daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 4th, 2014, 11:38 PM   #21
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 96

I don't disagree with you, but a second foundation will be needed and the views that generate the big $$ will be half as high (or less)
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 4th, 2014, 11:41 PM   #22
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapernab2 View Post
I don't disagree with you, but a second foundation will be needed and the views that generate the big $$ will be half as high (or less)
All good reasons for a single tower to begin with but that's not what we have to work with thus far...
Old November 5th, 2014, 12:15 AM   #23
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Related Drops Hint Regarding 'Architecturally Significant' Chicago Spire Replacement

Quote:
[...]

At this time, it is still uncertain what Related may have planned for the site, but according to a statement from the developer, it sounds like Related knows that there will be a lot of voices calling for a tall, architecturally significant tower to fill in the hole in the ground that was dug out years ago for Santiago Calatrava's spiraling supertall.

In a written statement, Related Midwest's President Curt Bailey has indicate that:

We are pleased to have resolution on 400 N. Lake Shore Drive, the site of the former Chicago Spire project. We recognize the importance of this site to the City of Chicago and look forward to creating an architecturally significant and thoughtful development befitting this premier location. We are proud to have a long track-record of developing landmark buildings with world-class architects like 840 N. Lake Shore Drive, 500 N. Lake Shore Drive, Park Tower, 340 on the Park and most recently, 111 W. Wacker Drive. We look forward to continuing that legacy on this marquee site.

[...]
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2014, 12:21 AM   #24
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

Likes (Received): 2102

Does that mean tall? Does it mean more of the same? Doesn't give me any hints...
Buffaboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2014, 12:28 AM   #25
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaboy View Post
Does that mean tall? Does it mean more of the same? Doesn't give me any hints...
Hint hint...

Quote:
We recognize the importance of this site to the City of Chicago and look forward to creating an architecturally significant and thoughtful development befitting this premier location.
It won't be just another 500 ft. box...
Old November 5th, 2014, 04:02 AM   #26
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

They said "architecturally significant." Which does not imply that it will be tall but who knows.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2014, 01:57 PM   #27
(:

Likes (Received): 229

Found another render! It's from the federation towers thread, http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=320686

Kleist D liked this post
(: no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2014, 08:22 PM   #28
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28147

Looks like a more realistic, more down to earth project, allthough I would have preferred to see the spire being built.
I wonder if that hole is not in the way of the foundations for the 2 towers, it seems to be in between.

Alex The Chicagoan liked this post
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2014, 11:29 PM   #29
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
They said "architecturally significant." Which does not imply that it will be tall but who knows.
On the flipside, the quickest and easiest way to build an 'architecturally significant' tower is to make it very tall.

I wouldn't expect a big company like Related to promise something significant on the basis of design only. That's a big gamble, considering it would be tremendously subjective.
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2014, 07:48 AM   #30
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

I don't know why ppl thought Chicago Tower was making a comeback.
Old November 6th, 2014, 09:22 PM   #31
Kleist D

Likes (Received): 2318

... IMHO pretty Moscow style in the Midwest.
Kleist D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2014, 05:37 AM   #32
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

These towers actually look pretty cool, it would be nice if at least one ended up in the 400 meter range.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2015, 03:51 PM   #33
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

CTBUH Global News: http://www.ctbuh.org/News/GlobalTall...-US/view.aspx#!

Six Proposals Made to Replace the Never-Built Chicago Spire
Chicago, United States – 03 February 2015

Quote:
Over a decade ago, an ambitious project was undertaken by developer Garrett Kelleher to construct the Chicago Spire, a 2,000-foot (610-meter) twisting tower designed by Calatrava near the south bank of the Chicago River. As fate would have it, the project came along with budgetary issues and left the developer in over $100 million in debt, forcing him to cede the property to local developers Related Midwest. The developers picked five local architecture firms (SPACE Architects + Planners, VOA, Solomon Cordwell Buenz, UrbanLab, and CLUAA) and one landscape firm (Hoerr Schaudt) and posed the question: “what would you put in a 76-foot (23-meter) deep hole?”

Each studio came up with diverse and creative solutions to make a failed dream into a productive architectural site for the community.

The only project that would actually use the existing foundation to build upwards is the “Chicago Beacon” by Solomon Cordwell Buenz. The condominium tower is based around a spiraling triangular glass facade that forms a structure unlike any in the area. At the base, several levels of vertical gardens seep onto the surrounding site, forming a 1,280-foot (390-meter) residential tower in the middle of a garden. The greenery in the tower is not just for an integration of vegetation within the man-made environment, but is actually designed for residents to grow fruits and vegetables. The reflective nature of the facade and angled rooftop acts as a large mirror that creates a landmark for boats and pedestrians alike.
More info: http://www.designboom.com/architectu...was-1-31-2015/

hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2015, 05:01 PM   #34
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2612

The other five proposals are ridiculous.
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2015, 09:16 PM   #35
NatFan9

Likes (Received): 536

I actually like most of them. The pool though...

nomarandlee, Alex The Chicagoan liked this post
NatFan9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2015, 12:19 AM   #36
Scrapernab2

Only one proposal for a tall building? It is correct that the other proposals are not just silly, they are stupid. Use the hole for a 100 person concert 'hall'? with a canvas roof?
Old February 5th, 2015, 12:22 AM   #37
NatFan9

Clearly I'm on the wrong forum if people refuse to see any use for the space beyond another building.
Old February 5th, 2015, 12:27 AM   #38
Scrapernab2

We are skyscraper fans, and the main reason for investing in this property would not be for a Lake Side Market, or a bird net...IMO

Also, do you think the pool would generate serious income? In cold windy Chicago?
Old February 5th, 2015, 12:32 AM   #39
NatFan9

CHICAGO | Related Midwest Towers | 305m | 1000ft | 244m | 800ft | Pro

I'm a skyscraper fan too, that's why I'm here, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate a public park or a uniquely designed culture center. Those kinds of things can drive up property values around them. And I specifically said previously I don't like the pool idea. Others are uses for the space that I think would benefit chicago.

EDIT: I should add that just because I say I like some of the other proposals doesn't mean I want them more than the skyscraper. I like the skyscraper proposal more than the others, but I'm not going to call them stupid to justify my preference. A lot of them are good, but the skyscraper is better.

Alex The Chicagoan liked this post

Last edited by NatFan9; February 5th, 2015 at 01:55 AM.
NatFan9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2015, 01:42 AM   #40
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10268

I'll take the 1,280' tower proposal by far. The 76 foot deep swimming pool? I wonder how many people will drown in there each year. The others are really bad (especially the bird habitat. Really?)

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
400 n. lakeshore dr., chicago, related midwest, spire site, streeterville