baby, or Gretchen.

Thanks for the update. I don't know who bought units at the Elysian but I would be cursing that developer right about now, especially if I was old (will I still be alive when this damn thing finally gets built?)

Don't get me wrong, I love the Trump, Aqua, Fordham and the Waterview. I just have this thing with vintage looking skyscrapers.

for the Pelasgians, too, were a Greek nation originally from the Peloponnesus
The Roman Antiquities of Dionysius of Halicarnassus
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...assus/1B*.html

Macedonia, of course, is a part of Greece". Strabo, VII, Frg. 9
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...ragments*.html

But north of the gulf, the first inhabitants are Greeks called Epirotes....
Procopius
http://books.google.com/books?id=9m6...page&q&f=false
chicagogeorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2006, 09:32 PM   #138
spiderbaby

i am not a nimby!

Don't misunderstand me when I say it is so crowded, I am not a Nimby. We moved into this neighborhood a year ago, we knew the Elysian was being built and had a suspicion that the Scottish Rite lot would someday house some towers. We moved to this neighborhood BECAUSE of the activity. But what I love about Chicago is it's livability as compared to say, NYC or Hong Kong. Three years ago we chose to move to Chicago over NYC...because we could get more bang for the buck relating to housing, because of the lake and parks, because it didn't always feel like you were in a canyon while walking down the streets. Besides all that, the newest reports are that condo sales downtown are slowing, many of the newer construction are speculators. Are you concerned about a glut?

Just my 2 cents.

That being said, I am excited for these projects to start. There is no published design (as far as I have seen) for the Scottish Rite site but the description is modern glass and steel, 2 curved towers. I prefer these types over the Elysian 'vintage' look.
Old August 5th, 2006, 01:20 AM   #139
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

There's some new information on the Elysian. Also, some information not posted in the article is the fact that McHugh will be working on this building.

Here is a link to the article:
http://www.newcityskyline.com/ElysianResumesWork.html
Old August 9th, 2006, 07:38 PM   #140
Frumie

Here's a bit more news:
Source

Aug. 09, 2006
By Alby Gallun

Subscribe to an RSS feed on this topic

Developer of Elysian Hotel nears deal on construction loan
The developer of the Elysian Hotel & Private Residences in the Gold Coast is close to landing a $203 million construction loan from a German lender after an earlier loan fell through.

Hypo Real Estate Capital Corp., a subsidiary of Munich-based Hypo Real Estate Group, has agreed to provide the loan, which is expected to close in September, a source says. The 60-story project last summer received a commitment for about $60 million in equity financing from Arcapita Inc., the U.S. subsidiary of a Bahrain bank.

Yet the development at 11 E. Walton St. is several months behind schedule, fueling speculation that it was having trouble securing financing. Chicago-based LaSalle Bank Corp. had tentatively agreed to be the lead lender on the project last year, but that deal fizzled.

Financing, however, was never a problem, says David C. Pisor, president and CEO of Elysian Worldwide LLC, the project's developer. It simply has taken much longer than expected to get a foundation permit for the building, he says.

Advertisement

Related Article Topics | Related Industry News
The project includes four stories of underground parking, adding to the project's complexity and contributing to the delay, he says.

Mr. Pisor declines to confirm the Hypo loan but says that buyers have signed contracts for about 125, or 66%, of its 188 hotel suites and 35 of the 51 condo units.

Unlike a traditional hotel, which is owned by a single investor, the Elysian is a condo-hotel, in which hotel units are sold to individual investors much like regular residential condos. Owners can use the suites when they please or let the hotel operator rent the units when they are away.