daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 6th, 2017, 02:45 AM   #261
AP Design
BANNED

Likes (Received): 498

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architecture lover View Post
...everything tall becomes iconic.
Even a concept of a falling tree and a caring gardener trying to prop it up with some wooden planks? That's a fairly wrong brainchild to become iconic.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, anna_suriya liked this post
AP Design no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2017, 10:33 PM   #262
Amecurty

Likes (Received): 241

I know this probably isn't the best place to ask this.. but can someone please explain me or give me a possible theory as to why Chicago is getting proposals like this one, Chicago Spire, Old Chicago Main Post Office redevelop or Thompson Center Redevelopment, all exceeding 500m even though most of them were cancelled, instead of New York?

I mean, New York is having a construction boom with a lot of supertalls but the height never gets past 500m, and I have never seen a proposal for NY, in recent years, around those figures, except Central Park tower which is close but still lower.
It's like Chicago just went after the big fish, skipping the 400m.. but sadly most of them are not getting a green light.
Wouldn't it make sense too that NY had a >500m proposal already?

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Amecurty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2017, 11:58 PM   #263
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

NYC had such proposals already
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2017, 04:08 AM   #264
A Chicagoan
I Love Chicago!

Likes (Received): 1592

I think the building looks a bit out of place in the skyline . . . but it's worth it if it's going to reclaim the title of tallest building in North America! (It is supposed to be the tallest in N.A., right?)
Old February 12th, 2017, 09:07 AM   #265
rlw777

Likes (Received): 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amecurty View Post
I know this probably isn't the best place to ask this.. but can someone please explain me or give me a possible theory as to why Chicago is getting proposals like this one, Chicago Spire, Old Chicago Main Post Office redevelop or Thompson Center Redevelopment, all exceeding 500m even though most of them were cancelled, instead of New York?

I mean, New York is having a construction boom with a lot of supertalls but the height never gets past 500m, and I have never seen a proposal for NY, in recent years, around those figures, except Central Park tower which is close but still lower.
It's like Chicago just went after the big fish, skipping the 400m.. but sadly most of them are not getting a green light.
First of all this isn't a real proposal it's a design exercise done by Gensler. Architecture firms do these design exercises to get media attention and try to get their name in the hat for when the owner / developer of a site is looking for an architect.

As far as New York not getting proposals for > 500m buildings it has to do with zoning. Chicago puts no limit on the height of proposals in certain areas where New York zoning has something called the "sky exposure plane" which building designs are generally supposed to adhere to. The "sky exposure plane" goes straight up from the sidewalk to about 75 ft and then angles in toward the center of the block. This is why pretty much every recent supertall in NYC tops out in the center of the block where the sky exposure plane of one side of the block meets the other and why there are so many buildings in NYC with lots of setbacks.
Old February 12th, 2017, 10:09 AM   #266
pakil.34
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick852 View Post
Chicago needs a new signature tower to give the city new life. I like the current towers but they are really getting old.
I think same, chicago not change alot in last 25years, if you watch old tv shows like ''Perfect Strangers'' , ''Family Matters'' they look same today

pakil.34 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2017, 02:26 PM   #267
Architecture lover

Likes (Received): 1284

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP Design View Post
Even a concept of a falling tree and a caring gardener trying to prop it up with some wooden planks? That's a fairly wrong brainchild to become iconic.
It's called perception and it varies for every single person. But I shouldn't explain such things to people who can not understand the values of individualism.

Architecture lover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2017, 03:30 PM   #268
rayvs99
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1140

The taller the better. the city needs it. Its lagging when it comes to this department. AND I don't give a flying FVCK if you think this is a big P E N I S competition.. kiss my big booty fat WAND A S S butt.
Old February 17th, 2017, 09:37 PM   #269
fptr

Likes (Received): 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayvs99 View Post
The taller the better. the city needs it. Its lagging when it comes to this department. AND I don't give a flying FVCK if you think this is a big P E N I S competition.. kiss my big booty fat WAND A S S butt.
Well, that's the best argument I've seen so far
Old February 17th, 2017, 09:48 PM   #270
World 2 World
The World @ My Fingertips

Likes (Received): 4296

Luv it

World 2 World no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2017, 12:56 AM   #271
Luke09

Likes (Received): 15

I used to live in Chicago that neighborhood. The area is actually relatively quiet compared to other areas downtown, so the neighborhood (Streeterville) could easily handle the additional foot traffic. Hope it gets built, but the sheer size does pull your eye away from all of the other beautiful buildings.
Old February 28th, 2017, 02:49 PM   #272
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
First of all this isn't a real proposal it's a design exercise done by Gensler. Architecture firms do these design exercises to get media attention and try to get their name in the hat for when the owner / developer of a site is looking for an architect.

As far as New York not getting proposals for > 500m buildings it has to do with zoning. Chicago puts no limit on the height of proposals in certain areas where New York zoning has something called the "sky exposure plane" which building designs are generally supposed to adhere to. The "sky exposure plane" goes straight up from the sidewalk to about 75 ft and then angles in toward the center of the block. This is why pretty much every recent supertall in NYC tops out in the center of the block where the sky exposure plane of one side of the block meets the other and why there are so many buildings in NYC with lots of setbacks.
Also because NYC is boring and expensive which precludes any kind of architectural risk.
Old February 28th, 2017, 05:08 PM   #273
DUBAI10000

Likes (Received): 436

The reason why New York City has recieved so many supertalls and skyscrapers in the past few years is simply becasue of the absurd rental and condo prices, as soon as prices drop, so do skyscraper construction, same applies to office space. Chicago prices aren't nearly as high as New York. I'm surprised that San Francisco doesn't have more growth.

DUBAI10000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2017, 06:01 AM   #274
generalscarr

Likes (Received): 425

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug View Post
Also because NYC is boring and expensive which precludes any kind of architectural risk.

New York as a 'boring' city. Some amazingly valuable information coming from you.
generalscarr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2017, 03:25 PM   #275
AP Design
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amecurty View Post

1. NYC has nothing to prove, compared to the Asian and Middle-Easttern cities;
2. The heights of above 500m are highly impractical, so if you don't have to show off, you're free to focus on what's really important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architecture lover View Post
...I shouldn't explain such things to people who can not understand the values of individualism.
It's only because you cannot explain the architectural concept where it is simply absent.
AP Design no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2017, 10:52 PM   #276
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalscarr View Post
New York as a 'boring' city. Some amazingly valuable information coming from you.
If gentrification was a place, it would be manhattan island.

anna_suriya liked this post
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2017, 12:27 AM   #277
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31709

Old April 7th, 2017, 09:38 PM   #278
Aryaved

Likes (Received): 1514

Why does this remind me of the Shanghai Tower so much

Anyways, would be a great addition for Chicago. Easily the 4th best city in the country

राजा के लिए प्रजा-प्रजा में कोई भेद नहीं हो सकता- Former Indian PM Atal Bihari Vajpayee

Alex The Chicagoan liked this post
Aryaved no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2017, 09:57 PM   #279
ChiCityAtty11

Likes (Received): 465

Surely you jest.................. :-)

msquaredb liked this post
ChiCityAtty11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2017, 10:07 PM   #280
AP Design
BANNED