daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 13th, 2014, 07:49 AM   #1
NatFan9

Likes (Received): 536

My six degrees of airport separation theory

You know how there's the popular theory that you know everyone in the world through six degrees of relationship separation? Well I've had this theory for a while now that basically works the same way, that you can get from any airport in the world with commercial service to any other airport in the world with commercial service using only regularly scheduled airline flights in under six legs, or five layover cities. Could the theory work? Am I actually overestimating the number of connections needed to get from one part of the world to another?

Example via Google Flights:
Manaus, Brazil to Lhasa, China
MAO-BSB-CDG-XIY-LXA
4 flights, 3 stopovers
NatFan9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 13th, 2014, 08:32 AM   #2
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11257

There are some city pairs nowadays that only require one or two stopovers, especially if you're heading to the big cities (thanks of course to the Middle East's Big 3 and the vast number of airlines criss-crossing the oceans of the world). But, of course, some of the smaller, more remote airports may definitely require a lot more stopovers (usually around 3 to 4) to make the entire journey.

The airports where you can make so many one- to two-stop connections include:

• Amsterdam
• Atlanta
• Bangkok
• Beijing
• Chicago (especially O'Hare)
• Dallas (especially DFW)
• Dubai
• Frankfurt
• Hong Kong
• Houston (especially IAH)
• Jakarta
• Las Vegas
• London (with Heathrow and Gatwick)
• Los Angeles
• Miami
• New York (including JFK, LaGuardia, and Newark)
• Paris (both CDG and ORY)
• San Francisco
• Shanghai (both Hongqiao and Pu Dong)
• Singapore
• Sydney
• Tokyo (both Haneda and Narita)

There are so much more than those, yet I give those as the basics.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2014, 09:14 PM   #3
Highcliff
Fake democracy

Likes (Received): 5011

cool theory....awesome...
Highcliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2014, 05:58 PM   #4
ovnours
свинота

Likes (Received): 61091

I believe the most common trip from one sh*thole to another one located in the opposite end of the world would be local - regional - international - regional - local. Could be two internationals. But there are hardly two airfields on Earth that need more than five legs between them. Suppose your theory works fine.
Old November 14th, 2014, 07:14 PM   #5
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4972

Reminds me of my epic trip

KHI-DXB-SVO-JFK-IAD-IND

Having said that, my guess is that you can go from any airport to any other within 5 degrees.
Old November 14th, 2014, 07:35 PM   #6
NatFan9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovnours View Post
I believe the most common trip from one sh*thole to another one located in the opposite end of the world would be local - regional - international - regional - local. Could be two internationals. But there are hardly two airfields on Earth that need more than five legs between them. Suppose your theory works fine.
I've come to realize that lately. It makes sense, connecting through a regional hub, an international hub, and a regional hub. I haven't been able to find any two connections that take more. I've tried Reno, Nevada to Ufa, Russia, South Bend, Indiana to Palembang, Indonesia, and Thunder Bay, Ontario to Raipur, India. No more than 3 stopovers. So maybe it's a 4 degrees of separation theory.

ovnours liked this post
Old November 14th, 2014, 07:40 PM   #7
NatFan9

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamu maharaj View Post

KHI-DXB-SVO-JFK-IAD-IND

Having said that, my guess is that you can go from any airport to any other within 5 degrees.
I'm surprised, but according to google, that route could've been done in only one stop via Toronto on Pakistan and Air Canada.
Old November 14th, 2014, 07:55 PM   #8
Maadeuurija

Likes (Received): 532

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamu maharaj View Post

KHI-DXB-SVO-JFK-IAD-IND

I'm starting to support that.
Extreme sample i can come up with..

EERU-URE-TLL-HEL-SIN/PVG-AKL-CHT

EERU is the small "airport" of the island of Ruhnu. it has a tiny grass runway of 600m (it has no IATA code )

Half way across the earth from a tiny Estonian island to a small New Zealand island. First leg is a seasonal one but still should count
6 flights, 5 layovers.
Maadeuurija no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2014, 08:22 PM   #9
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

Maybe you can reach 6 with some hypothetical trip from a minor Pacific island to a minor Caribbean island.
Old November 14th, 2014, 09:12 PM   #10
ovnours
свинота

Likes (Received): 61091

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatFan9 View Post
I've come to realize that lately. It makes sense, connecting through a regional hub, an international hub, and a regional hub. I haven't been able to find any two connections that take more. I've tried Reno, Nevada to Ufa, Russia, South Bend, Indiana to Palembang, Indonesia, and Thunder Bay, Ontario to Raipur, India. No more than 3 stopovers. So maybe it's a 4 degrees of separation theory.
Most of those cities there are pretty significant for an experiment. For example Ufa is directly connected with all 3 Moscow's international airports which gives it a handicap. But if you take some local airport which is connected to Moscow via Ufa and try to get from it to some provincial town in let's say Argentina, that would be more fair.
Old November 14th, 2014, 09:39 PM   #11
NatFan9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovnours View Post
Most of those cities there are pretty significant for an experiment. For example Ufa is directly connected with all 3 Moscow's international airports which gives it a handicap. But if you take some local airport which is connected to Moscow via Ufa and try to get from it to some provincial town in let's say Argentina, that would be more fair.
Herein lies more obstacles to testing my theory. Outside of the US and Canada, I dont know many cities significant enough for commercial service but not enough to be very well connected.

Additionally, I probably need to find a different way to search for flights other than simply googling "City X to City Y flights". I tried to test it with the small islands but about half of them didn't come up. But I was able to find Port of Spain, Trinidad to Funafuti, Tuvalu takes 4 stops.
Old November 14th, 2014, 09:54 PM   #12
ESPImperium

Likes (Received): 147

Im thinking about the around the world in 8 days thing. And the 6 or less degrees of separation thing is a good build, from your 'home' airport to your 'home' airport in 8 days or less.

So for for me its:

Day 1: GLA -> DXB = Emirates B777-300ER
Day 2: DXB -> SYD = Qantas A380-800
Day 4: SYD -> LAX = Qantas B747-400
Day 6: LAX -> EWR = Virgin America A320
Day 7: EWR -> GLA = United B757-200

Could the route be shorter, yes, but i also want to make it interesting. If it was boring id go from DXB to Korea, then to ORD if its available then to EWR then home.

Interesting concept. Now thinking if it can be done without touching a 'hub' airport. I doubt it.
Old November 14th, 2014, 10:01 PM   #13
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatFan9 View Post
Additionally, I probably need to find a different way to search for flights other than simply googling "City X to City Y flights". I tried to test it with the small islands but about half of them didn't come up. But I was able to find Port of Spain, Trinidad to Funafuti, Tuvalu takes 4 stops.
You are looking for this

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

NatFan9 liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote