daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 10th, 2005, 12:38 AM   #901
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18204

easyJet shares rise on passenger growth, upgrade
By Michael Smith

LONDON, May 9 (Reuters) - Shares in British low-cost airline easyJet rose to near one-year highs on Monday after strong April passenger numbers and a broker upgrade offset lingering concerns about low fares and fuel costs.

EasyJet said passenger numbers rose 25.2 percent in April from a year earlier to 2.44 million, more than some analysts expected as the figures excluded the busy Easter break which fell in March this year.

Brokerage Smith Barney, the research arm of Citigroup, upgraded its rating on easyJet and also on rival Ryanair to "buy" from "hold".

EasyJet shares rose 3.2 percent to 239-1/2 pence by 0832 GMT, just off February's one-year high, as the stock claws back from heavy losses a year ago following a profit warning and fears of a consumer slowdown.

"We continue to believe that the low-cost airlines will be able to weather any such storm, as they will attract the more price conscious consumer who is trading down from the full service carrier," stockbrokers NCB told clients in a note. EasyJet said it was not changing its guidance prior to half-year results on May 24.

"Taking into account the effect of Easter falling in March rather than April this year, underlying market conditions have remained unchanged," Chief Executive Ray Webster said in a statement.

EasyJet has expanded aggressively in the past 12 months on short-haul European routes but remains under pressure from falling fares amid stiff competition and high fuel costs.

In March, the airline signalled a rise in first-half revenues per passenger and said operating margins were steady.

The airline said its April load factor -- an indication of how many seats it has filled on flights -- was 85.2 percent, 3.6 percentage points higher than a year earlier.

UK regional airline Flybe, which flies different routes to easyJet, said on Monday its April passenger numbers rose 29 percent to 407,000 after expanding its network

Low-cost rival Ryanair last week reported a 24 percent jump in passengers in April.

British Airways said last week April traffic was near flat because the timing of Easter drove down leisure travel, although first and economy class business soared.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 10th, 2005, 11:44 AM   #902
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystan03
Flock?? Got so many people going Philippines???
Well I have no idea, but it seems like Maid employers here are probably utilising these airlines to send their maids back home for short return trips?

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 11:50 AM   #903
Solblanc
hot

Likes (Received): 319

not just that, we have lots of cheapskates here who want to visit Singapore After all, Manila has a very large population, even if a good number live under the poverty line.
Old May 10th, 2005, 12:04 PM   #904
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Do you consider yourself as one of them?

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
Old May 11th, 2005, 07:27 AM   #905
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Likes (Received): 2

Valuair flight to Hongkong......

babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2005, 11:26 AM   #906
huaiwei
The Monkey King

One of the staff looks like she is slouching away!

Old May 11th, 2005, 01:38 PM   #907
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Likes (Received): 2

^

Maybe it's because it's not very crowded at the counter.......
babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2005, 07:54 PM   #908
Solblanc
hot

Well, I've seen worse

@huaiwei: not yet... maybe when I start working, but until then, full-service airlines are the way to go while I'm still subsidized by my parents I am taking a ryanair flight to brussels tomorrow, though. I'm strangely excited, as its gonna be my first time on a narrowbody even on short flights, I've always taken widebodied aircraft.
Old May 11th, 2005, 09:18 PM   #909
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Well at least you get "sponsorship"! I have to pay my way now, as I will be doing next week. Enjoy your first "narrowflight" tomorrow, and do tell us your experience once you are able. Bon voyage!

Old May 11th, 2005, 11:07 PM   #910
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Lithuania woos Ireland's Ryanair

VILNIUS, May 11 (AFP) - The Lithuanian transport ministry said Wednesday it would hold talks starting this week with Ryanair in hopes that the Irish low-cost airline would begin service to the Baltic state.

"Lithuania has done all it can and hopes that Ryanair will put forward proposals on the beginning of operations," said Vidmantas Kairys, head of the civil aviatian department at the transport ministry.

"We hope that Ryanair will open flights to at least one destination this year and that flights will be conducted every day," he added.

A Ryanair delegation, headed by Bernard Berger, head of the carrier's new flight development department, is due to arrive in Lithuania on Friday.

Lithuania in February sent letters to eight low-cost European airlines inviting them to begin service to the Baltic state, but only received a reply from Ryanair.

Ryanair earlier had expressed interest in serving the Baltic state and had been in negotiations with Lithuanian officials.

But the talks failed because, according to Lithuanian officials, Ryanair was asking for a disguised fee to enter the Lithuanian market.

The transport ministry said Wednesday it was ready to provide the necessary infrastructure for Kaunas airport, where Ryanair's flights would be based.

The ministry also said it would organize public transport from Vilnius, the capital, to Kaunas, the second-largest city, some 100 kilometers (60 miles) away.

The announcement of the talks with Lithuania came on the same day as a French court ruled that funds given to Ryanair by the chamber of commerce in the southwest French city of Pau were illegal, demanding the cancellation of the aid package.

The ruling was the latest in a series of court decisions against Ryanair, which has received subsidies from regional and local governments across western Europe in a bid to encourage the airline to fly to smaller cities.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old May 12th, 2005, 06:35 AM   #911
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Ryanair London-Pau route aid judged illegal by regional court
11 May 2005

PAU, France (AFX) - Aid awarded to low-cost airline Ryanair Holdings PLC by the Pau-Bearn Chamber of Commerce for its London to Pau, southwest France, route has been judged illegal by the Pau administrative tribunal which has ruled the aid must be cancelled, court sources said.

'The decision which approved financial aid to the benefit of Ryanair without prior notification to the European Commission is illegal and should be cancelled,' the tribunal said in its ruling.

Charter airline Air Mediterranee sought a ruling by the tribunal in September 2003 because it believed the aid amounted to unfair competition against its own route between London and Tarbes-Lourdes.

The tribunal said in its judgement that the Pau Chamber of Commerce gave Ryanair 80,000 eur to open its London Stansted-Pau route in 2003, then 11 eur per Ryanair passenger, up to an annual ceiling of 400,000 eur.

Ryanair also benefited from advantageous landing tariffs, the tribunal said.

The tribunal said the agreement between the Chamber of Commerce and Ryanair must be 'cancelled' or 'rescinded' within two months of the ruling, or face a fine of 1,000 eur per day.

Old May 12th, 2005, 05:06 PM   #912
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Pilot in new bid to jail Ryanair boss and have assets seized
John Maddock
11 May 2005
Irish Independent

A NEW application will be made to the High Court tomorrow to jail Ryanair chief executive Michael O'Leary for allegedly failing to restore a senior pilot to flying duties.

Leave was given by Mr Justice Barry White late yesterday to lawyers for pilot John Goss to bring an application tomorrow for the attachment and committal of Mr O'Leary and two other executives with the company. An order is also being sought for the sequestration of the assets of Ryanair.

A fortnight ago, an application to jail Mr O'Leary and Ryanair's director of flight and ground operations David O'Brien was deferred when the judge found that a secretary within the company rather than they personally had been served with notice of contempt proceedings.

It was submitted then that Ryanair had breached an order made in February restraining the airline from conducting a disciplinary hearing with him.

But at the April 27 hearing, Mr Justice White granted a mandatory injunction compelling Ryanair to reinstate Capt Goss to his flying duties.

Under the injunction, the company was restrained from suspending him from his duties or preventing him from flying or interfering with his ability to comply with his aviation licence requirements.

The company had told Mr Goss in a letter of April 12 that in its view it was sensible and operationally appropriate that he should not engage in full-time duties and he was suspended on full pay until a court hearing fixed for May 31 and any subsequent disciplinary process was concluded.

Yesterday, Hugh Mohan SC, for Mr Goss, said that regretfully his client still had not been rostered to fly.

There had been a meeting following the April 12 judgment.

Mr Goss now claims Ryanair is in contempt of the April 27 court order and is seeking the attachment and committal of Mr O'Leary, Mr O'Brien and the company's chief pilot, Ray Conway.

The judge was told at the conclusion of yesterday's hearing that two letters had been received from the company yesterday seeking to dissuade yesterday's application going ahead.

Old May 12th, 2005, 06:19 PM   #913
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Lithuania govt says Ryanair to start flights to Kaunas this autumn
11 May 2005

VILNIUS (AFX) - Lithuania intends to invite Ryanair Holdings PLC to start low-cost flights to Kaunas airport this autumn, the Transport Ministry said.

It said a delegation from the Irish budget airline, headed by Benny Berger, director of the new flights development department, is to arrive in Lithuania on Friday.

Ryanair is expected to introduce at least one daily service by the end of this year, according to the statement from the Transport Ministry.

Old May 13th, 2005, 04:07 AM   #914
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Ryanair shareholders approve $4 billion Boeing buy

DUBLIN, May 12 (Reuters) - Ireland's Ryanair shareholders gave the thumbs up on Thursday for Europe's top no-frills airline to proceed with its planned buy of $4 billion worth of new planes from Boeing Co. .

Shareholders approved the plans following an extraordinary general meeting (EGM) at Ryanair's Dublin headquarters after the company announced in February that it had ordered 70 Boeing 737-800 aircraft and had taken options to buy 70 more.

The purchase forms part of the carrier's plan to expand aggressively in Europe, particularly in Spain and Italy, so as to achieve its goal of becoming Europe's largest airline within seven years.

Old May 14th, 2005, 07:19 PM   #915
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Ryanair's O'Leary denies being in contempt of court
13 May 2005
Irish Times

Ryanair chief executive Michael O'Leary denied an allegation in the High Court yesterday that he was in contempt of a previous court order in relation to a pilot who claims the company has failed to restore him to flying duties.

Mr O'Leary, in an affidavit, said he absolutely rejected the contempt allegation and said there was no basis for his attachment or committal to prison or for the sequestration of the company's assets.

He said the previous court order specifically did not prevent Ryanair from making decisions about the suitability of the pilot, John Goss, to fly on bona fide safety grounds.

Mr Goss has brought an application to jail three Ryanair executives for alleged contempt: Mr O'Leary; the director of flight and ground operations, David O'Brien; and the company's chief pilot, Ray Conway.

The airline told Mr Goss in a letter of April 12th last that it was sensible and operationally appropriate that he should be suspended on full pay until a court hearing previously fixed for May 31st and any subsequent disciplinary process were concluded.

In submissions yesterday, senior counsel Hugh Mohan, for Mr Goss, said that since earlier proceedings, his client had not been put back on flying duties.

In his affidavit, Mr O'Leary said he rejected the allegations by Mr Goss that he was attempting to thwart or breach the court order.

Also in an affidavit, Mr O'Brien said he had no hand, act or part in the decision to stand down Mr Goss from the flying duties for which he had been rostered.

Mr Justice White at the end of yesterday's hearing commented: "I have observed Mr O'Leary chewing on a biro from time to time. Is that indicative of stress on the part of Mr O'Leary or lack of respect for this court? Please get instructions."

Richard Nesbitt SC in reply said: "He understands absolutely the importance of this court and is entirely understanding of your lordship's powers and is fully respectful of the court."

The hearing continues today.

Old May 14th, 2005, 07:21 PM   #916
hkskyline
Hong Kong

BELGIAN PRESS: Ryanair Sued For EUR2.3 Million
13 May 2005

BRUSSELS (Dow Jones)--The French-speaking Belgian regional government is suing Ryanair Holdings (RYAAY) to recoup EUR2.3 million in aid, L'Echo reports.

The money was for the Irish low cost airline to set up a hub in the Belgian city of Charleroi. But since the European Commission judged the aid illegal last year, the region's Transport minister Andre Antoine told the newspaper that Ryanair must pay it back.

"If this payment doesn't happen, the Commission is going to ask the regional government to make the payment," the minister says.

Newspaper Web site: http://www.lecho.be

Old May 14th, 2005, 09:27 PM   #917
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Boeing And Ryanair Complete Pact For Boeing 737-800s
12 May 2005

SEATTLE (Dow Jones)--Ryanair Holdings plc. (RYAAY) shareholders approved the company's plan to buy 70 737-800 airplanes from Boeing Co. (BA).

In a press release Thursday, Boeing said the 70 planes are worth $4.6 billion at list prices, including technology that will lower takeoff noise at airports, reduce fuel burn by up to 4% and increase the distance the 737 can fly.

However, when the companies inked their deal in April, Ryanair said it negotiated a 10% discount and planned to pay around $3.57 billion for the 70 Boeing airplanes it ordered.

A Boeing spokesman said the company doesn't comment on what airlines pay, and representatives for the Dublin-based air carrier weren't immediately available.

In a filing at the time, the Irish carrier said the cost for each plane would be about $51 million, including the engine and some optional features. On its Web site, Boeing's list price for that model is $61.5 million to $69.5 million.

The airplanes are scheduled for delivery between 2008 and 2012, and the European low-cost airline has options for another 70 aircraft.

In its latest release, the aerospace company said Ryanair is its largest 737 customer outside the U.S.

Ryanair has ordered a total of 225 Boeing 737-800s to date, has received 82 since its first delivery in 1999, and now has 143 on backlog. The carrier plans to more than double its service and carry more than 70 million passengers by the 2011/2012 business year.

Boeing has $52.46 billion of revenue in 2004.

Old May 17th, 2005, 07:24 AM   #918
hkskyline
Hong Kong

easyJet chief executive steps down in boardroom reshuffle

LONDON, May 16 (AFP) - British low-cost airline easyJet said Monday that chief executive Ray Webster would be stepping down before his planned retirement in 2006.

Meanwhile, founder and major shareholder Stelios Haji-Ioannou was to rejoin the board as a non-executive director, the airline added in an official statement.

The airline said Webster -- who has been at the helm for almost 10 years -- decided that now was "the appropriate point in time for the company to identify and appoint a successor".

On the appointment of his successor, Webster would resign from the board and, up until November 30, 2006, would report to group chairman Colin Chandler.

"Given that he planned to retire in 2006, (Webster) felt the succession process should be accelerated. My fellow directors accept and support (his) decision even though we shall greatly miss his talents," Chandler said.

Commenting on his return to the board, Haji-Ioannou said he foresaw no major changes to his relationship with the airline he launched.

"By becoming a non-executive director myself, rather than operate through a representative on the board, I expect it to continue to be business as usual.

"I would like to stress that my role will be in a purely non-executive capacity, given my business commitments with the 14 other easy-branded businesses."

Old May 17th, 2005, 02:14 PM   #919
Solblanc
hot

okay, now that I've experienced no-frills air travel, I don't think I'd be willing to do it again. the entire ryanair flight seemed so... sad! the flight attendants seemed so bored with their lives. *shudder*
Old May 17th, 2005, 07:00 PM   #920
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Ryanair awards employees 3 pct pay rise
17 May 2005

LONDON (AFX) - Ryanair Holdings PLC, the Dublin-based no frills airline, said it has implemented a 3 pct pay increase backdated to April 1, 2005.

The move follows a round of direct negotiations with staff last month.

The 3 pct award applies to all staff groups across Europe who participated in the direct negotiations.

Consequently, it does not include the Dublin-based pilots.

'The door remains open to this group should they choose to avail of it,' Ryanair said.

The airline claims its employees enjoy better pay than its competitors.