daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 27th, 2004, 03:54 PM   #321
Solblanc
hot

Likes (Received): 319

OFW's may make up the core of traffic, but Singapore is also a tourist destination for us Filipinos. If the fares were a little lower, we'd be coming in even more droves. Lots of people here drop by singapore over the weekend just to go shopping.

Sponsored Links
Old August 27th, 2004, 04:10 PM   #322
David-80
Le Nozze di Figaro...

Cebu pacific already did that...and it failed. they lower the prices but the traffic wasnt picking up. Most Filipino choose to fly either SIA or PAL.

I think they intend to choose Hongkong instead of Singapore for shopping, because it closer. As far as i know, chinese, malaysian, indonesian and thai made the list for singapore weekend shopping, thus so many flight between BKK,China,Indonesia to SG.

cheers

cheers
Old August 28th, 2004, 06:21 AM   #323
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Likes (Received): 2

Tiger Airways website is up but no fares yet.......

http://www.tigerairways.com/index.htm
Old August 28th, 2004, 09:26 AM   #324
David-80
Le Nozze di Figaro...

I am confused, i read in newspaper, they will fly to jakarta and medan after thailand cities but in their statement, they will fly to resort island only? like Bali and phuket

so what about medan, do they still plan to open that route? Silkair will be in danger if tiger open the route between MDN-SIN

cheers
Old August 28th, 2004, 09:33 AM   #325
heirloom

why not bkk or kl or hk?
heirloom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2004, 09:39 AM   #326
David-80
Le Nozze di Figaro...

Their 1st flight supposed to be SIN - BKK is it?

I just hope tiger will fly to all asian resort island as many as possible with very low price, plus with a pack of tiger beer......ah thats life

cheers
Old August 28th, 2004, 01:52 PM   #327
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Likes (Received): 4

There is a reason why non of the new routes are between Singapore and Malaysia...its all thanks to the aviation pact being fully utilised by existing carriers already. I think they are talking about expanding on the pact last month or something...kinda dumb isnt it, when such an important market isnt open to budget carriers yet!

And tiger bear on every flight....hope it dosent promote air rage!

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2004, 03:10 PM   #328
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by huaiwei
There is a reason why non of the new routes are between Singapore and Malaysia...its all thanks to the aviation pact being fully utilised by existing carriers already. I think they are talking about expanding on the pact last month or something...kinda dumb isnt it, when such an important market isnt open to budget carriers yet!

And tiger bear on every flight....hope it dosent promote air rage!
Yup I hope they expand it soon cos I'm think it's ridiculous to pay S$304 for a Sg-KL return ticket, when those from Sg-Bkk and Sg-Jarkarta can cost less than S$200............
Old August 28th, 2004, 04:09 PM   #329
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Time is GMT + 8 hours
Posted: 28 August 2004 1653 hrs

Underprivileged children first to fly Tiger Airways in flight to nowhere
By Asha Popatlal, Channel NewsAsia

SINGAPORE : Tiger Airways took to the skies on Saturday, but it was not the start of commercial operations yet.

Instead, it was a flight to nowhere for 80 underprivileged children.

It started with fun and games.

But the excitement was really about getting onto the plane itself, led by Tiger attendants in their cream and navy blue ensemble.

Tiger, like most budget carriers, will not have assigned seating when it starts operations.

And once seated, the fun continued; even the safety demonstration had a rapt audience.

But the highlight was definitely the take-off.

Another first for the 80 children on board is the fact that most had not taken a plane ride before.

When asked how they felt, the kids said: "Very scared and excited."; "I'm very excited, this is my first time."; "I want to be a pilot when I grow up."

Refreshments, unlike actual Tiger commercial flights, were free this time.

And to make sure the children remembered the inaugural flight, they went home with a certificate signed by the pilot, one of 15 with Tiger Airways, with another 12 pilots in training.

By year's end, when Tiger Airways is planning to fly to three different countries, the number of pilots is expected to go up to 35.

As for fares, Visa cardholders are expected to get preferential rates, with UOB cardholders getting more promotional deals. - CNA

Copyright © 2004 MCN International Pte Ltd
Old August 30th, 2004, 07:35 AM   #330
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Originally Posted by David-80
I am confused, i read in newspaper, they will fly to jakarta and medan after thailand cities but in their statement, they will fly to resort island only? like Bali and phuket

so what about medan, do they still plan to open that route? Silkair will be in danger if tiger open the route between MDN-SIN

cheers
There is a market to Medan? I have the impression that it only a niche group of travellors on that sector...something which budget carriers cant really survive on alone?

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
Old August 30th, 2004, 07:54 AM   #331
David-80
Le Nozze di Figaro...

Yup, Medan have the largest hokkien population in Indonesia, most of their children go to school in singapore and their parents went to sg for medical treatment.

Other than Singapore, many from medan go to Penang, about 6 airlines fly to Penang from Medan which are china airlines, malaysian airlines, airasia (soon), adam air, etc

Most chinese in singapore are hokkien right?

cheers
Old August 30th, 2004, 12:10 PM   #332
heirloom

uh... dunno bout that.. my father is teochew, my mom is cantonese.
Old August 30th, 2004, 02:32 PM   #333
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Business Times - 30 Aug 2004

Tiger Airways offers air travel for just $1

SINGAPORE - Tiger Airways has proven its claim to be Singapore's first true low cost carrier, by announcing an introductory promotional price of just $1 (excluding fees, insurance and taxes) for one-way travel to its three confirmed destinations in Thailand: Bangkok, Phuket and Hat Yai.

This special introductory price is available online only, and will be applicable for the first week of flights to each destination: Bangkok from September 15-21; Hat Yai from September 22-28; Phuket from September 29 - October 5.

Each flight will have around one third of its tickets available for $1.

Tiger Airways Chief Executive Officer Patrick Gan said :'We have always said Tiger Airways would offer the lowest or one of the lowest airfares in the market. With our $1 online promotional airfares, we have clearly proven we are serious about being the low cost carrier. Tiger Airways is delivering on its promise of low fares and reliable and convenient air travel to Asian destinations within a four-hour flying radius of Singapore'.

Besides the $1 offer, all other tickets are priced in a tiered structure, ranging from $40-$140 for one-way travel to Thailand (excluding fees, insurance and taxes).

Tickets booked early will be the lowest priced.

Ticket prices will increase as the departure date approaches. Tiger Airways offers three daily flights to Bangkok and once daily flights to both Phuket and Hat Yai.

Singapore's newest low cost carrier will offer up to 10 destinations by the end of its first year of operations, and up to 15 destinations in the second year.

Copyright © 2004 Singapore Press Holdings Ltd. All rights reserved.
Old August 30th, 2004, 02:39 PM   #334
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Originally Posted by David-80
Yup, Medan have the largest hokkien population in Indonesia, most of their children go to school in singapore and their parents went to sg for medical treatment.

Other than Singapore, many from medan go to Penang, about 6 airlines fly to Penang from Medan which are china airlines, malaysian airlines, airasia (soon), adam air, etc

Most chinese in singapore are hokkien right?

cheers
Yeah Hokkiens are definitely the largest group here, nevermind what heirloom says.

I didnt know about the sizeable community in Medan thou. What a revelation! Thank you for that!

Old August 30th, 2004, 02:48 PM   #335
heirloom

well i didnt know?!
Old August 30th, 2004, 02:50 PM   #336
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloom
well i didnt know?!
It has been a well-established fact taken for granted by most Chinese Singaporeans for decades. I am surprised you arent in the loop?

Old August 30th, 2004, 03:06 PM   #337
heirloom

uh no i am not sadly ;(
Old August 31st, 2004, 06:38 PM   #338
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Time is GMT + 8 hours
Posted: 31 August 2004 2208 hrs

Tiger Airways website overwhelmed by demand for S$2 tickets
By Yvonne Cheong, Channel NewsAsia

SINGAPORE : There has been plenty of interest in Tiger Airways' S$2 airfares to Thailand but not all have been snapped up.

Thousands visited the airline's website on Tuesday after the carrier announced its cheap fares a day earlier.

But demand for the airline's special fares to Thailand has been so great that its Internet home could not cope and was even out of action for half an hour.

Once it was back in working order, things continued to run a little slow for the rest of the day.

But that did not stop some would-be customers from turning to the phone to snap up the cheap deals although some also wanted to complain.

Some people were even a little skeptical about their chances of getting one of the cheap tickets.

"We will lose out to the tour agencies. You know the bigger groups they will block book whatsoever get one shot then by the time we try for the first time or second time after that we'd just give up," said one potential purchaser.

And for others, the prospect of a cheap flight has not worked at least not yet.

Industry observers are predicting some form of price retaliation from the other airlines.

But Valuair says they will not be countering and a quick check of another website showed the full service airlines continuing to offer tickets to Bangkok from around S$180.

Some travel agents say they are not too concerned with the extreme low price as they think it will attract a different type of traveller.

Some even welcomed the promotion as they think it will create a new kind of travel demand and be a boost to the entire travel industry.

In the case of most Singaporeans it will be a case of travelling more often rather than travelling for the first time.

Robert Khoo, CEO, NATAS, said: "Singaporeans are among the world's greatest travellers, so everybody has travelled. Maybe now for the Singapore market you have to look into how to attract people to travel more often than before. I mean now it's so affordable maybe instead of twice a year, you go 4 times a year so that's great."

Tiger has now ungraded its Internet connection and added more capacity, allowing more people to stop by and snap up tickets. - CNA

Copyright © 2004 MCN International Pte Ltd

Business Times - 01 Sep 2004

Rush for $1 offer cripples Tiger website

Budget carrier's site saw over 4.5m hits; moves to improve booking system

By VEN SREENIVASAN

(SINGAPORE) Tiger Airways' promotional $1 tickets for its inaugural flights attracted such overwhelming response that its online booking website crashed and was out of service for much of yesterday.

With nearly 4.5 million hits - more than the size of Singapore's population - trying to book tickets to Bangkok, Phuket and Hat Yai at $1 each way, the www.tigerairways.com website was clearly unable to cope.

People who tried to log on to the site were greeted with a message which read: 'We're sorry. The server is currently busy. We apologise for any inconvenience. Please try again.'

But try again, and again they did, to no avail.

Yet the site continued to advertise Tiger Airways' promotional fares to Bangkok for Sept 15-21; Hat Yai for Sept 22-28; and, Phuket for Sept 29 to Oct 5. Each flight will have up to 60 seats available at the giveaway price.

Given that Tiger Airways is running three daily flights to Bangkok and one daily flight to Phuket and Hat Yai, this translates into some 2,100 seats to the three destinations during the one-week period.

But the fares are only available for online bookings. Irate would-be travellers who tried calling the company's call centres at 1800-388-8888 got no help - they were told that the call centres would only be operational from Sep 1.

Not surprisingly, many people who tried to book tickets yesterday felt frustrated.

'The website should have been better-prepared, pending such a major promotion,' said one traveller who tried numerous times to get through to the site. 'It was just a waste of time trying to access their site, which was not ready for the heavy traffic load. I give up.'

But in a statement late yesterday evening, Tiger Airways apologised for the 'frustration and inconvenience'.

'The problem with the website was caused by overwhelming public demand to visit and log on to the site, causing the system to become overburdened.'

'We are delighted by the enormous interest from the public to visit our site, learn more about us and to fly Tiger Airways. Clearly our marketing efforts have been extremely successful, but we have become a victim of our own success,' the statement said.

It added that it was currently improving its website and said many travellers had 'already successfully booked their tickets' to the three Thai destinations.

'We encourage customers to continue to try to book flights, as we are confident the online traffic will slow this evening, allowing easier access tonight and over the next few days.'

Besides the $1 offer, all other Tiger Airways tickets are priced at a tiered structure, ranging from $40 to $140 for one-way travel to Thailand (excluding fees, insurance and taxes), which puts it within the same band as some of its competitors.

Tiger Airways' competitors are taking promotional fares offered by Singapore's newest budget carrier in their stride.

'We welcome any player which will help to grow the industry,' said Nilesh Pritam, Valuair's spokesman.

'More importantly, once the hype is over, travellers will start making considered judgments about the airlines they want to fly with. We're not in competition with Tiger Airways as we have a different product that while charges affordable fares, also comes with some of the frills thrown in.'

Valuair currently charges $138 for a return ticket to Bangkok, while Thai AirAsia's return ticket costs $132.

But most observers expect a response from Tiger Airways' rivals. 'Tiger has thrown down the gauntlet,' said Shukor Yusoff of S&P Asia MarketScope.

'We could see some of the others dropping their fares.'

In fact, Thai AirAsia, a joint venture between Malaysia's AirAsia and Thailand's Shin Corp, has already said it would drop its Singapore-Bangkok return fares to $40 in October.

The question in many observers' minds is how long this battle can be sustained.

Copyright © 2004 Singapore Press Holdings Ltd. All rights reserved.

Last edited by babystan03; September 1st, 2004 at 10:21 AM.
babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2004, 05:15 AM   #339
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Likes (Received): 1830

Quote:
Originally Posted by huaiwei
There is a market to Medan? I have the impression that it only a niche group of travellors on that sector...something which budget carriers cant really survive on alone?

Hmmm....That's what I tot when AirAsia flew to Medan and Bandung. Like David-80 had said, there are quite a lot of travellers to and from these cities......esp Medan-Penang flights as Penangites are majority Hokkiens too
Old September 1st, 2004, 12:24 PM   #340
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

According to the Tiger Airways website, all S$1 tickets have sold out

http://www.tigerairways.com/