daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 2nd, 2014, 01:25 AM   #1
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

Longest straight routes

To keep the off-topic in the German thread from getting bigger, I create this thread. The question is simple: What is the longest straight route (i.e. not taking any exits or turning at intersections) one can do? There are no limit of number changes, and crossing borders are allowed. So far, this route in the US wins at 2,540 kilometers, taking I-94 from the I-90 autobahndreieck at Tomah, then I-35E, I-35, I-80, I-76 and I-70 before finally ending at I-15 at Cove Fort.

On regular roads this might be more interesting, and also challengening since intersections aren't as obvious as exits. Back in the end of 2012 they had a thread in AARoads about this topic, and they found this 1,380 kilometer run across Alaska. Any longer?

Edit: Damnit, I knew I was to find one longer just after creating this thread: Seattle to around the Twin Cities (2,758 km).
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

Road_UK liked this post
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 2nd, 2014, 01:31 AM   #2
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

"Direct" may be a better adjective than "straight," really. Although that's Road_UK's fault too.

Although on second thought, some of those routes are so, um, sinuous I'm not sure you'd describe them as "direct," either. No one would drive through Saint Paul to get from Tomah to Cove Fort.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2014, 11:02 AM   #3
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

We should add the history of the discussion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Last night I travelled from the Netherlands back to Austria. From the Dutch border I take the A3 to Oberhausen, and I exit there to stay on the A3 towards Cologne. From there it's a straight run without using exits all the way to Munich, as the A3 changes into A9 at Nürnberg. To stay on the A3 towards Regensburg you have to take an exit again.

I had this thought last night. If you get on the A2 at Berlin, and keep on sitting on it without taking exits, you'll wind up in Munich via Hanover, Oberhausen and Frankfurt. It keeps on changing numbers (A2, A3, A9) but it's still a straight run without exits.... So not looking at the numbers, it must be the longest straight motorway in Germany.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
It actually starts at Potsdam Junction and goes all the way to München-Schwabing. It's not exactly straight either but it certainly is the longest central reservation in Germany and maybe even in Europe. One the lanes on this route may also be the longest one at least in Germany.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
1278 km: we win!

https://maps.google.nl/maps?saddr=A5...sp=2&sz=17&z=6

(interesting experiment, indeed)

Maybe some cross-border route running through Germany is even longer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
https://www.google.es/maps/dir/38.33...48e45c!1m0!3e0

Too bad the G4 North of there is under reconstruction/widening .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
I got a Genova - Paris of 1172 km...
The eastern part of the German A4 begins at the A7 interchange AD Kirchheim. The road continues in Poland. The total length is about 1,000km now. After completion of the last Polish A4 section (May 2016) the road will run up to the Ukrainian border (about 1,100km). If Ukraine would extend the road up to Kiev, it would have a length of about 1,700km. This should be the longest European road you can drive without taking an exits. But it's a dream of the future .

I have some candidates which are direct motorways with a lot of changes in road numbering:

- Starting on the A9 at interchange AK Nuremberg (A3), you get on the A10 at AD Potsdam, drive around Berlin, end up on the A24 which continues as A19 and B105. The road ends after 700km in Rostock: > click < = 5 road numberings.
- Starting on the B4 in Hamburg, following the A255, A1, A7, A5, A6, A81 you end up at the A8 interchange AD Leonberg near Stuttgart after 688km: > click < = 7 road numberings.

Road_UK liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2014, 11:13 AM   #4
mapman:cz
Ministerský rada

Likes (Received): 202

In many cases it's really interesting where those longest "straight" routes (or longest routes without TOTSO) start/end, when taking into account european capitals and respective network.

For example:
1) longest continuous route from Vienna is probably the Westautobahn, connecting directly the cities of Vienna and Munich (only 419 km)
2) longest continuous route from Prague is also the western route, it ends near Heilbronn (421 km)
3) Berlin has some interesting ones - Berliner ring is part of a continuous route from Rostock to Nürnberg (701 km) altough being surpassed by the already mentioned route A2-A3-A9 Berlin-Cologne-Munich (1115 km)

What about other capitals?
Old November 2nd, 2014, 11:45 AM   #5
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

Starting at Cristo Rey circle in Madrid and heading East, the city streets become A-2 and then AP-2, ultimately ending at AP-7. That's about 560 km.

The only trouble is at the start of the Z-40 overlap. The way it was signed made A-2 the through route in that autobahnkreuz, but the signs were knocked down last year and they are replacing them now. In the improbable case they change the through route to Z-40, then the above mentioned route would be cut to 313 km and a new, weird straght route would form: AP-7/AP-2 interchange West to and around Zaragoza and then North to Oloron-Ste-Marie in Grance.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

Last edited by CNGL; November 2nd, 2014 at 11:55 AM.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2014, 11:53 AM   #6
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

This thread would be nice if it was for an individual lane. What's the longest distance between the point where a lane starts, and where it ends ?

Long ago the Wegenforum-members had done something similar for the Netherlands, but it is quite tricky because Google Maps can be out of date...
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2014, 12:11 PM   #7
verfmeer

Likes (Received): 51

I assume you can't use the same stretch of road twice? Otherwise you could drive 100.000 km on the Amsterdam ring road (A10) without needing to change at an intersection. (Same goes for the Boulevard Peripherique in Paris)
verfmeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2014, 12:30 PM   #8
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 3106

Highway 1 Australia is 14,500km...just say'n...

piotr71, AnOldBlackMarble liked this post
redbaron_012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2014, 12:32 PM   #9
mapman:cz
Ministerský rada

Likes (Received): 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
The eastern part of the German A4 begins at the A7 interchange AD Kirchheim. The road continues in Poland. The total length is about 1,000km now. After completion of the last Polish A4 section (May 2016) the road will run up to the Ukrainian border (about 1,100km). If Ukraine would extend the road up to Kiev, it would have a length of about 1,700km. This should be the longest European road you can drive without taking an exits. But it's a dream of the future .
There is one TOTSO on this route near Krakow-Balice, so unfortunately this could not be counted as continuous: https://www.google.cz/maps/@50.0879548,19.7960964,15z
Old November 2nd, 2014, 12:55 PM   #10
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron_012 View Post
Highway 1 Australia is 14,500km...just say'n...
That is not relevant to this thread. It's about the longest stretch of road you can drive without having to turn off at any point.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2014, 01:14 PM   #11
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Here's the Genova - Paris of 1172 km:

https://maps.google.nl/maps?saddr=Un...z=20&via=1&z=6

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

Road_UK liked this post
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2014, 01:25 PM   #12
verfmeer

In France/Italy: D6-N6-A5a-A5-A31-A6-A7-A8-(I)-A10, From the D6/N6 junction to the A10/A26 interchange it is 1.165 km.
If the TOTSO at the A10/A26 interchange allows you to continue on the A 26, you can even continue via A26-A8/A26-A8 to Milan. Paris-Milan would be 1.385km, a new European record.
Old November 2nd, 2014, 01:40 PM   #13
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Oslo - Stuttgart: 1766 km (starting 2015 when the last missing link of E6 in Sweden opens)

http://goo.gl/maps/1yQcY
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2014, 01:42 PM   #14
verfmeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Oslo - Stuttgart: 1766 km (starting 2015 when the last missing link of E6 in Sweden opens)

http://goo.gl/maps/1yQcY
At the Horster Drieeck, The A7 has a TOTSO and continues to the A1, so this route won't continue beyond Hamburg.
Old November 2nd, 2014, 02:40 PM   #15
Puležan

Likes (Received): 971

In Croatia and BIH there's a route from Zagreb to Međugorje via croatian A1 and A10 and BIH A1 that's 500 km long (for now).

Croatian section: A1+A10 from Jadranska avenija in Zagreb which continues as A1 until Metković where it changes its name into A10 and goes to BIH border; totally 490 km. BIH part (A1) continues directly from our A10 and is cca 10 km long, but when completed, it will go towards Sarajevo, Doboj, across the border to Croatia, continue on croatian A5 towards Osijek and then into Hungary and towards Budapest on M6 motorway. Zagreb-Budapest totally cca 1100 km
Old November 2nd, 2014, 02:57 PM   #16
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswnl View Post
This thread would be nice if it was for an individual lane. What's the longest distance between the point where a lane starts, and where it ends ?

Long ago the Wegenforum-members had done something similar for the Netherlands, but it is quite tricky because Google Maps can be out of date...
I was thinking about the Netherlands, but none of the continous lanes or central reservations are really long. All motorways lead to cities or ring roads close by or just split. (Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Antwerp, Oberhausen, The Hague, Liege, Bunde etc etc)

This is an interesting one:

Nassereith (junction A12 Austria) to Skagen, Denmark. Non-motorway in Austria leading over the Fernpaß and linking with the A7 in Germany right after the border and none-motorway in Denmark after Aalborg, it is still continuous without roundabouts or exits. Google for directions from Nassereith to Skagen and you get three navigation insructions only: follow, follow and follow.

[IMG][/IMG]

Edit: But I understand there is a hitch in the A7?
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2014, 03:21 PM   #17
verfmeer

Multiple, there are TOTSO's at the Horster Dreieck, the Hattenbacher Dreieck and Kreuz Memmingen.
Old November 2nd, 2014, 04:33 PM   #18
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Places where the world record could be:
- Australia: coastal road or Adelaide-Alice Spring-Darwin desert road.
- Canada: Trans Canadian Highway or some N-S routes (like roads to Inuvik or Yellowknife)
- Russia: possibly in Siberia (road Moscow-Vladivostock or the gravel road to Magadan)
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2014, 04:39 PM   #19
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

This is probably the longest in the world, since the area is almost entirely roadless

https://www.google.it/maps/dir/Skovo....8!2d59.566667
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2014, 04:46 PM   #20
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapman:cz View Post
In many cases it's really interesting where those longest "straight" routes (or longest routes without TOTSO) start/end, when taking into account european capitals and respective network.
What about other capitals?
Are non-European capitals acceptable? ;-)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote