daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 27th, 2009, 06:06 PM   #1661
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
As far as I know either 11 or 12.
In that case maybe I should reword what I said earlier to "Ryanair have an insane number of bases".

Quote:
Depending on the engines and the fuel capacity 737-800's have ranges between 3790km and 6650km. If they have the version which has only a range of 3790km, STN-CAI would still be possible, however STN-HRG or STN-SSH would be too long. But it would easily be within the range of their other main bases such as HHN or CIA.
I would guess Ryanair have the 3790km variant as the routes I heard were out of range were specifically UK-SSH.

As your Scottish airport to the world, you can fly direct from Glasgow to 120 worldwide destinations, more than any other Scottish Airport. As well as listing all flights and destinations on offer from Glasgow's Airports, you can also view all the latest news and see a full list of all new routes on offer from Glasgow. You can also view our tourist guide to Glasgow, Scotland's largest city.
GlasgowMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 29th, 2009, 06:45 AM   #1662
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18204

Ryanair CEO says expects to quit in 2-3 years

DUBLIN, Nov 28 (Reuters) - Michael O'Leary expects to retire as chief executive of Irish airline Ryanair in two to three years' time, he said on Saturday.

O'Leary has pushed out the projected date of his retirement from the helm of Europe's biggest budget carrier several times, saying last year it had become a "moveable feast".

"In two or three years' time I expect to be gone out of Ryanair," O'Leary told RTE radio, adding he would like to see the takeover of Irish rival Aer Lingus -- which he has twice tried and failed to achieve -- before he goes.

O'Leary said earlier this month he was planning to pay substantial management bonuses in 2011 when a large capital investment programme approaches its end and possibly also end his policy of not paying any dividends around the same time.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

Highcliff liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2009, 09:13 AM   #1663
WESTSEATTLEGUY
Here

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
As far as I know either 11 or 12.
They have numerous 'focus cities' though.
WESTSEATTLEGUY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 05:48 PM   #1664
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Ryanair 'moves the goalposts' by charging for Visa debits
1 December 2009
The Scotsman

RYANAIR is abolishing the only payment option that enables passengers to avoid fees for booking flights.

The no-frills airline is replacing the Visa Electron debit card as its free payment option with a MasterCard prepaid cash card, which normally incurs a range of fees from its issuing banks.

The Electron had been the only way travellers could avoid "payment handling fees" of GBP 5 per passenger, per flight. But from 1 January the Electron will join other credit and debit cards by incurring the Ryanair fees.

This means two adults booking return flights are charged GBP 20, even if the flights are paid for on the same card in the same transaction.

Ryanair said that instead it would accept from today the MasterCard prepaid credit card as its "sole free from of payment".

The airline said the card was more widely available than Visa Electron, which is being phased out by some banks. It is not available in several countries including Ireland, where Ryanair is based.

MasterCard prepaid cards are available through a number of banks and other parties, including Ryanair.

The cards are pre-loaded with funds, so people do not need to be credit-checked to get one, but they do typically charge a range of fees, such as a set-up fee, monthly service charge, loading fee or cash withdrawal or purchase fee.

Consumer groups said the move was another blow for passengers.

Daniel Lawrence, consumer products analyst at Moneysavingexpert.com, said: "This is another example of Ryanair making it difficult for passengers to avoid charges.

"It has moved the goalposts given many would have already got a Visa Electron card to beat the charge.

"It's not all bad news as savvy consumers can still bypass the fee, but it adds complication to what should be a simple process."

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

Old December 1st, 2009, 06:17 PM   #1665
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Ah well, with that I guess my last ever Ryanair flight will be in January which I already have booked.

I have a Visa Electron Card which I always used for booking Ryanair flights. I refuse to pay £5 per passenger, per flight for a Card Transaction. It would cost me £10 in Card fees for a return flight, per person! Ryanair would pocket about £9 of that.

How can Ryanair justify there huge card charges while easyJet and other airlines charge a max of £2 for the full booking?

As your Scottish airport to the world, you can fly direct from Glasgow to 120 worldwide destinations, more than any other Scottish Airport. As well as listing all flights and destinations on offer from Glasgow's Airports, you can also view all the latest news and see a full list of all new routes on offer from Glasgow. You can also view our tourist guide to Glasgow, Scotland's largest city.

Last edited by GlasgowMan; December 1st, 2009 at 06:27 PM.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 10:24 AM   #1666
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasgowMan View Post
Ah well, with that I guess my last ever Ryanair flight will be in January which I already have booked.

I have a Visa Electron Card which I always used for booking Ryanair flights. I refuse to pay £5 per passenger, per flight for a Card Transaction. It would cost me £10 in Card fees for a return flight, per person! Ryanair would pocket about £9 of that.

How can Ryanair justify there huge card charges while easyJet and other airlines charge a max of £2 for the full booking?
I wouldn't mind so much when I'm paying 1 pence and there is free check-in.

Old December 2nd, 2009, 04:34 PM   #1667
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
I wouldn't mind so much when I'm paying 1 pence and there is free check-in.
Until now, I could take advantage of there 1p flights and actually pay just 1p. Will Ryanair still be able to advertise flights from 1p? As the huge credit card charges are no longer avoidable.

Old December 2nd, 2009, 04:36 PM   #1668
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Major Ryanair expansion at Alicante Airport
3 new aircraft, 7 new routes and 3 million passengers a year in Alicante
from 2010

Ryanair, the world's favorite airline, today announced Dec. 1 that from March 2010, will add three new aircraft (nine total), will open seven new routes (56 in total) and carry three million passengers a year at its base in Alicante, keeping 3,000 jobs. Ryanair will operate about 500 flights weekly to and from Alicante which represents an investment in the airport more than $ 600 million.

The new routes to Altemburg, Krakow, Seville, Smaland (Vaxjo), Stockholm (Vasteras), Valladolid, Venice (Treviso), as well as increased frequencies on 9 routes allow more low fares, competition and choice to a even greater number of Spanish consumers and tourists.

Today in Alicante Michael O'Leary has said,

"At Ryanair we are excited to announce three new aircraft and seven new routes from Alicante from March, which will enable us to offer more low fares, competition and choice to a growing number of tourists and Spanish consumers.

Ryanair's new routes and increasing frequencies on existing routes will generate three million passengers a year and maintain at least 3,000 jobs in Alicante and the region.

Ryanair welcomes these new three planes, routes and frequencies by bringing to an offer Christmas sale of 250,000 tickets to 5 € for travel on over 500 routes from Ryanair in late December. The offer is available until midnight on Thursday and promises to be huge demand. "

Old December 2nd, 2009, 06:46 PM   #1669
Chamal nr. 1

Likes (Received): 0

What about AirArabia/AirArabia Maroc, they have only been existing for 6 years and they already have 11 million passengers and they are already launching their third company AirArabia Egypt! :-)
Chamal nr. 1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 06:51 PM   #1670
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Until now, I could take advantage of there 1p flights and actually pay just 1p. Will Ryanair still be able to advertise flights from 1p? As the huge credit card charges are no longer avoidable.
I wonder how the EU thinks about their non all-inclusive pricing. Isn't that technically illegal now?

Old December 3rd, 2009, 05:25 PM   #1671
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Ryanair Nov passengers rise 15 pct, load factor up

DUBLIN, Dec 3 (Reuters) - Ryanair carried 4.96 million passengers in November, 15 percent more than a year ago, with the average flight slightly fuller than last year, the Irish airline said on Thursday.

Load factor -- an indication of seats sold as a percentage of capacity -- increased by 1 percentage point compared with the same month of 2008 to 80 percent of capacity.

Old December 3rd, 2009, 07:45 PM   #1672
dmarney

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Major Ryanair expansion at Alicante Airport
3 new aircraft, 7 new routes and 3 million passengers a year in Alicante
from 2010

Ryanair, the world's favorite airline, today announced Dec. 1 that from March 2010, will add three new aircraft (nine total), will open seven new routes (56 in total) and carry three million passengers a year at its base in Alicante, keeping 3,000 jobs. Ryanair will operate about 500 flights weekly to and from Alicante which represents an investment in the airport more than $ 600 million.
500 a week?! thats really good for the airport's size
dmarney no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 10:18 PM   #1673
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamal nr. 1 View Post
What about AirArabia/AirArabia Maroc, they have only been existing for 6 years and they already have 11 million passengers and they are already launching their third company AirArabia Egypt! :-)
11m? Are you sure?

And it's pretty good considering Air Arabia is nowhere near as low-cost as Ryanair. At a lot of tiems its fares are almost on par with Emriates/Etihad, and in most situations they're around 70-80% of their fare. Ryanair on the other hand...
Old December 4th, 2009, 07:28 PM   #1674
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

FlyBe to launch flights from Glasgow Prestwick Airport
02 December 2009

FlyBe have today announced that they will launch flights from Glasgow Prestwick Airport.

The airline, which already has a large base at Glasgow International Airport plans to operate a new direct route to Jersey every Saturday from the 19th of June 2010.

The route is to be operated by a 78-seat Bombardier Q400 aircraft, with return flights available from just £52 including tax.

Alongside the new flight from Glasgow Prestwick, FlyBe will double the number of flights between Glasgow International and Jersey. The airline will increase flights between the two airports from two flights per week to four flights per week. The additional flights will operate every Tuesday and Thursday.

Glasgow Prestwick Airport Spokeswoman Paula Horne said: “This is a double helping of good news for Glasgow Prestwick,”

“Not only do we have a wonderful new route to the Channel Islands, but we also welcome Flybe, Europe's biggest regional airline, which is operating its first-ever scheduled service from the airport."

“It means our prospects are excellent as we go into 2010 with thirty-three great low-cost routes around the UK and Europe.”

Paula added: “The Jersey connection comes hot on the heels of the announcement of our new Ryanair route to Carcassonne next year, so we now have two terrific new names for our 2010 destination board."

Old December 4th, 2009, 09:48 PM   #1675
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

FlyBe has a beautiful livery but I wish they kept the "british european" titles.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2009, 10:15 PM   #1676
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Flybe number 1 UK domestic airline
62 active aircraft spread across 16 UK bases this winter including fast-growing Gatwick

The beautiful Embraer 195s at Southampton. With 21 destinations, Southampton still offers the most routes, followed by Birmingham and Manchester (16 each), although London Gatwick is the airline’s second biggest base by weekly seat capacity.

According to the latest UK CAA airline traffic statistics (for August 2009), Flybe and its franchise partner Loganair now operate more than twice as many UK domestic flights than any other airline. The bmi group and easyJet are virtually tied in second place with British Airways languishing way down in fourth place. However, in terms of passenger numbers, it is much closer with Flybe and Loganair transporting 529,000 passengers in August compared with 479,000 for easyJet and 366,000 for British Airways.

Over the last 10 years, Flybe (and its previous incarnations as Jersey European and British European) has grown from handling just under two million passengers in 1998 to just under seven million last year. The big jump in passenger numbers in 2007 was achieved by the integration of British Airways Connect which was sold to the airline.

Mike Rutter at the Leeds-Bradford to Gatwick launch in April “rescuing” the London service following bmi’s dropped Heathrow route (the emblem to the left of Tower Bridge is a Yorkshire Rose).

Since 2003, annual average load factors have ranged between 60% and 70%. So far in 2009, passenger numbers are down around 6% while monthly load factors are down on average around five percentage points, suggesting that capacity has remained relatively stable.

London Gatwick catching Southampton as #1 base
When anna.aero last analysed Flybe’s network, Southampton was the leading base followed by Manchester, Birmingham, Belfast City and London Gatwick. A year later, London Gatwick is now the airline’s second biggest base by weekly seat capacity. The number of routes from Gatwick has increased from seven to 10 during the course of 2009 with the addition of new multiple daily services to Düsseldorf, Leeds/Bradford and Newquay.

Southampton still offers the most Flybe routes from a single airport (21), followed by Birmingham and Manchester (16 each). Other new routes started this year include seasonal weekly services to Jersey from Dundee, Humberside, Inverness and Manston.

France and Germany leading international markets
Around three-quarters of the airline’s capacity is assigned to domestic routes, but Flybe also offers year-round flights to Belgium, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands and Spain. During the summer, it also serves Croatia and Portugal, while in winter it operates ski flights to Austria (Salzburg) and Switzerland (Berne and Geneva).

A total of nine French destinations were served during the summer; Avignon, Bergerac, Brest, Nice, La Rochelle, Limoges, Paris CDG, Perpignan and Rennes. In Germany, five destinations are served; Düsseldorf, Frankfurt, Hamburg, Hannover and Stuttgart. Many of the German routes were acquired when the airline absorbed British Airways Connect. The busiest mainland European airports for Flybe this winter are Paris CDG (67 weekly departures) and Düsseldorf (65 weekly departures). This winter, the airline is operating a total of 119 routes spread across 48 airports, up slightly on last winter when the corresponding figures were 115 routes and 46 airports.

But of course! Samba dancers greet the Embraer 195’s arrival on Birmingham-Düsseldorf services. About three quarters of capacity is on UK domestic routes, although the busiest mainland European airports this winter are Paris CDG (67 weekly departures) and Düsseldorf (65).

62 aircraft spread across 16 UK bases
Over the years, Flybe (and its predecessors) have operated a range of aircraft types including more recently CRJs, ERJs and BAe 146s. It has now settled on a dual fleet of just two aircraft types; the Embraer 195 and the Bombardier Q400. Apart from operating its own routes Flybe has leased out some Q400s to Olympic Air for the winter period. As a result the airline currently has a fleet of 62 active aircraft spread across 16 bases in the UK.

Birmingham (ten), Southampton (eight), Belfast City and Manchester (seven each) have the most based Flybe aircraft. Despite London Gatwick’s growing prominence in the airline’s network, it has just two Q400s based at the airport.

Last month, the airline announced a codeshare agreement with Etihad Airways. Under the deal, Flybe will place its ‘BE’ code on Etihad’s flights between Paris, Frankfurt and Manchester and its Abu Dhabi home base. In turn, the Abu Dhabi-based airline will place its two-letter ‘EY’ code on a number of services operated by Flybe between the same three destinations as well as Southampton, Isle of Man, Inverness, Glasgow International, Birmingham and Exeter for travel effective 13th November.

Launch of Newquay-London Gatwick with a Beach Boy tribute band in February. Does anyone else think that the pilot looks the most like Brian Wilson (inset).

Old December 6th, 2009, 04:41 PM   #1677
Chamal nr. 1

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamu maharaj View Post
11m? Are you sure?

And it's pretty good considering Air Arabia is nowhere near as low-cost as Ryanair. At a lot of tiems its fares are almost on par with Emriates/Etihad, and in most situations they're around 70-80% of their fare. Ryanair on the other hand...
Yes im 100 percent!!! It's written on their website check it out! http://www.airarabia.com/home&clearall=1260117664

And i remember the first month they started up their moroccan based Airline their where aproxematly 125.000 bought tickets!!! Only at the Moroccan airlines!
Chamal nr. 1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 09:38 AM   #1678
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Budget carrier easyJet pulls out of regional UK airport, cuts capacity at Luton
7 December 2009

LONDON (AP) - Low-cost airline easyJet PLC said Monday it is closing its operations at a regional British airport and cutting capacity at its home base of London's Luton airport by 20 percent.

The airline will cease operations at East Midlands Airport on Jan. 5. The airline operated 10 routes from East Midlands Airport -- to Prague, Nice, Venice, Faro, Barcelona, Alicante, Malaga, Ibiza, Palma and Geneva.

Passengers booked to travel after Jan. 5 will be offered either a free transfer to another easyJet flight, a free transfer to a flight on low-cost airline bmibaby or a full refund.

The 20 percent capacity reduction at Luton means the airline will cease to operate routes to Athens, Cagliari and Vienna, and reduce frequencies on routes including Alicante, Dortmund, Edinburgh, Geneva, Glasgow, Nice and Paris.

The changes follow a three-month consultation with workers and the carrier said that all 107 affected cabin crew and pilots who requested to transfer to other easyJet bases will be accommodated.

Old December 16th, 2009, 04:26 PM   #1679
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Two new Ryanair bases announced today

Ryanair announces Malaga as 38th base
4 aircraft, 39 routes & 2 million passengers

Ryanair, the world’s favourite airline, today (16th Dec 09) announced it would open its 38th base at Malaga in June 2010 with 4 based aircraft and 19 new routes (39 in total) being launched. Ryanair will create over 200 direct jobs and offer 360 weekly flights to/from Malaga in an investment of over $250 million in the airport.

Ryanair’s 19 new routes from Malaga to Aarhus, Berlin (Schonefeld), Bratislava, Eindhoven, Gothenburg, Krakow, Maastricht, Memmingen (Munich West), Oslo (Torp), Paris (Beauvais), Pisa, Santander, Santiago, Stockholm (Skavsta), Tampere, Valladolid, Venice (Treviso), Wroclaw and Zaragoza will increase Ryanair’s traffic at Malaga to over 2m passengers p.a. which will sustain 2,000 well paid local jobs in the Malaga region.

Ryanair celebrated its new Malaga base by releasing 500,000 €5 January seats for travel on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays on 500 routes across its European network in the new year. These €5 seats are available for booking on www.ryanair.com until midnight Thursday (17th Dec).

In Malaga today, Ryanair’s Michael O’Leary said:

“Ryanair is delighted to announce Malaga as our 38th base with 19 new routes from next June which go on sale on www.ryanair.com tomorrow. With a total of 39 low fare routes from Malaga next summer Spanish consumers and visitors can beat the recession by choosing Ryanair’s lowest fares and our no fuel surcharge guarantee on 39 exciting destinations all over Europe including France, Italy and Germany among others. Ryanair’s 2m passengers p.a. will sustain 2,000 jobs locally at Malaga Airport”.

19 New Malaga routes in 2010 to:

To Date To Date
Aarhus 23 Jun Pisa 24 Jun
Berlin (Sch) 25 Jun Santander 24 Jun
Bratislava 23 Jun Santiago 23 Jun
Eindhoven 23 Jun Stockholm (Skav) 24 Jun
Gothenburg 25 Jun Tampere 25 Jun
Krakow 24 Jun Valladolid 23 Jun
Maastricht 23 Jun Venice (Treviso) 24 Jun
Memmingen 24 Jun Wroclaw 25 Jun
Oslo (Torp) 23 Jun Zaragoza 24 Jun
Paris (Beav) 23 Jun

Ryanair announces 39th base at Faro
6 aircraft, 28 routes and 1.3 million passengers

Ryanair, the world’s favourite airline, today (16th Dec) announced it would open its 39th base at Faro in March 2010 with 6 based aircraft and 14 new routes (28 in total) being launched. Ryanair will create over 300 direct jobs and offer over 200 weekly flights to/from Faro in an investment of over $400 million in the airport.

Ryanair’s 14 new routes from Faro to Billund, Birmingham, Derry, Eindhoven, Kerry, Knock, Madrid, Marseille, Maastricht, Milan (Bergamo), Oslo (Rygge), Paris (Beauvais) and Stockholm (Skavsta) will increase Ryanair’s traffic at Faro to 1.3million p.a. which will sustain 1,300 well paid local jobs in the region.

Ryanair celebrated its new Faro base by releasing 500,000 €5 seats for travel on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays on over 500 routes across its European network in January. These €5 seats are available for booking on www.ryanair.com until midnight Thursday (17th Dec).

In Faro today, Ryanair’s Michael O’Leary said:

“Ryanair is delighted to announce Faro as our 39th base with 14 new routes from next March which go on sale on www.ryanair.com tomorrow. With a total of 28 low fare routes from Faro next summer Portuguese consumers and visitors can beat the recession by choosing Ryanair’s lowest fares and our no fuel surcharge guarantee on 28 exciting destinations all over Europe including France, Italy and Germany among others. Ryanair’s 1.3m passengers p.a. will sustain 1,300 jobs locally at Faro Airport.”

14 New Faro routes in 2010 to:

To Date To Date
Billund 30 Mar Marseille 30 Mar
Birmingham 28 Mar Maastricht 27 Apr
Derry 30 Mar Memmingen (Mun) 27 Apr
Eindhoven 27 Apr Milan (Bergamo) 25 Mar
Kerry 30 Mar Oslo (Rygge) 30 Mar
Knock 30 Mar Paris (Beauvais) 27 Apr
Madrid 27 Apr Stockholm (Skavsta) 30 Mar

Old December 18th, 2009, 05:25 PM   #1680
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Ryanair announces 6th Aircraft for Glasgow After Flyglobespan Collapses

Ryanair, the world’s favourite airline, announced today (18th Dec 09) that it will base a 6th aircraft in Glasgow (Prestwick) and open a new route to Fuerteventura from March next after the collapse of Flyglobespan. Ryanair’s six Glasgow (Prestwick) based aircraft will deliver 2m passengers p.a. and sustain 2,000 Glasgow jobs including 300 direct Ryanair jobs.

Ryanair’s sixth aircraft will focus on routes once offered by Flyglobespan to/from Alicante, Faro, Fuerteventura, Gran Canaria, Lanzarote, Malaga, Palma and Tenerife, which are available for booking on www.ryanair.com.

Ryanair celebrated its sixth aircraft and its new Fuerteventura route by extending its 500,000 £5 January seat sale on www.ryanair.com to midnight Sunday (20th Dec), for travel on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays in January.

Ryanair’s Stephen McNamara said:

“Ryanair is delighted to announce a sixth aircraft and a new sun route for Glasgow Prestwick which will ensure that Glasgow holidaymakers can still jet to sun destinations in Alicante, Faro, Fuerteventura, Gran Canaria, Lanzarote, Malaga, Palma and Tenerife. Ryanair will deliver 2m passengers to/from Glasgow Prestwick which will sustain 2,000 local jobs.

“To celebrate this new aircraft and route Ryanair is extending its 500,000 £5 January seat sale, for travel across Europe in the new year, until midnight Sunday. Since seats at these crazy low prices will be snapped up quickly, we urge passengers to book them immediately on www.ryanair.com”.

New Ryanair routes
Glasgow to Fuerteventura from March 2010

Increased frequency on existing routes
Alicante
Faro
Gran Canaria
Lanzarote
Malaga
Palma
Tenerife