daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 22nd, 2009, 08:46 AM   #1581
Micrav
Live!

Likes (Received): 16

Actually, checking in without somebody is not a bad thing. But will we be able to carry a suitcase in the future or only one handbag? Then there would be need for an attendant anyway. And also, due to economical principles, we will have to pay some taxes anyway, either to the airport either through the price ticket. Or we will not have any improvement or developments of the airports...
Micrav no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 22nd, 2009, 09:48 PM   #1582
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micrav View Post
Actually, checking in without somebody is not a bad thing. But will we be able to carry a suitcase in the future or only one handbag? Then there would be need for an attendant anyway. And also, due to economical principles, we will have to pay some taxes anyway, either to the airport either through the price ticket. Or we will not have any improvement or developments of the airports...
Ryanair will introduce a baggage drop off area, which will be manned, so yes, you will still be able to travel with a suitcase.

I have flew with Ryanair many a time with no taxes, I paid £0.2p (GBP) for a return flight from Glasgow to Dublin, Paris and Cork. All I was charged for booking these flights was just 2 pence, there was no taxes or any other add-ons.

As your Scottish airport to the world, you can fly direct from Glasgow to 120 worldwide destinations, more than any other Scottish Airport. As well as listing all flights and destinations on offer from Glasgow's Airports, you can also view all the latest news and see a full list of all new routes on offer from Glasgow. You can also view our tourist guide to Glasgow, Scotland's largest city.
GlasgowMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 10:26 PM   #1583
Micrav
Live!

Lucky you to pay 2 pences for a flight. When Ryanair says flights for free, we always some taxes appearing by magic, either airport taxes or handling taxes (around 14 € most of the times). Anyway, it is normal to pay something. Nobody is stupid enough to think he can fly for free... Even if you had this opportunity, lucky you
Old February 23rd, 2009, 10:42 PM   #1584
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micrav View Post
Lucky you to pay 2 pences for a flight. When Ryanair says flights for free, we always some taxes appearing by magic, either airport taxes or handling taxes (around 14 € most of the times). Anyway, it is normal to pay something. Nobody is stupid enough to think he can fly for free... Even if you had this opportunity, lucky you
Yes, this is the trick to look out for, the flights that are free have taxes that must be paid. The flights that are 1 pence or 1 cent have no taxes. I know many other people who have also made return flights for just 2 pence.

So, avoid the "free" flights and go for the once that are a single penny/cent.

As your Scottish airport to the world, you can fly direct from Glasgow to 120 worldwide destinations, more than any other Scottish Airport. As well as listing all flights and destinations on offer from Glasgow's Airports, you can also view all the latest news and see a full list of all new routes on offer from Glasgow. You can also view our tourist guide to Glasgow, Scotland's largest city.
Old February 24th, 2009, 05:37 AM   #1585
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
At least this will mean that those of us without EU passports will finally be able to check in online instead of being forced to check in at the airport and thus pay a fee...grr...
I've had mixed luck with this, as most of my travels with Ryanair have been fee-free even though I used manual check-in at the airport. I was only charged once. I don't understand why easyJet lets me check in with my foreign passport while Ryanair only restricts it to EU citizens.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2009, 09:42 PM   #1586
Langur
Londinium langur

Likes (Received): 1643

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langur View Post
Rolling 12 month passenger totals to December 2008:
EasyJet = 44,583,476
Ryanair = 57,700,000

Percentage increase in passengers since December 2007:
EasyJet = 16.6%
Ryanair = 11%

Load factor (ie percentage bums on seats) in December 2008:
EasyJet = 84.6%
Ryanair = 81.5%
Rolling 12 month passenger totals to January 2009:
EasyJet = 44,661,510
Ryanair = 58,100,000

Percentage increase in passengers since January 2008:
EasyJet = 16.2%
Ryanair = 11%

Load factor (ie percentage bums on seats) in January 2009:
EasyJet = 84.9%
Ryanair = 81%
Langur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 08:26 PM   #1587
Micrav
Live!

The crazy thing is that I never flew Easyjet, they are never competitive in prices with Ryanair on the flights I am looking for and they never have the roads I am looking for... Easyjet is great for UK, for the rest of Europe to fly to UK too but within Europe, it is another thing, we have to deal with AirBerlin & Germanwings (expensive), WizzAir, AirBaltic (growing slowly but surely), ...
Old February 27th, 2009, 07:11 PM   #1588
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

SSC is messed up, why did my reply to the post AFTER this one appear here?

Last edited by GlasgowMan; February 27th, 2009 at 08:13 PM.
Old February 27th, 2009, 07:56 PM   #1589
jlshyang

Likes (Received): 13

Ryanair considers charging passengers to pee

LONDON, England (CNN) -- The ever budget-conscious boss of Ryanair has suggested the discount airline may start charging passengers for using the toilet on board its flights.

Michael O'Leary said the airline had revived inquiries into whether the airline could install coin-operated toilets on its fleet.

"People might actually have to spend a pound to spend a penny in future," he said in a BBC interview, adding "We're always in Ryanair looking at the ways of constantly lowering the costs of air travel and making it more affordable and easier for passengers to fly with us."

Asked by the incredulous presenter what passengers would do if they found themselves without money mid-flight, O'Leary replied: "I don't think there is anybody in history that has got on board a Ryanair aircraft with less than a pound."

The Irish airline is renowned for its cheap flights and regularly advertises competition-crushing deals to boost capacity on its short-haul routes.

The company has made no secret of its quest to boost revenue by any means possible. It already charges for food and each bag checked into the hold is subject to a fee.

Last week Ryanair announced plans to remove all its check-in counters in an effort to encourage travelers to take just one piece of hand-luggage.

Ryanair's latest revenue-raising proposal has surprised few in the industry who are accustomed to its method of business.

"It seems Ryanair is prepared to plumb any depth to make a fast buck and, once again, is putting profit before the comfort of its customer," said Rochelle Turner, Head of Research at Which? Holiday.

The consumer group also warned that move might hit Ryanair where it hurts.

"Charging people to go to the toilet might result in fewer people buying overpriced drinks on board, though -- that would serve Ryanair right," Turner said.
Old February 27th, 2009, 08:13 PM   #1590
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

I doubt Health and Safety, and the CAA would allow this.

If they are selling customers (passengers) food and drink onboard, by law, do they not have to provide free toilet facilities?

Old February 27th, 2009, 11:30 PM   #1591
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4265

What a crap.

Prefer to pay a few Euros more and fly with a quality carrier. Who knows, next the save money on security and pilot training.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2009, 12:23 AM   #1592
Micrav
Live!

To pay for toilet is maybe the step too far I was saying about previously. It is a shame for Ryanair. I really hope O'Leary was joking but making a statement of such a level is really insane! Don't make us hate Ryanair for all costs!!!

Definitely, you must not stop somebody to use the toilets on board! This is health and safety. What if one passenger does not have 1 pound coin? He pees on his seat? O leary will be happy to change the smelly and dirty seat!!!

Really, there are borders not to cross!
Old March 1st, 2009, 12:24 AM   #1593
Dan

Likes (Received): 3

I do not mind Ryanair cost cutting in many areas in order to offer cheap flights for those willing to accept less perks to fly cheap, but the bathroom thing goes a bit too far...
Dan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 01:44 PM   #1594
ikops
Supermoderator

Likes (Received): 2664

ikops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 06:02 PM   #1595
Micrav
Live!

Sad but...
Old March 6th, 2009, 01:06 AM   #1596
santobonao
Republica Dominicana

Likes (Received): 172

what a crap airline? how can people can fly through this airlines?, this is nonsense charging money to go to the toilet.

this sad and stupid to think about

poor people that fly this airline

[email protected] santobonao
Facebook www.facebook.com/santobonao
Instagram @santobonao

Aviation for life
santobonao no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 05:59 PM   #1597
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

If Ryanair were so bad they wouldnt be one of the largest airlines in Europe...

Old March 6th, 2009, 08:38 PM   #1598
hkskyline
Hong Kong

I thought plenty of public toilets in Europe charge admission (eg. Liverpool Street station in London, where the express trains to Stansted so I can get to my Ryanair flight originate), so why such a big problem for an airplane?

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old March 7th, 2009, 07:43 PM   #1599
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Charging for toilets PR stunt, says Ryanair boss
7 March 2009
Irish Times

RYANAIR CHIEF executive Michael O’Leary has come clean and admitted that his proposals to charge passengers to use the toilet on aircraft was just a cheap publicity stunt.

Despite telling reporters on Thursday that “it’s going to happen”, Mr O’Leary told a tourism conference yesterday that it was technically impossible and legally difficult.

Mr O’Leary joked it was a “new visionary strategy and a wonderful idea” but also conceded that it could be construed as “taking the p***”. He told the conference, organised by city tourist bodies around Europe, that Ryanair had bought Boeing aircraft in recent years, but the doors were not suitable for charging customers to use the toilet.

“Boeing can put people on the moon, design fighter aircraft and smart bombs, but they can’t design a bloody mechanism to go on doors that will accept coins,” he admitted. Mr O’Leary also confessed that it would not be possible because some “bureaucrat in Brussels” had decreed that establishments where food and drink is served have to provide toilets free of charge.

“It is not likely to happen, but it makes for interesting and very cheap PR,” he told the audience at the Grand Hotel in Malahide, Co Dublin.

Mr O’Leary also proposed a travel tax which would be based on a percentage of the fare as an alternative to the €10 departure tax which will be introduced on April 1st. Such a proposal would favour Ryanair which has low fares, but higher ancillary charges such as baggage and credit card handling charges than most other airlines.

He said that a 10 per cent tax on the cost of the airline fare would target business customers who could afford to pay such charges, rather than budget travellers.

“We accept that the Government finances are in a mess, but if you are going to have a travel tax, at least make it fair and not this regressive nonsense we have here,” he said.

“Don’t target the price-sensitive visitor, target the higher fare passengers who are clearly price insensitive,” he said. Tourism Ireland chief executive Paul O’Toole said he agreed with Mr O’Leary that the €10 tax would hurt tourism business. “It is adding pressure on competitiveness at a difficult time,” he said, though he would not be drawn on whether it would lead to a serious fall in visitors.

Mr O’Toole told the conference that Tourism Ireland, which markets the whole island, will be embarking on an aggressive marketing drive abroad, which will focus on Ireland as a value-for-money destination. Figures for 2008 indicate that the number of visitors to the Republic of Ireland declined by 6.6 per cent in the last six months of the year.

Highcliff liked this post
Old March 13th, 2009, 07:20 PM   #1600
DJRexxx
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by santobonao View Post
what a crap airline? how can people can fly through this airlines?, this is nonsense charging money to go to the toilet.

this sad and stupid to think about

poor people that fly this airline
It is not quite true. I was flying to Riga from Wrocław with these lines and I paid only 3$ for the return trip with all taxes.
DJRexxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote