daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 14th, 2010, 03:22 PM   #1761
marki
Moon Transit

Likes (Received): 700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ternarydaemon View Post
People do not use Ryanair and EasyJet because they want. They use them because they are cheap.

People expect service to be rude, and border on the offensive. But hey, it is cheap if you book flights at midnight on monday, carry habd baggage and take your own food and water.

Basically, you can expect that the security measures are the minimun to prevent the plane from crashing. I am doubful about that last one.
I didnt think you could take the water aboard Ryanair because it is a liquid, and food sometimes not allowed for quarantine reasons. However you can buy a small bottle of water aboard for just £5, and a little bag of peanuts for £3
marki no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 14th, 2010, 05:44 PM   #1762
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18129

Quote:
Originally Posted by marki View Post
I didnt think you could take the water aboard Ryanair because it is a liquid, and food sometimes not allowed for quarantine reasons. However you can buy a small bottle of water aboard for just £5, and a little bag of peanuts for £3
I think you can still buy water once past the security check in the terminal and bring it on board.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

Highcliff liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 11:58 PM   #1763
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
People do not use Ryanair and EasyJet because they want. They use them because they are cheap.
Combined, easyJet and Ryanair carried over 111.4 million passengers in 2009.

Do you speak on behalf of 111.4 million people? No, I think not! So how can you tell us why people chose to fly with easyJet and/or Ryanair?!

When people book flights, they very rarely choose their selected flight down to just one factor. One of the main factor people take into consideration when booking a flight is the routing.

For example; why would any sane person fly British Airways from Glasgow to London to Alicante when you can fly direct from Glasgow to Alicante with easyJet and Ryanair?

Low cost airlines offer a far greater number of routes across Europe than the legacy carriers do. Convenience is one of the main reasons behind the popularity of low cost airlines.

Quote:
People expect service to be rude, and border on the offensive. But hey, it is cheap if you book flights at midnight on monday, carry habd baggage and take your own food and water.
You have never flown with easyJet before have you? I’ll tell you right now they offer a far better service than many of the legacy carriers and their staff are far friendlier than any other airline I have ever came across.

Last year I was flying from Valencia to Glasgow. I arrived at the airport at lunchtime but my flight was not till 6pm. I went to the airlines Ticket Sales desk and said “I’m booked on the 6pm flight to Glasgow...” before I could even finish my sentence the woman behind the desk had responded with “Do you want me to transfer you onto the 3pm flight to Glasgow?”.

I and two others were transferred onto the earlier flight, free of charge and the whole process took about 60 seconds. Now was this fantastic customer service offered by a legacy carrier or a low cost airline? It was easyJet!

If you want to talk about rood and offensive cabin crew then take a look at American Airlines and British Airways...

As for “midnight departures on a Monday”. Sorry but now you are just lying! Ryanair aircraft start their day at 6am, perfect for business passengers and are all usually back at their home base by around 10pm that night. I would bet money that Ryanair do not have any midnight departures.

Quote:
Basically, you can expect that the security measures are the minimun to prevent the plane from crashing. I am doubful about that last one.
Again; utter rubbish! All EU registered airlines have to meet the same strict safety standards. So to say Ryanair is unsafe and British Airways is safe is just rubbish! You might also want to look at easyJet and Ryanair’s safety records, no loss of aircraft, no loss of passengers... that speaks for itself!

As your Scottish airport to the world, you can fly direct from Glasgow to 120 worldwide destinations, more than any other Scottish Airport. As well as listing all flights and destinations on offer from Glasgow's Airports, you can also view all the latest news and see a full list of all new routes on offer from Glasgow. You can also view our tourist guide to Glasgow, Scotland's largest city.
GlasgowMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 12:32 AM   #1764
abbypan
Work Hard, Fly Right!

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasgowMan View Post
The standing passengers and charging passengers to use the toilets are both publicity stunts. Ryanair have no serious intention of doing either. As usual the media and there ignorance will print anything and as a result Ryanair are getting allot of free advertising, worldwide.

Smart move from Ryanair. The media are ignorant fools.
You said it. They are doing free advertising.
Yesterday I read Ryanair's CEO said "We'll Give Pay Toilet Money To Charity" and people were talking about it.

But one thing I do not understand is how they approve their LOGO. Each time see it , I can help but laughing.
abbypan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 07:54 AM   #1765
marki
Moon Transit

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
I think you can still buy water once past the security check in the terminal and bring it on board.
Yeh, i forgot the £3 water in the terminal, thats a saving. At least the water in the terminal restrooms is more palatable than that found on the plane. Some terminals even have drinking fountains, if I can find them, and then I can fill an empty bottle.
Old April 15th, 2010, 09:03 AM   #1766
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by marki View Post
Yeh, i forgot the £3 water in the terminal, thats a saving. At least the water in the terminal restrooms is more palatable than that found on the plane. Some terminals even have drinking fountains, if I can find them, and then I can fill an empty bottle.
I got two for £1.69 from Boots. Where did you go to get ripped off like that?

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

Old April 16th, 2010, 01:23 PM   #1767
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4956

Quote:
NEver been to a European airport, but to the ones I've been to it depends on the airport. Like in Bangkok, after the last security check there are no shops (only exception I can think of right now). So you can't buy water. But in most airports you can.
Old April 16th, 2010, 09:27 PM   #1768
marki
Moon Transit

Quote:
I got two for £1.69 from Boots. Where did you go to get ripped off like that?
I exaggerated a little , but there are many airports that dont have a Boots or similar in the secured area, some only with expensive cafes.
Old April 30th, 2010, 04:48 PM   #1769
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Likes (Received): 88

Ryanair to withdraw from Budapest
April 30th, 2010

Low-cost airline Ryanair is to withdraw its flights from Budapest Ferihegy International Airport from October after failing to reach agreement with Budapest Airport on a reduction of the fees charged for using Ferihegy airport, Ryanair said at a press conference.

Budapest Airport says it is not concerned, asserting that the vacancy left by Ryanair will soon be filled by competitors.

Ryanair currently operates flights to Bristol, Dublin, East Midlands Airport and Glasgow's Prestwick Airport. The company was unable to achieve a reduction in fees even though it pledged to launch 25 new flights, it was reported by the online versions of several newspapers.

Ryanair said the new flights could have brought 2 million passengers per year within 1-2 years for Ferihegy Airport, in exchange for which the airline would have expected a significant reduction in airport costs. The new destinations could have included Barcelona, Malaga, Sicily and Gothenburg. Budapest Airport, however, rejected this offer, therefore, Ryanair decided to leave Budapest beginning in October, just as it leaves Prague airport earlier for similar reasons.

Budapest Airport Spokesman Károly Szilágyi told MTI that he does not expect Ryanair to leave a vacancy on the market for low-cost airlines as competitors have been expanding and announcing new flights.

http://www.bbj.hu/?col=1000&id=52618

As your Scottish airport to the world, you can fly direct from Glasgow to 120 worldwide destinations, more than any other Scottish Airport. As well as listing all flights and destinations on offer from Glasgow's Airports, you can also view all the latest news and see a full list of all new routes on offer from Glasgow. You can also view our tourist guide to Glasgow, Scotland's largest city.
GlasgowMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 08:21 PM   #1770
hkskyline
Hong Kong

EasyJet gets key backing after Stelios fallout

LONDON, May 17 (Reuters) - Budget airline easyJet's largest institutional investor, Standard Life , said on Monday it would back the group's management after founder Stelios Haji-Ioannou led a shareholder revolt on Friday.

Shares in airline easyJet fell as much as 6 percent on Monday after Haji-Ioannou, widely known as Stelios, resigned from the board on Friday.

"We are happy with the current management team, we are happy with the strategy, things are improving. They are doing a good job given what is happening in the airline industry," David Cumming, head of UK equities at Standard Life, said on BBC Radio's Today Programme.

"To be honest, although we are, as a sort of act of courtesy, listening to what Sir Stelios's views are, we are not supportive of them at present," he said.

Stelio accused management on Friday of pursuing "the wrong strategy for the expansion of the business", revolting against plans to increase the size of the airline's fleet. [ID:nLDE64D1PS]

He is expected to have a series of meetings this week to win over key investors as allies. Stelios controls 26 percent of easyJet via easyGroup, while his brother owns 11 percent. Standard Life is the second largest shareholder.

BRAND NEW

Analysts said a forthcoming high court case against easyJet over the interpretation of the brand licence agreement, expected to begin the week of June 8 and led by easyGroup, may also be linked to Stelios's decision.

"An annual payment for the use of the name would clearly get Stelios cash out of the business so the timing of his resignation may be in connection with this case, rather than simply to do with the future growth of easyJet," said analysts at Redburn Partners.

Stelios will also be fighting to return capital to shareholders, although his battle is likely to dent confidence in the stock in the short term, said analysts.

"In our view, Stelios wants to extract cash from the business by slowing capex and paying a dividend," said analysts at Deutsche Bank.

Old June 26th, 2010, 06:37 AM   #1771
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Want A Quote For An easyJet A320, Sir?
24 June 2010
Wall Street Journal

It's one of the best-kept secrets in the world. How much do airlines actually pay for their planes? The prices can be negotiated by airlines but should remain confidential, as that'll ensure no aggressive price war between duopoly manufacturers Airbus and Boeing.

I've been told I wouldn't be off the mark if you were to think that easyJet paid about $25 million originally for its first batch of A320 aircraft in 2002, probably paying closer to $35 million more recently. Let's remember the average list price for an A320 is $81.4 million; the basic aluminum tube will set you back $50 million.

easyJet's A320 orders and options to buy more planes have proved a bone of contention between the airline's boss Andy Harrison and founder Stelios Haji-Ioannou. The CEO wants to continue growing, while Stelios would rather the fleet expansion stops, and a dividend deployed.

I've seen minutes from the board meeting of May 5, which show the outgoing CEO Harrison still thinks exercising options are the right decision.

"AH [Andy Harrison] referred to 24 aircraft options for which the company had paid $250,000 each. These options had to be exercised by 31 July. As the aircraft order pipeline stood new aircraft would run out in 2013 if no more were ordered."

Harrison then says it would be sensible to convert some of those purchase rights.

Let's remember in 2005 and 2007 the Board approved the conversion of purchase rights granted under the Airbus contract to the status of firm orders and no aircraft have been ordered from Airbus since June 2007.

Minutes show Harrison then goes on to say: "The company retained the right to defer aircraft options by up to 2 years. Delivery dates should be agreed for the 24 options over the period 2012-2013. Having deferred the options twice already it's very unlikely that Airbus would allow the company to defer for a third time."

Now, easyJet have said many times it won't make any decision until incoming Chief Executive Carolyn McCall and Financial Director Chris Kennedy arrive. But it seems Airbus may need to give them more breathing space.

Old June 30th, 2010, 07:06 PM   #1772
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Ryanair to cut UK winter capacity, sees profit lift

LONDON, June 29 (Reuters) - Irish airline Ryanair said it would cut UK winter capacity by 16 percent from November, blaming the UK government's Air Passenger Duty (APD), adding that the move would lower its costs and boost profits.

The airline said it will switch these London-based aircraft to lower cost European bases, where governments have scrapped "tourist taxes" and reduced passenger charges, resulting in the loss of over 2 million passengers at UK airports.

At a press conference, Chief Executive Michael O'Leary said Ryanair could save about 10 million pounds ($15 million) by taking two aircraft out of London Stansted.

The UK capacity cuts should lower costs and boost profits, he said, declining to give further guidance.

The APD came into effect in November 1994 and taxes every passenger leaving the UK. The four-band duty currently ranges from 11 pounds to 110 pounds depending on the destination.

Ryanair said capacity at London Stansted will be reduced by 17 percent with the loss of up to 1.5 million passengers at the airport between November and March 2011.

It said this could lead to 2,500 jobs being cut at the airport of which less than 200 are expected to come from within Ryanair.

It cut winter capacity at Stansted last year by 14 percent.

Ryanair will also cut winter flights at most of its other UK bases, except Edinburgh and Leeds Bradford.

The tax and BAA's high airport charges are damaging UK tourism and the British economy generally, O'Leary said.

SUMMER BOOKINGS

Bookings, which were disrupted significantly by the volcanic ash cloud's impact on passenger confidence, have improved recently.

"Bookings over the last couple of weeks have been very strong and jumped significantly in the UK since Sunday," he said.

O'Leary, sporting a German soccer shirt, said bookings in the UK jumped 15 percent on Sunday from the week earlier after England's World Cup defeat to Germany took them out of the competition. Bookings were up 20 percent on Monday on the previous week, he added.

He tipped Brazil as winner of the tournament adding that he would be happy if all the European teams were knocked out so that bookings could get a lift.

The airline has carried 27 million passengers in the first five months of this year, a 3 million increase on the year earlier.

The ash cloud disruption affected bookings between April-June although average fares were higher and O'Leary said he expects these to rise significantly in the second quarter to end September.

Old July 29th, 2010, 06:23 PM   #1773
hkskyline
Hong Kong

EasyJet puts volcano costs at £65m
29 July 2010
Guardian Unlimited

The ash cloud which grounded flights over the Spring cost Easyjet £65m as the budget airline was forced to cancel 7,314 and disrupt the travel plans of nearly a million passengers

The volcanic ash cloud this spring cost easyJet £65m as the budget airline was forced to cancel 7,314 flights and disrupt the travel plans of nearly a million passengers.

Despite the disruption, easyJet said that revenues in the three months to end June rose more than 5%, to £759.2m and it expects to make a profit for the year as a whole of between £100m and £150m, compared with £43.7m last year.

The company, which has been embroiled in a spat with bitter rival Ryanair, said forward bookings are in line with last year and it has sold 64% of seats for the three months to end September, its fourth financial quarter.

The eruption of a volcano on Iceland's Eyjafjallajökull glacier caused travel chaos in April and May as vast swathes of European airspace were closed. Last week Ryanair said the volcano cost the airline €50m (£42m).

Easyjet said that stripping out the effects of the volcano, the number of "seats flown" – or occupied seats – in its flights increased 10% in the quarter. Taking into account the volcano, however, growth was a more modest 1.7%. Overall, total revenue per seat in the last three months actually rose 3.5% to £53.23, driven by an increase in passenger revenues.

The firm's new chief executive, Carolyn McCall, former boss of Guardian Media Group, said: "EasyJet has continued to deliver a good commercial performance in the quarter with total revenue up 5.3%. This was in spite of the challenges presented by significant disruption caused by volcanic ash and, more recently, the combination of air traffic control industrial action and crewing issues in some parts of our network."

McCall is already having to deal with a potential shareholder rebellion despite only being with the business for four weeks; Sir Stelios Haji-Ioannou, the airline's founder and still its largest shareholder, has been waging a bitter public battle over strategy with the board for well over a year. Earlier this month Haji-Ioannou even threatened to remove the low-cost airline's right to the "easy" name claiming it is in breach of a brand licence that limits the carrier's earnings from non-core activities to no more than 25% of revenues. Haji-Ioannou has demanded that easyJet curbs plans to boost its fleet from 189 aeroplanes to 208 by 2012 and wants the board to recommend a dividend.

Old July 30th, 2010, 03:25 AM   #1774
totolotek
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
In Ukraine, killing the dogs before the Euro 2012

The organization of EURO 2012 became the pretext for the authorities of Ukraine to the mass extermination of stray animals living on the streets. streets. For this purpose, inter alia, purchased Lisicziansk Mobile crematorium, by which, in theory utilizes the killed animals, in practice throwing a vivid, sometimes only stunned or anaesthetized by pharmacological means.

In Kiev and other cities to the extermination of the poison used, resulting in long and painful agony of the animals. Officially, the dogs buried in mass graves, calling it "method of soil mineralization. Representatives of organizations defending the rights of animals in Ukraine reported that the dealings, which are spent enormous financial resources, is highly corrupt - the majority of funds for this purpose is stolen, resulting in the killing of animals without retaining any procedures, at the lowest cost.

September 18, 2009 in Nikolayev city departments have carried out a massive campaign winding dogs. Witnesses saw how the dogs were shot in broad daylight, their corpses were lying in public places. Part of the poisoned animals - used small doses of poisons, which is why the dogs died slowly and in pain. The carcasses of dead dogs are exported out of town and there were buried in mass graves.

In the mass liquidation of dogs killed the pets that have got lost, which are waiting at home owners. The ditch in Lugano, volunteers found a dog with a visible trace of the collar. It turned out that it was the dog that fit the description of the animal, in Lugansk sought by his owner. The woman identified the dead animal to have a photograph taken by volunteers.

"He was quiet, gentle and well mannered dog. He was loved by car park security, custodians, drivers. He was very trusting towards people. It is not known if he had been given poison. However, suffered the longest, was still able to crawl under the car and hide, hoping to survive. But the poison has performed its task. The killer did not take the dog. “Mischka” was lying dead in the parking lot two days. "

Unwanted and Forgotten Foundation - SOS for Animals plans to make a petition directly to the Ukrainian authorities as well as through the Polish authorities, as co-organizers of the championships, to exert pressure on their partners. Call to stop the disgraceful laundering will also be directed to the football associations, UEFA, the Football Association and other institutions responsible for organizing the EURO 2012.

Also, you can protest against the treatment of animals bestial Ukraine and join those already protesting the site Wirtualni.wp.pl . Organizers will also encourage the shares to join the protest on Facebook. For more information, please visit the Foundation www.niechcianeizapomniane.org .
Hi! I know this is not an appropriate thread to put such an information, but I just want to inform people around the whole world what terrible and cruel things are happening( with an approval of ukraine's government!!!) in a country that is going to organize EURO 2012!!! I realize that I expose myself to get a ban, but my intention is only to do sth to stop this barbarous procedure in Ukraine....
Here you'll find movies and other informations regarding the article:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...66744&page=249
totolotek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2010, 07:27 PM   #1775
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Ryanair promises 500,000 arrivals in five years
19 August 2010
Cyprus Mail

LOW-COST airline Ryanair’s two new routes to Cyprus from November will deliver 60,000 passengers a year to as part of an agreement that will increase tourist numbers by 500,000 over the next five years, the airline said yesterday.

Ryanair spokeswoman Laura McCormack said yesterday that the airline will commence flights between Brussels and Cyprus on November 3. "We have one route from Larnaca to Brussels (Charleroi) and a second route to be confirmed very shortly, which will provide visitors to Cyprus with really low fares for the first time. The two new Cyprus routes will deliver 60,000 passengers a year to Larnaca, and will create up to 60 jobs", she said.

Tickets for the Brussels service, which will operate on Wednesdays and Saturdays, will initially cost from 34.99 including all taxes.

Hermes Airports CEO Alfred van der Meer said that "what Ryanair are offering to the market is fantastic price levels, and that is what will bring new people, new markets to Cyprus. They have committed to bring half a million tourists to the country over the next five years. When you consider that each tourist will spend 700, that’s 350 million added to the economy of Cyprus - that is what Ryanair is bringing us."

Van der Meer said that the opening of the new Larnaca airport last November was a milestone, as "it fundamentally changed the product that Cyprus has to offer to visitors, tourists and the Cypriot people. But it didn’t change the market - it did not necessarily bring a lot of new people to the country. I think that with the introduction of Ryanair we will have more milestones, because we will see a fundamental change in the market. The product that Ryanair offers is a different product, which will open new markets. Young people who before maybe flew once a year will now fly three or four times a year for the same price."

"Of course, they are not doing this because they like us so much, they are doing it to make money, and I think that if we work well together we can all make money", he added.

After more than three years of on-off discussions, and several weeks of hard negotiating recently between Ryanair, Hermes Airports - which operates Larnaca and Paphos airports - the CTO and the government, the Dublin-based airline made its final decision on Monday evening.

One crucial factor in Ryanair’s decision was the issue of landing charges in Cyprus - passed on to travellers in the form of "airport taxes" - which have come in for industry criticism for being too high in the current economic climate.

Van der Meer told the Mail that the agreement with Ryanair on landing charges had a very specific basis. "We have a commitment from them, that in the next five years they will bring a total of 500,000 tourists to the country, and on the basis of that commitment we gave them a deal on charges", he said. "We are giving them a discount on the passenger seats they don’t use, but that is only if they deliver on the annual targets they have committed to", he added.

Hermes’ contribution will be in addition to the government’s continuing emergency subsidy of all airlines to the tune of 25 per cent of landing charges plus an additional payment of 4 per traveller. Currently, this subsidy is officially due to finish at the end of the year.

Another crucial factor is Ryanair’s strategic plans for growth through expansion into the Middle East, broadly hinted at by the Commerce Ministry, Cyprus Tourism Organisation (CTO) as well as van der Meer, although McCormack refused to be drawn on the subject.

"We have seven or eight airports competing at the moment to be a base, and it would be great to make Cyprus a base and involve it in our development here. We are open to suggestions", McCormack said.

Ryanair is Europe’s largest low-cost carrier, the third largest airline in Europe in terms of passenger numbers and the largest in the world in terms of international passenger numbers - 66 million in 2009, with a target of 73.5 million in 2010. The airline has 44 bases, operating 1,300 daily flights on 1,100-plus low fare routes across 26 countries, connecting 157 destinations.

Van der Meer said: "We are looking to grow the numbers at the airport, and through that grow tourism to Cyprus. So it has to be about new destinations, and in principle about opening new markets... Eastwards is where the growth in the market is. If we can get some flights to Bahrain or Dubai that would be great, but Israel or Lebanon are logical as well, as people will travel more if you offer capacity to the market."

"It’s not about the 60,000 passengers a year - that’s just the first step. If the market is really there, their intention is to grow by looking at different destinations and seeing how they fit. As to exactly what they will do and where, they will play the market as it goes along. But to become part of the Ryanair ‘family’ means a lot", he said.

Speaking at the press conference, CTO chairman Alecos Orouniotis referred to "truly new prospects" opened up by the airline’s arrival, saying that he hoped that "Cyprus will become established as an important and successful hub for Ryanair’s future plans in the region, with very positive consequences for our country."

Orouniotis also confirmed that the CTO will support the airline’s efforts to bring more tourists to the island by promoting its flight schedules through CTO offices abroad and the organisation’s strategic partners.

Delivering a message from Commerce and Tourism Minister Antonis Paschalides, who is abroad on an engagement, ministry official Christos Mallikides said that Ryanair’s move was "a significant step forward" for Cyprus, and both the ministry and the government in general "will continue to support its effort to increase tourist flows to Cyprus."

Although the CTO launched its Air Route Development Scheme (ARDS) a year ago, Phylaktides said that this was not used for Ryanair. The ARDS is an EU-approved start-up scheme that allows public money to be used to support new European air routes.

"The ARDS did not produce any results when we announced the scheme. The timing was perhaps inappropriate, in the midst of an economic recession, when airlines were not including expansion in their plans", Phylaktides said. He added that the CTO will keep monitoring the situation, and "when we consider that the time is right, we will reintroduce the scheme."

Van der Meer said that "Ryanair is about giving you choices. If you want to take bags with you, you pay; if you don’t, you don’t pay for it. On a national carrier, if you go to Athens with just hand luggage, you will pay anyway, because other people have bags - you will pay for the luggage system and so on."

Asked if Ryanair’s arrival might affect Hermes’ revenues from EasyJet and Monarch - the low-cost airlines already operating in Cyprus - van der Meer said that the deal struck over landing charges involves incremental growth in passenger numbers rather than "cannibalising" existing traffic.

Van der Meer added that "if any other airline offers to make the same commitment, we would do the same deal. As we said to the government: if we don’t do it, you get nothing, but if we do it, then it is additional traffic that is generated, incremental tourism and incremental income."

CTO Acting Director General Lefkos Phylactides said "we are cautiously optimistic. Ryanair’s decision to introduce new flights to Cyprus is indeed a milestone - I think it gives a vote of confidence to the aviation and tourism industries of Cyprus. I’m sure that over the next few years we will see an expansion of their operations here, and this will be a clear signal to other airlines to consider Cyprus."

Old August 31st, 2010, 06:06 PM   #1776
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Ryanair Holdings To Close Belfast City Base
31 August 2010

LONDON (Dow Jones)--Ryanair Holdings PLC (RYA.LN), an airline company announced Tuesday it would close its Belfast City Airport base at the end of the current summer schedule on Sun Oct. 31.

MAIN FACTS:

-This is following the airport's confirmation that the public inquiry into the promised runway extension will be further delayed, thereby delaying the launch of Ryanair low fare flights from Belfast City Airport.

-From early in November, Ryanair will switch its one Belfast City based aircraft to another European airport, with the loss of 50 Ryanair jobs (all staff will be offered relocation elsewhere in the U.K. or Europe) and the loss of 1 million passengers annually, which will result in the loss of up to 1,000 support jobs in and around Belfast City Airport.

Old October 12th, 2010, 09:40 AM   #1777
hkskyline
Hong Kong

EasyJet To Keep Name After Overhauling Terms With Founder
11 October 2010

LONDON (Dow Jones)--EasyJet PLC (EZJ.LN) Monday said it has resolved a two-year brand licence dispute with easyGroup IP, which will see the airline keep its "easyJet" name and founder Stelios Haji-Ioannou lose his right to appoint himself to the board.

The deal allows easyJet to enter new co-branding agreements and promotions with other travel service providers as well as car hire, hotels and travel insurance companies.

It will also now be allowed to lease non-easyJet planes from other airlines or lease out its own aircraft without easyGroup's permission.

EasyJet chairman Mike Rake said, "I believe the revised agreement better aligns the interests of easyJet shareholders and the Licensor."

At 0821 GMT, easyJet shares were up 17 pence, or 3.7% at 468 pence, leading the FTSE 250 climbers in a broadly higher London market.

EasyJet's rights will continue for a 50-year term, with a minimum 10-year commitment. Haji-Ioannou-- who, together with his family, owns a 36.3% stake in the airline --will receive a fixed payment of GBP3.9 millionin 2011, with that sum rising to GBP4.95 million in 2012. Thereafter, there will be an annual royalty payment of 0.25% of easyJet's revenues.

In return, the founder has agreed to surrender his rights to appoint himself as easyJet Chairman or appoint a representative to the board.

Haji-Ioannou said the deal was fair to both sides. However, it could face resistance from other shareholders, whose approval is needed at an upcoming Extraordinary General Meeting.

Charles Stanley analyst Douglas McNeill said other shareholders will focus on how the agreement will affect future dividends.

Chief Executive Carolyn McCall said the airline had spoken to major shareholders this weekend and they were "supportive" of the deal as it takes away some of the uncertainty and creates more flexibility with its corporate governance.

However, she said she could give no guarantees to them about the company's future dividend policy, which will be assessed as part of the company's capital structure and overall review due in November.

Haji-Ioannou said he hopes the board will use the "expanded scope of the brand licence to create value for all shareholders," adding that the way low-cost airlines make money has changed over the 10 years since the original licence was signed.

Under the terms of the previous deal, easyJet paid Haji-Ioannou just GBP1 a year in royalties to use the brand. The airline has also rid itself of the previous 75%-25% rule whereby at least 75% of easyJet's revenue must originate from the airline's core business or services derived thereof. This rule prevents easyJet becoming a conglomerate and easyGroup becoming an airline.

Before the summer, both sides went to the High Court to ask a judge to decide what is defined as core activities and what comes under ancillary revenue, or sales other than ticket fares.

However, there continues to be some concern that tensions could flare up again.

McCall decline to provide the names the airline has chosen to replace "easyJet" if the brand had been withdrawn, adding it may still need it as part of a "contingency" plan.

She added that both sides have agreed that any future dispute will be resolved by "swift arbitration," which will help limit costs and lost revenue.

The two-year dispute has cost easyJet GBP4 million in legal costs and GPB3 million in lost revenue generated from marketing or sports deals. McCall added it has lost GBP3 million to GBP4 million in revenue from foregoing white label opportunities.

McCall said Haji-Ioannou has agreed not to compete with easyJet for one year with his easyHolidays venture, where he could have sold easyJet flights and launched a price comparison site.

"It's competition..but we will have to live with it," McCall said of Haji-Ioannou's plans.

A spokesman for easyJet added that Haji-Ioannou has also agreed not to sell shares in easyGroup or easyJet for two years, or sell easyJet to any airline for three years.

While the deal puts to rest some issues faced by the airline, which has seen a public boardroom spat and a run of senior boardroom resignations, including those of former Group Finance Director Jeff Carr and Chief Executive Andy Harrison, there remain problems with the efficiency of its operations.

Its poor "basic trading performance" continues to risk its share price value, according to Charles Stanley's McNeill. The airline has admitted to crew shortages and ineffective rostering on some parts of its network that has hampered its punctuality and tarnished its brand.

Still, last week the airline raised its profit guidance for the fiscal year to end-September to be slightly ahead of GBP150 million, up from between GBP100 million and GBP150 million. The boost in profits has been driven by robust performance, particularly on routes between the U.K. and European beach and city destinations.

Old October 14th, 2010, 07:58 PM   #1778
marki
Moon Transit

Not every passenger is happy with Ryanair: "O'Leary suggested the airline might do away with co-pilots by training flight attendants to fill their role"??

'I Hate Ryanair' website handed over ... to Ryanair
Brisbane Times - Craig Platt - October 13, 2010
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/trav...013-16iux.html

An angry passenger who set up a website called 'I Hate Ryanair' has been ordered to hand over the site's name to the airline he despises.

Robert Tyler, of London, set up the site in 2007 as a means for disgruntled Ryanair passengers to share their horror stories about the budget carrier.

Outspoken Ryanair boss Michael O'Leary complained about the site in April this year, branding the website "vitriolic and highly disparaging", the Guardian reports.

Despite the fact that the website made clear it had no official links to the airline, authorities ruled the web address had to be handed over to Ryanair because Tyler had made money from the site.

The adjudicators at Nominet, which manages web addresses in Britain, said Tyler had made £322 in advertising revenue from the site. This was the crucial factor that saw Tyler forced to shut down the site.

One of Nominet's experts, Jane Seager said if the domain name used a company's brand it “must be wholly devoted to honest criticism and open discussion and not potentially tainted by commercial concerns".

Ryanair had accused the site of taking unfair advantage of its brand name and making defamatory statements about the airline's service and safety standards.

However, the airline's victory has been shortlived. Tyler immediately set up a new website, ihateryanair.org, which he stated on the hompage would “continue to provide you with all the latest" on "this pathetic excuse for an airline”.

“We are yet to decide on whether or not to appeal the decision,” the site read. “It costs around £3000 to do so, which could be used instead to buy 16,000,000 Ryanair flights (not including booking fees, credit card fees, baggage fees, bus from the airport in the middle of nowhere etc).”

Ryanair has regularly courted controversy in Europe over its cost-cutting measures. Most recently O'Leary suggested the airline might do away with co-pilots by training flight attendants to fill their role.

Other suggestions O'Leary has made - possibly in jest - including charging passengers to use the toilets on board aircraft, installing 'standing room' seats and suggesting passengers carry their own checked luggage to the plane's cargo hold.

Too much time alone on ur keyboard ... Lets meetup instead

Old October 14th, 2010, 08:09 PM   #1779
hkskyline
Hong Kong

So next time don't put advertising on it!

Old October 14th, 2010, 09:36 PM   #1780
RMPA
Grinch

Likes (Received): 3

There should be another page for I hate Easy Shi... too... worst airlines around the globe!!! perhaps the meanest crew and flight attendants in the history of commercial aviation...