daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 9th, 2014, 12:45 AM   #61
Guajiro1
Cereal Killer

Likes (Received): 5628

National Route 40 beats them all, crossing Argentina from North to South, it is 5301km long.

Guajiro1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 9th, 2014, 10:02 AM   #62
verfmeer

Likes (Received): 51

There are already 3 TOTSOs between Santa Catalina and Susques. Given the fact that it isn't a motorway, I suspect many more further south.

MichiH liked this post
verfmeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2014, 11:33 AM   #63
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

R2 in Belarus runs straight (literally: no curves) for 111 km. Possibly the longest in Europe?

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

devo, Verso liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2014, 08:06 PM   #64
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

wow, I wonder how the topography is, how far can you see?
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2014, 08:26 PM   #65
Exethalion
Remember Me

Likes (Received): 645

There are a number of TOTSOs where it has to negotiate around ring roads and through two of the largest cities in the world, but the G15 Expressway in China runs for 3139km from Yantai just north of Qingdao, all the way along the nation's coast, through Shanghai and Guangzhou, to the shore opposite Hainan Island near Vietnam.

When completed it will extend to 3710km, going via tunnel to Shenyang.

Route

The G30 is longer at 4243km but I don't know how complete that route is. I think this one is cooler anyway.
Exethalion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2014, 08:46 PM   #66
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2081

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exethalion View Post
There are a number of TOTSOs [...] but the G15 Expressway in China runs for 3139km
The topic is not about the longest road (with the same numbering) but about the longest direct route without turning (the numbering of the roads doesn't matter).

Road_UK liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2014, 09:25 PM   #67
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
The topic is not about the longest road (with the same numbering).
And 3,139 km wouldn't be that anyway. :-)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2014, 09:41 PM   #68
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

But while we're there, what is the longest numbered route? Something from Moscow to Vladivostok? The Trans-Canada (if we say "designated" instead of "numbered" so that we can treat it as such)? Highway 1 in Australia? I-90 (if we rule out the Trans-Canada)?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2014, 11:40 PM   #69
italystf

Likes (Received): 2184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
But while we're there, what is the longest numbered route? Something from Moscow to Vladivostok? The Trans-Canada (if we say "designated" instead of "numbered" so that we can treat it as such)? Highway 1 in Australia? I-90 (if we rule out the Trans-Canada)?
The Trans-Canada Highway looks like more a network of roads rather than a single road. The lenght of the main route changes according to sources, I found 8,030km and 7,821km. I don't know which criteria have been chosen.
Usually the TCH is considered to start in Victoria, British Coumbia and end in Saint John's, Newfoundland and Labrador.

Australian Highway 1 is 14,500km long. It's surely the longest numbered road in the world, but it's not a road from A to B, it's a huge ringroad around the continent, with a spur to Darwin and a separate section in Tasmania.

The Trans-Siberian Highway stretches for over 11,000km from Saint Petersburg to Vladivostok. It's surely the longest road from A to B, but, unlikely the other two, it's not an official road, but instead the union of different numbered roads.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Penn's Woods liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote