daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 2nd, 2014, 04:50 PM   #21
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Places where the world record could be:
- Australia: coastal road or Adelaide-Alice Spring-Darwin desert road.
- Canada: Trans Canadian Highway or some N-S routes (like roads to Inuvik or Yellowknife)
- Russia: possibly in Siberia (road Moscow-Vladivostock or the gravel road to Magadan)
The Trans-Canada, besides having several options between Montreal and northern Ontario, has its share of TOTSOs and even a couple of ferry crossings. And when this started, we were limited to motorways.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 2nd, 2014, 04:51 PM   #22
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

Highway 400 + 11 + 17 is pretty long.

Edit: wait, you need a turn in Sudbury. Never mind.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2014, 04:57 PM   #23
verfmeer

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
This is probably the longest in the world, since the area is almost entirely roadless

https://www.google.it/maps/dir/Skovo....8!2d59.566667
There is a TOTSO at the bridge over the river Indigirka.
verfmeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2014, 05:04 PM   #24
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
We should add the history of the discussion:

The eastern part of the German A4 begins at the A7 interchange AD Kirchheim. The road continues in Poland. The total length is about 1,000km now. After completion of the last Polish A4 section (May 2016) the road will run up to the Ukrainian border (about 1,100km). If Ukraine would extend the road up to Kiev, it would have a length of about 1,700km. This should be the longest European road you can drive without taking an exits. But it's a dream of the future .

I have some candidates which are direct motorways with a lot of changes in road numbering:

- Starting on the A9 at interchange AK Nuremberg (A3), you get on the A10 at AD Potsdam, drive around Berlin, end up on the A24 which continues as A19 and B105. The road ends after 700km in Rostock: > click < = 5 road numberings.
- Starting on the B4 in Hamburg, following the A255, A1, A7, A5, A6, A81 you end up at the A8 interchange AD Leonberg near Stuttgart after 688km: > click < = 7 road numberings.
Actually, there's more history than that - examples from China and the U.S. - in the German thread. Strange place for it, I know. That's why it was moved.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old November 2nd, 2014, 06:15 PM   #25
mapman:cz
Ministerský rada

Likes (Received): 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Are non-European capitals acceptable? ;-)
I've been expecting this I erased the word "european" from the last sentence just before clicking on the submit button

I tried to point out, that motorways were in many cases built at first as an "in and out-of-the-city" road and the numbering does not and can't take TOTSOs into account.

Penn's Woods liked this post

Last edited by mapman:cz; November 2nd, 2014 at 06:21 PM.
mapman:cz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2014, 06:24 PM   #26
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by verfmeer View Post
Multiple, there are TOTSO's at the Horster Dreieck, the Hattenbacher Dreieck and Kreuz Memmingen.
You're right with Horster Dreieck and Hattenbacher Dreieck but the AK Memmingen is not a TOTSO (> click <).
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2014, 06:36 PM   #27
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

Quote:
Originally Posted by verfmeer View Post
There is a TOTSO at the bridge over the river Indigirka.
It doesn't seem so, the main road is the one that turns there. Anyway, the road is cut about halfway by the Aldan river, which needs a ferry in order to be crossed and thus invalidates this run.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2014, 06:37 PM   #28
verfmeer

- double

Last edited by verfmeer; November 2nd, 2014 at 06:38 PM. Reason: double
Old November 2nd, 2014, 06:38 PM   #29
verfmeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
You're right with Horster Dreieck and Hattenbacher Dreieck but the AK Memmingen is not a TOTSO (> click <).
Sorry, it is only a TOTSO at the A96, but it is continuous at the A7.
Old November 2nd, 2014, 10:20 PM   #30
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

If I didn't mess up in the French part, I may have a new European record of 1809 km from Paris to Trieste, provided you begin to drive on the left lane:
https://maps.google.nl/maps?saddr=Me...&via=1,2,3&z=6

It follows the condition "staying on the same lane", but in the Italian part there are some points in which two lanes are forced to merge into one. And close to Genova (A10 > A26) the central lane splits symetrically in two directions, you are not actually leaving it (in this case you go left).

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2014, 10:32 PM   #31
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
The Trans-Canada, besides having several options between Montreal and northern Ontario, has its share of TOTSOs and even a couple of ferry crossings. And when this started, we were limited to motorways.
The first post doesn't say that it's limited to motorways only.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2014, 10:50 PM   #32
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

Yup, but this started as an off-topic at the German thread. And then, when I made this thread I decided not to restrict to motorways only.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2014, 10:59 PM   #33
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
It doesn't seem so, the main road is the one that turns there. Anyway, the road is cut about halfway by the Aldan river, which needs a ferry in order to be crossed and thus invalidates this run.
It looks like there is an U/C bridge.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old November 2nd, 2014, 11:07 PM   #34
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
Yup, but this started as an off-topic at the German thread. And then, when I made this thread I decided not to restrict to motorways only.
That wasn't clear to me, but that may be because I already knew and had participated in the context (the OT).

So, carry on! (But we could have a sort of topic-within-a-topic of longest TOTSO-free motorway.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old November 2nd, 2014, 11:13 PM   #35
italystf

2720km in Australia
https://www.google.it/maps/dir/-12.4...131.8383491,5z
There's a roundabout in Alice Spring, though, but the main road goes straight across it.
Old November 4th, 2014, 03:14 PM   #36
earthJoker
Ölm

Likes (Received): 1988

So what's actually the rule for a three way intersection. Some of them are a clear T shape others are more even. Which option is "straight" for intersections like Zürich-Ost, or is there simply no "straight" lane here.
https://www.google.ch/maps/@47.4129932,8.5784281,16z

See you in the Swiss Forum on skyscrapercity.com
earthJoker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2014, 03:57 PM   #37
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

^ Depends on which lane you're looking at.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2014, 04:12 PM   #38
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Yep, I agree with Verso.

What is debatable is where a single lane is splitting:
https://maps.google.ch/maps?ll=44.42...00142&t=k&z=20

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2014, 04:39 PM   #39
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

^ I'd say it's optional.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2014, 04:55 PM   #40
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
Yep, I agree with Verso.
That's always wise....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Verso liked this post