daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 21st, 2004, 07:58 AM   #121
David-80
Le Nozze di Figaro...

Its full service like lion air, but their services and perfomance are way better than Lion air !

cheers

Sponsored Links
Old May 26th, 2004, 07:15 AM   #122
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Likes (Received): 2

Some co-ops may invest in Valuair

MAY 26, 2004

By Karamjit Kaur

SOME of the co-operatives under the National Trades Union Congress (NTUC) umbrella are considering putting their money into Valuair, Singapore's first budget airline.

In response to queries from The Straits Times, an NTUC spokesman said yesterday that labour chief Lim Boon Heng had facilitated a recent meeting between representatives of the interested co-operatives and the airline.

She would not say which of the 10 co-operatives were keen but added that the NTUC would not be involved in the negotiations.

The spokesman said: 'Co-operatives may invest in commercial companies, but the investment decision lies with the management and board of directors of each of the co-operatives.'

As for parent companies and their affiliated unions, investing in the airline is not an option, she said, adding that by law, unions are not allowed to invest in a company unless it is a trustee stock.

When contacted, both Mr Tan Kin Lian, who heads NTUC Income, and Ms Cecilia Tan, chief executive officer of NTUC Healthcare, said they were not keen on the venture.

The other eight co-operatives, including supermarket giant NTUC FairPrice, NTUC Denticare and NTUC Choice Homes, could not be reached for comment.

Valuair declined comment on the discussions.

The airline, which was registered in March last year, now has 14 shareholders, including its chairman, Mr Lim Chin Beng, and its three executive directors, Mr Arthur Lim, Mr Jimmy Lau and Ms Natasha Foong.

Other investors include lawyer Sat Pal Khattar, Hong Kong-based Wuthelam Holdings and Credit Suisse First Boston's managing director, Mr Chan Wai Kheong, who has invested in a personal capacity.

Securing funds has not been a problem for the airline so far but the same cannot be said for landing rights.

Valuair, which started flights to Bangkok and Hong Kong earlier this month, has run into turbulence in its dealings with the civil aviation authority in Indonesia.

It was forced to cancel its first flight to the Indonesian capital on May 10, when the aircraft was already on the tarmac at Changi Airport with passengers on board.

After two weeks, it is still locked in negotiations to secure landing rights in Jakarta.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright @ 2004 Singapore Press Holdings. All rights reserved.
babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2004, 04:01 AM   #123
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystan03
It was forced to cancel its first flight to the Indonesian capital on May 10, when the aircraft was already on the tarmac at Changi Airport with passengers on board.

After two weeks, it is still locked in negotiations to secure landing rights in Jakarta.
The flights are still stuck? This is really going to bleed the airline!

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2004, 04:08 AM   #124
Monkey
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

How large is Valuair's fleet? What aircraft do they fly?
Monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2004, 04:17 AM   #125
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey
How large is Valuair's fleet? What aircraft do they fly?
It has a "grand" total of two A320s as of today.

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
Old May 27th, 2004, 04:20 AM   #126
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 107

Here are the pics of them taken by heirloom. I havent tried any of these budget carriers but once I'm back I will definitely be taking full advantage!

RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2004, 04:46 AM   #127
Monkey
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by huaiwei
It has a "grand" total of two A320s as of today.
Thank you. I just looked on their website - I'm not too convinced by their budget airline credentials - they even serve meals! Sacrilege!! Meanwhile Ryanair are ordering their new Boeing 737's minus the reclining seats, window blinds, and seat-back pockets to save money. They will only have headrest cloths if an advertising sponsor pays for them!
Old May 27th, 2004, 05:07 AM   #128
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Qantas' budget airline set to take off here in Nov

MAY 27, 2004

Carrier expects to get operating licence within 3 months and will have 200 staff by November; it is now recruiting here

By Karamjit Kaur

QANTAS' new Singapore-based budget airline is likely to take to the skies in November and will have about 200 staff by then.

The airline, which has yet to be named, is 49.9 per cent owned by the Australian national carrier.

It expects to get its Singapore operating licence from the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS) within three months, said Qantas chief executive Geoff Dixon in Canberra, Australia yesterday, when he addressed the National Press Club there.

Other shareholders of the $100 million carrier are Temasek Holdings, which has a 19 per cent stake, and two Singapore businessmen - Mr Tony Chew, 57, who owns 21.1 per cent of the shares and Mr Wong Fong Fui, 60, who has the remaining 10 per cent.

By the time the airline starts operating, it should have about 200 staff, up from 20 now, said its chief operating officer, Mr Con Korfiatis, in response to queries from The Straits Times.

In the meantime, it is looking for people to join its team.

On Saturday, an advertisement was placed in The Straits Times seeking pilots and cabin crew.

Also wanted: a chief financial officer, a chief engineer and nine managers to take care of information technology, human resources and customer services, among other things.

Applications have started coming in and interviews will be conducted in the coming weeks, Mr Korfiatis said.

Like other budget carriers, the new airline plans to concentrate on the short-haul market and fly to places within five hours of Singapore.

But it is keeping mum on possible destinations.

It plans to start with four leased aircraft.

Its fleet will comprise of either Boeing 737-800s or Airbus A320s, and is expected to grow to more than 20 within three years.

In Singapore, the budget carrier will compete with Valuair - which started operating earlier this month with flights to Bangkok and Jakarta - and Tiger Airways, which Singapore Airlines has a stake in.

Temasek Holdings owns 11 per cent of Tiger, which is also looking to take off before the end of the year.

Competition will also come from Thai AirAsia - a joint venture between Malaysian budget carrier AirAsia and Thailand's Shin Corp - which now flies twice a day from Changi Airport to Bangkok.

The new carrier will be Qantas' second low-cost venture.

Jetstar, which services the Australian domestic market, started operating on Tuesday and competes head-on with Richard Branson's discount airline Virgin Blue.

Copyright @ 2004 Singapore Press Holdings. All rights reserved.
Old May 27th, 2004, 11:17 AM   #129
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey
Thank you. I just looked on their website - I'm not too convinced by their budget airline credentials - they even serve meals! Sacrilege!! Meanwhile Ryanair are ordering their new Boeing 737's minus the reclining seats, window blinds, and seat-back pockets to save money. They will only have headrest cloths if an advertising sponsor pays for them!
Hehe....but Valuair isnt the only budget airline which serves (simple) meals and have assigned seats (with leather).
Quote:
MEANWHILE, Mr Lim is holding on to his airline concept to see Valuair through, almost as if it was a talisman. The concept is modelled after successful United States budget carrier JetBlue, where some service is offered together at a relatively low fare.
Yeap...the lines dividing full-service and budget carriers are increasingly getting blurred as they try to practise market differentiation.

Old May 28th, 2004, 09:34 AM   #130
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Valuair plans new fund-raising

Business Times - 28 May 2004

SINGAPORE - Singapore's first budget airline, Valuair, is on the lookout for new investors as it beefs up its fledging route network, a spokesman said on Friday.

The company is also hopeful it will soon be able to secure landing rights in Jakarta, resolving an administrative dispute with Indonesian aviation authorities, spokesman Nilesh Pritam said.

The dispute prevented the planned launch of Valuair's service to Jakarta earlier this month. Ticket sales on the route have been suspended.

"We will be going out for a second round of fund-raising soon as we expand our operations," Mr Pritam said.

"We believe we're an attractive proposition, not just for investors but for strategic partners," he added.

Valuair began operating May 1 and serves Bangkok and Hong Kong from the city-state. It is one of several new or planned no-frills airlines that have rushed to establish operations in Singapore over the past year.

Mr Pritam said Valuair wants to add more routes by the end of the year, but did not name the planned destinations. Executives have previously said it may serve cities in southern China, Vietnam, India and Australia.

"We're looking to fly to high density destinations that are about five hours away. We would like to fly to a few more by end of the year," Mr Pritam said.

Unlisted Valuair was founded last year by Lim Chin Beng, a former executive at state-linked Singapore Airlines.

Its first round of fund-raising raised $33 million.

Copyright © 2004 Singapore Press Holdings Ltd. All rights reserved.
Old May 28th, 2004, 09:43 AM   #131
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

AirAsia, Temasek call off alliance talks

Business Times - 28 May 2004

Tony Fernandes doesn't rule out tie-up with Temasek after AirAsia goes public

By EDDIE TOH
IN KUALA LUMPUR

THE owner of Malaysia's AirAsia has halted talks with Singapore investment company Temasek Holdings because of disagreements over the valuation of the budget carrier ahead of its initial public offer in October.

AirAsia's chief executive officer Tony Fernandes said negotiations with Temasek ended because of 'expectations on price' and he is 'juggling a lot of balls' ahead of the IPO.

'I think Temasek is an excellent partner and I have very high regard for Madam Ho (Ching), who is a visionary,' he told reporters yesterday following the launch of a service for corporate clients.

He did not rule out the possibility of teaming up with Temasek after the IPO and would not give details of the IPO.

Contacted later, Temasek spokesman Eva Ho said: 'We don't comment on our business activities.'

Although details are sketchy, Temasek and AirAsia toyed with setting up a no-frills carrier in Singapore and considered a stake sale in the Malaysian parent to Temasek.

Analysts reckon AirAsia could be worth as much as US$1 billion as it seeks public funds to expand its fleet to 36 aircraft by 2005. The two-year-old airline now operates a fleet of 17 aircraft.

An analyst said another possible complication could be Temasek's interest in two new rivals to AirAsia. Temasek, the biggest single shareholder of Singapore Airlines, recently emerged as a minority shareholder of SIA unit Tiger Airways and Qantas Airways' Jetstar Asia.

The two new budget carriers have yet to take off.

Unlike national carrier Malaysian Airlines, AirAsia won't slap surcharges on passengers to help offset rising fuel costs. Mr Fernandes said yesterday AirAsia has hedged fuel purchases until 2007 and will remain profitable even if jet fuel hits US$60 per barrel from US$44 yesterday. 'It will make other airlines cry,' he quipped.

Mr Fernandes also said AirAsia will continue to lower fares for its fast-rising passenger base. The number of passengers could hit 4 million in its next financial year ending June 2005, from 3.2 million in the current financial year.

However, he said he is still frustrated by the Singapore Transport Ministry's refusal to allow a direct bus service between the Republic and Senai Airport in Johor.

Singapore 'should be supporting us in Senai' for channeling more tourists to Singapore, he said.

Copyright © 2004 Singapore Press Holdings Ltd. All rights reserved.
Old May 28th, 2004, 10:24 AM   #132
Monkey
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by huaiwei
Hehe....but Valuair isnt the only budget airline which serves (simple) meals and have assigned seats (with leather).

Yeap...the lines dividing full-service and budget carriers are increasingly getting blurred as they try to practise market differentiation.
"Relatively low fares"? Nah we want them cheap! There are countless airlines with a direct-booking website and a funky logo that masquerade as "no-frills" but only a few (like Ryanair) that actually live up to the hype. I'm not interested in these fake budget airlines - they don't understand what the revolution is all about. They are still half-clinging on to the days of airline glamour with pretty hostesses sashaying down the aisles distributing service on the house (on your airline ticket price). What I want is a no-frills airbourne bus service. I'm a low fares fundamentalist!!

Jet Blue's prices are more than double Ryanair's over comparable distances.
Old May 28th, 2004, 10:29 AM   #133
heirloom

i agree!
heirloom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2004, 11:45 AM   #134
DiggerD21
spaghetti polonaise

Likes (Received): 1356

Ryanair is popular for it´s low fares, but often tax are not included.

German budget airlines:
Hapag Lloyd Express - price range begins at 19,99 ? (one-way-ticket, inkl. tax)
Condor - brandnew budget airline which is the first german budget airline which offers transcontinental flights (price range starts at 99 ?, one-way-ticket, inkl. tax). Also european flights (minimum: 29,99 ? inkl. tax)

Germanwings
Air Berlin
Deutsche BA
Germania
DiggerD21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2004, 03:57 PM   #135
Monkey
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggerD21
Ryanair is popular for it´s low fares, but often tax are not included.
?? You always have to pay taxes. On the Ryanair website they quote taxes as soon as you have selected your preferred times. It's better that way because it's easier to tell the cheapest tickets before taxes are added at the end.
Old May 29th, 2004, 04:14 AM   #136
DiggerD21
spaghetti polonaise

Likes (Received): 1356

I know that I have always to pay taxes. What I mean is, that Ryanair makes advertisements with their "only 9,99 euro" and then say in very small letters that taxes are not included. And these taxes are often threetimes higher than 9,99 euro.
For me as a customer it is more important what I have to pay AFTER taxes are added.
But of course for all budget lines is one big rule: You have to be the first to get the cheapest fares (with or without taxes)

Edit: Damn, the forum does not know the euro-sign.
DiggerD21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2004, 11:46 AM   #137
David-80
Le Nozze di Figaro...

Valuair tickets to jakarta are sold out until june 5 ! just checked the website and try to book..it says..its fully booked.

cheers
Old May 30th, 2004, 11:47 PM   #138
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Originally Posted by David-80
Valuair tickets to jakarta are sold out until june 5 ! just checked the website and try to book..it says..its fully booked.

cheers
They are still selling tickets even when the flights are being negotiated? Perhaps they just displayed it as "full" for everyone who tries to book for now?

Old May 31st, 2004, 06:56 AM   #139
David-80
Le Nozze di Figaro...

I guess so, but the callcentre is still accepting reservation though and Valuair ads are still everywhere....maybe they are going to start this june.

cheers
Old June 7th, 2004, 01:21 AM   #140
huaiwei
The Monkey King

JUNE 7, 2004

Budget air terminal 'not crucial'

It won't make a major difference to low-cost carriers operating here, says Transport Minister

By Kelvin Wong

THE Government does not think that the time taken to mull over building a low-cost carrier (LCC) terminal at Changi would result in Singapore lagging behind in the race for the regional budget travel pie.

Whether Singapore decides to build the proposed facility or not is not crucial to a budget carrier's decision to fly here, said Transport Minister Yeo Cheow Tong yesterday. His remarks followed news that Malaysia had plans to build such a terminal, either at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport or in Subang.

'I don't think the presence or absence of an LCC terminal will make a significant difference to an LCC operating here. Having a terminal will help it save a few dollars but it is not a make-or-break decision. This is why Tiger Airways is taking its time and why other airlines have expressed no such interest,' Mr Yeo said.

The Government announced that it was looking into setting up a budget airline terminal at Changi in December last year but proposals sent out to carriers have so far met with lukewarm responses.

But the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore will build the terminal if at least one airline wants it.

The authorities are now waiting for Tiger Airways to confirm its interest. If it commits itself to using the terminal, construction - expected to take 1 1/2 years to complete - will begin immediately, said Mr Yeo.

'But if they find that the main Terminals 1 and 2 are better for them, then we are quite happy to go with their decision,' added Mr Yeo.

Having a dedicated LCC facility, stripped of frills such as aerobridges or VIP lounges, would mean lower airport charges for budget carriers. This would help them keep operating costs down and maintain cheap passenger fares. At the main terminals, budget carriers now pay the same charges as full-fledged carriers.

But that has not stopped airlines such as Valuair, Thai AirAsia and Indonesia's Lion Air from flying out of Singapore.

Speaking to reporters after giving out awards at Changi for an international children's art competition, Mr Yeo stressed that maintaining Singapore's attractiveness as a regional air hub was key to meeting competition from other players in the aviation industry.

This meant not just investing in infrastructure, such as an ongoing US$140 million (S$240 million) upgrading of Terminal 2, but also providing innovative services for travellers.

For example, Singapore was the first in the world to offer free city tours to transit passengers.

On an upbeat note, Mr Yeo said that he was 'very encouraged' by the airport's showing this year. About 9.43 million passengers passed through Changi Airport in the first four months, a 16 per cent jump over last year. 'If the trend continues, then this will be a record year for us and that's good news,' he said.