daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 17th, 2004, 08:03 AM   #541
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Likes (Received): 2

November 17, 2004

Tiger to fight for right to name in EU

CEO cites "strong case" in trademark row

By Chua Kong Ho

TIGER Airways' outgoing chief executive, Mr Patrick Gan (pictured), said that the carrier will not come to a private settlement with its UK namesake, which is contesting the former's trademark application in the European Union.

"We believe we have a very strong case," Mr Gan said in a telephone interview yesterday.

"Both companies have very different businesses. Also, one is here in Singapore and the other in the UK."

The Singapore carrier will pursue the application process to the "fullest", he added.

He was responding to comments by UK Tiger Airways co-owner Chris Rollings, who filed an opposition to the Singapore carrier's trademark application with the EU Office for Harmonisation of the Internal Market (Ohim).

Mr Rollings' comments were carried in a Streats report yesterday. He had told Streats that he hoped for a "substantial" settlement in return for which he would change the name of his business. The UK Tiger Airways operates a joyride business using vintage World War II Tiger Moth planes.

He also suggested that the Singapore carrier would be unable to trade using its name, including over the Internet, within the EU, should he succeed in getting its trademark application rejected.

He added that Mr Gan had previously tried to settle the matter but had offered too little compensation.

Mr Gan's remarks yesterday appeared to close the door on such a settlement.

It is not clear why Tiger Airways, which flies to Bangkok, Phuket and Hat Yai in Thailand, and is targeting the short-haul South-east Asian market, saw the need to trademark its name in the European Union.

Its parent Singapore Airlines flies to several destinations in Europe but has not trademarked its name in the EU.

Mr Gan, who is serving out his notice with the airline, told Streats that he has been busy preparing the handover of responsibilities to the incoming chief executive, Mr Tony Davis, who will move to Singapore sometime next month.

Copyright © Singapore Press Holdings, 2004. All rights reserved.
babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 17th, 2004, 08:16 AM   #542
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

SIA lowers it airfare from Singapore to Perth to S$328.....

http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/app/...currentSite=sg
Old November 17th, 2004, 08:56 AM   #543
heirloom

UHHUH stupid valuair should have started flying to perth earlier!!!
heirloom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2004, 01:49 AM   #544
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystan03
SIA lowers it airfare from Singapore to Perth to S$328.....

http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/app/...currentSite=sg
But they forever got strings attached one lah...need 2 to fly together right?

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2004, 01:52 AM   #545
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by huaiwei
But they forever got strings attached one lah...need 2 to fly together right?
Yes.....and the flight is at 1.15am......
Old November 19th, 2004, 01:54 AM   #546
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Yes.....and the flight is at 1.15am......
Muahaa!!!! that sounds like a budget flight timing!

Qantas is also slashing fares, but they insisted its due to their birthday bash..hahaa!

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
Old November 19th, 2004, 01:56 AM   #547
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
Muahaa!!!! that sounds like a budget flight timing!

Qantas is also slashing fares, but they insisted its due to their birthday bash..hahaa!
Haha.....birthday bash mair?? Then how to explain they(qantas) lower their fares to S$348 (Valuair S$350)?? Coincidence ah??

Last edited by babystan03; November 19th, 2004 at 02:01 AM.
Old November 19th, 2004, 02:01 AM   #548
huaiwei
The Monkey King

$348...hm....does it have limitations of any kind?

Old November 19th, 2004, 02:03 AM   #549
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
$348...hm....does it have limitations of any kind?
Not so sure about it.......but I think the offer is within a certain period only(ie for travel in January 2005).....
Old November 19th, 2004, 02:07 AM   #550
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Not so sure about it.......but I think the offer is within a certain period only(ie for travel in January 2005).....
Hahaa....as usual. I am really hoping Valuair can make a mark man.....especially with this Perth flight. The possibilities is enormous, and they better entrench themselves real quick before Jetstar Asia comes along. Jetstar said they will fly to Perth and Darwin right?

I dont think Tiger is a real menace actually...they seem more contented flying to closer destinations. Valuair might end up becoming strong in serving the slightly further, but still bigger markets, like Shanghai, HK, Perth, and maybe even to the Indian cities?

Old November 19th, 2004, 09:09 AM   #551
heirloom

i thought jetstar said they'd fly to taiwan / somewhere in philippines??
Old November 19th, 2004, 09:15 AM   #552
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 107

no offence..but would u guys wanna go to Perth? doesnt seem more interesting than Singapore
RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2004, 09:35 AM   #553
heirloom

i quote some car review in the business times

Quote:
"To say the new Opel Astra is striking is an understatement, considering what it used to look like. The old model was dowdy, depressing and about as tantalising as a free holiday in Perth. Any young person offered one by his parents would probably rather stick with the bus."
Old November 19th, 2004, 09:53 AM   #554
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
Hahaa....as usual. I am really hoping Valuair can make a mark man.....especially with this Perth flight. The possibilities is enormous, and they better entrench themselves real quick before Jetstar Asia comes along. Jetstar said they will fly to Perth and Darwin right?

I dont think Tiger is a real menace actually...they seem more contented flying to closer destinations. Valuair might end up becoming strong in serving the slightly further, but still bigger markets, like Shanghai, HK, Perth, and maybe even to the Indian cities?
Wah seem like you're really supportive of this underdog.......
Old November 19th, 2004, 12:27 PM   #555
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Business Times - 19 Nov 2004

Join Valuair for an Aussie BBQ

By VEN SREENIVASAN

(SINGAPORE) If you're into BBQs, beer and wine - though not necessarily in that order - then head on down to the Padang tomorrow.

Discount carrier Valuair has tied up with Tourism Western Australia, the Western Australian Department of Industry and Resources and Austrade to organise a massive Western Australian jamboree to promote its flights to Perth from next month.

Visitors to the day-long Padang party get to tuck into an Aussie BBQ complete with steak, sausages, seafood and Australian beer and wine, while watching the Wadumbah Aboriginal Dance Group perform. They can buy coupons at the Padang for $15, which will entitle two people to a BBQ platter and a glass of wine, beer or juice.

Australian High Commissioner Gary Quinlan will be guest-of-honour at the event.

A highlight is a BBQ competition judged by Perth-based celebrity master chef Chris Taylor. Winning teams walk away with Valuair tickets to Perth and custom-made plates autographed by chef Taylor, who will also demonstrate the finer points of cooking up a top-notch Aussie BBQ. Valuair chief executive Sim Kay Wee hopes the event will entice Singaporeans to take advantage of the airline's 'value-for-money fares to fly to Perth'.

To further promote Perth as Valuair's latest destination, the airline has tied up with NTUC FairPrice supermarkets to promote Western Australian food and wines from now until Dec 1 at all its 80 stores island-wide.

Perth is Valuair's fourth destination, after daily flights to Bangkok, Hong Kong and Jakarta. It will charge $350 for return tickets - about $100 below the regular fares charged by Singapore Airlines.

However, SIA has just slashed return fares on its 1am flights to Perth to $328, provided passengers travel in pairs. Qantas has also slashed its Singapore-Perth fares to $348 for those travelling in pairs.

Singaporeans account for almost 14 per cent of Western Australia's international arrivals. And most Singaporean visitors to Australia are repeat visitors.

Copyright © 2004 Singapore Press Holdings Ltd. All rights reserved.
Old November 22nd, 2004, 02:48 AM   #556
Monkey
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

Here is an update on EasyJet and Ryanair's ever expanding route networks - note Ryanair's belated expansion into the EU's 10 new member states. However it was EasyJet that moved fastest into this market and scooped up the best destinations:

Ryanair destinations:

EasyJet destinations:

The London perspective:

Ryanair from London Stansted:

EasyJet from London Luton:

EasyJet from London Stansted:

EasyJet from London Gatwick:

Last edited by Monkey; November 22nd, 2004 at 02:55 AM.
Monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2004, 02:01 PM   #557
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Wah seem like you're really supportive of this underdog.......
Yeah...I dunno why I am more supportive of them. Maybe its coz they are the only one not supported by some big company, and they are the pioneers really, without which I doubt the next 2 companies would have bothered!

Old November 23rd, 2004, 12:59 AM   #558
David-80
Le Nozze di Figaro...

I was thinking the same thing, I thought Valuair wouldnt survive but looks now the best performer in Singapore budget airlines.

The biggest mistake tiger made is by choosing BKK and several cities in Thailand as their starter point, the SIN - BKK is extremely peaked, Phuket and other cities are already served by Silk air, which is also owned by SIA.....

Also, the way the tickets sold, with using only singaporean Bank credit cards. Plus their website isnt using Thai as the 2nd option. Still they launched their 1st route to Thailand....thats why they are losing the thai market

Jetstar is learning this and we'll see how they goes

Cheers
Old November 23rd, 2004, 02:29 AM   #559
Monkey
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

Michael O'Leary's forecast "bloodbath" in the European budget aviation sector seems to have started with Italian budget carrier Volare going bankrupt:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4032903.stm
http://buy.volareweb.com/jsp/web/index.jsp?lang=en
Monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2004, 03:11 AM   #560
huaiwei
The Monkey King

something I wanna find out...how is it the companies find it profitable to almost multiple their route networks by 2 or 3 flying to approximately the same destinations from each airport in London?