daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 30th, 2005, 05:16 PM   #821
Solblanc
hot

Likes (Received): 314

but fare-hunting is fun!

Sponsored Links
Old March 30th, 2005, 05:20 PM   #822
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Likes (Received): 4

Haha...but I am surprised people dont get sick of all these gimmicks. I prefer prices to be upfront, and dont tweak even by the second. I once did try to get tickets to HK, and I was quite irritated by the experience. I saw my friends going through worse esperiences. I suppose $$ matters more for most people when it comes to flying from point A to point B thou. Sickening budget carriers.

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2005, 05:52 PM   #823
Solblanc
hot

well, my cousin is a travel agent, so I let her find the cheap fares for me on nice, full-service carriers To Singapore and Jakarta, however, I have only PAL and SIA to choose from, and it would be nice to have a cheaper alternative if I want to make an impromptu trip to my friend's place in Jakarta out of whim
Old March 30th, 2005, 06:26 PM   #824
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18129

EasyJet 'winning battle' with fuel prices
23 March 2005
Irish Independent

BUDGET airline EasyJet says it is winning the battle to shield its profits from soaring fuel prices.

Investors expressed relief that operating margins during the six months to March 31 would be broadly in line with last year.

Oil is currently 50pc more expensive than a year ago and the past six months have seen the cost of crude set a string of new records, culminating in a high of above US$57 a barrel.

Chief executive Ray Webster said: "The price of fuel remains high and volatile. In spite of this, operating margins for the period are expected to be broadly in line with last year."

In a trading statement ahead of its interim results on May 24, EasyJet said it expected to carry 24pc more passengers than a year ago as its European expansion pays off.

The company - founded by Greek colourful entrepreneur Stelios Haji-Iannou - will pass a milestone next month when it receives its 100th aircraft.

The airline now flies to 60 airports.

With Easter falling in the first half of this year, the company said total revenues per passenger were likely to rise by between 1pc and 2pc over the same period of 2004.

It also expected to have more than �600m on its balance sheet.

Mr Webster said trading conditions were currently stable, even though competition from smaller low-cost airlines and former flag-carriers was unlikely to diminish.

But the size of EasyJet meant that it was in a strong position to withstand trading pressures as it was able to generate more savings than its competitors.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2005, 12:32 AM   #825
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Ryanair draws first blood in battle over pilots' web attack
Andrew Clark
30 March 2005
The Guardian

Pilots' leaders have accused Ryanair of an extraordinary attack on free speech in a high court battle over a website that contains anonymous criticisms of the airline by some of its employees.

The Irish low-cost carrier is trying to unmask the identity of pilots responsible for controversial remarks about its working practices on a message board run jointly by the British and Irish pilots' unions.

Ryanair has drawn first blood by securing an injunction from a Dublin judge that bans the unions from destroying the codenames used by pi lots on the Ryanair European Pilots' Association's website.

Jim McAuslan, general secretary of the British Airline Pilots' Association (Balpa), said: "We shall vigorously defend our position in refusing to divulge names of pilots who discuss with one another their problems and aspirations."

Pilots' unions are furious with Ryanair over its handling of training for pilots moving from older jets to new Boeing 737-800s, which have been introduced to modernise the airline's fleet.

Balpa claims pilots are being forced to pay the cost of retraining, with little alternative available to them other than redundancy.

Ryanair denies this. It says crew are merely being asked to sign five-year "bonds" which require them to pay back training costs if they leave the company.

It says the unions' website is being used to "threaten and intimidate" pilots who take up the offer of retraining and insists that it has not threat ened refusenik staff with redundancy.

Union leaders say confidentiality is crucial in the aviation industry. They point out that pilots use online forums to report safety concerns. If anonymity is jeopardised concerns may never be aired.

Ryanair has fought a series of battles over online message boards. Last year, an independent pilots' website deleted a thread containing comments about the airline following a threat of legal action.

Unions have attacked the airline for forcing trainee staff to pay for uniforms and for refusing to give them free in-flight meals.

Ryanair's director of person nel, Eddie Wilson, said the website had included posts from pilots suggesting "criminal activity" against the airline and its employees.

"We will not under any circumstances allow any of our pilots or people to become the victims of an organised campaign of intimidation," Mr Wilson said.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old March 31st, 2005, 11:09 AM   #826
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Sick. Garuda dosent fly to Manila?

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
Old March 31st, 2005, 11:55 AM   #827
Solblanc
hot

nope, they codeshare with PAL. And even if Garuda did ply the route (which they will do soon), I've heard some... well, interesting stories about Garuda, so if I'm gonna put myself through that much discomfort, I might as well be nationalistic and patronize my own flag carrier
Old March 31st, 2005, 12:11 PM   #828
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Likes (Received): 2

Business Times - 31 Mar 2005

Valuair may lease bigger planes: chairman

(SINGAPORE) VALUAIR, a Singapore-based budget carrier, said it may lease larger aircraft to fly to destinations of up to eight or nine hours from the island state as it seeks to expand its route network.

The airline is currently examining twin-aisle aircraft options including Airbus SAS A300-600s, A330s and A340s, Mr Lim said. Valuair currently flies four Airbus A320 planes.

'We're doing valuations of various aircraft types and the economics for operations,' Valuair chairman Lim Chin Beng told reporters yesterday. 'But it's a very tight market' for aircraft. He didn't say when a decision will be made, or which long-distance routes the airline plans to fly.

Valuair, the first Singapore-based budget airline, currently flies to Jakarta, Bangkok, Hong Kong and Perth, Australia. The airline, which began flying in May last year, faces competition in Asia from Tiger Airways, controlled by Singapore Airlines and Jetstar Asia, operated by Australia's Qantas Airways, which are also both based in Singapore.

Valuair also plans to start flying to cities in China next month and is also interested in operating services to India, Mr Lim said. 'We need to expand faster,' he said, adding that the carrier may add A320s to its fleet. - Bloomberg

Copyright © 2005 Singapore Press Holdings Ltd. All rights reserved.
babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2005, 10:12 AM   #829
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solblanc
nope, they codeshare with PAL. And even if Garuda did ply the route (which they will do soon), I've heard some... well, interesting stories about Garuda, so if I'm gonna put myself through that much discomfort, I might as well be nationalistic and patronize my own flag carrier
I first flew on Garuda way back sometime around 1990? Arent I brave?

Old April 1st, 2005, 03:09 PM   #830
David-80
Le Nozze di Figaro...

I flew Garuda and SQ everytime i travel from Melbourne to Jakarta. I dont have any problem at all with garuda. no such delay and great staff. The problem with Garuda is not their safety and services but their management. Garuda even have their own facility like SQ and MAS, called GMF. pretty impressive i would say, they always do D and C-check every month and the guys that worked there are brilliant.

cheers
Old April 2nd, 2005, 09:46 PM   #831
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Airport welcomes first of Ryanair"s new Liverpool fleet
1 April 2005
Daily Post (Liverpool)

LIVERPOOL John Lennon Airport yesterday welcomed the arrival of the first of four new Ryanair planes to be based there.

The new Boeing 737-800 is flying the two latest routes the Irish budget airline is operating from the city - to Venice"s Treviso airport and Murcia in Spain.

They are part of 11 new routes announced last November by the airline when it named Liverpool as its latest European hub airport.

A team of airport firefighters formed a guard of honour as the jet touched down from Dublin to douse it in an arc of spray.

The launch of the latest two routes will help create and sustain over 1,000 jobs in the Liverpool area.

Liverpool JLA managing director Neil Pakey said: "Ryanair"s commitment is a clear "coming of age" for Liverpool John Lennon airport, bringing an additional one million passengers through the airport next year.

Old April 3rd, 2005, 12:42 PM   #832
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Haha...dont fight dont fight.

At least the two airlines codeshare ok?

Old April 3rd, 2005, 04:28 PM   #833
David-80
Le Nozze di Figaro...

LOL, nah, i was giving my impression about garuda, its often people said they bad, judging by only one flight with them.

But anyway, a trivia for you dude, whos behind this LCC ban into 4 cities in Indonesia?

cheers
Old April 4th, 2005, 04:57 AM   #834
huaiwei
The Monkey King

One flight. I took 4 I think....but I dont think I had major problems with it? I was too young to care!

Wooo......tell me tell me! Habibi?

Old April 4th, 2005, 02:48 PM   #835
David-80
Le Nozze di Figaro...

Answer : Last time i heard ...the guy who sue CAAS!

cheers
Old April 4th, 2005, 04:00 PM   #836
Solblanc
hot

him again? Isn't there enough drama in his life as it is?
Old April 4th, 2005, 04:58 PM   #837
David-80
Le Nozze di Figaro...

LOL, his affiliates company is losing so much money, the tickets were sold until more than 20,000 tickets. So thats why.
My prediction is maybe hes failed to sue, then hes trying another way.

the airlines that benefits by the banned policy are surely Valuair, AirAsia (both airasia malaysia and Indonesia) then.. SIA.

But the good news is for jetstar and tiger, the ban is likely temporary because the transport minister is likely to resign soon, because hes going to be elected as a leader of a local party in Indonesia.

cheers
Old April 4th, 2005, 05:10 PM   #838
Solblanc
hot

poor Jetstar... nothing seems to be going right so far

I have high hopes for them, though. I want them to be able to take me to India!!
Old April 5th, 2005, 01:01 PM   #839
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Wakaoz.....

Seriously why would he have so much clout in the Indon affairs? Can he influence governmental decisions?

Old April 5th, 2005, 04:01 PM   #840
David-80
Le Nozze di Figaro...

everything is very possible in Indonesia.

I think the reason why he can influence the government is because the media in Jakarta seems reporting it like a serious problem between the authorities in SG and Indonesia. It was about unfair treatment by the CAAS to Indonesian airline and yada yada..

but they forgot if many Indonesian airlines are getting easy access to SG. Such as merpati, GA, lion air, star air, Bouraq and even Riau airlines.

LOL..its ironic rite?

cheers