daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 12th, 2014, 09:35 AM   #1
Jan
High there, what's up!

Likes (Received): 15846

Skyscraper Monopoly game board

For our magazine I put together a monopoly game board based on skyscrapers. Here it is:

The arguments for the cities, skyscrapers and icons selected can be found in the magazine text. Big version of the board can be found here.

Do you agree with these choices, or not?

KlausDiggy, Union Man, Yellow Fever liked this post
Jan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 12th, 2014, 09:48 AM   #2
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22552

the idea behind Al Burj is nice and all, but the fact that it hasn't been built is a bit off putting, imo. Burj Khalifa is the perfect built representation of Dubai's aspirations to build tall and its already on the board. I would use the Emirates towers instead of Al Burj, since they are nearly as identifiable with the city as Burj Dubai or Burj Khalifa.
Hudson11 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2014, 07:31 PM   #3
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10788

Nice effort, but no I don't agree with the choices. It's nice to be inclusive of all regions/continents of the world, but it's not possible when one's dealing with skyscrapers. Asia is on a completely different level than north America while north America is on a completely different level than the rest of the world.

London, Rotterdam, and Moscow have about as much place on there as Calgary, Perth, and Sao Paulo. New York, Hong Kong, Chicago, Dubai, and Shanghai make sense.

Perhaps leave the skyscraper spots to Asian/north American cities (where they're clearly well ahead) and then add European content with things like Schiphol Airport and Gare de Nord rail station (where Europe excels)? It's impossible to make everyone happy, but it should at least try to mirror the real world to some degree.

Another suggestion: Each spot is an entire country. (This is roughly based on 100m+ building stock in each country.) India is a bit of a question mark. I don't know where to put it as data for that country is terrible. 5-10 years from now India will surely be much higher up.

Blue: China, United States
Green: Japan, South Korea, Canada
Yellow: Thailand, United Arab Emirates, Australia
Red: Malaysia, Philippines, Indonesia
Orange: India, Singapore, Turkey
Purple: Russia, United Kingdom, Germany
Light Blue: Brazil, Mexico, Panama
Turquoise: France, Spain

You could use 1 iconic structure/skyscraper from each country for imagery. Oriental Pearl (China), Empire State (USA), CN Tower (Canada), Burj Khalifa (UAE), Sydney Opera House (Australia), Petronas (Malaysia), etc.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Erhan liked this post

Last edited by isaidso; November 12th, 2014 at 08:48 PM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2014, 08:26 PM   #4
Erhan

Likes (Received): 10510

With 13/30 locations in Europe I think it's a bit too eurocentric.

13 Europe
6 China/HK
6 USA
5 Singapore, Dubai, Australia

You could also include more countries by choosing other stations instead of Chicago Trail, Moscow Metro and Antwerpen Centraal because those countries have already been represented.
Old November 13th, 2014, 08:48 PM   #5
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28195

Nice effort. I like it.
Next step might be to make one for each continent (or even each country).
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2014, 11:19 PM   #6
Blackhavvk

Likes (Received): 7133

Cool !!! I really like, but there are 5 points.
1) Rotterdam. But I understand that you live there, so I think you can properly done.
2) I'd give 2 cells suggesting Chicago John Hancock and Sears, and 1 cell gave New York to 1 WTC
3) Replace the unbuilt Dubai skyscraper. For example on Cayan Tower.
4) Instead of Polish stadium would be better Maracana
5) Instead of St Paul would have been better Tover Elizabeth. Curious counterweight tower in Moscow

Last edited by Blackhavvk; November 13th, 2014 at 11:27 PM.
Blackhavvk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2014, 11:13 PM   #7
Blue Flame
Get Silly!

Likes (Received): 575

I made one of these about 5 years ago, for a school project. I called it Skyscropoly. It featured a number of buildings that were proposals at the time, some of which got cancelled, but it still looked really cool. The buildings increased in height as you got to the more expensive properties. The first one was Swiss Re HQ in London, and the last one was the Mile Tower in Jeddah. (It was proposed at a mile in height back then.)