daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 19th, 2010, 06:52 AM   #1721
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Likes (Received): 88

EasyJet claims ‘UK’s national airline’ title

EASYJET has claimed the mantle of the UK’s favourite airline for a second year running – putting troubled flag carrier British Airways (BA) well in the shade.

Luton-based easyJet says it carried 28.15million passengers to and from UK airports last year.

By comparison, BA is said to have carried a total of 26.27million people after adjustments to reflect travellers transferring between services on a single journey.

EasyJet’s figures, calculated using Civil Aviation Authority statistics, put BA in third place among operators serving UK airports.

In second spot is Dublin-based budget carrier Ryanair, with passenger numbers totalling 28.09million during 2009.

EasyJet said yesterday passengers had voted with their feet, attracted by low fares from convenient airports.

Chief executive Andy Harrison said: “EasyJet is now the UK’s national airline.”

Further down the league table, BMI and Flybe are said to have carried 6.89million and 6.75million people respectively in 2009.

EasyJet has grown from a small two-aircraft business to an airline operating from 16 UK airports within 15 years.

Meanwhile, BA has ditched its “world’s favourite airline” slogan and lurched from one crisis to another.

Ryanair announced a “St Patrick’s Day hangover seat sale”, slashing up to 50% off all seats on all routes for travel every day in late April and May for bookings made by midnight on Monday.

As your Scottish airport to the world, you can fly direct from Glasgow to 120 worldwide destinations, more than any other Scottish Airport. As well as listing all flights and destinations on offer from Glasgow's Airports, you can also view all the latest news and see a full list of all new routes on offer from Glasgow. You can also view our tourist guide to Glasgow, Scotland's largest city.
GlasgowMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 19th, 2010, 09:07 AM   #1722
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4956

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx☢Power View Post
I'd have taken offense to being called a douche had you not posted my favorite show. Arrested Development is the best comedic show ever created.
Old March 19th, 2010, 11:34 PM   #1723
Wover

Likes (Received): 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamu maharaj View Post
I find that surprising. On internet boards, ryanair customers normally sound the most satisfied.
I didn't notice the numbers before, so kind of a late reply:

Ryanair/Easyjet probably have their passenger numbers multiplied by 5 or more in the last 5 years, while the other airlines probably only had a status quo or a slight increase. It's very logical that the rise in complaints is much less with the other airlines...
Wover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2010, 07:33 AM   #1724
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

BA finds an unlikely ally in Ryanair boss O'Leary

Michael O'Leary, the Ryanair chief executive who once ran an advert branding British Airways "Expensive BAstards", has leapt to the defence of the UK flag-carrier in its battle with union Unite.

Burying past differences, Mr O'Leary backed the way his counterpart at BA, Willie Walsh, was handling the strike and rounded on Unite, which claims to represent 12,000 BA cabin crew.

"We believe the Unite union are a bunch of dimwits," Mr O'Leary said. "It's insane that the cabin crew are striking at a time of recession. The timing is spectacularly stupid."

Describing Tony Woodley, Unite's joint-general secretary, as a "dinosaur", Mr O'Leary said he hoped that the crew "realise that they are lions being led by donkeys and overpaid donkeys at that.

"BA is in financial difficulties. It has an enormous pension deficit. But at the top of the trade union movement in the UK they have a lot of old headbangers clinging on to the 1960s and 1970s."

Mr O'Leary said Ryanair had leased BA three planes last weekend and that Mr Walsh called him on Monday requesting "four or five" for the four-day walk-out planned from this Saturday.

He said he was prepared to help a rival, noting that "it's not often in my life that I am in support of Willie Walsh", but felt it was "vital that they win this dispute and the union loses it".

Renowned for having little truck with unions, Mr O'Leary said: "Most other airlines don't want to upset the goons in the trade unions but we have no relations with them."

However, he could not resist a dig at BA, saying the planes leased to BA last weekend "were all on time too, which I must say gave the BA passengers a bit of a shock".

BA, which has said the first three strike days cost the airline £21m, attempted to turn up the pressure on Unite last night by claiming that it would cancel fewer planes for the second walk-out because more crew were willing to cross the picket line.

"As a result of the numbers of crew wanting to work, we are increasing significantly our flying schedule and will be operating a full schedule at Gatwick and London City airports," Mr Walsh said. At Heathrow, BA intends to fly 70pc of long-haul and 55pc of short-haul flights.

Mr Woodley hit back saying: "This schedule has more holes than a Swiss cheese. Passengers are paying for management machismo. BA management should spend more time on addressing their employees' concerns and less on fantasy schedules sending empty planes to unknown destinations."

Mr Walsh stressed that "our door remains open to Unite, day or night, if it wants to find a sensible settlement".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...ss-OLeary.html

As your Scottish airport to the world, you can fly direct from Glasgow to 120 worldwide destinations, more than any other Scottish Airport. As well as listing all flights and destinations on offer from Glasgow's Airports, you can also view all the latest news and see a full list of all new routes on offer from Glasgow. You can also view our tourist guide to Glasgow, Scotland's largest city.
Old March 25th, 2010, 01:20 PM   #1725
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

FlyBe alert ends at Belfast City Airport

A PLANE at Belfast City Airport has suffered unspecified technical problems.

The incident involved a Flybe plane preparing to leave the runway for at approximately 7.30am on Thursday.

As a precaution, the pilot shut down the engine.

All 61 passengers and 4 crew mwmbers onboard the intended flight to Glasgow walked off the aircraft safely.

Fire applicances attended the scene of the incident but have since left the runway.

It is believed the original flight to Glasgow will be rescheduled.

In a statement, a spokesperson for the airline said: "Flybe can confirm that Flight BE125 en route from George Best Belfast City Airport to Glasgow International experienced a technical problem immediately after take off.

"The aircraft returned to the George Best Belfast City Airport where the 61 passengers disembarked normally and without incident.

"As is standard industry practice, the airport placed emergency services on standby."

East Belfast MLA Naomi Long praised the actions of the emergency services.

She said: "I want to praise the authorities on the swift action they took to clear the plane and deal with this incident.

"I am very glad this worrying issue was dealt with quickly and safely, and I hope that the airport can get back to business and minimise disruption following it."

Normal service is expected to resume at the airport as soon as possible, following several flight delays.

Last edited by GlasgowMan; March 25th, 2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old March 29th, 2010, 08:59 PM   #1726
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Possibly the first ever picture of a Ryanair aircraft at Glasgow International Airport! Ryanair have a large base at Glasgow Prestwick Airport however they don’t have any scheduled flights from Glasgow International Airport. This aircraft was operating on behalf of British Airwyas.

Credit for this photograph goes to Kevinwm.

Highcliff liked this post
Old March 30th, 2010, 08:43 AM   #1727
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18129

Well, when crisis hits BA needs to consider all options, including competitors.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

Highcliff liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2010, 05:45 PM   #1728
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4248

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamu maharaj View Post
I find that surprising. On internet boards, ryanair customers normally sound the most satisfied.
You have low expectations if you fly with Ryanair.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2010, 06:04 PM   #1729
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Well, when crisis hits BA needs to consider all options, including competitors.
Indeed. British Airways have handled the strike phenomenally well IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goschio View Post
You have low expectations if you fly with Ryanair.
Have you ever flown with Ryanair?

Old March 30th, 2010, 08:07 PM   #1730
staid_leming

Likes (Received): 0

My Ryanair experience consisted of them loading the wrong passengers onto the aircraft - staff that could hardly speak English and a delay of an hour...

Never again... British Airways will always get my custom - mainly because of pre allocated seating so you dont get that surge of people running across the tarmac towards the aircraft - and drinks - im not bothered about it just being snacks on short hall now. Its funny because 9 times out of 10 you end up paying about the same as you would if you flew Ryanair.

Although i would recomend Flybe!
staid_leming no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2010, 06:34 PM   #1731
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Ryanair launch three new routes from Glasgow Prestwick Airport
01 March 2010

Glasgow Prestwick Airport emphasised its status as Scotland’s low-cost gateway to Europe this week with the launch of three new Ryanair routes.

Ryanair’s sixth based aircraft arrived in Glasgow this week for the launch of new flights to Carcassonne, Fuerteventura and Ibiza, bringing the number of destinations served from Glasgow Prestwick Airport to 31.

Flights to Carcassonne, Scotland’s only direct flight to the French city will operate every Monday, Wednesday and Sunday while flights to Fuerteventura are on offer every Monday and Friday, with flights to Ibiza departing every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.

The three new routes are just the latest part of Ryanair’s recent rapid expansion from Glasgow Prestwick Airport. In December the airline launched four new routes from the airport and has since increased the frequency of flights on six existing routes.

FlyGlasgow has learned that Ryanair plan to base a seventh aircraft at Glasgow Prestwick Airport in the spring of next year.

Glasgow Prestwick Chief Executive Iain Cochrane said: “its sunsational! Glasgow Prestwick is number one for sun-loving Scots this spring and summer. Thanks to Ryanair, we’re providing people with punctual, reliable flights at the lowest prices in Scotland.”

Ryanair’s Maria Macken said: “Ryanair is delighted to welcome passengers on board its new routes from Glasgow Prestwick. Whether it’s clubbing in Ibiza, relaxing over a nice glass of French wine in Carcassonne or soaking up the sun in Fuerteventura, Ryanair has got it covered.”

http://www.flyglasgow.net/news.html

Old April 3rd, 2010, 06:04 AM   #1732
goschio
proud Kuffar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasgowMan View Post
Have you ever flown with Ryanair?
No, and I never would. Pay rather 100 EUR more and start from major aiport and have good service. Seat allocation is also important.

Don't need such cheap crap in my life.

And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 03:58 PM   #1733
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Quote:
No, and I never would. Pay rather 100 EUR more and start from major aiport and have good service. Seat allocation is also important.

Don't need such cheap crap in my life.
Thank you for baking up my earlier point, 99% of people who complain about easyJet and/or Ryanair have never actually flown wither either airline.

How can you have an opinion on a product/company you have never used?!

Old April 3rd, 2010, 07:11 PM   #1734
AlexisMD

Likes (Received): 676

On the news reported that EasyJet and WizzAir will commence operations in Moldova by 2011
AlexisMD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2010, 07:33 PM   #1735
goschio
proud Kuffar

Quote:
Thank you for baking up my earlier point, 99% of people who complain about easyJet and/or Ryanair have never actually flown wither either airline.

How can you have an opinion on a product/company you have never used?!
Well I don't have to fly with them to know that they have crap service and only fly to second class airports (at least outside UK/ Ireland). And I won't fly with an airline where I can't have allocated seats.

I rather fly with Air Berlin which is somewhere positioned between premium airlines such as Lufthansa and the really cheap crap airlines. They fly to major airports, have ok service and you can have connection flights.

Old April 3rd, 2010, 08:59 PM   #1736
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Quote:
Well I don't have to fly with them to know that they have crap service and only fly to second class airports (at least outside UK/ Ireland). And I won't fly with an airline where I can't have allocated seats.

I rather fly with Air Berlin which is somewhere positioned between premium airlines such as Lufthansa and the really cheap crap airlines. They fly to major airports, have ok service and you can have connection flights.
How do you know its crap if you have never used it?

Easyjet's customer service, on the ground and in the air, is far superior to British Airways. I've actually flown with both airlines so I think I'm in a position to make that comparison.

Second class airports? OK; Ryanair do serve allot of "secondary" airports, however they also serve major airports such as Dublin, London Gatwick and Madrid Barajas.

easyJet fly to very few "secondary" airports, most easyJet flights operate to/from cities main airports such as Barcelona, Geneva, London Gatwick, Madrid Barajas, Paris CDG, Zurich and many more.

I don't personally see connecting flights as a plus. Give me direct non-stop flights from my local airport over a connection anytime!

Old April 4th, 2010, 01:14 AM   #1737
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Quote:
I don't personally see connecting flights as a plus. Give me direct non-stop flights from my local airport over a connection anytime!
That is the paradox of the low-cost expansion. They don't sell connecting tickets (at least the more hardcore low-costs). So if you happen to live near a Ryanair or Easyjet base, fine, you get plenty of direct flights. Otherwise, you don't have options.

So the actual coverage of such low-cost services is not that good. Sure, they've pushed major legacy airlines to the corner on routes linking major capitals, but if you want to fly Zaragoza-Bari or Malmö-Genève, you can't resort to such low-cost companies.
Old April 5th, 2010, 10:10 AM   #1738
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4956

LCC model is based on point-to-point travel. But Air Arabia does offer connecting flights, however it's hardly a true LCC. A lot of times its ticket is more expensive than at least Etihad. Even at its cheapest, it's usually like 70-80% of Emirates/Etihad. Why would anyone fly it is a mystery to me.
Old April 5th, 2010, 11:26 PM   #1739
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
That is the paradox of the low-cost expansion. They don't sell connecting tickets (at least the more hardcore low-costs). So if you happen to live near a Ryanair or Easyjet base, fine, you get plenty of direct flights. Otherwise, you don't have options.

So the actual coverage of such low-cost services is not that good. Sure, they've pushed major legacy airlines to the corner on routes linking major capitals, but if you want to fly Zaragoza-Bari or Malmö-Genève, you can't resort to such low-cost companies.
Low cost airlines converge of Europe is far superior to what the full service airlines offers. You just need to look at the amount of European destinations Ryanair serve compared to the amount of European destinations British Airways serve.

Ryanair have 40 bases in Europe, so there is a good chances there is a Ryanair base within an hours drive of your home. The same cannot be said for the likes of BA, Air France, KLM etc.

I would not be surprised to find out that Ryanair fly to more European airports than British Airways serve worldwide.

Old April 6th, 2010, 06:28 PM   #1740
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Ryanair hikes peak summer baggage fee

The cost of checking in a bag is being hiked to £20 by Ryanair for passengers flying during the summer peak.

The £5 increase from £15 for a checked in bag will apply to passengers travelling in July and August.

The additional charge comes into force for all bookings made after midnight tomorrow (April 7).

The no-frills carrier urged passengers to travel with carry-on bags only using its free 10kg carry-on baggage allowance.

A spokesman said: “Ryanair is determined to incentivise passengers to travel light this summer by increasing our checked-in baggage fees for the months of July and August only.

“These baggage fees, which are avoidable by passengers, will apply to bookings made after midnight (24:00hrs) Wednesday for travel in July and August.

“From 1st September the checked-in bag fee will return to its current level of £15.

“Over 70% of all Ryanair passengers will be unaffected by these changes because they travel with no checked-in bags.”