daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 24th, 2005, 05:01 PM   #41
teunster

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grollo
Yes but how many over 250m?

To Roof-
Melbourne: 2
Sydney: 0

Including spires-
Melbourne: 4
Sydney:0

Tallest skyscraper-
Sydney: World Tower, 230m
Melbourne: Eureka Tower, 297m

Including spires:
Sydney: Chifley Tower, 244m
Melbourne: Eureka Tower, 350m

Poor Sydney heheheehe
So childisch..
teunster no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2005, 01:18 PM   #42
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10124

heres a recent pic by citiboy. from 15km from coast. you can see how Q1 realy has impacted the skyline. it still has a 35m fin structure and 50m spire to go.

defec8r
Old February 28th, 2005, 01:36 PM   #43
Barsby
Arsenal4Life

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar
um reality check... not unless Sydney gets blown up in a nuclear war or an alien invasion. Sydney is far from loosing its preminence - I think once council goes and someone with balls takes over Melbourne and the GC will be left for dead in the height stakes.

ummm reality check that aint gonna happen anytime soon so i wouldnt go getting ur hopes up. So arrogant, but that doesnt suprise me i have to admit.

P.S. I like sydney too, just a pity 95% of the people that live there are tossers.

P.P.S. what does this thread have to do with sydney anyway......'Eureka reaches 900ft & Q1 reaches 800ft!!' Melbourne & Gold Coast, so piss off!
Barsby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2005, 01:51 PM   #44
sirhc8

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barsby
ummm reality check that aint gonna happen anytime soon so i wouldnt go getting ur hopes up. So arrogant, but that doesnt suprise me i have to admit.

P.S. I like sydney too, just a pity 95% of the people that live there are tossers.

P.P.S. what does this thread have to do with sydney anyway......'Eureka reaches 900ft & Q1 reaches 800ft!!' Melbourne & Gold Coast, so piss off!
It's true that Avatar says some pretty stupid things sometimes and is completely blind to the achievements of other cities but by responding in this manner, you've brought yourself down to his level and beyond.
sirhc8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2005, 02:10 PM   #45
Barsby
Arsenal4Life

ahh well thats ur opinion and ur entitled to it.

heres another one from avatars level aswell, go and have a toss in the world tower thread, nothing else happening in syd.
Old February 28th, 2005, 03:00 PM   #46
Bahraini Spirit

Likes (Received): 4

Those two last pics are great especially the 1st one. I still can't understand, they the hostility between the ppl of sydney and melbourne? Can it be because one thinks his city is better than the other n vice versa or it's other stuff?

Last edited by Bahraini Spirit; March 1st, 2005 at 12:50 PM.
Bahraini Spirit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2005, 03:32 PM   #47
Barsby
Arsenal4Life

no its the fact that sydneysiders dont realise there is any other cities in Australia.
Old February 28th, 2005, 10:52 PM   #48
SUNNI

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahraini Spirit
Those two last pics especially of melbourne are great. I still can't understand, they the hostility between the ppl of sydney and melbourne? Can it be because one thinks his city is better than the other n vice versa or it's other stuff?
both of these last two pics are gold coast
Old March 1st, 2005, 12:14 AM   #49
Skyscrapercitizen
TIMBY

Likes (Received): 5423

I love Q1, what an enourmous and great tower!
Old March 1st, 2005, 04:04 AM   #50
1st Division Marine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

not a bad looking picture its looking really great.
1st Division Marine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2005, 04:29 AM   #51
Barsby
Arsenal4Life

Eureka today
Old March 1st, 2005, 04:31 AM   #52
Ellatur

Likes (Received): 10

eureka is coming out so much better than i thought it would be
Ellatur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2005, 05:49 AM   #53
Grollo
Developer

Likes (Received): 1015

Behold Eureka:

by Kasperluke

by Hacksaw

by Silvermb

by Sirbugalugs

Old March 1st, 2005, 07:45 AM   #54
some_stupid_nut

Likes (Received): 3

Eureka still has a long way to go!
Old March 1st, 2005, 08:03 AM   #55
SUNNI

Likes (Received): 31

is that last render official?
Old March 1st, 2005, 08:39 AM   #56
Barsby
Arsenal4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by some_stupid_nut
Eureka still has a long way to go!
not really only 3 more floors to pour in the core, then attach a 50m mast, she's getting there! Render not official its from The Age newspaper, i'm pretty sure, but the mast will look like that if it gets approved.
Old March 1st, 2005, 08:57 AM   #57
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 846

Wow........Eureka looks great.
Sydney has the best situation and most noticeable landmarks ......Opera House and Harbour Bridge but Melbourne has definatly the most striking skyscrapers.

I'd love to go to both but alas I have never been to Australia. I think Sydney would be nice but from almost anyone I have ever talked to they all prefer Melbourne by a long shot. I've always been told that Sydney is nice to look at but, like Vancouver, the city doesn't have much to offer. Everyone seems to rave about Melbourne's shopping, restaurants, architecture, and sophistication. Almost everyone I've met seems to say that Melbourne is the true gem of Australia's cities.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2005, 09:06 AM   #58
zulu69
selling my body since 88'

Likes (Received): 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahraini Spirit
Those two last pics especially of melbourne are great. I still can't understand, they the hostility between the ppl of sydney and melbourne? Can it be because one thinks his city is better than the other n vice versa or it's other stuff?
The prob is that Melb was once the top dog in OZ because of the gold rush way back say 100 yrs ago. Ever since Sydney has taken over and has now reached such heights that it is now a global city that doesnt compete with OZ but in the world. *Some* (and i do mean some) still have hostility of that fact... dont really understand why tho, we are all aussie's????

Ok back on topic.. we are lucky to get two such great buildings. Each is different and beautiful in different ways. I think Eureka will be australia's tallest for a long time! (although i think they should design a better spire)
zulu69 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2005, 09:22 AM   #59
Lightning~Bolt
Proud "Pricktorian"

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu69
The prob is that Melb was once the top dog in OZ because of the gold rush way back say 100 yrs ago. Ever since Sydney has taken over and has now reached such heights that it is now a global city that doesnt compete with OZ but in the world. *Some* (and i do mean some) still have hostility of that fact... dont really understand why tho, we are all aussie's????

Ok back on topic.. we are lucky to get two such great buildings. Each is different and beautiful in different ways. I think Eureka will be australia's tallest for a long time! (although i think they should design a better spire)

that is very true though about the gold rush and such, its what pushed melbourne to where is is, look at some of the old style buildings we have, very, very rich because of the gold that was coming in, melbourne/victoria even had australias largest population, thehn sydney took over, I think from memory I read because a lot of the europeans in that day liked sydneys appeal and being australias first settlement (yep, by a bunch of crooks/convicts, melbourbe by free settlers;-) ) a lot of migrants chose sydney over other cities because of this, so the population soon tok over melbournes, now this is all changing again I guess.
If nothing else, I think that anyone visiting the forum will take comfort in the fact of knowing that no matter how low their own IQ may be, by comparison to the morons in that forum, they're practically geniuses.
Lightning~Bolt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2005, 09:23 AM   #60
Lightning~Bolt
Proud "Pricktorian"

Likes (Received): 16

btw I dont know about sydney being a "world city" the olympics defenetly put sydney on the world stage however, not many eople even knew where sydney or melbourne was until the 2000 games...

but im just biased, so maybe not;-)
If nothing else, I think that anyone visiting the forum will take comfort in the fact of knowing that no matter how low their own IQ may be, by comparison to the morons in that forum, they're practically geniuses.
Lightning~Bolt no está en línea   Reply With Quote