daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 28th, 2006, 09:36 AM   #421
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

That was the original price which is why they sold out so fast. There's no way you could buy a house for that cheap now.
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2006, 02:55 PM   #422
Dr. Dubai
BANNED

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerPower
Someone correct me but I remember hearing that they plan on handing over the first villas at the end of this year possibly?
I think you're right. I thought the first ones are planned to be completed at the end of the year, november or something
Dr. Dubai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 03:39 PM   #423
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky1988_61
One Question: Who is coming to buy those houses or apartments ? I.E Where is the perchasing power? After Dubai finished those cool stuffs....

again, all those thousands villas and apts (and hotel plots)are sold, and have been sold within hours from launch in 2002.

they are now sold at a premium of up to 200%!!

all the projects in Dubai are sold within weeks or months usually. even know, the market has slowed down however, the projects and the plots in the new masterplanned projects are sold within weeks.

another boom will take place once the freehold law is passed, which will happen in the next weeks, because a lot of people are waiting for this to happen before buying.

i am also sure we will see a loooot more projects once this happens.

no matter who bought these units (investors, people who wont to rent it out, people who use it as holiday homes, people use it as 1st home) , they are sold, and developers make money with these projects, otherwise they would not launch them.

emaar for example which is the largest property developer in dubai (and the world for that matter) gained 4.7Bn Dhs in 2005 (1$ = 3.67Dhs).
dubaiflo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 03:47 PM   #424
weird
vagamundo

How many people could "live" in the palm? Its damn great
weird no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 04:39 PM   #425
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

the palm jumeirah could house about 100.000 people.

but this will never happen (2nd/3rd home, Hotel etc)
Old February 28th, 2006, 05:33 PM   #426
weird
vagamundo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaiflo
the palm jumeirah could house about 100.000 people.

but this will never happen (2nd/3rd home, Hotel etc)
Yes, I know. That's the reason I said "live"
The branches of the palm seems so closely.. I dont like this at all . It will be so congested. Anyway it looks great.
The palm will lodge any 5 star hotel complex? It's strange for dubai if not!

Cheers
weird no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 05:59 PM   #427
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

there will be several hotels on the palm, including a 210m Trump Tower and a 2000room atlantis by kerzner (the same guys doing the atlantis on the bahamas).

the fronds are not that close actually.
you have to remember the sheer size of this thing.

take a look :

recent satellite shot

by brian mcmorrow:

look how nice the villas look like.

[IMG]http://i2.************/orm2z4.jpg[/IMG]

by volker.
Old February 28th, 2006, 07:54 PM   #428
engiNerd

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerPower
I know they plan on having a couple thousand workers live on a renovated ferry from Greece. This will be docked adjacent to the trunk so they won't actually be living on the palm though.

As far as actual residents go, none of the villas are completed yet and the infrastructure isn't ready either so it will be a while. Someone correct me but I remember hearing that they plan on handing over the first villas at the end of this year possibly?

Thank you for the answer, that is what I was asking. I saw what looked like a paved road that went around the construction, so I was wondering whether or not they had finished any villas on the outer ring or not.
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."
engiNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 07:58 PM   #429
engiNerd

Another question for you guys. Are the villas made with concrete walls? To me it looks like they might be. That is would be crazy if they are. Is wood not used to construct housing in Dubai?
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."
Old February 28th, 2006, 08:37 PM   #430
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

they re indeed made of concrete..why not?
Old February 28th, 2006, 10:24 PM   #431
engiNerd

Definately cool, its just not done here in the U.S.A. I have never, and I deal with a lot of houses, seen a house built entirely with concrete, for the exterior walls. Everything here is done with wood. Makes sense definately though since I know there is not an abundance of trees growing out there in the desert. I would have thought they would use Cold-Formed steel studs though, not concrete.
Old March 1st, 2006, 05:25 AM   #432
Zaki
Joi Bangla

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by engiNerd
Definately cool, its just not done here in the U.S.A. I have never, and I deal with a lot of houses, seen a house built entirely with concrete, for the exterior walls. Everything here is done with wood. Makes sense definately though since I know there is not an abundance of trees growing out there in the desert. I would have thought they would use Cold-Formed steel studs though, not concrete.
Actually concrete works a lot better for their climate. Infact i still don't understand why they build using wood in the southern regions of North America, especially places like florida, it doesn't make any sense climate wise.

One funny thing though, similarly how you were suprised to see all the houses being built by concrete in Dubai, when my dad first moved to Toronto, he couldn't believe that all the houses were built with wood since where my background is form, only poor people use wood for homes, since having a wooden building would mean having your house blown away by the next cyclone.
Zaki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 05:30 AM   #433
*UofT*

Likes (Received): 18

The maintenance and construction of homes built with Soft wood lumber is a lot more efficient.. Plus its probably cheaper to have homes made of Soft Wood here in North America.
*UofT* no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 06:35 AM   #434
Zaki
Joi Bangla

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by *UofT*
The maintenance and construction of homes built with Soft wood lumber is a lot more efficient.. Plus its probably cheaper to have homes made of Soft Wood here in North America.
Ya but then in places like florida where they have frequent hurricanes that could completely wipe out your house, is it really worth the risk?

But then again, i don't know how much wood costs in dubai, and they definitely don't have hurricanes or cyclones so there's probably a different reason for them choosing concrete. Concrete probably keeps you cooler saving you on energy costs.
Zaki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 10:48 AM   #435
Mosaic
BANGKOK

Likes (Received): 758

Amazing project ever!!
Mosaic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 12:00 PM   #436
pflo777
BANNED

Likes (Received): 89

Quote:

the villas are much to dense imo
pflo777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 02:14 PM   #437
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

we also think so, but you have to remember those villas are reaaaaally huge and they will get a beach in front, which does not yet exist, so you will have more space around them in the end.
Old March 2nd, 2006, 05:38 PM   #438

how much would one of those villas cost?
627 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 05:47 PM   #439
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

a good one should be about 2,5m $ at the moment.

it depends.

you have to pay about 200% premium compared to launch prices.
Old March 2nd, 2006, 05:53 PM   #440
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

I think beforehand it was possible to buy a villa for 250k to 300k. Now it's about double the price.
The signature villas are more expensive but are way larger too
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote