daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 6th, 2006, 04:21 AM   #461
GaryinSydney

Likes (Received): 315

Yeah, NoChaos, what a tosser!

Sorry, but you're on a bloody skyscraper/development thread here, with people who are actually keen on progress, not stupid (IMO) greeny sensibilities.
GaryinSydney no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 6th, 2006, 04:39 AM   #462
Sauvalle
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

just by curiosity...who are supposed to enjoy that place? Dubaians?
Sauvalle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 04:40 AM   #463
swerveut
quit wasting my time !!

Likes (Received): 357

thats very little space between these houses! as somebody pointed out earlier, if I had a house on a resort like this, I would be needing a much larger space for my massive ego!
swerveut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 04:42 AM   #464
DUBAI
Under the Burj

Quote:
just by curiosity...who are supposed to enjoy that place? Dubaians?
anyne who can afford it.
Old March 6th, 2006, 04:44 AM   #465
Grollo
Developer

Likes (Received): 1015

McMansions!!!
Old March 6th, 2006, 04:52 AM   #466
SaRaJeVo-City
BANNED

Likes (Received): 17

wow awesome NICE job with the pics guys!
SaRaJeVo-City no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 05:09 AM   #467
skyperu34
TRUXILLO del PERU !!!

Likes (Received): 808

very impressive !!!!

Diseño, arquitectura, arte y naturaleza en:

skyperu34 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 08:10 AM   #468
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

Quote:
Originally Posted by nOchAos
What a vulgar display of wealth, unsustainability and environmental degradation. Where is the space to walk your dog in the park? Oh thats right you will have to drive to the park. Where is the local corner shop? Oh thats right you have to drive to the supermarket and buy mass produced products, full of chemical preservatives, enhancers, colourings and flavourings.

Where are the birds and animals in this man made dump? Do these people have any privacy? doesnt look like it. You do realise that this whole island and the homes on it will be underwater in about 50 years time. What goes around comes around I guess they sold the oil which created the carbon dioxide which melted the ice caps and now floods their homes.

Cheers at least I know my private little mansion with its beautiful gardens, and mature trees near the top of a mountain should be realtively OK compared to these guys who are going to lose everything.

Haha, I think you forget that this forum is geared towards development.

I don't know about other people but I wouldn't mind seeing the whole earth covered in development like you see on Coruscant like in Starwars. Also if you've ever been on a plane you realize how empty and undeveloped this planet is. After 10 minutes you look down and see nothing.

Anyway, I love this Palm Jumeriah project. I didn't know those "little" homes would be so big. Now it's time for me to make shitloads of money so I can enjoy Dubai in real like instead of through the computer screen.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 08:41 AM   #469
matt_sbs

Likes (Received): 5

this is going to look like paradise neighbourhood when it's finished
Old March 6th, 2006, 09:36 AM   #470
datilguy
SOUTH AFRICA

Likes (Received): 0

The Palm Jumeirah is absolutely an amazing project (problems and concerns aside).
Old March 6th, 2006, 09:58 AM   #471
SA BOY
South Straddie QLD

Likes (Received): 468

and it will be dwafed by its 2 bigger brothers in Palm Jebal ali and Palm diera
Old March 6th, 2006, 09:59 AM   #472
Open Road

Likes (Received): 0

I find it funney that people are still bitching about the space between the houses. Has anybody ever been to the west coast? Drive around San Diego, or LA, or San Fran and see how much space is between the houses in all but THE MOST exclusive neighborhoods. If you're not in the Hollywood hills, your multi-million dollar home is going to be right up against somebody else's. It's just the way property works. Dubai is, by necessity, somewhat land-starved (or will be in 20 years). So they're thinking ahead. They don't want half acre homes and suburban sprawl. They need some moderate density. Besides, who the hell cares how close you are to your neighbor when you've got the sea at your doorstep.

- Life is what happens when you’re making other plans
Open Road no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 10:22 AM   #473
Durbsboi
East Coast Massiv

Likes (Received): 142

Awesome houses, truly awesome. It reminds me of the Vegas housing setup. they are spaced out okay. but they are fight for place on the Island, so I would expect the houses to be close to one another. How much are the plots goin for?

Bucket Facebook Page
Durbsboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 10:31 AM   #474
FM 2258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open Road
I find it funney that people are still bitching about the space between the houses. Has anybody ever been to the west coast? Drive around San Diego, or LA, or San Fran and see how much space is between the houses in all but THE MOST exclusive neighborhoods. If you're not in the Hollywood hills, your multi-million dollar home is going to be right up against somebody else's. It's just the way property works. Dubai is, by necessity, somewhat land-starved (or will be in 20 years). So they're thinking ahead. They don't want half acre homes and suburban sprawl. They need some moderate density. Besides, who the hell cares how close you are to your neighbor when you've got the sea at your doorstep.
I think it's funny as well. Besides, most people spend time indoors and I bet Dubai get's pretty hot so why would anyone need so much outside space. You've got all the space you need with the beachfront and inside the house.

Plus when you live in a skyscraper you have zero land space. I think the spacing of the houses used is really smart. The houses are high quality and they were smart to use the reclaimed land to the maximum ability. When you're inside the house you don't really notice how close the next house is to you anyway.
Old March 6th, 2006, 11:01 AM   #475
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
What a vulgar display of wealth, unsustainability and environmental degradation. Where is the space to walk your dog in the park?
Along the beach

Quote:
Oh thats right you will have to drive to the park. Where is the local corner shop? Oh thats right you have to drive to the supermarket and buy mass produced products, full of chemical preservatives, enhancers, colourings and flavourings.
Well you know what? It's cheaper to mass produce food or anything for that matter. In this world people do anything for more money and while I don't like it I live with it. If you can't then why don't you throw away your house and your car and live a life of hunting and scavenging in the forrest.

Quote:
Where are the birds and animals in this man made dump? Do these people have any privacy? doesnt look like it. You do realise that this whole island and the homes on it will be underwater in about 50 years time. What goes around comes around I guess they sold the oil which created the carbon dioxide which melted the ice caps and now floods their homes.
What do you expect, deer and bunnies prancing around in a residential area? Well since it's next to water I think you can expect fish. Maybe this place will be underwater but so will a huge proportion of the whole world's built up area.

Quote:
Cheers at least I know my private little mansion with its beautiful gardens, and mature trees near the top of a mountain should be realtively OK compared to these guys who are going to lose everything.
Maybe it's better you stay there then. When we've all drowned in our mcmansions by the sea then maybe you can find the time to prance around alongside all the deer and bunnies you want

malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 11:04 AM   #476
drmadham

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyBoy
Nice job painting out the people.
I dont know how Dubais like, but do the women wear those clothes that cover up their whole body? I wouldnt think Dubai has the hottest girls i would go to Brazil or Sweden for that.
ill answer that. yes there are women who wear the abaya, but there also are women who wear rather revealing clothes, and yes many of 'em are hot..

Old March 6th, 2006, 11:05 AM   #477
kwigibo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryinSydney
Sorry, but you're on a bloody skyscraper/development thread here, with people who are actually keen on progress, not stupid (IMO) greeny sensibilities.
In my experience a lot of the users here like high rise development because it's the most efficient utilization of viable real estate. McMansions on the other hand are not only one of the less environmentally sound examples of suburban planning, but architecturally, culturally and sociologically pretty deficient.

I think we probably have different ideas of what progress is. Sure, this development is audacious and will look impressive from the sky, but otherwise it's just a collossal waste of resources.
kwigibo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 12:11 PM   #478
Mosaic
BANGKOK

Likes (Received): 758

Nice houses, nice neighbors.
Mosaic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 01:08 PM   #479
FM 2258

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmadham
ill answer that. yes there are women who wear the abaya, but there also are women who wear rather revealing clothes, and yes many of 'em are hot..

Awesome but how is the night club scene in Dubai? Is approaching women on the street or at StarBucks acceptable? Here in Texas I once saw a girl with her head covered but she had a tight shirt and tight ass jeans. Good Lord she look good and it made me wonder why she covered her head. You could see the ass, tits....damn all the shapes. Not bad at all.
Old March 6th, 2006, 01:20 PM   #480
smussuw
Patriotic Emirati

Likes (Received): 533

^ it depends on the girl.
smussuw no está en línea   Reply With Quote