daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 17th, 2004, 06:37 PM   #301
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystan03
As examples, she cited 'never before' lows on popular routes to Bangkok and Hong Kong on full-service airlines at about $230 and $333.
$333 is still way over budget....I am waiting for sub-$200 fares!

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 18th, 2004, 12:42 AM   #302
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by huaiwei
$333 is still way over budget....I am waiting for sub-$200 fares!
I think that might have to wait until the 3 budget airlines in action......
Old August 18th, 2004, 05:45 PM   #303
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Can't hardly wait!

The problem is...if they all keep flying to the same old destinations, then that stil dosent give us lots of travelling options right? I do want to see a day when we could easily shuttle to countless Southeast Asian cities on the cheap!

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
Old August 18th, 2004, 11:37 PM   #304
David-80
Le Nozze di Figaro...

Yeah, I dont want to see another SIN-JKT again, its just too many! i want to see more flights from other places like Bali, lombok, manado or any other asean countries like vietnam, philippines, etc.

cheers
Old August 19th, 2004, 07:01 PM   #305
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Well I dont mind if the price drops below S$100 thou.

How frequently do Valuair fly to Jakarta now? Just say an ad saying they are introducing two flights per day?

Old August 20th, 2004, 08:45 AM   #306
David-80
Le Nozze di Figaro...

I think they are still flying once a day, maybe during peak seasion like in november and december then they will increase their flight. They really need to figure it out how they can survive after tiger airways and jetstar asia begin their operation though.

cheers
Old August 23rd, 2004, 07:53 AM   #307
elfreako

PLEASE, PLEASE, P L E A S E fly down to Perth!!! Wasn't Perth the most requested destination in a poll conducted by Valuair along with Bangkok?
elfreako no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2004, 09:10 AM   #308
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfreako
PLEASE, PLEASE, P L E A S E fly down to Perth!!! Wasn't Perth the most requested destination in a poll conducted by Valuair along with Bangkok?
Wow...you are the second person to demand for this sector after heirloom's heartful plea!

Yeah I think they ought yo start this sector soon too. Imagine the boon to traffic when budget conscious passengers actually fly down to Perth, and then transfer to a Virgin Blue flight to other Aussie destinations if need be...all on the cheap?

Old August 23rd, 2004, 12:02 PM   #309
heirloom

oh well i dont really care now as i've only got one and a half flight segments left and all have been booked. now... it should go to japanese destinations!
heirloom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2004, 01:06 PM   #310
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Business Times - 23 Aug 2004

Tiger Airways to start flying to Thailand

SINGAPORE - Tiger Airways, Singapore' first true low cost carrier has annouunced that it will kick-start operations by heading off in phases to popular destinations in Thailand - Bangkok, Phuket and Hatyai.

It plans to fly up to 10 destinations in the first year, and up to 15 destinations in the second year.

It will start with three daily flights to Bangkok and subsequently, to Phuket and Hatyai once daily.

Ticket sales will start by early September and the internet will be Tiger Airways' key marketing, sales and revenue tool, supporting the carrier's plans to sell 80 per cent of its tickets through its website.

Exclusive fares and promotions will be launched with the start of sales.

The carrier has just received the Air Operator's Certificate from the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS) and will be ready for take-off in September, ahead of schedule.

In an earlier announcement, it revealed that the first flight is expected to take place in the last quarter of 2004.

The carrier received the certificate after going through a series of stringent tests in accordance with industry regulations, including the final Proving flight from Singapore to Bangkok, Thailand.

Copyright © 2004 Singapore Press Holdings Ltd. All rights reserved.
Old August 23rd, 2004, 01:18 PM   #311
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

AUG 23, 2004
Tiger Airways ready for price wars

SINGAPORE -- Singapore Airlines' low-cost arm raised the stakes on Monday in the battle for budget travellers, saying it is ready for a price war as it prepares to begin service next month.

Tiger Airways will start operating three times daily to Bangkok, the Thai capital, in September, Tiger's chief executive Patrick Gan said without naming the date.

Originally, Tiger had been set to make its maiden flight in the final three months of this year.

Services to Hatyai, in Thailand's south, and the resort island of Phuket, also in the south, would soon follow, said Mr Gan. By year-end, two more unnamed countries will be added to its fledgling route network.

'As far as Tiger in concerned, we are ready for any price war if it ever breaks out,' said Mr Gan at a briefing for journalists. 'We have our own business plan contingencies built in place, and we are confident we will be successful at the end of the day.'

Tiger already faces formidable competition as the low-cost, no-frills airline sector has boomed in Asia over the past two years, emulating the rapid growth of its counterparts in the US, Europe and Australia.

Malaysia's AirAsia has led the way, offering fast-growing services within the country and internationally. It has a Thai unit, Thai AirAsia, that flies from Bangkok into Singapore's Changi Airport.

In addition, Thailand's Nok Air, Indonesia's Lion Air, and Singapore's Valuair have taken to the skies following the low-cost model. An offshoot of Australia's Qantas Airways also plans a Singapore-based unit.

Singapore's aviation authorities said last month they'll build a S$45 million budget terminal specifically for low-cost airlines - which Tiger has already committed to using when completed in 2006. -- AP

Copyright @ 2004 Singapore Press Holdings. All rights reserved.
Old August 24th, 2004, 08:32 AM   #312
David-80
Le Nozze di Figaro...

Huaiwei, I saw ads on newspaper said that starting this 25th of august, Valuair will fly twice from singapore - jakarta, thats absolutely good news

cheers
Old August 24th, 2004, 11:11 AM   #313
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Business Times - 24 Aug 2004

Tiger Airways prepares for fierce fare battle

Its average ticket price to be 40% below market's lowest average

By VEN SREENIVASAN

FLYING to Bangkok, Phuket, Hatyai and at least 15 more destinations for as little as a dollar is no flight of fancy.

These could be the lowest fares that Singapore's newest budget carrier, Tiger Airways, may offer on a graduated scale when it launches its inaugural flights to these destinations next month.

The low cost carrier, which is 49 per cent owned by Singapore Airlines got its Air Operators Certificate (AOC) yesterday morning and promptly announced plans to fly to as many as 10 regional destinations by year-end, and 15 by the end of 2005.

But it will start with three daily flights to Bangkok, and once-a-day flights to Hatyai and Phuket. Flights to other destinations such as Ho Chih Minh City in Vietnam, and Jakarta and Medan in Indonesia could follow by year-end.

Its Singapore-Bangkok service will put it in head-on competition with Valuair and Thai AirAsia.

But Tiger Airway's chief executive Patrick Gan said he was ready to take on the competition. 'As far as Tiger is concerned, we are ready for any price war if it breaks out,' he said. 'We have our own business plan contingencies built in place, and we are confident we will be successful at the end of the day.'

Mr Gan said the airline would price its tickets at a graduated scale, with the average price being 'at least 40 per cent below the lowest average price' available in the market.

A Valuair return ticket to Bangkok costs $199, while AirAsia's Singapore-Bangkok ticket prices average about $80 each way. However, the 'big boys' like Cathay Pacific and Singapore Airlines have also been getting into the act, offering 'special fares' from as low as $150.

Mr Gan said that the airline planned to fly around 200,000 passengers by the end of this year: 'We anticipate (traffic) growth to be 25 to 35 per cent in each of the next five years.'

But while flights to Thailand are easy enough to plan - Singapore and Thailand inked a free skies agreement - it may take a bit longer to get the flight rights to the other destinations within the four-hour flight radius targeted by the airline.

Tiger Airways will take delivery of two more leased 180-seater A320 aircraft by year-end, bringing its fleet size to four. It will then lease four more aircraft next year and another four in 2006.

About four-fifths of its tickets will be sold via the Internet, with the rest via the Post Office, AXS stations and call centres.

Mr Gan declined to be drawn into discussions on how the rising cost of fuel could impact on Tiger Airways, but said it would not follow SIA and Silkair in imposing fuel surcharges. 'We have no issues with the way oil prices are rising. We will manage,' he said. 'We have to be extremely careful and focussed on our cost.'

Its low cost competitor Valuair introduced a $5 surcharge per flight last month to offset part of the higher costs.

Besides Thai AirAsia and Valuair, Tiger may soon face competition from a Singapore-based unit of AirAsia, which applied for an AOC earlier this year.

Then there are other regional competitors like Indonesia's Lion Air and Thai Airway's budget unit Nok Air.

Tiger Airways' other shareholders are Indigo Partners LLC (24 per cent), Irelandia (16 per cent) and Temasek Holdings (11 per cent). Irelandia is the private investment arm of Ryanair founder Tony Ryan.

Old August 24th, 2004, 11:24 AM   #314
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

AUG 24, 2004
Tiger to soar with a roar a month ahead of schedule
The second budget carrier starts flying early next month to Bangkok thrice daily, followed by Phuket and Hat Yai

By Karamjit Kaur

TIGER Airways has received the official nod to begin commercial services out of Singapore and will take to the air early next month, at least a month ahead of schedule.

It will start with three flights a day to Bangkok, said its chief executive Patrick Gan, without disclosing the date of the maiden flight.

Speaking to the media yesterday, shortly after the airline received its Air Operator's Certificate from the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore, he was also tight-lipped about how much it would be charging travellers, but promised they would be 'impressed' by the fares.

He would only say that Tiger's average fare would be about 40 per cent less than the average lowest fare of full-service airlines.

At the moment these carriers are charging about $170 to Bangkok with conditions, such as setting a minimum on the number of people travelling together.

After Bangkok, the airline, which is 49 per cent-owned by Singapore Airlines, will fly to two more cities in Thailand, Phuket and Hat Yai.

It intends to have up to 10 destinations by September next year, and 15 by the end of second year of operations, said Mr Gan, who declined to name the cities for competitive reasons.

The carrier will be Singapore's second budget start-up. Low-cost carrier Valuair started operating in May. A third airline backed by Australia's Qantas, is expected to take off from the Republic before the end of the year.

Tiger will compete not just against Singaporean, Thai, Malaysian, Indonesian and Philippine low-cost players but also with full-service airlines, which slashed their fares when Valuair entered the market.

Asked if he was expecting the same reaction, Mr Gan said: 'We're ready for any price war...and we're very confident of the fares we have.'

He added: 'For a low-cost carrier flying within a four-hour radius, nothing else matters.'

Like AirAsia, his carrier will stagger what it charges, with early birds paying the least.

To keep its costs down, the airline - which has taken delivery of two new Airbus 320 aircraft and has two more coming by year-end - plans to sell eight out of every 10 tickets online.

Tickets can also be bought at selected Singapore Post outlets and AXS payment stations among other places.

For a start, passengers will fly out of Changi Airport's Terminal 1. Operations will eventually be moved to the new budget terminal, to which Tiger has committed. The $45 million building will be ready in 2006.

Mr Gan revealed that Tiger aims to win as many as 200,000 passengers by the end of this year and is gunning for an annual growth of between 25 and 35 per cent over the next five years.

It expects to be profitable within a year or two of taking off, he added.

Copyright @ 2004 Singapore Press Holdings. All rights reserved.
Old August 24th, 2004, 11:45 AM   #315
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Originally Posted by David-80
Huaiwei, I saw ads on newspaper said that starting this 25th of august, Valuair will fly twice from singapore - jakarta, thats absolutely good news

cheers
Good news.....so long that the prices go south!

Old August 25th, 2004, 07:31 AM   #316
Solblanc
hot

Likes (Received): 319

also, I wish that budget carriers would fly to manila! I've been dying to just go to some random SEA city and be back before dinner! (with current airfares, that's only possible if I go to HK) Too bad cebu pacific suspended its singapore flights, but who knows? When changi's new budget terminal becomes operational, maybe they'll go back again...
Old August 25th, 2004, 06:36 PM   #317
David-80
Le Nozze di Figaro...

I think the reason why no budget airlines fly to Manila are because..

1. Not much traffic within asean to Manila.

2. The Philippines government against the open skies policy (means, not easy to get permitt)

cheers
Old August 26th, 2004, 03:05 PM   #318
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Business Times - 27 Aug 2004

Tiger Airways pulls out fare ads on website

Observers say fares are a test run for the budget carrier's actual fares

By VEN SREENIVASAN

FLY from Singapore to Phuket, Bangkok and Hatyai for just $50.

For a brief moment yesterday, Tiger Airways' website advertised these fares.

However, the prices were hastily pulled out later in the day.

Tiger Airways officials could not be reached for comment, but industry observers said the fact that the fare advertisements were on the website for only a short while, suggested that it was just a test run ahead of confirmation by the company's board of its inaugural flights.

BT understands that it will start services to its Thai destinations on Sep 15.

Besides its chief executive Patrick Gan, the board comprises representatives of Singapore Airlines, which owns 49 per cent of Tiger Airways; Indigo Partners LLC (24 per cent), Irelandia (16 per cent) and Temasek Holdings (11 per cent).

Irelandia is the private investment arm of Ryanair founder Tony Ryan. It is not clear if Mr Ryan was in town yesterday.

Its Singapore-Bangkok service will put Tiger Airways in head-on competition with Valuair and Thai AirAsia. And by November, it will have Qantas' Jetstar competing in the same markets.

But Tiger Airway's Mr Gan said on Monday that he was ready to take on the competition.

'As far as Tiger is concerned, we are ready for any price war if it breaks out,' he said. 'We have our own business plan contingencies built in place, and we are confident we will be successful at the end of the day.'

Mr Gan said the airline would price its tickets at a graduated scale, with the average price being 'at least 40 per cent below the lowest average price' available in the market.

A Valuair return ticket to Bangkok costs $199, while AirAsia's Singapore-Bangkok ticket prices average about $80 each way. However, the 'big boys' like Cathay Pacific and Singapore Airlines have also been getting into the act, offering 'special fares' from as low as $150.

That would place Tiger's ticket prices at the $40 to $60 range.

The low cost carrier got its Air Operators Certificate (AOC) on Monday morning and plans to fly to as many as 10 regional destinations by year-end, and 15 by the end of 2005.

Besides the three Thai destinations, it plans to start flights to destinations such as Hanoi in Vietnam, and Jakarta and Medan in Indonesia by year-end, when it takes delivery of two more A320 plans, bringing its fleet to four.

It will then lease four more aircraft next year and another four in 2006.

About four-fifths of its tickets will be sold through the Internet, with the rest via the Post Office, AXS stations and call centres.

Last edited by babystan03; August 27th, 2004 at 11:23 AM.
babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2004, 03:16 PM   #319
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Originally Posted by David-80
I think the reason why no budget airlines fly to Manila are because..

1. Not much traffic within asean to Manila.

2. The Philippines government against the open skies policy (means, not easy to get permitt)

cheers
I am more inclined to agree with the later. As for the former, I am quite sure there is huge traffic between Singapore and Manila...for an obvious reason!

Old August 26th, 2004, 07:33 PM   #320
David-80
Le Nozze di Figaro...

Yeah, but one thing is why i said theres not much traffic, because i learned why cebu pacific only can hold the route for less than 5 months in Manila - Singapore route.

SIA already fly thrice a day, PAL fly once a day and sometimes twice a day.

Well if you compare between SG - BKK , SG- JKT and SG-HK with Manila - SG route then that MNL - SG route isnt comparable since the only peaktime is during december, when Philippines OFW are going back to the country for xmas holiday

but then again..its just my observation

cheers