daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 13th, 2016, 09:54 AM   #201
kocatas.halil

Likes (Received): 20

Look's incredible.
kocatas.halil no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 18th, 2016, 07:34 PM   #202
MontanaGuy

Likes (Received): 49

I'm sorry but I think this design looks like a handicapped skyscraper on crutches that would keel over without them! Chicago has such an impressive skyline and I was very disappointed that the Chicago Spire was never built. Despite all of the comments about it looking like a giant drill bit I thought it was a bold and futuristic design. I'm glad to read that this particular design is still open to changes and I sure hope that if it ever is actually built that the new tallest building in America will have a design worthy of such a structure.

KlausDiggy liked this post
MontanaGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2016, 04:44 PM   #203
MontanaGuy

Likes (Received): 49

I'd like to add something to my previous comment after thinking about it. In this day and age of terrorism law enforcement has seen potential terrorists in major cities like New York casing out buildings for potential weaknesses in security or anything else they might take advantage of. I mentioned previously that I thought the base of the building with its struts resembled crutches. That got me to thinking that if this building were ever constructed as it appears in the renders that if both or even one of those supports were ever compromised it would certainly cause a catastrophic failure no matter how much the main foundation of the building was beefed up. So essentially part of the foundation of the building would be above ground and exposed to potential sabotage that could destroy it. I haven't heard this mentioned as an issue so far but if construction began it would certainly become one and there would be a necessity to have some serious security on those struts. I can't think of any major building in the world that would be as vulnerable as this one for obvious reasons. So putting aside all questions about the like or dislike of the design and simply looking at the practical realities of the safety and potential risk of the design I think a strong case can be made that it would become a target for anyone who is looking for a spectacular terrorist event. It's certainly something to consider.

andrei_kob, Oatmeal, spidey7312 liked this post
MontanaGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2016, 08:46 PM   #204
munchymunch
Minneapolis==>Chicago

Likes (Received): 1165

Don't think the building would be souly independent on the crutches, it's more of a money maker. Also it would be incredibly hard to get that much explosives down there it would basically require you to ram a van off lsd and hope that it is still functional to drive to the legs. Doesn't seem practical.

Terrorist don't even go for spectacular attacks these days. Sadly any idiot with an automatic rifle can do a lot of damage these days, they wouldn't bother with a security intensive area like this.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
munchymunch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2016, 12:40 PM   #205
segzy

Likes (Received): 4

cant see the images
Old September 9th, 2016, 09:15 PM   #206
munchymunch
Minneapolis==>Chicago

Likes (Received): 1165

Related Midwest reportedly makes plans to develop Chicago Spire site
By MATTHEW MESSNER (@MESSNERMATTHEW) • September 7, 2016

Quote:
Chicago development powerhouse Related Midwest has hired former SOM architect Michael Pfeffer to head the development of the failed Santiago Calatrava Spire site, as reported by Crain’s Chicago. As vice president of architecture, Pfeffer will also lead the development of an epic 62-acre vacant site along the Chicago River in the city’s South Loop.

Originally proposed in 2005, the Chicago Spire was set to be the tallest building in the western hemisphere. The 150-story, 2,000-foot-tall residential tower was to rise over Lake Shore Drive and the Chicago River, near Navy Pier. The initial design was unanimously approved by the Chicago Planning Commission and construction was started in June 2007. Early financial problems and the 2008 financial crisis proved insurmountable for the project, which stopped construction by the end of 2008. As the failed project’s largest creditor, Related Midwest was given ownership of the property in 2014.

The site has laid vacant since 2008, leaving a circular foundation hole as the only evidence of the once highly anticipated tower. For the 2010 Chicago Prize Competition entitled MIND THE GAP, hosted by the Chicago Architecture Club, architects were asked to imagine novel uses for the 76-foot deep hole. Since then other architects have speculatively engaged with the site with proposals ranging from more twisting towers to giant urban swimming pools. The announcement of Pfeffer’s new role at Related is the first concrete indication that something might be happening at the site soon. According to Crain’s, designs for the Spire site and the 62-acre South Loop site could be released in 2017.
link
Old September 9th, 2016, 10:10 PM   #207
The Quiet Storm
I ❤ Skyscrapers!

Likes (Received): 26

Breathtaking tbh.

ON iTUNES NOW
The Quiet Storm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2016, 11:24 PM   #208
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6522

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchymunch View Post
Related Midwest reportedly makes plans to develop Chicago Spire site
By MATTHEW MESSNER (@MESSNERMATTHEW) • September 7, 2016

link
everything below 400m would be a shame.
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2016, 12:12 AM   #209
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31669

The site (former Chicago Spire) deserves nothing less than 600 meters.
Old September 16th, 2016, 06:16 PM   #210
Runninlikehell
Watchin' da Buildings!.

Likes (Received): 890

This is a wonderful project! I love the design!
Old September 16th, 2016, 07:19 PM   #211
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanPaulo View Post
The site (former Chicago Spire) deserves nothing less than 600 meters.
It does but that doesn't mean it will happen, and it is extremely unlikely to. We'd be really lucky to get something in the 400 meter range here, not saying that will happen either but at least it's far more feasible.

ZZ-II liked this post
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2016, 08:03 PM   #212
rayvs99
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1140

Related?? what a joke.. good example is the replacement of that ugly tower from the unfinished waterview tower. Waterview tower also failed due bad economy.
rayvs99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2016, 08:09 PM   #213
Rey73

Likes (Received): 114

Well, I think that a tower like to 7 South Dearborn is far more feasible than a 150 story tower.

Old September 16th, 2016, 10:17 PM   #214
MKE-MSP-CHI

Likes (Received): 3017

Personally, I think this gets built. The national economy is (relatively strong) and there is an enormous amount of momentum in the Loop right now. Chicago actually set a record this year for high rise crane permits, and there are 45 20+ story developments either recently completed, under construction, or just about to start. Not to mention, the Wanda Vista is going to start soon and that's 1,000+ feet. Chicago's downtown is continuing to capture a huge amount of residents, retail, commercial office, hotel, and convention space.

I work in the Loop, so I see it every day. The amount of TOD is incredible, especially on the Near North, just over the river - where this would be built. Lakeshore East as a neighborhood didn't exist 15 years ago, but is now a forest of high rises. People forget that the skyscraper was practically born here and the Sears (I refuse to call it Willis) was the tallest in the world for a quarter century. I would love to see the US recapture some of its luster with something over the 2,000 ft mark. Not dismissing any other city, but our skyscrapers are grounded in reality, fed by demand not vanity projects of governments. Getting this build would mean a lot.

Alex The Chicagoan liked this post
MKE-MSP-CHI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2016, 11:02 PM   #215
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31669

This aerial shows the site pretty well (see site with hole and empty lot next to it across from the highway)

Moment, 545 N McClurg Ct by YoChicago, on Flickr
Old September 16th, 2016, 11:46 PM   #216
Tommy Boy
MEGATALLS for AMERICA

Likes (Received): 112

Is the Chicago Spire Project totally dead or is their an minimal possibility that the Spire Project can come back to Life with the right Investors? One more thing is this Gateway Tower just a Fantasy/Vision or is this a Project that one day can come to reality. Thanks

http://www.twintowersalliance.com/images/Golden_Towers.png

Tupac96, Alex The Chicagoan liked this post
Tommy Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2016, 04:26 PM   #217
robertsieg

Likes (Received): 385

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKE-MSP-CHI View Post
Personally, I think this gets built. The national economy is (relatively strong) and there is an enormous amount of momentum in the Loop right now. Chicago actually set a record this year for high rise crane permits, and there are 45 20+ story developments either recently completed, under construction, or just about to start. Not to mention, the Wanda Vista is going to start soon and that's 1,000+ feet. Chicago's downtown is continuing to capture a huge amount of residents, retail, commercial office, hotel, and convention space.

I work in the Loop, so I see it every day. The amount of TOD is incredible, especially on the Near North, just over the river - where this would be built. Lakeshore East as a neighborhood didn't exist 15 years ago, but is now a forest of high rises. People forget that the skyscraper was practically born here and the Sears (I refuse to call it Willis) was the tallest in the world for a quarter century. I would love to see the US recapture some of its luster with something over the 2,000 ft mark. Not dismissing any other city, but our skyscrapers are grounded in reality, fed by demand not vanity projects of governments. Getting this build would mean a lot.
I like your optimism! We need more of it around here!

Oatmeal, Alex The Chicagoan liked this post
robertsieg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2016, 12:41 AM   #218
Spocket

Likes (Received): 91

Would somebody please change the title of this thread. It's NOT A PROPOSAL ! There's a site and the company that owns it is thinking about doing something with the site. That's it. Nothing else. No proposal, no plan, no nothing. There's no megatall, supertall, or McDonalds being proposed for the site.

Focalor, charmedone liked this post
Spocket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2016, 05:46 PM   #219
INFERNAL ELF

Location: Trondheim Trying to reach Someplace with Skyscrapers
Likes (Received): 159

600m Mc Donalds restaurant now that would be something

My flickr photo stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/infernal_elf/

Alex The Chicagoan liked this post
INFERNAL ELF no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2016, 07:54 PM   #220
AP Design
BANNED

Likes (Received): 498

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post

Quote:
The developers picked five local architecture firms (SPACE Architects + Planners, VOA, Solomon Cordwell Buenz, UrbanLab, and CLUAA) and one landscape firm (Hoerr Schaudt) and posed the question: “what would you put in a 76-foot (23-meter) deep hole?”

Each studio came up with diverse and creative solutions to make a failed dream into a productive architectural site for the community.

The only project that would actually use the existing foundation to build upwards is the “Chicago Beacon” by Solomon Cordwell Buenz.
That's how the outcome of a poor formulation can be.
AP Design no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
400 n. lakeshore dr., chicago, related midwest, spire site, streeterville