daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 29th, 2004, 09:16 AM   #481
heirloom

Likes (Received): 2

why are tickets so much more expensive to purchase in perth?
heirloom no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 29th, 2004, 11:40 AM   #482
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Likes (Received): 4

Wat's the exchange rate between A$ and S$?

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2004, 12:54 PM   #483
heirloom

A$1= roughly SGD1.24
Old October 29th, 2004, 02:34 PM   #484
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Business Times - 29 Oct 2004

Electrical fault delays Tiger Airways flight

SINGAPORE -Tiger Airways had to delay its morning flight from Bangkok to Singapore on Friday because of an electrical fault with the aircraft. A replacement part was sent to Bangkok to ensure the aircraft can operate safely.

Tiger CEO, Patrick Gan, said the airline will not compromise the safe operation of its aircraft simply to keep to schedule.

He said that although Tiger is the region's low cost carrier, that doesn't mean it will compromise on safety.

Copyright © 2004 Singapore Press Holdings Ltd. All rights reserved.
babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2004, 06:27 PM   #485
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Time is GMT + 8 hours
Posted: 29 October 2004 2148 hrs

Passengers up in arms over cancellation of Tiger Airways flight
By Pearl Forss, Channel NewsAsia

SINGAPORE : There was a whole plane load of disgruntled passengers at Changi Airport on Friday morning when a Tiger Airways flight to Bangkok was cancelled.

Some of them called Channel NewsAsia's news hotline.

This is the airline's first major hitch since its first flight in September, and many of the 180 passengers say they had expected better service.

The passengers were generally unhappy because their 8.15 am flight to Bangkok was cancelled.

Some say they had been waiting since 6 am and received mixed explanations.

One passenger said, "At first they were saying there weren't sufficient passengers on the flight, and then the next explanation was that it was a technical problem and the plane was still in Bangkok."

Tiger Airways says the flight was cancelled because of an electrical fault with the aircraft, which was still in Bangkok.

A replacement part had to be sent over before it eventually took off for Singapore.

But the passengers' main gripe was not the cancellation but rather the poor customer service.

Said a passenger, "The customer service was telling us that we are a budget airline and just too bad if you are not going to accept."

Another said, "They should have someone here to explain what's going on but we waited for 45 minutes before we saw anybody."

And a third passenger said, "Even though we paid budget fair for budget service, we didn't pay a budget fare for no service."

On his part, Tiger Airways CEO Patrick Gan said, "I understand very well that they are upset. For the company's policy, we have tried very hard to mitigate the situation that they are in. We try to get them onto flights, we give them full refunds. Even though we are a low-budget carrier, we will not compromise the safety of the passenger on this basis."

Twenty-four passengers accepted refunds while the remaining 156 were put on the afternoon flight, which was already full.

This meant passengers from the afternoon flight had to be pushed to the night flight, resulting in more complaints.

"I am being pushed to the night flight, I think its very unreasonable. As a matter of fact I think it's a stupid solution. I think it's not a solution at all; you are creating a chain of problems," one of them said.

"Tiger Airways, as subsidiary of Singapore Airlines, I really didn't expect it. It's really bad," said another passenger.

The domino-effect of the cancellation affected a total of 304 passengers.

In May, another budget carrier Valuair's inaugural flight to Jakarta did not take off because it had not secured proper landing rights from the Indonesian authorities.

Passengers had to be transferred to Garuda instead. - CNA

Copyright © 2004 MCN International Pte Ltd
Old October 29th, 2004, 08:25 PM   #486
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Hahahaa......I love that comment that "Tiger Airways...as part of Singapore Airlines....I dont expect this at all!"

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
Old October 30th, 2004, 03:01 AM   #487
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Oct 30, 2004
Counting the cost of a cheap flight
No soap, used tissues on seats would be OK with some if the price is right
By Karamjit Kaur
Transport Correspondent

I'M NOT a fussy traveller but I do expect some basics when I fly, which is not very often - maybe two or three times a year.

For example, if I want some extra time for duty-free shopping, it's nice to know my confirmed seat will be waiting when I board the aircraft.

If I'm travelling with family and friends, I'd like to sit with them, thank you.

When I use the toilet in the air, there had better be enough soap, tissue and toilet paper.

And I really don't fancy having to clear up other people's used tissues and empty mineral water bottles just because someone didn't do a good job of cleaning the aircraft.

You see, for me, a holiday is something to look forward to and the experience starts the moment I get into a cab and head for the airport.

So, yes, I baulked when I was handed the assignment of testing out the service of each of the three budget airlines. The idea of having to fight for a seat alarmed me.

So I was ready to give extra points not just for 'cheap' but, especially, for 'good'.

I would cross off Thai Air Asia immediately, because of the discomfort from being wedged in a stuffy bus between terminal and aeroplane. The other two airlines, thankfully, use aerobridges.

Fussy? Hey, I wasn't the only uncomfortable passenger looking to breathe well for 15 minutes.

If the price is right, I guess I can tolerate some discomfort.

After paying for food - Valuair provides a free meal but the other two airlines make you pay - the cheapest was Tiger Airways . I paid $140 (plus $15 more for food) for a round trip to Bangkok, excluding airport taxes and surcharges.

On AirAsia, the fare was $170 and food cost an additional $10.

Valuair was the most expensive at $220 for a round-trip fare - $65 more than the cheapest deal, counting meals.

Still, I would pay the difference to fly Valuair because I think the extra $65 - $32.50 per flight I paid for better service, a cleaner aircraft and more leg room - was worth it.

The seat pitch for Valuair is 81.3cm, while the other two airlines pack in more passengers per aircraft, so there is less space - 73.6cm.

Cheap airlines which clean their own planes are unlikely to find a customer in me. A mid-level carrier like Valuair probably will.

When I tested the three airlines, I also found the Valuair girls friendlier and willing to go the extra mile for passengers.

On the flight to Bangkok, the chief stewardess offered to help me check with airport ground staff on excess baggage charges. The stewardess for another airline merely suggested that I check with ground staff after landing. To me, such intangibles matter in making the flight a more pleasant one.

Still, I don't have a money plant growing at home so there is a limit to how much more I would pay for the extra comfort.

If it cost me $200 more to fly Valuair compared with the other airlines, then maybe I would put up with no soap in the toilets and used tissues on my seat cover.

After all, it's just a two-hour flight, right?

Bottom line is, every traveller is different. For some, cost is all that matters. Others want more.

It would be ideal of course if an airline could be both cheap and good, but from my experience, getting a combination of both is tough.

Clearly, airlines are not aspiring to be all things to all people either.

For Tiger Airways and Air- Asia, the mantra is low fares, low fares, low fares. They believe that for short flights of up to five hours, nothing else matters to the traveller.

So if aerobridges are too expensive, they'll put passengers on buses and get the cabin crew to clean aircraft. For a cheap ticket, passengers shouldn't be complaining that 'cleaners' miss a used tissue or two.

Valuair thinks differently. Singapore Airlines veteran Lim Chin Beng, who started the airline, is convinced that Asians especially, want more service and, in return, are willing to pay more.

He appears to be right.

AirAsia which has been around longer is more popular with Caucasians and its planes are full.

Having done all their market surveys and studies, the airlines are taking a gamble, hoping that they know the traveller best.

If more passengers were like me, then I guess we wouldn't mind paying a bit more for a bit more comfort. Just remember that, even as Asians enjoy a good flying experience, there's a limit to what we will pay for.

Copyright © 2004 Singapore Press Holdings. All rights reserved.
Old October 30th, 2004, 09:15 AM   #488
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloom
A$1= roughly SGD1.24
Hmmmm....if we factor in the exchange rate..will the prices end up almost similar anyway?

Old October 30th, 2004, 09:31 AM   #489
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by huaiwei
Hmmmm....if we factor in the exchange rate..will the prices end up almost similar anyway?
SIN-PER from S$350 (excluding tax and surcharges of approx S$145)
PER-SIN from AUD399 (excluding tax and surcharge of approx AUD115)

From perth it's more expensive.......

AUD399 + AUD115 = AUD514 = S$637

From Singapore,

S$350 + S$145 = S$495
Old October 30th, 2004, 11:39 AM   #490
heirloom

uh the exchange rate only widens the gulf..
Old October 30th, 2004, 11:59 AM   #491
Drunkill
Lord Melbourne

Likes (Received): 1011

Its because the Australian government has a big leaving tax, to discourage people to go overseas (what government would want there people spending money in other countries for?) so yeah. And plus, might be a bit cheaper because it is a Singaporeian airline, i wonder if Virgen Blue, or Jetstar (2 Cheap air services in Aus) will try and fly there. hope they do.
Old October 30th, 2004, 05:10 PM   #492
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Competitors of budget airlines.......luxury coach.......

Business Times - 30 Oct 2004

Riding on air in Aeroline coach

By CHEAH UI-HOON

ONCE upon a time, there were 'Economy' bus services from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur, which then became Executive coaches, and which were followed quickly by Super and Super VIP categories. The novelty for 'luxury' coach travel then became double deckers but now, one Malaysian coach company has upped the comfort and gadget stakes for business travellers.

Aeroline's 'First Class' coach service has services that you won't even get on some airlines, like massage seats and power sockets for laptop use and recharging mobile phones. And what's more, the Scandinavian coach has quite a hip exterior (you'll notice motoring fans checking out the bus at pitstops on the North-South highway).

Taking a coach from Singapore to KL has been the preferred mode for frequent travellers for some time now - especially when the coaches depart from a hotel (instead of the Golden Mile area), leave on time (so you can get to KL in five hours), and use the Second Link.

Media members got a feel of what Aeroline's First Class ride was like when we took a road trip in the black and yellow bus to KL last weekend. Instead of plush seats, Aeroline's are like executive armchairs. Automated controls are given out to passengers to activate the massage systems in the chairs, roughly halfway through the journey.

For cushier comfort, there are sofas you can sink into at the lower deck which has a working table and a surround-sound entertainment system - good for groups who want to watch a DVD of their choice, or just chat or play cards.

The journey took exactly five hours - and it arrived at the four-star Corus hotel, which is literally, a couple of minutes walk to Avenue K, the newest shopping mall in town (which is partially opened this month, and is directly linked to KLCC and the KLCC LRT station).

What's even better is, Aeroline will soon have direct services to Petaling Jaya as well, besides just downtown KL.

If you're wondering how Aeroline compares with the Nice bus service, which is quite popular for its consistent standards of service from KL to Singapore, Aeroline's nifty online booking system - the best seen for coach travel so far - is in real time, and really works.

Aeroline will show a movie or two on the journey, which is either a blessing or a bane - depending on the show, and whether you prefer a quiet ride or not.

The basic but yummy Malaysian fare you currently get in Nice coaches is worth my vote though, and Aeroline should really try to stick to that tried-and-tested standard if it wants passengers comparing its service to air travel, but not aeroplane food.

Old October 31st, 2004, 06:08 AM   #493
heirloom

@drunkill
actually, if you check on zuji, booking any flight from australia is alot more expensive than booking from singapore.
Old November 1st, 2004, 07:27 AM   #494
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18149

Low-cost airlines take fight to BAA

CLAYTON HIRST
31 October 2004
Independent On Sunday

Ryanair and easyJet are preparing to challenge the proposed £3.5bn expansion of Stansted airport, claiming that it poses a threat to the low-cost airlines.

The two companies are outraged that airport operator BAA wants the airlines to fund the development through higher landing charges.

And they have accused BAA of "gold plating" its development proposals, claiming the expansion could be done for a tenth of the cost. The companies are seeking meetings with BAA executives to present their case and have also raised the issue with the regulator.

In a letter to the Civil Aviation Authority, easyJet says: "The planned development and financing of new runway capacity at Stansted completely ignores the reality. [It] does not take into account the crucial requirement for all low-cost airlines: a low-cost base. Any planned expenditure must not be allowed to run the risk of putting the airlines" future at Stansted in jeopardy."

A spokesman for Ryanair added: "The proposals are a complete nonsense. We will not allow them to go unchallenged."

BAA figures circulated to the airlines show that it intends to phase the development in three parts. BAA proposes to submit a planning application for phase one, which will cost up to £2bn, in 2006, with the development expected to be compete after 2012. The second and third phases, at £990m and £580m respectively, are not expected to be competed until 2020 and beyond.

It is thought that phase one would add around £2 to the average ticket price. But the low-cost airlines believe that they must absorb the costs themselves as customers would baulk at higher prices.

A BAA spokesman said: "Anyone who talks about us building a gold-plated facility with marble pillars is talking nonsense. The development will be designed to accommodate the low-cost airlines, but we also need to cater for future airport uses."

He added that the way BAA was regulated and financed would not enable the company to fund the Stansted expansion on a speculative basis.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2004, 07:42 AM   #495
perthwa

Likes (Received):

Valuair gets go-ahead for Perth/Singapore services
Perth Airport congratulates Valuair on being granted its Australian Air Operators Certificate (AOC) and International Airline Licence allowing the budget airline to begin services to Perth on 1st December 2004.

Valuair is the first budget carrier to commence services on the Perth Singapore route. Tickets go on sale from 31st October and it is expected that the airline will prove popular with leisure travellers.

Perth Airport and the State Government worked closely with Valuair to deliver this service to the Western Australian public, Perth Airport CEO Graham Muir said.

It is great news for Western Australians travelling to Singapore and great for WA tourism with the airline likely to generate more leisure travellers from Singapore to the state Mr Muir said.

It also provides further opportunity for travellers to great deals on connecting air fares to and from Valuairs other destinations including Bangkok, Jakarta and Hong Kong he said.

Valuair will operate daily services departing Perth at 23:55 arriving in Singapore at 05.30 and departing Singapore at 17:40 arriving into Perth at 23:05.

The airline will operate an Airbus A320 aircraft with 150 seats.
http://www1.perthairport.com/content.aspx?ContentID=294
Old November 1st, 2004, 10:19 AM   #496
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystan03
Competitors of budget airlines.......luxury coach.......

Business Times - 30 Oct 2004

Riding on air in Aeroline coach

By CHEAH UI-HOON

ONCE upon a time, there were 'Economy' bus services from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur, which then became Executive coaches, and which were followed quickly by Super and Super VIP categories. The novelty for 'luxury' coach travel then became double deckers but now, one Malaysian coach company has upped the comfort and gadget stakes for business travellers.

Aeroline's 'First Class' coach service has services that you won't even get on some airlines, like massage seats and power sockets for laptop use and recharging mobile phones. And what's more, the Scandinavian coach has quite a hip exterior (you'll notice motoring fans checking out the bus at pitstops on the North-South highway).

Comparison of the cost of going from Sg-KL by various transport

Coach (approximately 4-5 hours depending on traffic)
1. Aeroline coach - S$47
2. NICE bus - S$37
3. Coach from golden mile complex - S$23
4. Taking a bus from Rochor area to JB, then switch to a coach(in JB) to KL - S$12(economy class)/S$25(business class) (take 5.5 hours)

Bus stop in the city area.

Train(approximately 6.5 hours)
First class seats: S$68
Second Class seats: S$34

Train stops at KL sentral.

Airplane
1.SQ- MAS shuttle flight from Changi - S$152 (including tax, about 1 hour)
2.Airasia flight to KL from JB - S$42 (including tax, inclusive of transport from Sg-JB, about 3.5 hours)
3.MAS flight from JB - S$80 (inclusive of transport from Sg-JB,about 3.5 hours)

Airplanes land at KLIA. To go to city, one need to take express train to KL sentral costing approx S$15, taking 28 mins.

Base on the prices here, which mode of transport do you think you'll choose?? reason??
Old November 1st, 2004, 10:52 AM   #497
heirloom

aeroline coach i guess.. but if money were no object it'd be a flight from changi. who'd take the train? longest travel time and more expensive than coach.
Old November 1st, 2004, 11:10 AM   #498
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Likes (Received): 1828

Wah! Din know Aeroline upgraded the seats liao!

Looks so much nicer!

I think NICE coach would be good for me the next time I travel cos the difference isn't that great for the extra that you're paying on Aeroline. However I would still like to try out Aeroline's new seats

If I am travelling light I would change bus at Larkin JB and then the Causeway Link and later on the MRT. That would be slightly troublesome but it would be tremendously cheap ......plus the coaches you'll get at JB are also comfortable - 3 seats in a row!
Old November 1st, 2004, 11:17 AM   #499
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Here's some pictures of Aeroline:

These are taken in July last year......featuring its 'old' interior.

The new ones looks incredible!
Old November 1st, 2004, 11:18 AM   #500
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Here's a HAPPY passenger :